Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro-Vala and Pro-Carter thread: for compliments and thanksgivings ONLY!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro-Vala and Pro-Carter thread: for compliments and thanksgivings ONLY!

Well, seems we've got an anti thread for both characters, but no pro thread, so here it is. And no starting the "which is better" wars either; this is pro for both characters, not at the expense of the other.

Anyway, I happen to think they're both great characters for the show. It certainly could use more female characters anyway, and both having such different and unique (rather than forcing 'em all to be some similar archaetype as those that prefer one character at the expense of the other possibly wish, which wouldn't be true to life anyway) is even better. With Carter, you've got your genius, and with Vala, you've got your scoundrel (in process of maturing, of course, during her time spent w/ the team), so they both contribute excellent dynamics for the show. And I for one love both characters, so let's hear it from others who feel likewise.

-Bloodaxe

Originally posted by Erik Bloodaxe
    Well, seems we've got an anti thread for both characters, but no pro thread, so here it is. And no starting the "which is better" wars either; this is pro for both characters, not at the expense of the other.

Anyway, I happen to think they're both great characters for the show. It certainly could use more female characters anyway, and both having such different and unique (rather than forcing 'em all to be some similar archaetype as those that prefer one character at the expense of the other possibly wish, which wouldn't be true to life anyway) is even better. With Carter, you've got your genius, and with Vala, you've got your scoundrel (in process of maturing, of course, during her time spent w/ the team), so they both contribute excellent dynamics for the show. And I for one love both characters, so let's hear it from others who feel likewise.

-Bloodaxe
    Nice idea and I absolutely agree with you! I think it's really sad that arguments over Vala have been framed as though it's some kind of competition between her and Sam. In fact, the differences between the two would make for some great character dynamics. Look at the contrasts:

Character background: Sam is someone who has always been in control of her life. She's chosen her path and pursued it diligently. Vala's the opposite - all her choices were ripped away when she was taken as a host. Since then, she's just been trying to survive anyway she can.

Character attitude: Sam's calm and centred. She knows where she fits into her world. Her body language reflects that - she's got a restrained, precise military style in everything she does. She's a strong, focussed character, both mentally and physically. Vala's all volatile energy and movement. She's constantly fidgeting, or lounging, or looking around, like an intelligent but impatient child. They bring a different energy to the screen, which always makes for interesting interactions.

Humor: Vala's all irreverance and humor on the surface but uses it as a defence mechanism to hide a deeper darker side. Sam's serious on the surface, but has a mischievous and snarky sense of humor that we see in occasional flashes. I think their sense of humor would be a strong connection between them - as in Beachhead when we get that little look between them during the 'Cam-Shaft' scene.

The way they think: Sam's a highly intelligent person with a trained mind. She's acquired all her knowledge systematically through study and she knows how to use it. She uses reason and logic to solve problems. Vala's a highly intelligent person with an untrained mind which has been damaged by her experiences. She's got a huge database of knowledge acquired from Goa'uld memories and the crazy life-style she has been leading, but she doesn't seem to access her knowledge in a systematic way. She solves problems by intuition and instinct. As we see in Beachhead, sometimes logic and reason is too slow, and at times like that, Vala's approach is very useful. In other circumstances, Sam's approach is much more appropriate.

Character contrast and conflict makes good drama. Sam and Vala would get frustrated and annoyed with each other, but there would probably be a kind of respect there as well, and the possibility of an odd-couple type of friendship. And the fact that both CB and AT are excellent, thoughtful actors means they would work very well together. I'm really hoping that the writers see the possibilities and explore them at some stage.

Comment

I love 'em both.
      Sam I adore bc she is a great person and super smart.
      Vala because she is a little sex kitten that provides comedic relief. Her one liners aere just great!

I like them both and the stark contrast the characters represent.
      Daniel: You..stupid son of a *****
      Jack: Hey, you're welcome...

Comment

I was at first put off by Vala's character, not that I disliked the show. I felt she was slightly shallow. My mind has changed as the season has progressed and I have to say I am already missing her. She was the glue that bound the new team together. In her and DJ's case litterally bonded. By the way, I loved the shallow gene pool comment about DJ and CM.
        Being a series-long fan of SG-1, I have never wavered in my respect and admiration for AT's character.
        Having said this, I believe Vala and Sam have alot to learn from one another. Although, I am not so sure Vala would be the right person to help Sam with her apparent problem with male relationships.

Comment

After last nights S9 marathon, all I can say is Vala is worth the time it took to formulate the character. Jackson needed something to lighten his role ont he show. It was getting to be almost as dull as when Jackson left before.

As for Claudia Black, she was a good selection for this role. I'm not getting into her vs. Amanda, only that the change was good.

Well done Brad & Robert
          The very young, do not always do what they are told.

"To me, my board" - Silver Surfer

Comment

Originally posted by Piratejenna
            Nice idea and I absolutely agree with you! I think it's really sad that arguments over Vala have been framed as though it's some kind of competition between her and Sam. In fact, the differences between the two would make for some great character dynamics. Look at the contrasts:

Character background: Sam is someone who has always been in control of her life. She's chosen her path and pursued it diligently. Vala's the opposite - all her choices were ripped away when she was taken as a host. Since then, she's just been trying to survive anyway she can.

Character attitude: Sam's calm and centred. She knows where she fits into her world. Her body language reflects that - she's got a restrained, precise military style in everything she does. She's a strong, focussed character, both mentally and physically. Vala's all volatile energy and movement. She's constantly fidgeting, or lounging, or looking around, like an intelligent but impatient child. They bring a different energy to the screen, which always makes for interesting interactions.

Humor: Vala's all irreverance and humor on the surface but uses it as a defence mechanism to hide a deeper darker side. Sam's serious on the surface, but has a mischievous and snarky sense of humor that we see in occasional flashes. I think their sense of humor would be a strong connection between them - as in Beachhead when we get that little look between them during the 'Cam-Shaft' scene.

The way they think: Sam's a highly intelligent person with a trained mind. She's acquired all her knowledge systematically through study and she knows how to use it. She uses reason and logic to solve problems. Vala's a highly intelligent person with an untrained mind which has been damaged by her experiences. She's got a huge database of knowledge acquired from Goa'uld memories and the crazy life-style she has been leading, but she doesn't seem to access her knowledge in a systematic way. She solves problems by intuition and instinct. As we see in Beachhead, sometimes logic and reason is too slow, and at times like that, Vala's approach is very useful. In other circumstances, Sam's approach is much more appropriate.

Character contrast and conflict makes good drama. Sam and Vala would get frustrated and annoyed with each other, but there would probably be a kind of respect there as well, and the possibility of an odd-couple type of friendship. And the fact that both CB and AT are excellent, thoughtful actors means they would work very well together. I'm really hoping that the writers see the possibilities and explore them at some stage.

Excellent post so I am going to quote the whole thing. I agree with the above.

For the Farscape fans out there I think it is like an Aryn Chiana thing. Just that Vala is not as developed as Chiana. But then Chiana wasn’t really that developed until she had been on the show for a while and had setup relationships with all the characters on the show.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

Originally posted by wikeja
              ... She was the glue that bound the new team together.
              Oh, I don't think Vala was, in any way, the glue that bound the new team together. That's not a knock against her, it simply wasn't her role. Vala was all about Vala and the team seemed like they were her entourage at times. I liked Vala, and I like Sam [in keeping with the thread], but the first 6 episodes were basically The Vala and Daniel Show, and sometimes just The Vala Show. She's a great character and I can understand why this was, but for someone that did want to see the team gel and wanted a team atmosphere, The Vala Show became tiresome.

That said, if they could bring her back and make her a part of the team without overshadowing the team [not an easy task, since her character is so broad], then that could definitely be fun. I would love to see Vala and Sam interact and solve problems together and maybe even get in a few girlish giggles.

Comment

I still don't get how some people don't like Sam. She's beautiful and super-intelligent. What more can you ask for? I personally am glad she's back on the show. I hope she's a part of sg-1 for many seasons to come.

As for Vala, I liked her even back in "Prometheus Unbound" last season. So when I found out she was going to be in the first six episodes this season, I was very excited. And CB did not let me down. Her portrayal of the character was awesome, and I can't wait to see her return.

Well, that's it for now. At least, until I can come up with some more praise to shower upon these two. Which shouldn't be too hard to do.
                sigpic
                MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                "...phu...ah..."
                "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm glad Vala came back, because I hated her in PU. Her later appearances made me grow to love the character.

And Sam is always great to have around, especially when she's not pining after Jack.
                  Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                  Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                  Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan
                  Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Vala and Sam are awesome!

Yay.....
                    yeah....
                    Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
                    Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
                    Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
                    Vicious

Comment

I've been putting Vala quotes in my profile on AIM! Everyone is like who is Vala!! They love the quotes.

I love Carter. She's just the one of greatest character ever. I don't know why so many people have been complaining about her, because I think she's still as great as ever! I want to meet Amanda Tapping someday!

Claudia Black and Amanda Tapping should attend a convention together. They'd be funny on stage!

Comment

I'm really liking this! Kudos to the thread-creator!

Comment

They couldnt have brought Vala onto sg-1 at a better time . She bought something to the show that really made me feel that the show was just begining and not that it was into its ninth season . I personally hope they make her a regular in season 10 (fingers crossed)

As for Carter what can i say? shes been a great character on the show for nine seasons i can't imagine the show without her

Comment

Originally posted by Piratejenna
                            I agree with your whole post, but this part led me to hear the theme to The Odd Couple in my head. I see Sam picking up Vala's disgarded cigar with her umbrella. Old timers will understand this post.

Love both characters. I'd love to see them interact...without driving each other crazy.

Comment

I would love to see more of Sam and Vala. You all have already pointed out the contrasts. They're very different physically, in the way they sound and in the characters, which is cool.

What I noticed from Beachead was that Vala seemed a little intimidated by Sam, which is a first for Vala. I also noticed that she seemed to have respect for her. In the scene where they're in command, before they go thru the gate, Sam is hesitantly explaining something and Vala says "but you don't think it will work" or something like that. It's a completely open and honest question, no mocking at all. And then when Vala ends up plugging up the Ori gate, she indicates that it was "Colonel Carter's idea."

It was like the boys were just boys to her but she thinks of Sam as capable and competent. I loved that.

Sg1 needs more women and I have no problem with Vala and Sam going on a few missions.

ETA: Mongo'sgirl--yes, totally The Odd Couple. Can two grown women share a Stargate without driving each other crazy?!?

Comment

Working...
                              X