Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lost's 20 Million Pilot Dollars-Why so much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost's 20 Million Pilot Dollars-Why so much?

I recently read in TV guide that Lost's pilot costed 20 Million Dollars.
    Instead of renting the DVD just to watch it, I decided to ask you guys. Why did the Lost pilot cost so much?

Images are welcome.
    Last edited by NowIWillDestroyAbydos; 07 September 2005, 12:36 PM.
    sigpic

I heard it cost 5 million

anyway they bought a plane and broke it up and then scattered the pieces across the beach
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I have no certain idea but why not try guessing at what was included in their budget?

Costume - several thousand dollars
      Average plane ticket and cost of flying each actor to Hawaii + Hotel (if they paid)
      $1,000 more or less x # of cast & crew
      Permits for filming in Hawaii... a couple thousand dollars
      Purchasing a jet for the purpose of blowing it up; explosives, stunt people, special effects cost, clean-up costs.... a couple hundred thousand dollars at the least I'd guess but probably more
      Promotional costs - No less than a million dollars
      Paying the cast and crew - A few more million dollars

I'd say promotional costs took up a big chunk of the budget and the special effects for the first episode is another chunk as well as paying the actors and crew. Essentially the two hour pilot with all it's details, and the time it took (probably a few weeks) and was pretty much a movie with all the costs involved in the average movie with effects.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Oops sorry screwed up it's actually 12 million dollars to shoot. But still that's a lot of money, even for a pilot.
        sigpic

Comment

It expensive cos it's shot on location, somewhere on the Austrailian mainland.
          sigpic
          Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
          To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
          And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by BruTak
            It expensive cos it's shot on location, somewhere on the Austrailian mainland.
            100% Hawaii

Comment

Since when was Hawaii in Australia? LOL
              gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
              so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
              love Torri

Comment

Location shooting is expensive.

Not sure if I'm correct but I heard somewhere that Star Trek: Voyager's pilot had the pricetag of 25 mill or so.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Banrigh
                  Not sure if I'm correct but I heard somewhere that Star Trek: Voyager's pilot had the pricetag of 25 mill or so.
                  25 million. Holy Crap!
                  sigpic

Comment

What a waste.....Eh, I mean....money well spent on a well thought out series which ended in a plausible manner.

The center of Khlysty surrounds me

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                      100% Hawaii
                      Mea culpa, that'll teach me to get confused between RL and TV *slaps self on forehead* D'oh!

It's still all shot on location though - same island Jurassic Park was shot on.
                      *electric lightblub lights up above head* Hey! Maybe The Monster that lives in the jungle is a T-Rex that got left behind?
                      sigpic
                      Long before you and I were born, others beat these benches with their empty cups,
                      To the night and its stars, to the here and now with who we are.

Another sunrise with my sad captains, with who I choose to lose my mind,
                      And if it's all we only pass this way but once, what a perfect waste of time.

Comment

Somewhat going off subject...but i'm really curious to see what the fat dude looks like now. They put him on an extreme weight loss routine..because he's suppose to look thinner as he stays on the island.
                        It feels good to be alive.
                        Cause i've been dead for so long.

Comment

Working...
                        X