This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what happened to the m.a.l.p.s.?

as we saw in the Rising, malps obviously will run into some difficulty if the gate is in orbit, so what do they use now?

I would thing they would have little, cheap, disposable probes that they would use to check to see if the gate is in orbit, and if it is not, then send in the malps.

why dont they use them any more? do the PJ make them obsolete?
    why does McKay pronounce it Day-ta and not Data?
    Or why loootenant and not lieutenant?

I have ask that myself a lot.

The Sg program has spend a lot of money in malps, and i guess the ones in atlantis are limited since they can't produce anymore, just bring more from earth

Comment

I'd say PJ's make them obsolete since they would withstand any situation or pollutants in the air. The only thing that could make the PJ a danger would be opening up a gate to a planet with a black hole, but that is highly unlikely because the black hole would most likely destroy the Gate long before any connection could be established (by unlikely I mean literally 1 in a quadrillion or so).

Comment

well we know we lost one of the malps when it was in orbit around a planet. I'm estimating that we only have about 10 or so malps.
        Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Well, we know from "Runner" that they still use M.A.L.P.s, but TPTB just don't show them routinely like they do/did on SG-1. As for orbital gates, I would imagine that they have something cheap they toss through to determine whether of not the gate is in orbit...if it is they send some kind of satellite, if it isn't, a traditional M.A.L.P. does the trick.
          Secretary-General of GATO ¤ Defender of F.O.R.D.

Comment

Originally posted by Whatazarian
            I'd say PJ's make them obsolete since they would withstand any situation or pollutants in the air. The only thing that could make the PJ a danger would be opening up a gate to a planet with a black hole, but that is highly unlikely because the black hole would most likely destroy the Gate long before any connection could be established (by unlikely I mean literally 1 in a quadrillion or so).
            what if the other side has any obstacle that prevent the pj to materialized? then they will lose a pj which i think hurts more than loosing a malp.

that's one choice, but there can be wraith on the other side or any other enemy that can damage or destroy a pj

Comment

The only thing I can think of is that sga risks a malp each time but it's not always shown. There can't be anything else sent through unless it's shown or mentioned or it's not canon.
              sigpic

Comment

The last of the MALPS was destroyed when Mckay entered it in ‘Battle of the Robots’ TV game show.
                _ _ _

We tend to scoff at the beliefs of the ancients. But we can't scoff at them personally, to their faces, and this is what annoys me. (J Handy)

Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

they could stick a video camera through the event horizonand get a visual of the planet, if there is an obstacle it would only destroy the camera and if the gate is on land they can send a malp or puddle jumper

-george-

Comment

I always thought that the majority of the planets in season one where the ones Teyla was already familiar with so there was no need for malps. But the ones that were not previously "discovered" malps were sent through off screen.

Love the Lorne | The F.O.R.D shall rule the earth.... | Fly boys do it in the air
                    Quirk - The Paul McGillion fanlisting | Grace - The Rachel Luttrell fanlisting

Comment

Originally posted by coolove
                      I always thought that the majority of the planets in season one where the ones Teyla was already familiar with so there was no need for malps. But the ones that were not previously "discovered" malps were sent through off screen.
                      Just toss a probe really hard toward the gate. If it hits the floor then the gate is on the ground. If it keeps going then it's in space.
                      "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorgerheaus
                        they could stick a video camera through the event horizonand get a visual of the planet, if there is an obstacle it would only destroy the camera and if the gate is on land they can send a malp or puddle jumper

-george-

MMM, A CAMARA WONT TELL THEM, THE WEATHER AND ATMOSPHERE CONDITIOSN OF THE PLANET, SO I THINK IT WILL BE REALLY RISKY

Comment

What about a UAV?

Comment

Originally posted by pillwokie

MMM, A CAMARA WONT TELL THEM, THE WEATHER AND ATMOSPHERE CONDITIOSN OF THE PLANET, SO I THINK IT WILL BE REALLY RISKY
                            i did mention the after the camera confirms that the gate is on land then you could send a probe

Comment

Originally posted by I love Daniel!
                              What about a UAV?
                              i don't see UAV's working since thers no are in space thers noting for it to propell it if they put a dif power souce on it sure
                              Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X