X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fall shows bank on sci-fi, mystery

http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=47407
    SCI-FI SURGE
    Seizing on the supernatural elements of ‘‘Lost,’’ she says, ‘‘I think the creative folks in Hollywood just took that off into the nth degree and said, ‘Let’s do something really sci-fi and see how that goes.’ ’’

Examples? ABC’s ‘‘Invasion’’ suggests that aliens are among us and stealthily claiming Earth. In WB’s ‘‘Supernatural,’’ two brothers fight varied evil forces while searching for their missing dad. Sea creatures are a puzzle and possible threat in NBC’s ‘‘Surface,’’ while CBS’ ‘‘Threshold’’ finds an alien spacecraft and global menace in the Atlantic. ABC’s ‘‘Night Stalker,’’ a remake of the 1970s cult favorite, hunts things that go bump in the night.

A previous sci-fi flood was created by the success of ‘‘The X-Files’’ in the 1990s, noted analyst Bill Carroll of Katz Television. The shows were mostly quick flops.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Can´t say that I´ve got high hopes for any of these shows but it would be great it at least one of them turned out to be worth watching, there´s never enough quality sci-fi shows around.

Comment

By looking at the names 'Threshold' is the only one that sounds good but then you remember whos behind it
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

The one thing that worries me about these series is that they're still banking on the same premise, which is that Aliens are evil, out to get us, and want Earth for themselves. It's been done so many times that I'd much rather see border line aliens that are just as ambitious and complex as us with equal amounts of good and evil. I'm a bit of cynic so I really can't see why anyone would travel billions of miles just to take over a planet full of us. I'd hope aliens had better taste and that they could find other planets out there.

I'm hoping they can add some new ideas to the genre or at the least put a fresh new twist. Because if they all fail, they could really drag the scifi genre down with them.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

NBC should just air BSG from beginning to end instead of whatever there're planning. It would be different than the others, it's already proven to be good, and it would give a lot more people a veiwing of it than just from the SciFi Channel. I know they aired the last 3 season one eps and they tanked, but I think it was because noone knew the story or was familar with it so all the significant stuff was lost on them.
          Signature oversized: Click to view.

Comment

Originally posted by sharky277
            NBC should just air BSG from beginning to end instead of whatever there're planning. It would be different than the others, it's already proven to be good, and it would give a lot more people a veiwing of it than just from the SciFi Channel. I know they aired the last 3 season one eps and they tanked, but I think it was because noone knew the story or was familar with it so all the significant stuff was lost on them.
            Im pretty sure it would tank no matter how many of the eps they aired. It is not a fun (as in, having fun) show to watch and I think it would be too "out there" for the people that like the not fun over-sexed artsy dramas. Pretty much I think its niche is the hard core sci-fi people that like the "realistic" (aka depressing) version of the future. But that is MHO .... keep in mind I dont necessarily think Stargate would do too good on network TV either, but I cant for the life of me figure out why.
            Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

BSG would totally flop on network TV. It really isn't that good to begin with. I think a show like Atlantis would have some possiblity.

Comment

I'm not going to watch any of the new sci-fi shows this fall. The only sci-fi shows I'm going to watch this fall is Smallville, Alias, and Charmed.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X