Aurora (209)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeffer
    from what i understood they would have died almost insinatly if they woke them up. like the Captin said we have been in Stais for 10000 years our bodies must be old and shep said yes Too old

Its Stais but you body still ages just at a slower rate like Weir in Before I Sleep
    But unlike Weir, wouldn't the Ancients healing abilities allow them to handle the aging in the statis pods better once awakened? Just doesn't seem too bright to have Weir be able to last several days after she gets out of the statis pods but not the ancients. I certainly hope McKay found something out that could be useful in the future or else this episode will be one gigantic waste of my time.

Comment

I probably should have posted this in one of the other threads, but since I like (and rarely get the opportunity to) start threads.... Here is a synopsis of the ep. with a couple quick notes at the end (the titles are chess terms).

"The Opening Move"
      The episode begins with a short scene between Ronan and Weir. Two "scientists" are playing chess in the cafeteria, but to Ronan it seems that they are just staring at each other. Weir enters with her tray of brightly coloured jello in tow and asks Ronan if he would mind if she joined him. After explaining the finer points of chess to him (it's about plotting your next move and the move after that etc) he excuses himself, telling her he is leaving. (he's not very impressed with the strategies of chess) She mistakenly believes he is leaving the team and begins to rail on about the amount of time and resources Sheppard has put into him, to which he explains that he is "just leaving the table" (jeez can you blame him?) She quickly apologizes and luckily for her the awkward moment is interrupted by a communicae from Rodney.

"Occupation"
      Rodney explains that with the new zpm in place (Siege 3 - 2x01) more Atlantis systems are now online. One of these systems tracked Ancient warships during the war and has sent out a beacon that recalls these ships back to Atlantis. Of course this ship (that is being picked up on the sensors) is so far away that the only way to reach it is with the Daedalus, giving Weir another opportunity to lock horns with Cadwell, and giving us a team shot worthy of a comic book cover ('Nuff said). On the way to the Ancient ship they find that a Wraith scout ship has also detected the Aurora, but no problem they just simply drop out of warp/hyperspace/whatever and blow it up. When they actually arrive at the warship they are a little disappointed, it's obviously been through some rough times and is a little worse for wear. On board they find hundred of stasis pods, with the Ancients inside but they are so old that reviving them would kill them. Rodney realizes that the pods are linked - (like in the Matrix) and that if he puts himself in stasis he can "log on" and communicate with them, only Sheppard thinks it's safer if he goes instead of Rodney. In a beautiful scene of reverse psychology, Teyla asks McKay "If something were to go wrong, who would be the greater loss?" McKay (obviously) concludes it would be him and agrees that Sheppard should go in his place. (Loved the look on Sheppards face as he tried to figure out if Teya was serious or not).

"Transitions"
      Sheppard arrives in the virtual world (aka "The Matrix") and surprise, suprise, they don't know they are in a "virtual environment" and think Sheppard is nuts. (this could also have something to do with the way he kinda lightly sways when he sees a pretty girl They quickly throw him into lock-up and explain that they are too busy working on the "Hyper drive" (that will get them back to Atlantis quickly) to deal with him right now. They also mention something about a wraith weakness they've discovered that will help them win the war. He "clicks his heels together three times" and poof he's back in the real world. After explaining the situation to Rodney and Cadwell he goes back in and tries to explain "the truth" (about the war, how much time has passed etc) to the Captain's First Officer (aka pretty girl), but she's not buying. Back in da real world Cadwell tells Rodney that 2 Wraith ships are on their way (probably trying to figure out what happened to their scout ship) and Teyla and Ronan find a Wraith inside one of the pods. It seems that the Wraith have found Aurora a long time ago and have figured out how to tap into the "virtual environment" system. Sheppard uses some Jedi mind tricks to get out of his cell but he is caught and returned before he can make any head way with the Captain. Cadwell (who is worried about the approaching Wraith cruisers) tells Rodney to get Sheppard out of the pod, so he can destroy the Aurora, but because Sheppard is unconscious inside the "virtual environment" Rodney says it's too risky. Cadwell (who IMO seems much to eager bring harm to Sheppard) says it's worth the risk. "Do it, or my men will." Of course Rodney can't let his good buddy die, so he decides to go into "the Matrix" to get him.

"Time Pressure"
      Rodney arrives in the "virtual world" and is put in the brig with Sheppard. He tells him about the Wraith on the inside (which I just realized is kinda like Agent Smith jacking into the real world) and Sheppard immediately realizes it's the First Officer, I mean come on she didn't even bat an eye lash at all his flirting. They bust out of prison, Rodney is shocked by how hot the Wraith girl is, and they discover that the information about the Wraith weakness has been deleted. They also realize that the Wraith are using the simulation to gather information on how to supe up their hyperdrives so they can get to earth. Rodney now remembers to tell Sheppard about the 2 wraith ships on the way and that Cadwell intends to blow up the Aurora any minute. Sheppard tells him to go and disconnect the wraith while he tries to get the information (about the Wraith weakness) from the Captain.
      Sheppard makes it to the bridge and exposes the First Officer as a wraith, at first the Captain doesn't believe him, but as Rodney tries to disconnect her/him/the wraith from the program some disturbingly wraith like features begin to show through the "hot girl" facade. When she disappears altogether the Captain realizes that Sheppard is telling the truth. Meanwhile Rodney now has to deal with a semi conscious wraith back on the Aurora and hilarity ensues as he shoots at it while simultaneously running away. Back in the "virtual environment" the Captain tells Sheppard that he does not have the information on the wraith weakness. The Ancient Council stored the comminuncae in the ships computer (which has been erased) but never told him what was in it. He (the captain) ponders the fate of him and his crew (being that they are all too old to be revived and can never return to Atlantis) and then asks Sheppard for a favour.

"Breakthrough"
      Sheppard and Rodney beam back to the Daedulus and explain that the Captain has given them the self destruct code for the Aurora and assured him that the blast will take out the two Wraith cruisers as well. They move to a safe distance and watch the fireworks go off making sure that nothing was communicated from the Wraith ships before they were destroyed. Back on Atlantis after debriefing Weir they follow through with Sheppards promise to the captain and raise a toast to the crew of the Aurora.

Quick Notes:
      - Woo hoo! Rodney back in form! And is just me or is he starting to have some serious "man love" for Sheppard
      - I know I mentioned it above but I really like Sheppard's reaction to Teylas reverse psychology. She also did a good job of both lying to Cadwell and convincing him to be patient with Rodney.
      - Lot's of similarities to the Matrix, even the music was similar. When Rodney said he was going in after Sheppard I almost laughed out loud because it was just like when Neo and Trinity were going in for Morpheus. And the scene when Sheppard and Rodney break out of the brig...
      - Overall it was an okay episode except that we didn't really learn anything about the Ancients or the wraith except that the Wraith are still trying to get to earth.

I'm sure I'll have more to say when it's not 2:00 am in the morning.

lates,
      Last edited by birdieey; 20 September 2005, 08:25 AM.
      b.

Comment

A decent episode, but what I don't understand is time inside the "virtual environment" and outside seemed to pass at the same rate.

The example of this being when Sheppard was imprisoned (the first time) within the simulation he exited the simulated world, then waited a little while and went back in. By that time the guard was inside his cell checking where he went and he was able to escape.

So if 10,000 years go by why didn't the ancients figure out something was just a little wrong when they didn't age or die after so long?

The episode really reminded me of a TNG ep where the enterprise finds the ruins Iconia, with no people but amazing tech, and they have to destroy it to prevent the Romulans from getting hold of the all the advanced tech. The plot seems really old and used up in many series.

Comment

I thought the episode was predictable too...I figured out who the Wraith was almost right away because the woman was trying really hard to prevent Sheppard from speaking to the captain. Also none of the other characters on the ship stood out.

What saved this episode was the character interactions. I loved the Sheppard/McKay moments and the Teyla/Ronon moment. the beginning was kind of cute too.

I also didn't like the time pressure in the episode and I think they could have defrosted some of the ancients. it's just frustrating that they never really learn more about them. Though I think McKay may have mentioned that the pods weren't quite like what they had at Atlantis...so maybe that's why they would die. but surely some of those ancients were young when they went in? I mean if someone was 18...wouldn't they have a better shot than the people already 3 decades older? if you tried to revive them?

Anyway, I'm trying not to compare SGA to BSG...but episodes like this make me wonder if the writers of BSG wrote an episode for SGA would it be much better?

Comment

Originally posted by Franklyn Blaze
            A decent episode, but what I don't understand is time inside the "virtual environment" and outside seemed to pass at the same rate.

The example of this being when Sheppard was imprisoned (the first time) within the simulation he exited the simulated world, then waited a little while and went back in. By that time the guard was inside his cell checking where he went and he was able to escape.

So if 10,000 years go by why didn't the ancients figure out something was just a little wrong when they didn't age or die after so long?

The episode really reminded me of a TNG ep where the enterprise finds the ruins Iconia, with no people but amazing tech, and they have to destroy it to prevent the Romulans from getting hold of the all the advanced tech. The plot seems really old and used up in many series.

McKay said the VR only started up when they activated the recall program on Atlantis and it started broadcasting it's beacon, this was a guess though. I think it's more likely the beacon was activated, and the wraith got to it first and figured out that they could wipe the short term memory of the people in the pods and start up the VR.

Comment

Good episode.

Seeing as how Canadian TV is airing Stargate Atlantis does this mean there will be no long summer mid-season break? Will it continue to air on Canadian TV like it did last season?

Comment

Originally posted by verbalkint
                But unlike Weir, wouldn't the Ancients healing abilities allow them to handle the aging in the statis pods better once awakened? Just doesn't seem too bright to have Weir be able to last several days after she gets out of the statis pods but not the ancients. I certainly hope McKay found something out that could be useful in the future or else this episode will be one gigantic waste of my time.
                What healing abilities? There's been no mention of that. And I note that healing abilities are different to slowing the aging process.

Comment

Originally posted by birdieey
                  ...and giving us a team shot worthy of a comic book cover ('Nuff said).
                  How true:

a time to mourn

Comment

After episode 10 airs next monday their schedule shows reruns for at least 5 weeks after. http://www.themovienetwork.ca/starga...s/schedule.php

On a sidenote, Space in Canada starts airing SG-1 Season 9 on Thursday November 10th and if they go straight through the should either air 1 day ahead of SciFi or 6 days behind.

Comment

I had higher expectations for this episode. i mean why cant we at least get something out of it. A little dissapointed.

We dont get any "intel", no ancients, no back story.

Solid episode but ehh, i had wanted more.
                      come read my website!!!!!!!!!

www.xanga.com/keppiezbt

Comment

i was expecting something good from aurora, shame it was no better than a regular episode.

Comment

I especially liked Weir at the start. Funny.
                          The rest of the ep was good, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nee
                            i was expecting something good from aurora, shame it was no better than a regular episode.
                            i can only agree with you. It was a dissapointment for me. So much talk about it but on the end nothing special... From 1-10 (best) i would rate it 4. i

Comment

Originally posted by Hatcheter
                              How true:

yeah that was an awesome scine i also like the way they ended it showing respect to the crew that gave there lives for them
                              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Carbito
                                Good episode.

Seeing as how Canadian TV is airing Stargate Atlantis does this mean there will be no long summer mid-season break? Will it continue to air on Canadian TV like it did last season?

It looks like we will get the same pattern as last year (inleast on the east coast - iow those folks that get TMN). So it will likely air repeats for the first 10 episodes and then head straight into the back half in late November to mid December.

Folks in the west receiving Movie Central will likely catch up or even pass the east coast in this time frame (Im rooting for this even if I cant receive MC).

Comment

Working...
                                X