This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gate measurements How big is it ??

Does anyone accurately know the actual size of the Stargate? References to it have been "approximately 22 feet" but what is its real size? Is it 20" wide?? Can anyone shed light on these questions? Also, the stargate I am referring to is the generic gates found on most planets, not smaller ones built recently by really smart peoples!! If anyone knows the answers, please let us know. Thanks

i think the exact dimesion of the gate is 21 feet and 5 inches, why the 5 inches i dont know maybe just to add a little realism in the fact that the gates are supposed to be built but perhaps made not to look to perfect, still a gate of stone that allows one to travel to another world via a subspace wormhole to another gate is a prefect design.

Diameter: 21F 5"
    Weight: 64 thousand pounds/ 21 ton approx
    Coposition: Naquadah, apparently all naquadah that has its benifits and of course its drawbacks in that it can accept a huge amount of energy but cannot release it as effeciently, still i allows a gate to dial a planet by means of a manual dial as seen in "nemesis" season 3.

feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
    Last edited by Darkstar; 06 September 2005, 06:15 AM.
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Thanks Darkstar, Can I ask you where you found this dimension out? It's just I have heard so many values, I was hoping to track them down to an official source. I have a (small) project which will require an accurate measurement. Thanks for the assistance.

DeathWalker.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
        i think the exact dimesion of the gate is 21 feet and 5 inches, why the 5 inches i dont know maybe just to add a little realism in the fact that the gates are supposed to be built but perhaps made not to look to perfect, still a gate of stone that allows one to travel to another world via a subspace wormhole to another gate is a prefect design.

Diameter: 21F 5"
        Weight: 64 thousand pounds/ 21 ton approx
        Coposition: Naquadah, apparently all naquadah that has its benifits and of course its drawbacks in that it can accept a huge amount of energy but cannot release it as effeciently, still i allows a gate to dial a planet by means of a manual dial as seen in "nemesis" season 3.

feel free to correct me if i am wrong.
        Wouldn't 64,000 lbs be 32 tons?

-IMF
        "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
        "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

According to http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...stargate.shtml

The Stargate, constructed millenia ago by the Ancients, is made of the alien mineral naquadah and weighs about 64,000 pounds.
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

according to my specs. it is:

diameter: 15m - outer ring
            14.2m - inner ring
            width: 0.3m
            weight: 29000 kg (64000 lbs)(28 tonnes)
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

ok whoever wrote this magazine is a moron, cos those stats wud mean the gate is 50ft accross and even i know that is wrong to disregard that post! even if it was ment to be foot it wud still be wrong, btw the magaizine is called the 'offical DVD magazine collection' they clearly need to be directed to this site of a good stargate fact book before publishing!
              sigpic
              You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
              11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep
                according to my specs. it is:

diameter: 15m - outer ring
                14.2m - inner ring
                Did you mean circumference?
                Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

no it says diameter, there the same arnt they???
                  sigpic
                  11000! green me

Comment

No, they are totally different things.

Diameter is the distance, edge to edge, of a line passing through the center of the circle.

Circumfrence is the length around the outside of the circle.
                    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

Comment

lol - ppl are trying to use the 'Official DVD collection Magasine' as SG doctrine - a little advice - don't (so tempted to leave the post there just for effect, but will continue regardless)

The magasine is crap... the episodes are good - I buy it for the DVD's - only... Everything else is rubbish. Here's a good example - have you ever seen a right handed hand device? No - i think that even Ra's hand device was lefty, and even not it was a different make. But in the magasine it has the graphically modeled picture of a hand device as right-handed. Who the f**k could make such a rookie mistake?

I could rant on and on about this, but i'll suffice to say that the omnipaedia is probably much better, and you'd be wiser to look at that - or find references in the eps... andthing's better that the DVD mags...
                      "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

Hi everyone. Just a few sources I have found to help with this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(device)
                        Stargates are typically 22 feet (6.7 m) in diameter

http://rdanderson.com/stargate/productn/productn.htm
                        Two Stargates were built for the show, each more than 20 feet in diameter.
                        A specially-designed 22-foot circular gear was constructed that turns the Gate

On Stargate DVD season6 Disc5, a 30 foot ring gear is mentioned by a crew member.

What I have done, roughly, using a picture of O'neill (6'2")next to the outside gate, is to calculate the height of the gate as about 22 feet external, 15'5" internal, and 1'9" wide. I was hoping to clarify these values, or obtain more accurate ones. The wide range of sizes is why I have been attempting to find 'official sizes'. It seems strange the size of the gate has been overlooked for so long. But thanks for the suggestions. Love to hear more input.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by DeathWalker
                          Hi everyone. Just a few sources I have found to help with this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(device)
                          Stargates are typically 22 feet (6.7 m) in diameter

http://rdanderson.com/stargate/productn/productn.htm
                          Two Stargates were built for the show, each more than 20 feet in diameter.
                          A specially-designed 22-foot circular gear was constructed that turns the Gate

On Stargate DVD season6 Disc5, a 30 foot ring gear is mentioned by a crew member.

What I have done, roughly, using a picture of O'neill (6'2")next to the outside gate, is to calculate the height of the gate as about 22 feet external, 15'5" internal, and 1'9" wide. I was hoping to clarify these values, or obtain more accurate ones. The wide range of sizes is why I have been attempting to find 'official sizes'. It seems strange the size of the gate has been overlooked for so long. But thanks for the suggestions. Love to hear more input.

Cheers.

That's assuming the 6'2" for O'Neill is accurate as well.

-IFM
                          "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                          "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                          BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                            That's assuming the 6'2" for O'Neill is accurate as well.

-IFM

Yes !! My point exactly And then you need the thickness of his hat/hair and boot soles and then he would have to be exactly in line with the gate's axis or it would all compound the errors. And the camera angle affects it too. That's why I am seeking a reliable source.

But then would it really matter ? If no-one knows the real dimensions of a stargate, then they couldn't really pick you up for it, could they ?

Thanks, IFM.

Comment

So it's about 710 cubic feet and has a mass of about 90 pound to the cubic foot.

Comment

Working...
                              X