This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How does a stargate stay in orbit?

How does a stargate stay in orbit? Wouldn't it either eventually fall to the planet or float off into space after 10000 years or so?
    Religion and science are the same both explain Gods work.

http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/t...owernode.shtml

Power Nodes.
    JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
    VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
    MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
    LANDRY
    : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
    Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
    Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
    Mmm... Green...

Comment

thanx
      Religion and science are the same both explain Gods work.

Comment

good idea but why didt the wraith just bring the gate to the planet to use there, they cant obviousl use it for the bigger ships so why not?
        For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

what are you on about darkstar?
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
            good idea but why didt the wraith just bring the gate to the planet to use there, they cant obviousl use it for the bigger ships so why not?
            Reffering to the wraith planet in Rising right?

Well the Wraith make sure no-one elsein Pegasus are capable of space flight. So by putting the gate in orbit they won't be bothered by pesky humans
            sigpic

Comment

One advantage of having the Gate in orbit is that the humans won't be able to flee through it to another world when it comes time for a culling. They're stuck on the surface of that one planet unless they somehow develop space flight, a ship big enough to fit the Gate inside so they can bring back it to the surface, and their own DHD. Not to mention they'd need a viable Gate address.

Another advantage is that the Wraith don't have to worry about crashing into trees when they come zooming out the Gate in their Darts.
              MCKAY: We need the Zed PM to power the Gate.

O'NEILL: What?

JACKSON: ZPM. He's Canadian.

O'NEILL: I'm sorry.

Comment

clumsey drivers! get off the wormhole!
                sigpic
                You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                Stargate : Genesis |
                Original Starship DesignThread
                Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Lexx
                  a ship big enough to fit the Gate inside so they can bring back it to the surface,
                  They could tow it
                  gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
                  so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
                  love Torri

Comment

Umm, magic? Isn't that the answer to everything?

"But that man who has known the immense unhappiness of losing a friend, by what name do we call him? Here every language is silent and holds its peace in impotence." ~In memory of Whistler84...loved and missed but never, never forgotten. Safe journey, my dear friend. Love you.

HIC COMITAS REGIT How long until Shore Leave 29???

Comment

dont you mean magnets
                      love Torri

Comment

I have a theory on why the gate stays in orbit for so long,
                        TPTB wanted something to look cool when the pj or wraith were flying through the gate so they put a gate in orbit of a planet and wont let it fall down well.... because it looks cool where it is and when the pj comes out of it in space
                        The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Another advantage is that the Wraith don't have to worry about crashing into trees when they come zooming out the Gate in their Darts.
                          Now there's a low-tech defense for Pegasus farmers to use against the wraith. I.E., If the gate is on the planet.
                          Things I've learned about the Stargate Universe:
                          1. Don't kiss a goa'uld.
                          2. Don't shake hands with a Wraith.
                          3. Whacko! are the Ori. It's their way or the hot way.

Comment

Darts like in the rising and runner were shown coming out of the gate on the surface of a planet and never crush into trees, nor does a PJ as the pilots are trained. The gate stays in oribit because of gravity, I suppose the gate is far enough not to crush into the planet but not far enough to float into space. Maybe it's similar to the moon, it stays in oribit as somewhere between it and earth the gravity of the two objects gets cancelled out. The power nodes makes sure the position stays exact.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                              Maybe it's similar to the moon
                              Maybe it decides the tides aswell j/k
                              love Torri

Comment

Working...
                              X