PDA

View Full Version : Classic Doctor Who (Contains SPOILERS)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Deputy-Assistant-Second-Prime
September 3rd, 2005, 04:53 PM
I'm starting this thread for anyone who wants to discuss the classic Doctor Who series (1963 to 1989) and the movie (1996), without reading spoilers for the new series that started in 2005.

Doctor Who was my all-time favorite show. I grew up watching it, so if anyone wants to share their thoughts on the classic series, I eagerly await your comments

It can also be a very confusing series to jump into. If anyone has any questions about it, fire away.

If you want to discuss the flaws of the show; well, that's part of the fun of watching it, too. But, please let's avoid outright bashing on this thread, so we all can enjoy ourselves here.

[EDIT: I just started posting Trivia Questions about the classic series starting with Post# 221.
--D.A.S.P., October 12, 2005]

DISCLAIMER
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

01: The purpose of this thread is to enthusiastically discuss the Classic Doctor Who series which was produced from 1963 to 1989 and the 1996 T.V. movie. This should be self-evident.

02: Where criticism of the classic series is welcome, please keep in mind the purpose of this thread is for people who enjoy the classic series and want to discuss it. This thread is not for people who wish to express their disinterest in the classic series, nor is it for people who do not want to discuss it. You would think that would be self-evident as well.

03: Please be aware that this thread is heavily policed by another forum member, so we are all expected to adhere to the letter of the forum rules. Technically, it is possible that this disclaimer is also against the rules, in which case, please disregard it.

04: This thread may contain spoilers, so by reading this thread, you risk being spoiled. I recommend reading with your eyes closed.

05: Please read the starting post of this thread in order to understand the topic. In the event you have overlooked this disclaimer, please refer to the next disclaimer item.

06: Go back and read the previous disclaimer item.

07: In the event you have overlooked this disclaimer item, please send me a private message indicating this.

If you think these disclaimers are absurd, consider that I would not have written them if it had not become necessary. By reading this disclaimer, you absolve me from all fault and agree to accept all blame.

Well, not quite yet. It only goes into effect after you read this sentence. Too late. You read it.

Oh, the irony. You never read license agreements, warranties, and disclaimers of any kind, but you were curious. Your curiosity doomed you. And it is all because you read the disclaimer statement. You know…the previous paragraph.

I made you look at it again!

Okay, how can I possibly track what you read? Telepathy.

What? You don’t believe me. Send me a private message and I will prove it beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I can not believe you just fell for that.

---D.A.S.P. November 15, 2005.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

September 3rd, 2005, 05:18 PM
The Horror of Fang Rock and The Mind Robber are being released on DVD in the U.S. this coming week.

What Doctor Who episodes would you like to see released next on DVD? Personally, I'd like to see The Time Meddler, The Dominators, and Inferno.

NowIWillDestroyAbydos
September 3rd, 2005, 05:46 PM
Personally, I into the New Doctor Who, If it want to watch the Classic, I would just watch clips from the BBC site.

September 3rd, 2005, 06:16 PM
Unfortunately, they aren't showing them in the U.S. yet. I waited 16 years for the show to come back, and now I gotta wait some more, while the rest of the world gets to see it.

Well, at least I have tapes of the classic series.

IMForeman
September 3rd, 2005, 07:05 PM
Unfortunately, they aren't showing them in the U.S. yet. I waited 16 years for the show to come back, and now I gotta wait some more, while the rest of the world gets to see it.

Well, at least I have tapes of the classic series.

I loved the original series. Every last bit of it (well, except a couple of stinkers... no show is perfect), and every Doctor. I came late to it, only 2 years before the Doctor took off for parts unknown, but I caught the rest in reairings. Wish I could see more of Troughton's work, but alas, that's just not to be.

I'm in the States, just like you, but I have seen the new series. If you are tired of waiting for the new series, you can purchase the Region 2 DVD's. Region free players aren't as uncommon as you'd think, and some are actually pretty reasonably priced. www.doctorwhostore.com sells at least the first 2 discs in the States. Or you can order from www.amazon.co.uk They do cost a bit, but it's worth it.

-IMF

September 3rd, 2005, 07:42 PM
I loved the original series. Every last bit of it (well, except a couple of stinkers... no show is perfect), and every Doctor. I came late to it, only 2 years before the Doctor took off for parts unknown, but I caught the rest in reairings. Wish I could see more of Troughton's work, but alas, that's just not to be.
Yeah, and I loved Troughton's Doctor, too.

I'm in the States, just like you, but I have seen the new series. If you are tired of waiting for the new series, you can purchase the Region 2 DVD's. Region free players aren't as uncommon as you'd think, and some are actually pretty reasonably priced. www.doctorwhostore.com (http://www.doctorwhostore.com/) sells at least the first 2 discs in the States. Or you can order from www.amazon.co.uk (http://www.amazon.co.uk/) They do cost a bit, but it's worth it.

-IMF
They were supposed to release them in the U.S. if the series wasn't picked up by November. I'll have to look for a region free player. But don't I need a television with PAL input?

Well, I'll wait for a little while longer, then I'll probably wind up caving in. Thanks.

IMForeman
September 3rd, 2005, 08:46 PM
But don't I need a television with PAL input?

Nope. The content is in MPEG2, like all DVD content. The output to NTSC is handled by the player. I have the first 2 DVD's from the set, and have played it on my player: The Cyberhome 300s (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6100961&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1069297420815). It plays just fine, except that the Play All function on the first disc doesn't work properly, cutting off the teasers. Disc 2 plays perfectly.

-IMF

Easter Lily
September 3rd, 2005, 11:18 PM
I am very fond of the classic series (well, whatever I've seen of it anyway)... and my favourite Doctor would have to Jon Pertwee. Still I liked most of them, as they each brought something to the character. I have yet to see Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in action... but we should see them soon in Oz. Unfortunately, in the case of Troughton, I've barely seen enough of his doctor to make a proper judgement. Most of his episodes have either been destroyed or gone AWOL... :(

We're very fortunate here in Oz that our public station owns the broadcasting rights to Dr Who and has done the intelligent thing by broadcasting both the reruns and the new series at a decent hour of the day. Can't say the same for the networks that broadcasts Stargate and BSG... :rolleyes:

Indum'kra
September 3rd, 2005, 11:28 PM
The origina Doctor who had some wacked-out theme songs (plus a few of them brought into question how the makers were 'recreating') and some cheesy plots, but whats cool about the classic series is th echeese is pretty much melted through the whole thing so you get used to it.

Willow'sCat
September 4th, 2005, 12:40 AM
I like this, very nice Classic. Don't know if has been mentioned yet but Australia has been seeing the Classic series from the first William Hartnell ep to the current Peter Davison eps. I am pretty sure EL that the ABC will screen the Colin and Sylvester series too, well I hope so because I did love SM and Ace. :D

Easter Lily
September 4th, 2005, 03:19 AM
I'm bracing myself for the "dreadful" Perri... :p

September 4th, 2005, 06:38 AM
Nope. The content is in MPEG2, like all DVD content. The output to NTSC is handled by the player. I have the first 2 DVD's from the set, and have played it on my player: The Cyberhome 300s (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=6100961&type=product&productCategoryId=cat03013&id=1069297420815). It plays just fine, except that the Play All function on the first disc doesn't work properly, cutting off the teasers. Disc 2 plays perfectly.

-IMF
Thanks, I've been waiting to ask someone who had practical experience with this. What you've said makes absolute sense and confirms my suspicion that many folks I spoke with in the past had no clue. I kept reading advice from "experts" saying I needed a PAL television and I had trouble believing that. I looked online and those region free players are pretty cheap, so this is within my budget.

Thank again.

September 4th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I am very fond of the classic series (well, whatever I've seen of it anyway)... and my favourite Doctor would have to Jon Pertwee.
I loved watching the Doctor & Jo, but my favorite Pertwee episode was Inferno.

Still I liked most of them, as they each brought something to the character. I have yet to see Colin Baker and Sylvester McCoy in action... but we should see them soon in Oz.
Well, I enjoyed most of their episodes, but I'll confine myself to that. Don't want to spoil.

Unfortunately, in the case of Troughton, I've barely seen enough of his doctor to make a proper judgement. Most of his episodes have either been destroyed or gone AWOL... :(
Have you seen the episodes from the Lost in Time collection or the surviving Ice Warrior and Invasion episodes on VHS?

September 4th, 2005, 07:02 AM
The origina Doctor who had some wacked-out theme songs (plus a few of them brought into question how the makers were 'recreating') and some cheesy plots, but whats cool about the classic series is th echeese is pretty much melted through the whole thing so you get used to it.
It was definitely part of the show's charm. Unfortunately, I don't think many of today's audience would have much patience for the classic series, because of the production values. I love watching the DVDs because they often give you the choice of viewing the story with updated effects.

September 4th, 2005, 07:05 AM
I like this, very nice Classic. Don't know if has been mentioned yet but Australia has been seeing the Classic series from the first William Hartnell ep to the current Peter Davison eps. I am pretty sure EL that the ABC will screen the Colin and Sylvester series too, well I hope so because I did love SM and Ace. :D
"Ace, hand me some of that nitro-9 you're not carrying." :D

September 4th, 2005, 07:13 AM
I'm bracing myself for the "dreadful" Perri... :p
Have you seen Planet of Fire or Cave of Androzani yet? Why do you feel Peri is dreadful?

Doctor Who Season 22
IMO, she was spoiled and whiny, but then again, the Doctor (played by Colin Baker) could be very insensitive and oblivious.

Dallista
September 4th, 2005, 07:21 AM
I only discovered Doctor Who some weeks ago, and that was the 2005 series. Since then I've been trying to track down older episodes, see some serials with the older doctors. So far, my favorite is Peter Davison. His Doctor is very 'human', a bit angsty, and I like his interaction with his companions.

I watched "The Five Doctors" the other day, and really liked the first Doctor... only to figure out afterwards that he wasn't played by the same actor as the one who'd played the First Doctor in the original series (William Hartnell). ;) Patrick Troughton also made quite an impression on me, but as has been pointed out already, unfortunately a lot of his episodes don't exist anymore.

September 4th, 2005, 07:38 AM
I only discovered Doctor Who some weeks ago, and that was the 2005 series. Since then I've been trying to track down older episodes, see some serials with the older doctors.
Years ago, before the fan websites, I watched them on PBS. I had seen much of Jon Pertwee up to Monster of Peladon, went on vacation, and came back to Tom Baker in the Sontaran Experiment. Then months later on another PBS station, William Hartnell played the Doctor in The War Machine, and then they abruptly skipped to Patrick Troughton in The Dominators. It wasn't until War Games aired that I had any idea about regeneration. I was so confused.

So far, my favorite is Peter Davison. His Doctor is very 'human', a bit angsty, and I like his interaction with his companions.
I loved how he would get flustered and upset, and his voice would crack. Also, I loved how Nyssa would have to calm him down and gently point him in the right direction.

I watched "The Five Doctors" the other day, and really liked the first Doctor... only to figure out afterwards that he wasn't played by the same actor as the one who'd played the First Doctor in the original series (William Hartnell). ;) Patrick Troughton also made quite an impression on me, but as has been pointed out already, unfortunately a lot of his episodes don't exist anymore.
Well, I don't know what episodes you have already seen, but if you're looking for suggestions....

creed462
September 4th, 2005, 10:08 AM
The Doctor is one of my Favorite shows. Untill I moved to mississippi I only scene from Tom Baker to Paul Magan(sp) So till then Tom Baker was my faviorite Doctor. I have now seen a little of the frist three and I like them as well.

September 4th, 2005, 10:49 AM
The Doctor is one of my Favorite shows. Untill I moved to mississippi I only scene from Tom Baker to Paul Magan(sp) So till then Tom Baker was my faviorite Doctor. I have now seen a little of the frist three and I like them as well.
No doubt Tom Baker made an indeliable mark on the series. He also had the good fortune to work four years with producer Philip Hinchcliffe and script editor Robert Holmes whose collaberation produced many of the most celebrated episodes, and widened the series appeal to more mature audiences.

Are they currently showing classic Doctor Who in Mississippi?

Easter Lily
September 4th, 2005, 01:16 PM
I loved watching the Doctor & Jo, but my favorite Pertwee episode was Inferno.
I preferred Liz and Sarah Jane ... but I also liked UNIT especially the Brigadier and all manifestations of Venusian martial arts... :D

Have you seen the episodes from the Lost in Time collection or the surviving Ice Warrior and Invasion episodes on VHS?
At the moment the price of that DVD in question is rather forbidding... :p

Easter Lily
September 4th, 2005, 01:24 PM
I only discovered Doctor Who some weeks ago, and that was the 2005 series. Since then I've been trying to track down older episodes, see some serials with the older doctors. So far, my favorite is Peter Davison. His Doctor is very 'human', a bit angsty, and I like his interaction with his companions.

I like Peter Davison too... he's the cute one... ;) However, Pertwee is my favourite because there is something of the benevolent paternal scientist that I like. But they're all good really and bring their own stamp to the character.
When I first started watching, Tom Baker was my first and favourite but these days I definitely prefer Pertwee's grandfatherly sensibilities...

September 4th, 2005, 01:44 PM
I preferred Liz and Sarah Jane ... but I also liked UNIT especially the Brigadier and all manifestations of Venusian martial arts... :D
I always felt bad for Liz. All those degrees and all that professionalism...then the Doctor materializes and reduces her to a sidekick. I always thought they should have made a U.N.I.T. spin-off with Liz as the scientist.

I found Sarah Jane annoying in Season 11 & 12. She was awesome in Season 13 & 14.

At the moment the price of that DVD in question is rather forbidding... :p
That stinks. There are some good moments in those.

September 4th, 2005, 01:50 PM
I like Peter Davison too... he's the cute one... ;) However, Pertwee is my favourite because there is something of the benevolent paternal scientist that I like. But they're all good really and bring their own stamp to the character.
When I first started watching, Tom Baker was my first and favourite but these days I definitely prefer Pertwee's grandfatherly sensibilities...
I like how Pertwee would browbeat the politicians and public servents, because he was friends with high government officials and other influential people. :D

But at the same time, he'd hang out with the common people and talk about organizing and protesting. :D

Willow'sCat
September 5th, 2005, 09:49 PM
"Ace, hand me some of that nitro-9 you're not carrying." :DHehe, god I haven't seen it since it originally screened in Australia but I can still here his voice loved SM so much he was fun. :D And they were not afraid to in-vibe some of the old series eps the (what was it?) the one that lent on William Hartnell's first episode, going back to the junk yard and with Daleks climbing stairs, haha which I loved. :D

September 6th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Hehe, god I haven't seen it since it originally screened in Australia but I can still here his voice loved SM so much he was fun. :D And they were not afraid to in-vibe some of the old series eps the (what was it?) the one that lent on William Hartnell's first episode, going back to the junk yard and with Daleks climbing stairs, haha which I loved. :D
That was Remembrance of the Daleks referencing An Unearthly Child.
"You told me to aim for the eye-piece."
It has been released on DVD.

I also like Delta and the Bannermen and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.

IMForeman
September 6th, 2005, 10:14 AM
Hehe, god I haven't seen it since it originally screened in Australia but I can still here his voice loved SM so much he was fun. :D And they were not afraid to in-vibe some of the old series eps the (what was it?) the one that lent on William Hartnell's first episode, going back to the junk yard and with Daleks climbing stairs, haha which I loved. :D

You mean the scrap yard belonging to I.M. Foreman, Scrap Merchant at 76 Totter's Lane?

I wonder why I'd know that name.

-IMF

Metarock Sam
September 6th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Major classic Doctor Who fan here . I was broght up with it and can say theses things that are part of my opinion on how great the show was..
My Fave Doctor had to be Colin Baker not only because he was the first Doctor I ever saw but because of is colourfullness and sense of forgetfullness.
My favourite episode of Classic Who has got to be The Happiness Patrol ( loved Bertie Basset putting people in molten lava)
And my favourite companion is K-9 because he rules.

September 6th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Major classic Doctor Who fan here . I was broght up with it and can say theses things that are part of my opinion on how great the show was..
My Fave Doctor had to be Colin Baker not only because he was the first Doctor I ever saw but because of is colourfullness and sense of forgetfullness.
My favourite episode of Classic Who has got to be The Happiness Patrol ( loved Bertie Basset putting people in molten lava)
And my favourite companion is K-9 because he rules.
For some reason, not many folks liked Colin's Doctor. In Season 23, Baker was just hitting his stride and then they pulled the carpet out from underneath him. That was a shame. In Doctor Who, there are two unwritten rules:
1.) The actor decides when he's done playing the Doctor.
2.) The actor plays the part for a minimum of three years.

Easter Lily
September 6th, 2005, 05:34 PM
For some reason, not many folks liked Colin's Doctor. In Season 23, Baker was just hitting his stride and then they pulled the carpet out from underneath him. That was a shame. In Doctor Who, there are two unwritten rules:
2.) The actor plays the part for a minimum of three years.

Amen to the second one... definitely...
*grumbles about Ecclestone*

Seshat
September 6th, 2005, 06:04 PM
I've seen ALL the Classic Doctor Who eps, although it's been years and years since they've been shown on my local PBS stations. As a kid I used to stay up late every Saturday night to watch John Pertwee's (and later Tom Baker's) doctor (one of the reasons I became such a night owl early on, I think ;) ), and then eventually caught up with all that came before and after in reruns and marathons. This thread and all the titles mentioned bring back such wonderful memories! :)

September 6th, 2005, 07:23 PM
I've seen ALL the Classic Doctor Who eps, although it's been years and years since they've been shown on my local PBS stations. As a kid I used to stay up late every Saturday night to watch John Pertwee's (and later Tom Baker's) doctor (one of the reasons I became such a night owl early on, I think ;) ), and then eventually caught up with all that came before and after in reruns and marathons. This thread and all the titles mentioned bring back such wonderful memories! :)
Who was your favorite character from the series?

September 6th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Amen to the second one... definitely...
*grumbles about Ecclestone*
I'll never understand that. :(

I guess being a Doctor Who fan, that would be my ultimate fantasy...getting to play the Doctor. :)

"14 hours a day...no work...all play...no problem." ;)

"I get to play in the TARDIS? Oh, boy!!!" :D

"I have to huddle close to Billie Piper in every shot? Well...I don't know...I guess if I have to...." >combs his eyebrows< :rolleyes:

Willow'sCat
September 7th, 2005, 03:42 AM
That was Remembrance of the Daleks referencing An Unearthly Child.
"You told me to aim for the eye-piece."
It has been released on DVD.

I also like Delta and the Bannermen and The Greatest Show in the Galaxy.Thank you , sorry I am not one for the names of episodes and all that I just remember bits and pieces. In fact someone pointed to that episode a while ago on the Calling all Australians thread and I still couldn't remember the name. :rolleyes:

You mean the scrap yard belonging to I.M. Foreman, Scrap Merchant at 76 Totter's Lane?

I wonder why I'd know that name.

-IMFHehe, see hopeless with the details. :rolleyes: :D Ooh but I knew it was Trotter's lane, just not 76. ;)

2.) The actor plays the part for a minimum of three years.You know I never had a problem with Colin or even Perri (well her dress sense was :rolleyes: ) I think he got a raw deal, some of those eps were a little too confusing as well but again, I haven't watch them since they first screen in Australia in the mid 1980's. The T.A.R.D.I.S was able to change with the cameleon thingy working again and the Trial was just ridiculous. Didn't really like that part. :o Haha, he was very colourful and that hair, well nuff said.:D

September 7th, 2005, 09:27 AM
You know I never had a problem with Colin or even Perri (well her dress sense was :rolleyes: ) I think he got a raw deal, some of those eps were a little too confusing as well but again, I haven't watch them since they first screen in Australia in the mid 1980's. The T.A.R.D.I.S was able to change with the cameleon thingy working again and the Trial was just ridiculous. Didn't really like that part. :o Haha, he was very colourful and that hair, well nuff said.:D
Well, the thing I didn't like about the 80's was much of JNT's influence.
1.) Instead of wearing normal clothing, everyone had a costume...and they couldn't change it until the next season.
2.) IMO, he commissioned weak stories and relied too much on gimmicks.
3.) He created barriers between the writing & production staffs so they couldn't collaberate.
4.) IMO, he didn't give Colin much leeway for developing his character.

On the positive side, he made the show serious again and was a great logistical manager, which apparently was the reason the BBC couldn't find a suitable replacement.

I liked JNT, but it just seemed to me like he didn't know when to delegate.

creed462
September 7th, 2005, 10:38 AM
No doubt Tom Baker made an indeliable mark on the series. He also had the good fortune to work four years with producer Philip Hinchcliffe and script editor Robert Holmes whose collaberation produced many of the most celebrated episodes, and widened the series appeal to more mature audiences.

Are they currently showing classic Doctor Who in Mississippi?
Nope not to my knowleage. I've been buying DVD and have a friend who is an avid fan as well he showed me the other doctors and even the frist episode.

September 7th, 2005, 11:35 AM
Nope not to my knowleage. I've been buying DVD and have a friend who is an avid fan as well he showed me the other doctors and even the frist episode.
Well, for a moment, I had a brief flicker of hope PBS was able to pick it back up. :(

In any case, it's cool you were able to access your friend's Doctor Who archive. ;)

My VHS tapes are starting to wear. Need more DVDs!!!

Mr Prophet
September 7th, 2005, 12:01 PM
"Ace, hand me some of that nitro-9 you're not carrying." :D

Good old Dorothy McShane. Sylvester McCoy comes in for a hammering almost as much as Colin Baker does, but he was one of my favourites.

Do any of your other classic series fans know much of the Big Finish audio contuinity, by the way? It's good stuff; even some of the weaker companions get proper, meaty roles. It's incredible how not annoying Mel and Peri are when given a decent script and a writer who remembers that they're both supposed to be intelligent women (a compsci and a botanist).

September 7th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Good old Dorothy McShane. Sylvester McCoy comes in for a hammering almost as much as Colin Baker does, but he was one of my favourites.

Do any of your other classic series fans know much of the Big Finish audio contuinity, by the way? It's good stuff; even some of the weaker companions get proper, meaty roles. It's incredible how not annoying Mel and Peri are when given a decent script and a writer who remembers that they're both supposed to be intelligent women (a compsci and a botanist).
I've known about the series for some time. Unfortunately, I can't divert the necessary cash. I really want to though. Man, I've never felt so "out of the loop".

Seshat
September 7th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Who was your favorite character from the series?
Oh, now that question is just SO hard for me to answer...I loved so many!
I think Sarah Jane Smith was my favorite...but Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart or Liz Shaw come in as close seconds. Horror of Fang Rock with Leela is indelibly etched on my mind, horrible special effects and all, I loved it! (The character of Vala reminds me of Leela in some ways, probably just the show of skin, though :rolleyes: ). And Adric and his golden math badge...I wanted to cry when he met his doom! :p

September 7th, 2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, now that question is just SO hard for me to answer...I loved so many!
I think Sarah Jane Smith was my favorite...but Brigadier Lethbridge-Stewart or Liz Shaw come in as close seconds. Horror of Fang Rock with Leela is indelibly etched on my mind, horrible special effects and all, I loved it! (The character of Vala reminds me of Leela in some ways, probably just the show of skin, though :rolleyes: ). And Adric and his golden math badge...I wanted to cry when he met his doom! :p
You're right. It is hard.

Jamie was my favorite, then Jo, Romana II, and Nyssa.

Horror of Fang Rock was just released on DVD. I'm going to watch it tonight.

Easter Lily
September 7th, 2005, 04:05 PM
I think you people will appreciate this... :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/easterlily/Dr%20Who/DalekBattery.jpg

If you like it, I'll post some more... I've got 11 all up...

Easter Lily
September 7th, 2005, 04:10 PM
Thank you , sorry I am not one for the names of episodes and all that I just remember bits and pieces. In fact someone pointed to that episode a while ago on the Calling all Australians thread and I still couldn't remember the name. :rolleyes:

Castrovalva ?

Willow'sCat
September 7th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Castrovalva ?Haha, no I know that one because it is Peter. :D It was way back before the new Who was screened we were talking about whether the Daleks could climb stairs and I said I saw them in an episode but couldn't remember the name the episode turned out to be "Remembrance of the Daleks" which also referenced the first episode of Dr Who "An Unearthly Child".:D But thanks Easter Lilly. :) And please keep the comics coming.

Did I say my favourite character is Benton? My favourite companion was Jo but as always it changes with the weather. :rolleyes:

Seshat
September 7th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Okay, here's a toughie. I've been trying to remember the episode name where (get this) I cannot remember WHICH doctor and WHICH companions are involved, but they end up some place that looked to me like some sort of endless corridor indoor shopping mall (!) where the citizenry keeps getting carted off and killed for disagreeing with/questioning the system. I seem to remember a gang of female law enforcement types who rode around on what looked like a golf cart and rounded up suspected people....something about not being allowed to be unhappy...maybe I'm confusing this with another episode....okay, so this description is extremely vague :o, but that's all I remember... I never saw the end of it and always wondered how they got away.*lol*

creed462
September 7th, 2005, 05:59 PM
It's sad that we can't even watch the classic seris on tv now days. Why is it that america has a large fan back and no one wants to show it?

Willow'sCat
September 7th, 2005, 06:29 PM
Okay, here's a toughie. I've been trying to remember the episode name where (get this) I cannot remember WHICH doctor and WHICH companions are involved, but they end up some place that looked to me like some sort of endless corridor indoor shopping mall (!) where the citizenry keeps getting carted off and killed for disagreeing with/questioning the system. I seem to remember a gang of female law enforcement types who rode around on what looked like a golf cart and rounded up suspected people....something about not being allowed to be unhappy...maybe I'm confusing this with another episode....okay, so this description is extremely vague :o, but that's all I remember... I never saw the end of it and always wondered how they got away.*lol*Haha, are you sure this is Dr Who it sounds like Monty Python! :D Hmm, don't know it the BBC website has all the ep lists go and check it out heck I'll go check it out for you. Hmm, why does "The Happiness Patrol" keep popping into my head. :rolleyes: :S

Willow'sCat
September 7th, 2005, 06:33 PM
That is why. Is it this.."The Happiness Patrol" ?

From the BBC website.

Sylvester McCoy
The TARDIS arrives on the planet Terra Alpha where the Doctor and Ace discover a society in which sadness is against the law - a law enforced with considerable zeal by the brightly uniformed Happiness Patrol. The planet is ruled over by Helen A with the aid of her companion Joseph C and her carnivorous pet Stigorax named Fifi.

The penalty for those found guilty of unhappiness is death in a stream of molten candy prepared by Helen A's executioner, the robotic Kandyman, and his associate Gilbert M. The time travellers help to foment rebellion amongst the downtrodden population and the subterranean Pipe People - the planet's original inhabitants - and Helen A is overthrown.

Joseph C and Gilbert M escape in a shuttle, while the Kandyman is destroyed and Fifi killed. Helen A finally realises that happiness is nothing without the contrast of sadness.

Episode Endings

The Doctor and a blues musician named Earl Sigma are captured trying to flee the Kandy Kitchen. The Kandy Man tells them that he likes his volunteers to die with smiles on their faces.
The Doctor discovers that Ace will be appearing at the Happiness Patrol audition at the forum that night. A member of the Happiness Patrol arrives and paints a large 'R I P' over a poster of a previous forum attraction, a woman named Daphne S. The forum doorman comments that she obviously didn't go down too well.
Ace picks up a paint pot to finish off the job of restoring the TARDIS to its normal blue, it having earlier been repainted pink by the Happiness Patrol. She asks the Doctor if he is all right. He replies that happiness will prevail.
Roots

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (especially the film version).
Gloria Gaynor ('I am what I am').
The Prisoner.
Jean Surry's 'Teen Angel' (Ace's 'Dead Good Song').
Return of the Jedi.
The Trial.
Fahrenheit 451.

September 7th, 2005, 08:13 PM
I think you people will appreciate this... :)

If you like it, I'll post some more... I've got 11 all up...
Thanks! Yeah, post them! :D

September 7th, 2005, 08:27 PM
It's sad that we can't even watch the classic seris on tv now days. Why is it that america has a large fan back and no one wants to show it?
The reason why the old episodes aren't available has been discussed, but I forget where...probably www.gallifreyone.com (http://www.gallifreyone.com).

The BBC is still trying to sell the new series to an American broadcaster.

They wanted to free up the license for the classic episodes in case a potential broadcaster wants exclusive rights to air all Doctor Who episodes.

If no one picks up the series by November, they're supposed to release the new series region 1 DVDs.

I honestly couldn't see anybody airing the old episodes in America except Sci-Fi (which has already refused to air the new series), BBC America, or PBS.

There was talk of ABC picking up the new series, but that never went anywhere.

September 7th, 2005, 08:31 PM
Okay, here's a toughie. I've been trying to remember the episode name....
Darn it, I knew that answer! Got anymore? :D

Willow'sCat
September 7th, 2005, 11:18 PM
Darn it, I knew that answer! Got anymore? :DHaha, Well at least I remembered one episode name. :D Don't know why that one was just sitting there in my head. :S

Aw that is a shame about US TV not taking the new series I can understand not wanting to screen the older series but the new one? No I can't see the sense unless they maybe want two series worth of shows eg over 20 episodes to screen at once.

America never really screened the show though did it? Even in the past? I guess that is the reason that GW doesn't have a Dr Who page, even though every other SciFi show seems to. :rolleyes: *she says with a cheeky grin* :D

Indum'kra
September 8th, 2005, 01:58 AM
On the BBC doctor who website they have all the classic theme tunes. Some of them are pretty freaky.

Willow'sCat
September 8th, 2005, 05:23 AM
On the BBC doctor who website they have all the classic theme tunes. Some of them are pretty freaky.I still love the 1982 theme with the big bang at the end. But the new one is O.K I mean they are all basically the same just different musical styles of the day. Oh that reminds me I was going through my records (yes vinyl) when I found "Probably the most nauseating record in the world" Doctor' in the Tardis by the Timelords, who became the KLF. :D

Seshat
September 8th, 2005, 06:07 AM
That is why. Is it this.."The Happiness Patrol" ?

Excellent! Yes, indeed, that was the very ep of which I was thinking. Thank you! :D:D

I should go off to www.gallifreyone.com (http://www.gallifreyone.com/) to check out a few more eps for which I have even LESS specific recollections...:S Thanks for the link and the info everyone! :D

Dallista
September 8th, 2005, 06:23 AM
I found "Probably the most nauseating record in the world" Doctor' in the Tardis by the Timelords, who became the KLF. :D
*LOL*! I love that song! In 2002 at the SG-4 convention in London (with MS and AT), I became seriously hooked on the convention discos, and the songs. I never knew the TV versions of the song until this summer when I started watching the 2005 series. As far as I knew, Doctorin' the TARDIS was the 'real' version of the Doctor Who theme. *blush*

I watched The Three Doctors last night. Especially Patrick Troughton made quite an impression on me. Must track down more of his episodes. :)

Willow'sCat
September 8th, 2005, 06:30 AM
*LOL*! I love that song! In 2002 at the SG-4 convention in London (with MS and AT), I became seriously hooked on the convention discos, and the songs. I never knew the TV versions of the song until this summer when I started watching the 2005 series. As far as I knew, Doctorin' the TARDIS was the 'real' version of the Doctor Who theme. *blush* Haha, I love that haha, wow they have alot to answer for then. :D

I watched The Three Doctors last night. Especially Patrick Troughton made quite an impression on me. Must track down more of his episodes. :)I love him (I love 'um all) his son appeared in two stories as well as different characters. Yes track them down. ;)

Excellent! Yes, indeed, that was the very ep of which I was thinking. Thank you! :D:DNo problem, surprised I even remembered the name.:)

creed462
September 8th, 2005, 07:24 AM
*LOL*! I love that song! In 2002 at the SG-4 convention in London (with MS and AT), I became seriously hooked on the convention discos, and the songs. I never knew the TV versions of the song until this summer when I started watching the 2005 series. As far as I knew, Doctorin' the TARDIS was the 'real' version of the Doctor Who theme. *blush*

I watched The Three Doctors last night. Especially Patrick Troughton made quite an impression on me. Must track down more of his episodes. :)
The tomb of the cybermen is on dvd right now and The Mind ripper will be released soon.

Indum'kra
September 8th, 2005, 08:48 AM
I still love the 1982 theme with the big bang at the end. But the new one is O.K I mean they are all basically the same just different musical styles of the day. Oh that reminds me I was going through my records (yes vinyl) when I found "Probably the most nauseating record in the world" Doctor' in the Tardis by the Timelords, who became the KLF. :D
Personally, I like the fourth one best. The visuals of the current one are a homage to it.

September 8th, 2005, 01:19 PM
Personally, I like the fourth one best. The visuals of the current one are a homage to it.
Themes
1: 1963 to 1966.
2: 1966 to 1980.
3: 1981 to 1985. I think those years were the same. At least, they were very close.
4: 1986.
5: 1987 to 1989.

Visual Sequence
1: 1963 to 1966. Smoke (likenesses of William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton not shown in the original sequence).
2: 1966 to 1969. Patrick Troughton clouds.
3: 1970 to 1973. Jon Pertwee clouds.
4: 1973 to 1974. Jon Pertwee tunnel.
5: 1974 to 1980. Tom Baker tunnel.
6: 1980 to 1981. Tom Baker starfield.
7: 1982 to 1984. Peter Davison starfield.
8: 1984 to 1986. Colin Baker starfield.
9: 1987 to 1989. Sylvester McCoy

September 8th, 2005, 01:31 PM
The tomb of the cybermen is on dvd right now and The Mind ripper will be released soon.
Patrick Troughton DVDs currently released in the U.S.
The Tomb of the Cybermen
The Mind Robber (just released)
The Seeds of Death

The Lost in Time Collection which contains the following Patrick Troughton episodes:
The Underwater Menace part 3
The Moonbase part 2 & 4
The Faceless Ones part 1 & 3
The Evil of the Daleks part 2
The Abominable Snowman part 2
The Enemy of the World part 3
The Web of Fear part 1
The Wheel in Space part 3 & 6
The Space Pirates part 2

September 8th, 2005, 01:38 PM
All the episodes I listed for Patrick Troughton on DVD were available on VHS as well.

Additionally, the following were released on VHS:
The Ice Warriors (parts 1, 3, 4, 5, 6)
The Dominators
The Invasion (parts 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8)
The Krotons
The War Games

September 8th, 2005, 01:47 PM
America never really screened the show though did it? Even in the past? I guess that is the reason that GW doesn't have a Dr Who page, even though every other SciFi show seems to. :rolleyes: *she says with a cheeky grin* :D
Back in the 80's and early 90's Doctor Who was shown on Public Broadcast Stations and supported by donations from viewers. The current administration has been trying to take control of PBS, so who knows? PBS might air the old episodes, but probably couldn't afford the new episodes with its budget slashed. Heck, it might not be able to afford the old episodes any more.

Most corporate broadcasters would never dream of airing Doctor Who, except possibly the Sci-Fi Channel.

BBC America, I don't know how it operates, may ultimately air it.

Seshat
September 8th, 2005, 02:32 PM
Back in the 80's and early 90's Doctor Who was shown on Public Broadcast Stations and supported by donations from viewers. The current administration has been trying to take control of PBS, so who knows? PBS might air the old episodes, but probably couldn't afford the new episodes with its budget slashed. Heck, it might not be able to afford the old episodes any more.

That's how I saw all of it. Heck, I still have my PBS pledge drive t-shirt somewhere...:p And my Tardis keychain...:rolleyes:

creed462
September 8th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Its sad that there are so few Troughton eps surviving intacked. From what I've seen he's real good. I hope they will find more of then.

September 8th, 2005, 03:18 PM
Its sad that there are so few Troughton eps surviving intacked. From what I've seen he's real good. I hope they will find more of then.
I think about that all the time.

Every once in a while, they find a missing episode. Mostly recently...The Dalek Masterplan part 2.

I remember when they found the Tomb of the Cybermen. That was a big deal at the time. I'm glad I got to see that.

There are plenty of places that haven't been checked yet overseas. Probably just no one that cares enough and is in a position to search their archives.

September 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
That's how I saw all of it. Heck, I still have my PBS pledge drive t-shirt somewhere...:p And my Tardis keychain...:rolleyes:
On a positive note, at least I get to see the cliffhangers on the DVDs, so it's like seeing them for the first time. Plus, commentaries, interviews, and documentaries.

Speaking of...tonight I'll try to fit in a viewing of The Mind Robber.

Seshat
September 8th, 2005, 03:23 PM
On a positive note, at least I get to see the cliffhangers on the DVDs, so it's like seeing them for the first time. Plus, commentaries, interviews, and documentaries.
I think your way is a lot more fun than having to wait for the once-a-week ep airing as I had to. :)

September 8th, 2005, 03:33 PM
I think your way is a lot more fun than having to wait for the once-a-week ep airing as I had to. :)
I was lucky enough to be situated between several big cities at the time.

Consequently, I had two different runs of Doctor Who in movie format. :D

Plus, on clear nights, I was able to tune into a third PBS station airing Doctor Who in episode format. ;) [EDIT: Not once a week, but every week day.]

But yes, you are right. Viewing the remastered video and audio episodically on a single night is the best way to enjoy them. Sure beats watching them on my fuzzy crackling old B&W television. :D

The only thing that would make it even better would be to enjoy it in the company of other Doctor Who fans.

Willow'sCat
September 8th, 2005, 06:51 PM
The only thing that would make it even better would be to enjoy it in the company of other Doctor Who fans.That is what I loved about the screening here of the new series so many of my friends started watching having denigrated the show over the years (I couldn't even open my mouth) they suddenly started to become Doctor Who fans, it ain't sad and pathetic anymore!:D :p

I am kind of cool now, haha :p because I know most of the references that have been made in the new series and they would look at me and go what is that? Why did he do/say that? or whatever...very funny.:D One of my younger friends didn't even know about the regenerations! :rolleyes:

September 8th, 2005, 07:40 PM
That is what I loved about the screening here of the new series so many of my friends started watching having denigrated the show over the years (I couldn't even open my mouth) they suddenly started to become Doctor Who fans, it ain't sad and pathetic anymore!:D :p
Oooh! You just put a finger on a nerve. I didn't even realize it, but subconsciously I think I was hoping if it aired in the U.S., I would be vindicated. Or at least be able to talk about it and not have people condescendingly smirk, or vacuously blink, at me.

I am kind of cool now, haha :p because I know most of the references that have been made in the new series and they would look at me and go what is that? Why did he do/say that? or whatever...very funny.:D One of my younger friends didn't even know about the regenerations! :rolleyes:
We were always cool. Everyone else was just slow to realize it. That's not our fault.

Willow'sCat
September 8th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Oooh! You just put a finger on a nerve. I didn't even realize it, but subconsciously I think I was hoping if it aired in the U.S., I would be vindicated. Or at least be able to talk about it and not have people condescendingly smirk, or vacuously blink, at me.It still might happen don't give up hope. :)

We were always cool. Everyone else was just slow to realize it. That's not our fault.Dam straight. :cool: Have you voted in the new GW poll in this Section about subfolders on GW? I would like to see a Dr Who subfolder as I don't visit many Dr Who sites because some of the fans get OTT but alas I think Star Trek may win out. :rolleyes:

September 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Have you voted in the new GW poll in this Section about subfolders on GW? I would like to see a Dr Who subfolder as I don't visit may Dr Who sites because some of the fans get OTT but alas I think Star Trek may win out. :rolleyes:
Thanks to you...I just did. :D

Easter Lily
September 9th, 2005, 02:07 AM
Here's a link to another Dr Who comic...
Can't post it here as it seems to balloon the thread...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/easterlily/Dr%20Who/TheDoctors.jpg

Dallista
September 9th, 2005, 03:58 AM
*chuckle* Aw, that's kinda sad, though. My sweet Fifth Doctor has much more to offer than that! ;)

I saw The Two Doctors last night (yeah, so I'm going through the old series totally at random; whatever I can get my hands on really, and I wanted to see the Sixth Doctor.) Eh, he's okay! I thought I'd hate him, but once I managed to look past his nasty attitude towards Peri, he's actually pretty decent. And I really like Jamie!

Can you guys recommend a Patrick Troughton serial (preferably one that completely survived, *grin*) in which Jamie has a large/interesting/nice/maybe possibly angsty role? I could read through the entire Reference Guide at http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm but that'd really spoil the fun.

edited for a really dumb mistake ;)

creed462
September 9th, 2005, 06:35 AM
The sixth doctor is pertty good. My favior ep from him is Vengence on Vergo (Sorry if I got the title worng)

in circles
September 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM
I'm working my way through the dvds that are available at the minute and I have the odd season on my pc. The only doctor I haven't had chance to watch yet is the sixth. His companion Mel looks irritating as hell.

September 9th, 2005, 08:24 AM
I'm working my way through the dvds that are available at the minute and I have the odd season on my pc. The only doctor I haven't had chance to watch yet is the sixth. His companion Mel looks irritating as hell.
Mel seemed to work better with Colin's Doctor, but many still didn't like her.

September 9th, 2005, 08:28 AM
*chuckle* Aw, that's kinda sad, though. My sweet Fifth Doctor has much more to offer than that! ;)

I saw The Two Doctors last night (yeah, so I'm going through the old series totally at random; whatever I can get my hands on really, and I wanted to see the Sixth Doctor.) Eh, he's okay! I thought I'd hate him, but once I managed to look past his nasty attitude towards Peri, he's actually pretty decent. And I really like Jamie!

Can you guys recommend a Patrick Troughton serial (preferably one that completely survived, *grin*) in which Jamie has a large/interesting/nice/maybe possibly angsty role? I could read through the entire Reference Guide at http://www.drwhoguide.com/who.htm but that'd really spoil the fun.

The Dominators or The War Games.

September 9th, 2005, 08:30 AM
The sixth doctor is pertty good. My favior ep from him is Vengence on Vergo (Sorry if I got the title worng)
My favorite Colin story is Terror of the Vervoids.

September 9th, 2005, 08:32 AM
Can't post it here as it seems to balloon the thread...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/easterlily/Dr%20Who/TheDoctors.jpg
JNT...you may or may not like his stewardship of the show, but you still got to love him.

Seshat
September 9th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Mel seemed to work better with Colin's Doctor, but many still didn't like her.
Her character grew on me after a while, but I'll admit that I did not like her at first.

September 9th, 2005, 11:20 AM
Her character grew on me after a while, but I'll admit that I did not like her at first.
IMO, the constant screaming was annoying. Also, she just came off as too perky and bossy for me to like her in Season 24.

Somehow, she seemed better matched with Colin's Doctor; she seemed less cloy.

September 9th, 2005, 11:28 AM
Just curious. What Troughton episodes have you seen?

September 9th, 2005, 01:10 PM
In between the usual fun, there is a list of a half-dozen or so ambitious projects that we would love to do ... but just don't have the time or manpower. Some of the things we are considering:

... A sub-site dedicated to the granddaddy of sci-fi television, Doctor Who. With something like 65,000 seasons and nothing being broadcast in our area of the U.S. right now, this one would need a skilled and highly dedicated volunteer to help create and maintain.
Awesome. What do you folks think about this possibility?

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/09/briefingweeklystargatenews.shtml

Dallista
September 9th, 2005, 03:01 PM
Just curious. What Troughton episodes have you seen?
At this point, only The Two, the Three, and the Five Doctors (which I'm guessing aren't considered 'normal' Troughton episodes). :D

Dallista
September 9th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Awesome. What do you folks think about this possibility?
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2005/09/briefingweeklystargatenews.shtml
Very, very cool idea... in the sense that I think any attention given to Doctor Who is a Good Thing. But I'm not sure how 'necessary' such a site would be. I mean, if there's one thing I've noticed in the past month or so, it's that Doctor Who already has a very dedicated fanbase with a large amount of extremely informative websites: news sites, detailed episode guides, reviews etc. I wonder what GW would want to add that isn't already covered.
But if they want to surprise me, who am I to say no? :p

Easter Lily
September 9th, 2005, 03:27 PM

I liked the Tomb of the Cybermen and The Ice Warriors... I think they were complete... I vaguely remember Jamie looking suitably angsty...

Wasn't there one that Jamie/Frazer Hinze had chicken pox and turned into Jamie-somebody else... wasn't the greatest story admittedly... Ah... The Mind Robbers. That was complete.

I'm still rather peeved about not having seen the episode where the Time Lords send Jamie and Zoe home and number 2 turns into number 3.

September 9th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I liked the Tomb of the Cybermen and The Ice Warriors... I think they were complete... I vaguely remember Jamie looking suitably angsty...
Ice Warriors is currently missing episodes 2 & 3.

Wasn't there one that Jamie/Frazer Hinze had chicken pox and turned into Jamie-somebody else... wasn't the greatest story admittedly... Ah... The Mind Robbers. That was complete.
Hamish Wilson played him in part of the story.

I'm still rather peeved about not having seen the episode where the Time Lords send Jamie and Zoe home and number 2 turns into number 3.
That was The War Games, a 10-part story.

September 9th, 2005, 03:47 PM
At this point, only The Two, the Three, and the Five Doctors (which I'm guessing aren't considered 'normal' Troughton episodes). :D
No, in fact, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors directly contradict events in The War Games, leading many fans to speculate we saw an altered version of the matrix records in The War Games.

What is the matrix? Why it's the repository of all Gallifreyan knowledge and experience, a "comprehensive" database and "incorruptable" electronic brain, containing the memories of the whole race.

creed462
September 9th, 2005, 07:27 PM
No, in fact, The Five Doctors and The Two Doctors directly contradict events in The War Games, leading many fans to speculate we saw an altered version of the matrix records in The War Games.

What is the matrix? Why it's the repository of all Gallifreyan knowledge and experience, a "comprehensive" database and "incorruptable" electronic brain, containing the memories of the whole race.
The book try to sort this out saying the Doctor was working for a time agentcy before they regererated him.

September 9th, 2005, 07:42 PM
The book try to sort this out saying the Doctor was working for a time agentcy before they regererated him.
This is supposed to be the definitive story.

World Game
BBC Book: 2nd
By Terrance Dicks
Release Date: October 2005
The Doctor has been captured and put on trial by his own people, accused of their greatest crime: interfering with the affairs of other peoples and planets. He is sentenced to exile on Earth. That much is history.

But now the truth can be told - the Doctor did not go straight into exile. First the Time Lords have a task for him. From the trenches of the Great War to the terrors of the French Revolution, the Doctor finds himself on a mission he does not want with a companion he does not like, his life threatened at every turn.

Will the Doctor survive to serve his sentence? Or will this adventure prove to be his Waterloo?

http://images.gallifreyone.com/covers/worldgame2.jpg (http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php)

Willow'sCat
September 10th, 2005, 02:43 AM
I'm working my way through the dvds that are available at the minute and I have the odd season on my pc. The only doctor I haven't had chance to watch yet is the sixth. His companion Mel looks irritating as hell.I didn't mind Mel she was a contrast however to the previous three companions so I think it took some people a while to get use to her but I don't think she stayed that long did she? :S

Hmm, I don't like mixing the Show with the books, personally.;)

creed462
September 10th, 2005, 08:54 AM
I didn't mind Mel she was a contrast however to the previous three companions so I think it took some people a while to get use to her but I don't think she stayed that long did she? :S

I can see why being that i haven't read many of the books myself I just mentioned the earily because it fixes the continuity of the seris. At this point I've only read about the new seris.but they seem to be following continuity from the books. Also there are hugh gaps in the seris that are unacounted for, and I am courious what happen in thoses parts.

September 10th, 2005, 12:00 PM
I didn't mind Mel she was a contrast however to the previous three companions so I think it took some people a while to get use to her but I don't think she stayed that long did she? :S

Mel was in the last 6 episodes of Season 23 (Terror of the Vervoids and The Ultimate Foe) and all 14 episodes of Season 24 (Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, and Dragonfire).

Seshat
September 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Mel was in the last 6 episodes of Season 23 (Terror of the Vervoids and The Ultimate Foe) and all 14 episodes of Season 24 (Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, and Dragonfire).
Wasn't Paradise Towers the one where the two little old ladies try to fatten up and eat Mel for dinner? :S Amazing how just the mention of the ep name brings back the most bizarre memories...it's also interesting what sticks out as a highlight in my mind...:p

September 10th, 2005, 12:56 PM
Wasn't Paradise Towers the one where the two little old ladies try to fatten up and eat Mel for dinner? :S Amazing how just the mention of the ep name brings back the most bizarre memories...it's also interesting what sticks out as a highlight in my mind...:p
Yes, but she had that lean fighting machine Pex to rescue her. :D

Build high for happiness.

Willow'sCat
September 10th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Mel was in the last 6 episodes of Season 23 (Terror of the Vervoids and The Ultimate Foe) and all 14 episodes of Season 24 (Time and the Rani, Paradise Towers, Delta and the Bannermen, and Dragonfire).Ah so it was more like a Season of Mel. :D They showed them (I think) back to back here so it all becomes a blur we went from Colin to Sylvester to pretty much the end of the series (at that time). I almost wished they would do that with the new series, show 28 eps or whatever back to back. Of course I am also pleased they didn't do that. :D It is a conundrum. :S ?!

You seem very well informed, you are one of those obsessed people? :) Haha, so if I have a question I know who to ask? :D Did you say whether you had seen the new series?

creed462
September 11th, 2005, 11:21 AM
Mel I don't remeber much about her. I do remeber Ace now she was a companion. THe best companion the Doctor ever had was Ian though. I like others like Sarah Jane. I still haven't seen much of the frist two doctors so I can't say more.

September 11th, 2005, 12:32 PM
You seem very well informed, you are one of those obsessed people? :) Haha, so if I have a question I know who to ask? :D
As a kid, I watched it religiously. I brought almost all the Target novels. I brought the first couple years worth of New Adventures and Missing Adventures. I bought the non-fiction Doctor Who books about the production of the show. I even have both Doctor Who role-playing games. I pre-order all the Region 1 DVDs.

Growing up, I was obsessed with the show. Now, as a responsible adult...okay, as an adult...alright, fine...as a child trapped in a man's body, I don't always have the cash available to buy all the books, CDs, and such; so, I've fallen behind the times in the Doctor Who universe.

But I'm still pretty knowledgable about the classic series.

Did you say whether you had seen the new series?
I haven't seen the new series yet, but the only extant episodes of the classic series I haven't seen is The Reign of Terror.

I've noticed over the years that the BBC apparently doesn't re-air all the stories sequentially or even regularly, which I found odd. I mean, I know more about the classic series than many Doctor Who fans in England. Well, that's not right, is it?

September 11th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Mel I don't remeber much about her.
Computer expert. Aerobics instructor. Red hair. Screamed continuously.

I do remeber Ace now she was a companion. THe best companion the Doctor ever had was Ian though. I like others like Sarah Jane. I still haven't seen much of the frist two doctors so I can't say more.
Jamie was my favorite.

What first and second Doctor episodes have you seen?

creed462
September 11th, 2005, 02:50 PM
THe unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Distruction
The Aztecs
The Keys of Menos(sp)
The Dalek Invasion of Earth
THe Tenth Planet.
The Tomb Of The Cybermen
The Dominators
The Invastion
The Ice Warriors
The Green Death
and The War Games
Thats what I've seen so far.

Edit :I seen a couple of eps from the Web Planet

September 11th, 2005, 04:50 PM
THe unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Distruction
The Aztecs
The Keys of Menos(sp)
THe Tenth Planet.
The Tomb Of The Cybermen
The Dominators
The Invastion
The Ice Warriors
The Green Death
and The War Games

There are only two more complete second Doctor stories: The Mind Robber and The Seeds of Death. Scattered episodes exist in the Lost in Time collection.

The Lost in Time Collection which contains the following Patrick Troughton episodes:
The Underwater Menace part 3
The Moonbase part 2 & 4
The Faceless Ones part 1 & 3
The Evil of the Daleks part 2
The Abominable Snowman part 2
The Enemy of the World part 3
The Web of Fear part 1
The Wheel in Space part 3 & 6
The Space Pirates part 2

So, you've pretty much seen most of Troughton's existing episodes.

September 11th, 2005, 04:59 PM
THe unearthly Child
The Daleks
The Edge of Distruction
The Aztecs
The Keys of Menos(sp)
THe Tenth Planet.
The Tomb Of The Cybermen
The Dominators
The Invastion
The Ice Warriors
The Green Death
and The War Games

Okay, you've seen most of Season 1 and some of Season 2. That's pretty good for the first Doctor, almost half the existing stories.

I should probably mention the Lost in Time collection also contains the following William Hartnell episodes:

The Crusade (parts 1 & 3)
The Daleks' Masterplan (parts 2, 5, & 10)
The Celestial Toymaker (part 4)

Willow'sCat
September 11th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Growing up, I was obsessed with the show. Now, as a responsible adult...okay, as an adult...alright, fine...as a child trapped in a man's body, I don't always have the cash available to buy all the books, CDs, and such; so, I've fallen behind the times in the Doctor Who universe.OMG! That is well um O.K nuff said. :D

I haven't seen the new series yet, but the only extant episodes of the classic series I haven't seen is The Reign of Terror.You will be buying the new series when it is released there, right? I was going to buy the single volumes but then I found out about the TARDIS box set so...:D Ooh I feel spoiled here we have so much Dr Who on free-to-air (view) 4 days a week at the moment. At this rate we should be through to Sylvester by Christmas. ;) Then I hope they decide to show the New Dr Who Christmas special.

Kind of wished I had taped them now but then how many tapes would I have needed? :eek: I have mostly been dipping in and out of them anyway and I missed two of the regeneration scenes which I wasn't happy about because one was the Hartnell to Troughton which I don't ever remember seeing before this is the second time that the ABC here as broadcast the entire series from start to finish too they re-ran it about 15 years ago I think. No wonder there are so many Australian Dr Who fans.:D

Easter Lily
September 11th, 2005, 08:04 PM
That's becaue the ABC knows the real meaning of scifi fandom unlike other networks which shall remain nameless... :rolleyes:
The only way a show is going to garner a wide audience is if it is given a chance to be seen at an appropriate time. Most people I know who are long-term Whovians watched the show as children. These days, other scifi shows in Australia are shown at ridiculous hours when nobody but hardcore fans would watch them. I didn't even know Firefly was on when it came out here because it was shown at midnight. Stargate used to be shown on prime time but got relegated to late night tv because of the influx of reality shows. With this kind of attitude, how in the world is the genre going to get a fair chance. Thank heavens for DVDs and the internet.
Dr Who certainly is proof that there is a scifi audience out there waiting to be had but the suits that run other stations don't seem to know anything about it.

September 11th, 2005, 08:07 PM
You will be buying the new series when it is released there, right? I was going to buy the single volumes but then I found out about the TARDIS box set so...:D
When the region 1 DVD boxset arrives at my doorstep, I will praise the sci-fi gods.

Ooh I feel spoiled here we have so much Dr Who on free-to-air (view) 4 days a week at the moment. At this rate we should be through to Sylvester by Christmas. ;) Then I hope they decide to show the New Dr Who Christmas special.
Okay, I admit I felt a twinge of envy, but then I remembered how fortunate I was in the past.

Kind of wished I had taped them now but then how many tapes would I have needed? :eek: I have mostly been dipping in and out of them anyway and I missed two of the regeneration scenes which I wasn't happy about because one was the Hartnell to Troughton which I don't ever remember seeing before this is the second time that the ABC here as broadcast the entire series from start to finish too they re-ran it about 15 years ago I think. No wonder there are so many Australian Dr Who fans.:D
Was that a rhetorical question? Do you really want me to answer that?

September 11th, 2005, 08:17 PM
That's becaue the ABC knows the real meaning of scifi fandom unlike other networks which shall remain nameless... :rolleyes:
Corollary: Whereas ABC in America apparently...doesn't.

The only way a show is going to garner a wide audience is if it is given a chance to be seen at an appropriate time. Most people I know who are long-term Whovians watched the show as children. These days, other scifi shows in Australia are shown at ridiculous hours when nobody but hardcore fans would watch them. I didn't even know Firefly was on when it came out here because it was shown at midnight. Stargate used to be shown on prime time but got relegated to late night tv because of the influx of reality shows. With this kind of attitude, how in the world is the genre going to get a fair chance. Thank heavens for DVDs and the internet.
Dr Who certainly is proof that there is a scifi audience out there waiting to be had but the suits that run other stations don't seem to know anything about it.
I think the messages in sci-fi are too theatening to the elite, despite the potential market. It's probably safer to drown the masses with mean-spirited soul-crushing reality shows than intellectually challenge them and open their minds.

Willow'sCat
September 11th, 2005, 09:49 PM
Corollary: Whereas ABC in America apparently...doesn't.Well the ABC in Australia is not unlike the BBC so it doesn't have to worry too much about those pesky ratings (although sadly that is changing).

I didn't even know Firefly was on when it came out here because it was shown at midnight. Stargate used to be shown on prime time but got relegated to late night tv because of the influx of reality shows. With this kind of attitude, how in the world is the genre going to get a fair chance. Thank heavens for DVDs and the internet.
Dr Who certainly is proof that there is a scifi audience out there waiting to be had but the suits that run other stations don't seem to know anything about it.SORRY - Off-topic.

I missed most of Firefly too in Tasmania it screened at 1am or 2am!:S If I forgot to tape it or my VCR was set wrong (which it was :o ) I missed it.:( I think I saw about 7 eps all up and I still haven't got the DVD. :cool:

Yes I remember when Stargate first started even here they would run ads I haven't seen an ad for it in 5 years!

In the beginning it was screened at 7.30/8.30 on a Wednesday then moved to Friday. Then disappeared for two years I think then came back at 11pm on Monday moved to Tuesday for a while and then settled kind of at 11.30pm Thursday.:rolleyes: Yeah, way to get and maintain an audience Channel 7. Don't even ask about SGA scheduling in Tasmania. :eek:

creed462
September 12th, 2005, 04:23 PM
I didn't get to see then till now, PBS only showed from TOm Baker where I used to live. They also showed it in movie format. You miss a bit when its now in its original format.

September 12th, 2005, 05:17 PM
I didn't get to see then till now, PBS only showed from TOm Baker where I used to live. They also showed it in movie format. You miss a bit when its now in its original format.
Wow, that's strange. I can understand cutting off Hartnell and Troughton because of all the missing episodes, but not Pertwee. All of his stories are intact.

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 02:52 AM
Have you people seen the incredibly hilarious Dead Ringers and their take on the Doctors... it's a hoot...
The Chris Ecclestone one is very very funny...

Willow'sCat
September 13th, 2005, 03:44 AM
Have you people seen the incredibly hilarious Dead Ringers and their take on the Doctors... it's a hoot...
The Chris Ecclestone one is very very funny...Have you seen the Tom Baker one? The first couple of series they did him and the voice was spot on. I don't mind the Chris one but the Tom one was excellent. Oh and of course the real Tom Baker does the voice over for "Little Britain" teehee. :D

Earth Shock is on here at the moment - Cybermen, yea!

September 13th, 2005, 06:55 AM
The Chris Ecclestone one is very very funny...
Don't get that program in the U.S., besides I'm sure few folks here would get all the references.

In America, Doctor Who is not big part of the culture. It's considered a cult classic, and generates little interest or acknowledgement from the mainstream audience.

September 13th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Did they show the originally deleted segment?

#Except from Earthshock script.#

*Cybermen are standing around their little holographic projector.*

CYBERLEADER: And in this third incarnation, he joined a top secret taskforce and decided he was too good for us. He totally dissed us!

CYBERMEN #1: George. That was ten years ago. Let it go.

CYBERMEN #2: Man, this is going to be awkward if we ever run into him.

CYBERMEN #1: Oh, get real! He's like totally outside our time stream now. The only way we'll see him is if someone uses a timescoop.

CYBERMEN #2: Good point, Dave.

CYBERLEADER: Now, where was I?

CYBERMEN #1: Number four....

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 12:31 PM
Have you seen the Tom Baker one? The first couple of series they did him and the voice was spot on. I don't mind the Chris one but the Tom one was excellent. Oh and of course the real Tom Baker does the voice over for "Little Britain" teehee. :D -

Yes... that one was extremely good... Very clever... I was flabbergasted the whole time because the impersonator was so perfectly in tune.

It's a terrifc story so far... Peter Davison is pretty good actually.
Not sure what I think of the new Cyberman look though.

Seshat
September 13th, 2005, 01:07 PM
Don't get that program in the U.S., besides I'm sure few folks here would get all the references.

In America, Doctor Who is not big part of the culture. It's considered a cult classic, and generates little interest or acknowledgement from the mainstream audience.
That is SO VERY TRUE that it makes me want to cry! :S

Even back when Doctor Who was shown regularly on my PBS station in the 70s and 80s very few people had ever heard of it in my area, so I had no one to share it with...I had to grow up to find other fans!

September 13th, 2005, 02:14 PM
That is SO VERY TRUE that it makes me want to cry! :S

Even back when Doctor Who was shown regularly on my PBS station in the 70s and 80s very few people had ever heard of it in my area, so I had no one to share it with...I had to grow up to find other fans!
Throughout the years, I met very few Doctor Who fans. None of my friends were into it. Years ago, I tried getting on forums, but people were just so nasty. I thought the whole point was to share something you enjoy and have some fun.

That's why I like Gateworld. People are pretty nice here.

What really sucked in all those years was the attitude people gave me about liking the program, especially the condescending attitude from many of my relatives. My interest in science fiction was always considered a sign of immaturity, and my resulting indignation was considered childishly cute.

Did you ever just want to scream?

Regardless, the point is I have come to greatly appreciate the opportunity to discuss sci-fi with folks from around the world. I can live out on the farm and still have intelligent discussions. It's great.

I wish there were websites like this when I was a kid.

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 03:04 PM
I've been very fortunate because my father is a huge scifi fan... he's been the biggest influence on us in many areas obviously... my brother and I, but especially with regards to scifi. Yeah, he tapes them all and watches them at leisure. When I lived with my parents, we used to watch Trek, Dr Who together.

Dr Who also has quite an extensive following in Australia (and other Commonwealth countries)... a number of my colleagues/friends have confessed to me that they were terrified of the Daleks when they were kids.

Seshat
September 13th, 2005, 03:15 PM
I've been very fortunate because my father is a huge scifi fan... he's been the biggest influence on us in many areas obviously... my brother and I, but especially with regards to scifi. Yeah, he tapes them all and watches them at leisure. When I lived with my parents, we used to watch Trek, Dr Who together.

My dad would sometimes watch (the original) Trek with me, although I now suspect that his interest lay in the length of the female yeoman's skirts ;) and not in the technobabble and underlying mythos. Sweet man that he was, he DID also go with me to the first Trek movie. :)

September 13th, 2005, 04:31 PM
That must be terrific to be accepted within society, but especially within your own family...as opposed to be written off as a pathetic loser. :S

Easter Lily, I can not imagine growing up in the environment you described. I can't even imagine how that would feel, but it made me very happy to hear that. Thank you. :)

September 13th, 2005, 04:33 PM
Dr Who also has quite an extensive following in Australia (and other Commonwealth countries)... a number of my colleagues/friends have confessed to me that they were terrified of the Daleks when they were kids.
The only Doctor Who episode that scared me was Inferno.

Imagine being trapped in a industrial site crawling with werewolves that can mutate you into a feral creature simply with a touch; while the planet is facing imminent destruction, no one believes a word you say, and your friends have turned against you.

So, you're alone in a confined area having to fight your friends and avoid being killed or turned into a vicious monster; while you try to save the world.

Pretty disturbing, but it's a great story.

September 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM
My dad would sometimes watch (the original) Trek with me, although I now suspect that his interest lay in the length of the female yeoman's skirts ;) and not in the technobabble and underlying mythos. Sweet man that he was, he DID also go with me to the first Trek movie. :)
Star Trek...something for everyone. :D

creed462
September 13th, 2005, 04:51 PM
I haven't seen Inferno Is that a third Doctor eps

September 13th, 2005, 05:00 PM
I haven't seen Inferno Is that a third Doctor eps
IMO, it isn't a third Doctor episode...it is THE third Doctor episode.

One of the best ever...and somewhat cheesy, yet disturbing at the same time.

It's the last story of Season 7, Pertwee's fourth story as the Doctor.

Willow'sCat
September 13th, 2005, 07:43 PM
That must be terrific to be accepted within society, but especially within your own family...as opposed to be written off as a pathetic loser. :S

Easter Lily, I can not imagine growing up in the environment you described. I can't even imagine how that would feel, but it made me very happy to hear that. Thank you. :)Haha, I don't know whether to laugh or cry over that. :) Aw, You poor mite I have numerous siblings we all loved watching the show as kids and we still love it so I always had them to share it with and well, you know what kids are like :o we would act out things from the show! :D Haha, my brothers even had my mum knit them a Tom Baker style scarfs to wear to school! It was very big in the late seventies early eighties and everyone was pretty much a fan here even if they didn't always admit to it. ;)

When the new show was still in production I ran around telling everyone to watch it (just knew the ABC would screen it) I told anyone who would listen and a few who didn't want to listen. I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't think I'm a pathetic loser! They understand me and except it well, like they have a choice. :D

The only Doctor Who episode that scared me was Inferno. Really? I hate spiders so guess which one I was scared by most? :eek: I lived behind the couch watching that one, hehe.;)

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 08:39 PM

Easter Lily, I can not imagine growing up in the environment you described. I can't even imagine how that would feel, but it made me very happy to hear that. Thank you. :)

Dad's always enjoyed scifi for its imaginative storytelling and so have I. I think good scifi is still the pioneer of good storytelling. I don't watch much except scifi and maybe one cop show these days. It's the only genre that I find interesting enough to challenge me on different levels.

Yeah, it's weird for me to hear people being so contemptuous of scifi. Almost incomprehensible, really. To hear people say that scifi is the domain of geeks, and nerds is so strange really. But then, maybe I am a nerd... :D

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 08:43 PM
The only Doctor Who episode that scared me was Inferno.

Imagine being trapped in a industrial site crawling with werewolves that can mutate you into a feral creature simply with a touch; while the planet is facing imminent destruction, no one believes a word you say, and your friends have turned against you.

So, you're alone in a confined area having to fight your friends and avoid being killed or turned into a vicious monster; while you try to save the world.

Pretty disturbing, but it's a great story.

Well, I hate vampires... I cannot watch anything with vampires in it... so you can guess which one really scared me...
The Daleks don't scare me, neither do the Cyberman or ice warriors or any other monster of the week but a screaming companion has the effect of sending me up the proverbial wall.

September 13th, 2005, 09:12 PM
It was very big in the late seventies early eighties and everyone was pretty much a fan here even if they didn't always admit to it. ;)
No matter how many times I hear stories like that, it always strikes me as completely weird. It's like we're living in different parallel universes. We speak the same language and have tons of stuff in common. I can't imagine something I enjoy being a part of the mainstream culture.

In America, I'm the oddball...the stubborn non-conformist...the one who thinks too much and is completely out-of-sync with the culture. None of my favorite shows are produced in America: Stargate, Farscape, Doctor Who.

When the new show was still in production I ran around telling everyone to watch it (just knew the ABC would screen it) I told anyone who would listen and a few who didn't want to listen. I wouldn't go so far as to say they don't think I'm a pathetic loser! They understand me and except it well, like they have a choice. :D
To be able to openly discuss Doctor Who and have someone understand the reference would be great. For it to be a part of mainstream culture and for folks to be able to understand me would be huge.

Really? I hate spiders so guess which one I was scared by most? :eek: I lived behind the couch watching that one, hehe.;)
You have a little arachnaphobia, so you find Planet of Spiders scary.

I've suffered from severe depersonalization disorder, so the whole werewolf thing in Inferno is a really disturbing reminder for me.

Makes perfect sense.

September 13th, 2005, 09:15 PM
Dad's always enjoyed scifi for its imaginative storytelling and so have I. I think good scifi is still the pioneer of good storytelling. I don't watch much except scifi and maybe one cop show these days. It's the only genre that I find interesting enough to challenge me on different levels.Ditto.

Yeah, it's weird for me to hear people being so contemptuous of scifi. Almost incomprehensible, really. To hear people say that scifi is the domain of geeks, and nerds is so strange really. But then, maybe I am a nerd... :DNot to sound arrogant, but most folks seem to lack the necessary imagination to appreciate the depth of the storytelling and the underlying messages. To them, we're nerds. It's just their way of letting us know how threatened they feel by our intellects.

[EDIT: Okay, that was pretty arrogant. Accurate but arrogant nevertheless.]

September 13th, 2005, 09:33 PM
Well, I hate vampires... I cannot watch anything with vampires in it... so you can guess which one really scared me...
State of Decay. That's interesting. So, not a big Ann Rice fan I take it?

If you don't mind me asking...was it...
the predatory aspect (the whole food chain thing),
the undead aspect (unnatural existence),
the infectious aspect (spreading the curse to overwhelming numbers), or
the transformation aspect (personally changing from human-to-vampire)
of the vampires that frightened you?

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 09:55 PM
State of Decay. That's interesting. So, not a big Ann Rice fan I take it?
That would be an understatement seeing that I've never read any of her books.

If you don't mind me asking...was it...
the predatory aspect (the whole food chain thing),
the undead aspect (unnatural existence),
the infectious aspect (spreading the curse to overwhelming numbers), or
the transformation aspect (personally changing from human-to-vampire)
of the vampires that frightened you?

It's the blood sucking neck thing that gets to me...

Easter Lily
September 13th, 2005, 10:00 PM
[EDIT: Okay, that was pretty arrogant. Accurate but arrogant nevertheless.]

The truth hurts buddy...
Besides, there's no polite way to say it... :D

creed462
September 14th, 2005, 06:30 AM
Inferno Sounds good I can't wait until it comes out on DVD.

September 14th, 2005, 07:35 AM
Inferno Sounds good I can't wait until it comes out on DVD.Yeah, me too! Just one thing...some of the costumes in this particular story are so dated, it hilarious. With Doctor Who, there's always some cheesy element you have to accept.

IMO, the best Pertwee episodes are...
Spearhead from Space *
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Three Doctors *
Carnival of Monsters *
The Green Death *

*Already released on Region 1 DVDs.

Seshat
September 14th, 2005, 07:55 AM
You have a little arachnaphobia, so you find Planet of Spiders scary.

I've suffered from severe depersonalization disorder, so the whole werewolf thing in Inferno is a really disturbing reminder for me.

Makes perfect sense.
For me, as long as there are no come-to-life talking dummies (a la Charlie McCarthy), I'm good. Those things really creep me out beyond belief for some reason. :o

Seshat
September 14th, 2005, 07:57 AM
Yeah, me too! Just one thing...some of the costumes in this particular story are so dated, it hilarious. With Doctor Who, there's always some cheesy element you have to accept.
Very true, but accepting the cheesy elements in Doctor Who at an early age prepared me for the whole "suspension of disbelief" discussions here at GW. :)

September 14th, 2005, 09:35 AM
For me, as long as there are no come-to-life talking dummies (a la Charlie McCarthy), I'm good. Those things really creep me out beyond belief for some reason. :o
Human-shaped inanimate objects are creepy because the contrast of the rational mind knowing the matter isn't alive against the latent anxiety of their impossible animation.

Terror of the Autons really exploited that, even better than Spearhead from Space.

September 14th, 2005, 09:51 AM
Very true, but accepting the cheesy elements in Doctor Who at an early age prepared me for the whole "suspension of disbelief" discussions here at GW. :)
The really early seasons of Doctor Who are basically filmed theatre productions. Sometimes, the creative folks just couldn't produce the props, sets, and costumes they envisioned on a small budget, so the audience had to take a more active role in their viewing and fill in the gaps. ;)

Even in Tom Baker's era, the budget wasn't always there; but he was able to convey the things that couldn't be shot and somehow convince us it was very real and scary. He was very effective in turning the disadvantage of low production values into good drama. :)

If you can suspend you disbelief enough to enjoy Doctor Who, then you really won't have much of a problem doing that for anything else...even for an online wacko like me. Sure I seem like a plain text caricature in this forum, but in real life...I'm just as nuanced as any CGI character. :D

Easter Lily
September 14th, 2005, 01:34 PM
It was Trek for me...
It always amuses me that people are so insistent on these shows being realistic sometimes.

Seshat
September 14th, 2005, 01:41 PM
It was Trek for me...
It always amuses me that people are so insistent on these shows being realistic sometimes.
It's always struck me as sad that some people take everything so literally regarding a fantasy television show. It's as if no one ever showed them how to flex their imaginations. :(

Not that I don't enjoy a good discussion about the number of times someone has said, "But it's so much bigger on the inside..." ;)

Indum'kra
September 14th, 2005, 01:46 PM
The Tardis is perfectly possible. For instance, if you created a new universe in your garage, you wouldn't be crushed, you might not even see th euniverse, as it would create it's own time-space to exist in.

September 14th, 2005, 02:09 PM
Not that I don't enjoy a good discussion about the number of times someone has said, "But it's so much bigger on the inside..." ;)We've never actually seen the exterior of the TARDIS.

We've only seen the interior and the ship's anchor.

The Tardis is perfectly possible. For instance, if you created a new universe in your garage, you wouldn't be crushed, you might not even see th euniverse, as it would create it's own time-space to exist in.The police box is actually just the anchor, the interface between different realms, one normal and the other apparently some form of hyper-space. In other words, the police box functions as a tesseract.

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/tesseract

Ironically, this definition contains a Doctor Who reference.

creed462
September 14th, 2005, 04:45 PM
Yeah, me too! Just one thing...some of the costumes in this particular story are so dated, it hilarious. With Doctor Who, there's always some cheesy element you have to accept.

IMO, the best Pertwee episodes are...
Spearhead from Space *
Inferno
Terror of the Autons
The Mind of Evil
The Three Doctors *
Carnival of Monsters *
The Green Death *

*Already released on Region 1 DVDs.
Oh I not worried about that I understand older show and budget I ussally give them that.

creed462
September 14th, 2005, 04:46 PM
The Tardis is perfectly possible. For instance, if you created a new universe in your garage, you wouldn't be crushed, you might not even see th euniverse, as it would create it's own time-space to exist in.
I heard they got the idea of the Tardis from C.S. Lewis' Cronicles of Narina.

September 14th, 2005, 05:30 PM
I heard they got the idea of the Tardis from C.S. Lewis' Cronicles of Narina.I never heard that before. Interesting. I always heard they just couldn't afford to build a huge exterior ship prop, so they just decided to make the exterior a small recognizable object.

September 14th, 2005, 06:47 PM
It's always struck me as sad that some people take everything so literally regarding a fantasy television show. It's as if no one ever showed them how to flex their imaginations. :(
You hit the nail right on the head, my friend. You have to be willing to exercise your imagination. You must let go of your conscious mind. You must unlearn what you have learned.

Sorry...channelling Yoda there for a moment, I was. Mmm-hmm-hmm-hmm-hmmmmmm. Stop now, I will. Talking strange, I am.

Willow'sCat
September 14th, 2005, 09:22 PM
It's always struck me as sad that some people take everything so literally regarding a fantasy television show. It's as if no one ever showed them how to flex their imaginations. :( Aw, come on my favourite thing to say on line is "But it's just a TV show! :p *ducks down to avoid the bricks* :D

Not that I don't enjoy a good discussion about the number of times someone has said, "But it's so much bigger on the inside..." ;)Haha, that happened last night in the Earth Shock episode well, they came into the TARDIS and then the looks on their faces just said "it' so much bigger on the inside". Well it is. ;)
I am not sure about the C.S Lewis link (with the TARDIS) that may be wishful thinking on behalf of some Narina/Who fans. ;)

Willow'sCat
September 15th, 2005, 12:31 AM
:( Well he died. :( I never realised they changed the credits at the end of that episode his little badge laying all smashed up. :(

That must have been the one and only time the credits were changed? :cool:

Dallista
September 15th, 2005, 01:06 AM
I'm watching all the Fifth Doctor serials in chronological order, and watched up to Arc of Infinity last night. That serial is so crazy! I just couldn't control my laughter when the Doctor and his companions are chasing Omega through the streets of Amsterdam. It reminded me of that Benny Hill intro with all the women chasing him. It just looked so silly! It was interesting to see Amsterdam, though; I think it was filmed in 1982. So that's what Amsterdam looked like when I was one year old. Gotta say, it hasn't changed all that much in 23 years, and I recognized a lot of the spots. Fun! And the plot was quite good, too, except for the "Oh, we cannot hope to catch the bad guy, so we'll just execute the Doctor." Those Gallifreyans sure have a wicked sense of justice!

September 15th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Aw, come on my favourite thing to say on line is "But it's just a TV show! :p *ducks down to avoid the bricks* :D
Sure, it's a television show, but the point wasn't about the show. It was about the rampant lack of imagination, at least that's how I took it, and on that score I agreed.

September 15th, 2005, 02:08 PM
:( Well he died. :( I never realised they changed the credits at the end of that episode his little badge laying all smashed up. :(

The Time Meddler, back in Season 2, had different ending credits with the faces of the Doctor, Steven, and Vicki, morphing from one to the other. It was kind of cool, actually.

Seshat
September 15th, 2005, 02:14 PM

I know. *sniffles*

I was a kid when I saw the ending and actually had a tear or two.... :(:o

(((((Drwho'srose)))))

September 15th, 2005, 02:21 PM
I'm watching all the Fifth Doctor serials in chronological order, and watched up to Arc of Infinity last night. That serial is so crazy!Leonard Sachs did a terrible job as Borusa. :S

Those Gallifreyans sure have a wicked sense of justice!Yeah, but they make up for it with their amazing sense of humor. :rolleyes:

creed462
September 15th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Earth shock ending was hard I hoped Avrick would go home, Then I was hoping the Doctor would get him..... It was real sad.

Willow'sCat
September 15th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Sure, it's a television show, but the point wasn't about the show. It was about the rampant lack of imagination, at least that's how I took it, and on that score I agreed.Yes but it isn't just a lack of imagination it is also a lack of humour! ;) I guess that is why my favourite SciFi shows all have humour mixed in and not just for one or two episode it is an integral part of the show/s. :D

Easter Lily
September 16th, 2005, 03:10 AM
I know. *sniffles*

I was a kid when I saw the ending and actually had a tear or two.... :(:o

(((((Drwho'srose)))))

I admit I was almost there last night... Poor Adric...

Easter Lily
September 16th, 2005, 03:23 AM
Sure, it's a television show, but the point wasn't about the show. It was about the rampant lack of imagination, at least that's how I took it, and on that score I agreed.

Maybe I'm a little naive but I've always believed that the operative word in science fiction is "fiction". Lately, however, I get this feeling that a lot of people take the "science" part a mite too seriously... I suppose if that's how they want to spend their time, that's their business but I just feel that we've lost a sense of child-like wonder about spaceships, aerial fights and robotic monsters. I thought the whole point of scifi was literally about stretching the imagination... to be child-like even if for a brief moment in time.

I don't have a problem watching classic Dr Who episodes in spite of the cheesy sets and sfx... because there are still good stories and ultimately the stories are what stay with us.

creed462
September 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Maybe I'm a little naive but I've always believed that the operative word in science fiction is "fiction". Lately, however, I get this feeling that a lot of people take the "science" part a mite too seriously... I suppose if that's how they want to spend their time, that's their business but I just feel that we've lost a sense of child-like wonder about spaceships, aerial fights and robotic monsters. I thought the whole point of scifi was literally about stretching the imagination... to be child-like even if for a brief moment in time.

I don't have a problem watching classic Dr Who episodes in spite of the cheesy sets and sfx... because there are still good stories and ultimately the stories are what stay with us.
It's a style of Sci Fi started by Jules Vernes, I personally like science fact mixed into science fiction. It makes it more beleivable. But there are times when I like the other. Both have a place.

Mr Prophet
September 16th, 2005, 08:22 AM
It's a style of Sci Fi started by Jules Vernes, I personally like science fact mixed into science fiction. It makes it more beleivable. But there are times when I like the other. Both have a place.

Yeah; the split goes right back to Verne, with Wells on the other side of the debate. Verne was mad for exact science (although retrospectively, most of his science is just as dodgy as Wells), while Herbert George was more of the 'well, what I really need is something that flies without a gasbag...' school of invention.

September 16th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Maybe I'm a little naive but I've always believed that the operative word in science fiction is "fiction". Lately, however, I get this feeling that a lot of people take the "science" part a mite too seriously... I suppose if that's how they want to spend their time, that's their business but I just feel that we've lost a sense of child-like wonder about spaceships, aerial fights and robotic monsters. I thought the whole point of scifi was literally about stretching the imagination... to be child-like even if for a brief moment in time.Yeah, I agree. Doctor Who with its low production values still told good stories.

An example of the opposite...remember Star Trek the Motion Picture or The Phantom Menace? A ton of money was poured into effects that far surpassed the earlier efforts of the franchises. Yet fans were largely disappointed in the story and characters.

Later Star Trek II: The Wraith of Khan and Revenge of the Sith had well-written character-driven stories that largely reaffirmed the faith of the fans in the respective franchises.

I don't have a problem watching classic Dr Who episodes in spite of the cheesy sets and sfx... because there are still good stories and ultimately the stories are what stay with us.And there were many talented actors, who took the show very seriously and pulled the audience right into the story. Combine that with a low budget and it's a surreal and sublime experience that brings you right back to childhood when you were willing to believe in anything.

Indum'kra
September 16th, 2005, 04:09 PM
"Revenge of the Sith had well-written character-driven stories"
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that cracked me up.

September 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM
"Revenge of the Sith had well-written character-driven stories"
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA that cracked me up.
Well, compared to The Phantom Menace. Boy, I knew that analogy was a mistake as soon as I wrote it.

Easter Lily
September 16th, 2005, 05:26 PM
Well, it's all comparative anyway...
Actually on some level Revenge of the Sith had better characteriziation but because the dialogue stank rather badly, so the story sank as a whole especially regarding the whole Anakin-turning-to-the-darkside thing. :D

Willow'sCat
September 16th, 2005, 06:03 PM
Maybe I'm a little naive but I've always believed that the operative word in science fiction is "fiction". Lately, however, I get this feeling that a lot of people take the "science" part a mite too seriously... I suppose if that's how they want to spend their time, that's their business but I just feel that we've lost a sense of child-like wonder about spaceships, aerial fights and robotic monsters. I thought the whole point of scifi was literally about stretching the imagination... to be child-like even if for a brief moment in time.That is more or less where I am coming from I don't mind the discussion threads about the science of the show/s but sometimes I think they have forgotten it is also fiction? :o That is why I don't go onto Dr Who exclusive sites it gets too much for me and they make fun of my lack of knowledge despite the fact I have watch the show on the Television from first runs not DVD's. :p :D Haha, just because I cannot name the second extra from the left in the first Hartnell episode doesn't mean I am not a huge Dr Who fan! :D

Easter Lily
September 16th, 2005, 06:58 PM
I guess my beef is that I don't care much about believability as much as storytelling. I don't have a science background so they could be fudging the whole lot and I'd be none the wiser... :D I'm more into the philosophical and allegorical side of scifi... :)

Easter Lily
September 16th, 2005, 07:01 PM
Haha, just because I cannot name the second extra from the left in the first Hartnell episode doesn't meant I am not a huge Dr Who fan! :D
That's why I've got the Dr Who: The Television Companion on permanent loan to me from my friend... :D
Unfortunately, it's not indexed... :p

creed462
September 16th, 2005, 07:22 PM
I agree story is the most important! I like science so scientific plasabilty is a plus to me, but with out story the show isn't worth it

September 17th, 2005, 11:37 AM
That is more or less where I am coming from I don't mind the discussion threads about the science of the show/s but sometimes I think they have forgotten it is also fiction? :o That is why I don't go onto Dr Who exclusive sites it gets too much for me and they make fun of my lack of knowledge despite the fact I have watch the show on the Television from first runs not DVD's. :p :D Haha, just because I cannot name the second extra from the left in the first Hartnell episode doesn't mean I am not a huge Dr Who fan! :DI had the same experience. You'd think folks would be happy to be able to speak with other sci-fi fans. I don't understand the general snottiness on those dedicated Doctor Who forums.

Then again, maybe that's just an American quirk, since Doctor Who is very unappreciated here.

September 17th, 2005, 12:09 PM
I guess my beef is that I don't care much about believability as much as storytelling. I don't have a science background so they could be fudging the whole lot and I'd be none the wiser... :D I'm more into the philosophical and allegorical side of scifi... :)Well, I agree in general, but there are examples of bad science which, at best, jars the viewer out of the story.

Star Trek Season 2: Operation-Annihilate!
McCoy must try to find a way to remove an alien parasite from Spock. He suspects some frequency of electromagnetic energy will work, so he bombards Spock with a burst of the whole light spectrum, blinding him. Turns out, the creature was susceptible to the invisible ultra-violent light. Anybody who knows science, especially a physician, would know to test the invisible frequencies (starting from the lower frequencies) in short bursts instead of blasting an unprotected patient with visible light.

Also, Spock refuses protection because the he wants the test to be accurate for the purposes of evaluating the effects on the infected population of Deneva. Does that really make sense?
This episode illustrates that when bad science is used, the resulting drama looks campy.

Space 1999 Season 1: Breakaway
Moon Base Alpha directs the storage of nuclear waste on the far side of the moon. The presence of too much waste creates a magnetic potential which results in an explosion that blows the moon out of orbit at superluminal (faster-than-light) speed.
You may not know that magnetism and radiation result from completely different forces. That's understandable. But could anyone honestly be expected to believe the moon could survive such an explosion and achieve light-speed? It's just all-around impossible. This episode was the basis of a series that continually contrasted serious drama with scientific absurdity.

I realize Doctor Who had its moments, but by using pseduoscience and keeping one foot in the realm of fantasy, it usually managed to avoid such foul-ups.

September 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM
I agree story is the most important! I like science so scientific plasabilty is a plus to me, but with out story the show isn't worth itIt's really impossible to have a hardcore science fiction television series. It's just too hard to keep things scientifically plausible every week and still have an interesting series.

Hardcore sci-fi is really for novels and sometimes movies.

All television science fiction is soft sci-fi that fudges the results and concentrates on the story elements.

Willow'sCat
September 17th, 2005, 10:12 PM
All television science fiction is soft sci-fi that fudges the results and concentrates on the story elements.Yes and that is why I love it you can have little or no knowledge of real science and still be thoroughly entertained. :D

And no it is not an American thing some DW fans are just snobs and IMO 'over the top'. ;) However I find the same with some other Sci-Fi shows and their sites. Thankfully GW seems pretty good in that department but it has a lot of different threads so I think that maybe the reason it is not so heated here or maybe it is because I spend most of my time lurking and not posting in the Season and Science threads. :D

creed462
September 18th, 2005, 11:00 AM
I was wondering what are y'all's thought on the Key to TIme arc

September 18th, 2005, 12:16 PM
I was wondering what are y'all's thought on the Key to TIme arcI enjoyed every episode in the Key to Time Saga. Then again, there are very few Doctor Who episodes I haven't enjoyed.

The Ribos Operation is typical of the politically driven stories written by Robert "the greatest Doctor Who writer ever" Holmes, involving con-artists, susperstious natives of the planet Ribos, and a power-hungry dictator from space.

The Pirate Planet is a silly but clever story by the master of "silly but clever", Douglas "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" Adams.

The Stones of Blood is a nice little gothic mystery with a sci-fi twist by David Fischer.

The Android of Tara is a swash-buckling adventure that juxtaposes a medievel society with androids by David Fischer.

The Power of Kroll is another politically driven story by Robert Holmes, involving the transplanted natives of Delta Magna struggle against incursion from an Earth corporation.

The Armageddon Factor is the darkest of the six, involving the endless war between two worlds and a plot to seize the Key to Time by Bob Baker and Dave Martin.

I was purposely vague in my descriptions because I didn't know if you had already seem them or not. So, have you seen them yet?

[EDIT: Many critics felt Graham Williams three year stint as producer saw the worst episodes in Tom Baker's run. Personally, I feel most of Tom Baker's run was good. I really liked 80% of Graham William's productions, so I'm out of line with many critics. Also, I liked Douglas Adams contributions, so I am a minority there as well. Certainly, the Seasons 16 & 17 do not have the gravitas of Seasons 13 & 14, but I enjoyed them for the light-hearted fun they are.

If this doesn't appeal to you, so be it. That's the nice thing about Doctor Who, so many Doctors and eras to choose from. If you enjoyed the Bryant/Sherwin or Bryant/Dicks years of Troughton and the Letts/Dicks years of Pertwee, then I think you'll like the Williams/Holmes, Williams/Read, and Williams/Adams stories.]

creed462
September 19th, 2005, 12:04 PM
I own the frist three, I'll be buying the others soon. But it was pertty cool seeing an arc in a seris before that kind of thing was popular.

Mr Prophet
September 19th, 2005, 01:12 PM
I'd just like to point out to those who complain about the availability of Dr Who in the States, the UK doesn't have the Key to Time on DVD yet!

September 19th, 2005, 05:56 PM
I'd just like to point out to those who complain about the availability of Dr Who in the States, the UK doesn't have the Key to Time on DVD yet!Once again...another oddity in the realm of Doctor Who. I understand why The Key to Time boxset was released in America first, but I can not fathom why, after all the DVDs had been authored, they didn't release it in Britain. Tom Baker is pretty iconic there or so I've been led to believe. The kids love K-9. The dads love Mary Tamm. Does anyone know why?

September 19th, 2005, 06:13 PM
I own the frist three, I'll be buying the others soon. But it was pertty cool seeing an arc in a seris before that kind of thing was popular.If you think about it, Doctor Who is unique in the history of television for its format. I have never encountered another example of an episodic series divided into discete stories....

....let alone such a format applied to a larger over-arcing story.

We saw this first with Frontier in Space & Planet of the Daleks in Season 10.

Then the Nerva Saga in Season 12.

Then the Key to Time Saga in Season 16.

Then the E-Space Trilogy in Season 18.

Then The Keeper of Traken, Logopolis, and Castrovalva in Season 18 & 19.

Then the Black Guardian Trilogy in Season 20.

And finally The Trial of a Time Lord in Season 23.

Personally, I think they should release all these stories as boxsets.

September 19th, 2005, 06:15 PM
I own the frist three, I'll be buying the others soon. But it was pertty cool seeing an arc in a seris before that kind of thing was popular.So, what did you think of the first three?

Dallista
September 20th, 2005, 03:39 AM
Almost finished watching the Peter Davison era of Doctor Who (decided I neede some sleep last night halfway through Planet of Fire). I must say, all the violence in that last season is rather refreshing. I don't mind, but I can see why long-time fans might not have felt it very appropriate. Especially Resurrection of the Daleks was a bit overkill at times. I'm more upset about seeing Tegan leave than I was when Nyssa left, even though I liked Nyssa more. I heard that there's gonna be a BF audio drama featuring the Fifth Doctor and Tegan; I cannot wait to hear that. I hope they'll be able to talk a bit about what happened, because her leaving was rather abrupt.

I suppose next on the list will have to be some of the Tom Baker serials, although I've come to love Five so much, I fear Four will be a big shock.

flippy18
September 20th, 2005, 05:04 AM
I might have to borrow some 5th Doctor stories I think. Having watched Peter Davidson on 'At home with the Braithwaites' recently it would be cool to revisit him as the Doctor :)

3rd and 4th Doctor are my favourites. As for the Companions, well, Sarah Jane Smith rocks :cool:

September 20th, 2005, 04:05 PM
Almost finished watching the Peter Davison era of Doctor Who (decided I neede some sleep last night halfway through Planet of Fire). I must say, all the violence in that last season is rather refreshing. I don't mind, but I can see why long-time fans might not have felt it very appropriate. Especially Resurrection of the Daleks was a bit overkill at times.I think Resurrection of the Daleks had the highest body count ever in Doctor Who.

I'm more upset about seeing Tegan leave than I was when Nyssa left, even though I liked Nyssa more. I heard that there's gonna be a BF audio drama featuring the Fifth Doctor and Tegan; I cannot wait to hear that. I hope they'll be able to talk a bit about what happened, because her leaving was rather abrupt.I largely found Tegan annoying, so I wasn't too upset when she left. Her departure did punctuate the sadness of the story.

I did get upset when Nyssa left because I really did like her character, but I think dark gloomy depressing and corrupt backdrop of Terminus really undercut her departure. I felt more relief than sorrow when that awful story was over.

I suppose next on the list will have to be some of the Tom Baker serials, although I've come to love Five so much, I fear Four will be a big shock.How so?

September 20th, 2005, 04:09 PM
I might have to borrow some 5th Doctor stories I think. Having watched Peter Davidson on 'At home with the Braithwaites' recently it would be cool to revisit him as the Doctor :)

3rd and 4th Doctor are my favourites. As for the Companions, well, Sarah Jane Smith rocks :cool:I like Sarah Jane in Season 13 & 14. She was too whiny in Season 11 & 12. When you really think about it, she was very brave.

creed462
September 20th, 2005, 04:24 PM
They are great, I love how the doctor even out smarts the computer judges that are so full of their abilities.

September 20th, 2005, 04:45 PM
They are great, I love how the doctor even out smarts the computer judges that are so full of their abilities.I like the sacrifice scene in Stones of Blood. "Is that knife clean?"

In The Pirate Planet, I like all of the Captain's exclamations.

"By the left frontal lobe of the sky demon, Mr. Fibuli..."

Classic Douglas Adams.

creed462
September 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM
I like the sacrifice scene in Stones of Blood. "Is that knife clean?"

In The Pirate Planet, I like all of the Captain's exclamations.

"By the left frontal lobe of the sky demon, Mr. Fibuli..."

Classic Douglas Adams.
I've seen the other three eps, I just orders part4, any way my favorite sceen is when the Black Gardian is playing like the white Gardian and the Doctor says "for a moment I thought I was color blind"

September 20th, 2005, 06:21 PM
I've seen the other three eps, I just orders part4, any way my favorite sceen is when the Black Gardian is playing like the white Gardian and the Doctor says "for a moment I thought I was color blind"
Then he pretends to go nuts because he controls the key to time. :D

creed462
September 20th, 2005, 06:25 PM
And distroys it....

September 20th, 2005, 06:38 PM
And distroys it....After the harrowing quest to assemble the key to time, which had been dispersed across time and space.

ROMANA: What did you do?
DOCTOR: Oh, I just dispersed it across time and space.

creed462
September 20th, 2005, 06:59 PM
After the harrowing quest to assemble the key to time, which had been dispersed across time and space.

ROMANA: What did you do?
DOCTOR: Oh, I just dispersed it across time and space.
Thats the good old Doctor for ya

Dallista
September 20th, 2005, 11:54 PM
I think Resurrection of the Daleks had the highest body count ever in Doctor Who.
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. I thought Warriors of the Deep had a lot of bodies, but in Ressurection they just dropped everywhere and all the time.

BTW I read somewhere that many viewers at the time objected to the scenes where the Doctor's memories are being recorded, for being too graphic. That's when it really hit me that it's supposed to be a children's series; I actually adore that scene. It was an absolutely highlight of the series. Davison's performance was astonishing.

I largely found Tegan annoying, so I wasn't too upset when she left. Her departure did punctuate the sadness of the story.
Her constant whining did make her rather annoying. But I hadn't realized how much I'd come to consider her an important part of the TARDIS crew until she left. Poor Doctor; must be really upsetting, making so many friends and seeing them all leave again before long.

How so?
Well, I like the Fifth Doctor for his humanity, and vulnerability, and, oh, let's not forget his above-average good looks (ditto for Doc Nine) :D Apparently I won't find any of that in the Fourth (or so I'm told)? Still, it's worth a try, at least.

September 21st, 2005, 02:47 PM
Somehow, that doesn't surprise me. I thought Warriors of the Deep had a lot of bodies, but in Ressurection they just dropped everywhere and all the time.

BTW I read somewhere that many viewers at the time objected to the scenes where the Doctor's memories are being recorded, for being too graphic. That's when it really hit me that it's supposed to be a children's series; I actually adore that scene. It was an absolutely highlight of the series. Davison's performance was astonishing.I like the end of Warriors of the Deep. "There should have been another way." :)

Her constant whining did make her rather annoying. But I hadn't realized how much I'd come to consider her an important part of the TARDIS crew until she left. Poor Doctor; must be really upsetting, making so many friends and seeing them all leave again before long.

Well, I like the Fifth Doctor for his humanity, and vulnerability, and, oh, let's not forget his above-average good looks (ditto for Doc Nine) :D I'll have to take your word on that, my friend. :rolleyes:

Apparently I won't find any of that in the Fourth (or so I'm told)? Still, it's worth a try, at least.Are you saying that you never saw a Tom Baker story before? Because that's like saying, "Yeah, I've seen George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Bosnan as James Bond; but is Roger Moore or Sean Connery any good?" :D

Dallista
September 21st, 2005, 09:33 PM
I like the end of Warriors of the Deep. "There should have been another way." :)
Oh, that scene is heart-breaking. And what a horrible scene to end the serial with.
The good Doctor just can't get a break. He's quite a tragic character.

Are you saying that you never saw a Tom Baker story before?
Yup. Pretty sad, isn't it?

Because that's like saying, "Yeah, I've seen George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Bosnan as James Bond; but is Roger Moore or Sean Connery any good?" :D
*LOL* Well, it's not really my fault. Chris Eccleston's version was my first, and then a friend urged me to watch the Fifth Doctor because his personality was somewhat similar, and he was good eye-candy. :p I think I have no choice anymore, though; I must see some of the Fourth Doctor, otherwise I don't think I can call myself a proper DW fan.
Any serials in particular I should see?

flippy18
September 21st, 2005, 10:26 PM
I must see some of the Fourth Doctor, otherwise I don't think I can call myself a proper DW fan.

Haven't seen all of the Fourth Doctor stories but I did like:
Ark in Space - one of his first stories. Worth seeing if only for the bubble-wrap monster :D
Pyramids of Mars - Should appeal to most SG fans with it's Egyptian theme
Talons of Weng-Chiang - Story set in Victorian London, often considered one of the best 4th Doctor stories.

Genesis of the Daleks, Masque of Mandragora and Seeds of Doom were also enjoyable.

There's a good episode overview for all the 4th Dr stories here (http://www.physics.mun.ca/~sps/4doc.html#Rhapsody)

Easter Lily
September 21st, 2005, 11:31 PM
Ark in Space - one of his first stories. Worth seeing if only for the bubble-wrap monster :D
Talons of Weng-Chiang - Story set in Victorian London, often considered one of the best 4th Doctor stories.

Genesis of the Daleks, Masque of Mandragora and Seeds of Doom were also enjoyable.

Ditto to all of the above...
City of Death... is also another personal favourite... the first Dr Who story that I remember watching. It also features a little cameo at the end by John Cleese
Nightmare of Eden... had certain Trek resonances for me
and Logopolis

September 22nd, 2005, 12:51 PM
*LOL* Well, it's not really my fault. Chris Eccleston's version was my first, and then a friend urged me to watch the Fifth Doctor because his personality was somewhat similar, and he was good eye-candy. :p I think I have no choice anymore, though; I must see some of the Fourth Doctor, otherwise I don't think I can call myself a proper DW fan.Okay, I'll stop teasing you.

Ark in Space - one of his first stories. Worth seeing if only for the bubble-wrap monster

Ditto to all of the above...
City of Death... is also another personal favourite... the first Dr Who story that I remember watching. It also features a little cameo at the end by John Cleese
Nightmare of Eden... had certain Trek resonances for me
and LogopolisAll good suggestions.

Is it possible for you to watch the Tom Baker episodes in order?

If not, here's a rundown of my favorites.

Season 12: Genesis of the Daleks
Season 13: Pyramids of Mars, The Android Invasion, The Brain of Morbius, The Seeds of Doom
Season 14: The Deadly Assassin, The Face of Evil, The Robots of Death, The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Season 15: Horror of Fang Rock, The Sunmakers, The Invasion of Time
Season 17: Destiny of the Daleks, City of Death, The Creature from the Pit, Nightmare of Eden

I also like The Key to Time Saga (Season 16) and The E-Space Trilogy (Season 18).

Chances are, if you pick something from Season 13 or 14, you'll be pretty happy. Those are universally considered the best of Tom, if not the best of the entire series.

Rowana
September 26th, 2005, 08:07 AM
Good episodes, though I'm still a big fan of the first Baker stories, but that's mostly 'cause they have Harry Sullivan. :D I just think he's funny! But you can't really go wrong with 4th Doctor, his are especially good.

My absolute favorite is Shada and I highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on it. Even though it's reconstructed, it's still fantastic. Douglas Adams did a brilliant job on the script and the narration is good too. It still makes me sad that it was never completed. :( It would have been awesome!

Mr Prophet
September 26th, 2005, 09:00 AM
My absolute favorite is Shada and I highly recommend it for anyone who can get their hands on it. Even though it's reconstructed, it's still fantastic. Douglas Adams did a brilliant job on the script and the narration is good too. It still makes me sad that it was never completed. :( It would have been awesome!

Oddly, the BBC webcast of Shada (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/) with Paul McGann was really good, despite it being originally written for a different Doctor.

Rowana
September 26th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Oddly, the BBC webcast of Shada (http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/webcasts/shada/) with Paul McGann was really good, despite it being originally written for a different Doctor.

Yes it was. I was pleasently surprise.

September 26th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Good episodes, though I'm still a big fan of the first Baker stories, but that's mostly 'cause they have Harry Sullivan. :D I just think he's funny! But you can't really go wrong with 4th Doctor, his are especially good.Well, Harry was kinda doomed from the start. They created his character before they cast the role of the Doctor, then they ultimately concluded he wasn't a good companion for Tom's Doctor. I agreed with that, but I did think he worked well with Sarah Jane.

creed462
September 26th, 2005, 10:19 AM
I saw shada as well as a webcast it was good.

Seshat
September 26th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Are you saying that you never saw a Tom Baker story before? Because that's like saying, "Yeah, I've seen George Lazenby, Timothy Dalton, and Pierce Bosnan as James Bond; but is Roger Moore or Sean Connery any good?" :D
Too true!! :D Tom Baker was the first Doctor I saw, and I had to catch up on the rest as they were re-run on PBS. I think you always have fond memories of your first. ;)

September 30th, 2005, 03:42 PM
I can't wait for The Claws of Axos and City of Death region 1 DVDs. I always anticipate the extras, commentaries, and remastered video.

Dallista
September 30th, 2005, 11:19 PM
I've seen my first complete Fourth Doctor serial: The Deadly Assassin. I guess this is what they call a mythology episode? Very heavy on the goings-on at Gallifrey, which made for quite an interesting 1.5 hours. I read afterwards that it's the only Doctor Who serial in which he travels without a companion? I suppose it's not really DW without a companion or two tagging along, then. ;) I really liked the part in the Matrix (remembered that from... Arc of Infinity?). The good ol' doc getting to use his brain/wits to stay alive in that nightmarish virtual reality. Gotta say, though, some of those Time Lords didn't seem nearly as clever (hope it's okay to say that?).

Rowana
October 1st, 2005, 02:17 AM
Deadly Assasin is a good one, and yes it's the only one where he doesn't have a companion. It's the first one (I think) where he actually visits Gallifrey and I have to agree, the Time Lords seem pretty pathetic at that point. With all their bumblings it's hard to believe they have time travel. I really like this one because the Doctor has some great scenes, especially in the Matix. Some of the best location work in that. Enough of my rambling...good choice!

Willow'sCat
October 1st, 2005, 02:50 AM
I noticed in the last Pete Davison story here that a certain Colin Baker made an appearance.

I hadn't realised that he was in that story he looked quite different from when he appears as the Doctor, not just the hair :rolleyes: I actually think he looked older! :S He was playing a very reserved character not like he's portrayal of the Doctor. :)

Dallista
October 1st, 2005, 04:59 AM
I noticed in the last Pete Davison story here that a certain Colin Baker made an appearance.
That sounds like Arc of Infinity. I was so surprised when I saw him in that story! Apparently Colin Baker likes (liked?) to joke that he got the role of Doctor Who because he shot the incumbent. :D

October 1st, 2005, 02:24 PM
I've seen my first complete Fourth Doctor serial: The Deadly Assassin. I guess this is what they call a mythology episode? Very heavy on the goings-on at Gallifrey, which made for quite an interesting 1.5 hours. I read afterwards that it's the only Doctor Who serial in which he travels without a companion? I suppose it's not really DW without a companion or two tagging along, then. ;) I really liked the part in the Matrix (remembered that from... Arc of Infinity?). The good ol' doc getting to use his brain/wits to stay alive in that nightmarish virtual reality. Gotta say, though, some of those Time Lords didn't seem nearly as clever (hope it's okay to say that?).The Deadly Assassin got producer Philip Hinchcliffe in trouble for excessive violence. Personally, I loved that story.

Remember, most Gallifreyans live very secluded lives, even those who have graduated and become Time Lords. Most of their daily routines are mundane, political, and academic. They lack the real-world experience.

October 1st, 2005, 02:28 PM
That sounds like Arc of Infinity. I was so surprised when I saw him in that story! Apparently Colin Baker likes (liked?) to joke that he got the role of Doctor Who because he shot the incumbent. :DApparently, Gallifreyans are virtually incapable of competence unless they are thoroughly ambitious. :D

October 1st, 2005, 02:46 PM
Deadly Assasin is a good one, and yes it's the only one where he doesn't have a companion. It's the first one (I think) where he actually visits Gallifrey and I have to agree, the Time Lords seem pretty pathetic at that point.The first televised visit to Gallifrey was The War Games, where the Doctor was put on trial (for the first time) for interfering with other cultures.
With all their bumblings it's hard to believe they have time travel.Makes sense to me, actually. Think about it, the Gallifreyans must have spent a long time advancing themselves to get to the point of mastering time travel. With all their technological advances, they were virtually untouchable. After that, they led very secluded and dull lives, indulging in scientific curiousity but not really advancing their culture much. In fact, many stories, like The Deadly Assassin, depict their society in decline. They have lost so much knowledge, because they fear its power. They don't have to keep themselves sharp-witted and alert, because nothing of consequence ever really happens...except when the Doctor visits. ;)

The Shobogans (those Gallifreyans living out in the wastelands), on the other hand, are more fit, alert, and can think tactically to better defend themselves.

I suppose we would look pretty bumbling compared to a stone age builder, who had mastered the mechanics of transporting heavy materials miles distance and constructing large structures...all with stone age materials and machines. When cultures change, people adapt new skills and tend to forget the less necessary skills over time.

Rowana
October 1st, 2005, 03:27 PM
The first televised visit to Gallifrey was The War Games, where the Doctor was put on trial (for the first time) for interfering with other cultures.

Oops!:rolleyes: How could I forget that one!

October 1st, 2005, 04:35 PM
Oops!:rolleyes: How could I forget that one!*Blows whistle* I call a penalty on Rowana! You must spend five hours reviewing the tape. ;)

Resume play! *Blows whistle* :D

Seshat
October 2nd, 2005, 07:08 AM
The first televised visit to Gallifrey was The War Games, where the Doctor was put on trial (for the first time) for interfering with other cultures. How many times has the Doctor been put on trial now? :S

Rowana
October 2nd, 2005, 08:23 AM
*Blows whistle* I call a penalty on Rowana! You must spend five hours reviewing the tape. ;)

Resume play! *Blows whistle* :D

Heh. That's actually one of the ones I did bring to college with me.

And I think he's been on trial...um..4 times? I'm not completely sure about that.:S

October 2nd, 2005, 01:01 PM
How many times has the Doctor been put on trial now? :SThe Doctor faced Gallifreyan tribunals in War Games, The Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity, and Trial of a Time Lord.

War Games was an official three man tribunal, yet held in secret, later revealed as a cover-up for the real intentions of the Celestial Intervention Agency...to get the Doctor to work for them.

The Deadly Assasin was an inquisition/interrogation, involving citadel guards and the Castellan. The investigation was public knowledge, but was carried out discreetly.

Arc of Infinity was a public farce committed in secret by the High Council, condemning the Doctor to death in order to stop Omega's plan.

Trial of a Time Lord was a committee headed by an Inquisitor and prosecuted by a Valeyard, with other many other Time Lords sitting in judgment. It was a public proceeding, but the High Council withheld information from the court and was not present.

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 01:28 PM
Cheers for the Info DAP. I honestly didnt know about the war games trial being a front for the CIA.

October 2nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Cheers for the Info DAP. I honestly didnt know about the war games trial being a front for the CIA.You can easily infer that from the classic series by...

1.) The covert missions and manipulations of Jon Pertwee's and Tom Baker's Doctor.

2.) The C.I.A. involvement in the Doctor's life is cemented in The Deadly Assassin when the Castellan finds the Doctor's matrix records inaccessible due to the C.I.A. covering up his involvement (as well as Goth and the Master).

3.) In The Five Doctors, Patrick Troughton's Doctor knows of the events of The War Games, meaning what we saw in that story can not be exactly true. The Doctor remembers Jamie and Zoe leaving him which happened only moments before he supposedly stood before the tribunal, was forced to regenerate and put into exile.

4.) In The Two Doctors, Patrick Troughton's Doctor and Jamie were working for the Time Lords unofficially and had just dropped off Victoria to study graphology. Jamie hadn't heard of the Time Lords until The War Games. Victoria had never heard of them. And the Doctor was on the run from them until The War Games.

Also, when you consider...
1.) the closed door tribunal,
2.) the presence of Goth on that tribunal (who seemed to have links to the C.I.A. in The Deadly Assassin),
3.) the tampering of the Matrix in The Deadly Assassin, Arc of Infinity, and Trial of a Time Lord

It is logical to conclude the matrix records of this event were altered and the C.I.A. was involved.

Furthermore, the Doctor Who series of novels draws this same conclusion and this very month the World Game novel will be released, revealing the true post-War Game events of Patrick Troughton's Doctor. See Post #92 on this thread for more information on this upcoming novel. ;)

Metarock Sam
October 2nd, 2005, 02:28 PM
supposedly there is a second second doctor timeline in which what we saw as the trail really was a front for the cia and jamie and zoe nad thje second doctor went on various missions after the trial. Eventually the Doctor chose to leave the cia and thats when they wiped Jamie and Zoe's minds aswell as force the second doctor ont his next regeneration.

October 2nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
supposedly there is a second second doctor timeline in which what we saw as the trail really was a front for the cia and jamie and zoe nad thje second doctor went on various missions after the trial. Eventually the Doctor chose to leave the cia and thats when they wiped Jamie and Zoe's minds aswell as force the second doctor ont his next regeneration.
I think the World Game novel might clear some of that up. See post# 92 of this thread. ;)

October 7th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Just finished watching Reign of Terror, well episodes 1, 2, 3 & 6 of it. Okay, that was pretty disappointing. It seemed devoid of energy and direction. Personally, I think they could have condensed it into a 4-episode story. Looking at it objectively, I'd say it ran a bit too long...roughly six episodes too long. :rolleyes:

Oh, well, they can't all be gems.

October 12th, 2005, 10:58 AM
Name the three companions who died in the classic Doctor Who television series.
Hint: Two of them only traveled very briefly with the Doctor.

Mr Prophet
October 12th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Name the three companions who died in the classic Doctor Who television series.
Hint: Two of them only traveled very briefly with the Doctor.

Adric, Katrina and...um...Kameleon?

October 12th, 2005, 11:13 AM
Adric, Katrina and...um...Kameleon?Adric...yes.
Katarina...yes.
Kamelion...okay...if you consider him alive...he was a robot.

I was referring to Sara Kingdom...who died in The Dalek Masterplan. Due to the many places she traveled with the Doctor in that 12-part story, she is technically considered a companion.

But I can't argue against Kamelion. You see him as alive. I don't. Still I must confess that makes your answer correct! ;)

October 12th, 2005, 11:42 AM
I should probably mention Sara Kingdom lasted 9 episodes and Katarina lasted only 5.

October 12th, 2005, 11:44 AM
In which story did the Doctor appear without a companion?

Mr Prophet
October 12th, 2005, 11:52 AM
In which story did the Doctor appear without a companion?

I'm pretty sure it was a Gallifreyan one, but I'd have to look it up to get the title. That would be cheating.

October 12th, 2005, 11:56 AM
I'm pretty sure it was a Gallifreyan one, but I'd have to look it up to get the title. That would be cheating.You're definitely warm! Think "redundant title".

Mr Prophet
October 12th, 2005, 12:03 PM
You're definitely warm! Think "redundant title".

So it was The Deadly Assassin?

October 12th, 2005, 12:09 PM
So it was The Deadly Assassin?Correct!

October 12th, 2005, 12:10 PM
What was the first story to feature a new opening sequence and new title music?

October 12th, 2005, 01:32 PM
What was the name of the rogue Time Lord encountered by the Second Doctor in the classic television series?

Rowana
October 12th, 2005, 01:42 PM
What was the name of the rogue Time Lord encountered by the Second Doctor in the classic television series?

War Lord, right? I mix 'um up sometimes.

October 12th, 2005, 01:57 PM
War Lord, right? I mix 'um up sometimes.Nope, but you were close. ;)

The War Lord was the leader of War World. The War Chief was the rogue Time Lord, who provided him technology to construct his SIDRATs, which were stripped down versions of the TARDIS.

October 12th, 2005, 02:02 PM
What companions were played by two different actors over multiple stories? There were two such characters.

And by that, I don't mean body-doubles, stunt-doubles, or other temporary stand-ins. I mean those characters that were regularly portrayed by two different actors.

October 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM
What was the name of the Time Lord who joined forces with the Doctor and constructed a demat gun powered by a "great key".

Hint #1: It was a woman.

Hint #2: She had dark hair.

Hint #3: Her name begins with an "R".

October 12th, 2005, 02:19 PM
What was the name of the race of beings that almost wiped out the Daleks?

Rowana
October 12th, 2005, 02:36 PM
What companions were played by two different actors over multiple stories? There were two such characters.

I can think of one for sure: K-9. Was Kameleon the other?

What was the name of the Time Lord who joined forces with the Doctor and constructed a demat gun powered by a "great key".

Rhodan

October 12th, 2005, 02:42 PM
I can think of one for sure: K-9.Yes, K-9 was played John Leeson and David Brierley.

Was Kameleon the other?Nope. Gerald Flood played Kamelion in all his appearances.

Whereas Romana was played by both Mary Tamm and Lalla Ward.

[EDIT: I guess that one was so obvious, it was actually hidden in plain sight.]

October 12th, 2005, 02:44 PM
RhodanCorrect! You didn't fall for the similarities between Rodan, the Rani, and Romana. ;)

October 12th, 2005, 02:52 PM
The character Lytton appears in which two Doctor Who stories?

October 12th, 2005, 03:02 PM
What does U.N.I.T. stand for?

October 12th, 2005, 03:07 PM
In which story did Alastair Gordon Lethbridge-Stewart first appear?

Seshat
October 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
What does U.N.I.T. stand for?
Oooh, ooh!! One I think I know: United Nations Intelligence Taskforce

October 12th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Oooh, ooh!! One I think I know: United Nations Intelligence TaskforceCorrect!

October 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM
In what classic series adventure did the Third Doctor encounter the Cybermen?

Seshat
October 12th, 2005, 03:32 PM
In what classic series adventure did the Third Doctor encounter the Cybermen?
The Tenth Planet? That was William Hartnell's last one as the First Doctor, as he regenerates into Patrick Troughton at the very end, I think...

October 12th, 2005, 03:34 PM
The Tenth Planet? That was William Hartnell's last one as the First Doctor, as he regenerates into Patrick Troughton at the very end, I think...That is all true...but I'm looking for a story in the classic series where the Third Doctor (played by Jon Pertwee) encounters the Cybermen.

October 12th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Hmmm. Question 3 remains unanswered.

How long should I wait before posting the answers?

One day? One week?

Seshat
October 12th, 2005, 03:57 PM
The character Lytton appears in which two Doctor Who stories?
Resurrection of the Daleks
Attack of the Cybermen

(I cheated a little, as I had to look up the exact name of the second one) :o

October 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Resurrection of the Daleks
Attack of the CybermenCorrect!