PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Ancients still around

Nikadiemus
July 3rd, 2004, 11:43 AM
I had this great idea. I think it would be a great idea if there was one world where the Ancients were still around. Just one planet, and they are just lying low. They accepted their fate, and are just living their lives.

Here is my idea. There is this guy (he's an Ancient in human form, sort of like a maintenance man look), and his job is to go from one stargate to another and update the DHDs, do maintenance, whatever. The Nox, the Tollen, and the Asgard all know him well. He knows everything about every gate. He also knows which ones are useable, friendly, protected by forcefields, whatever. He normally throws this device through, like a micro-MALP, to let him know what is on the other side.

Anyway, for years, he has been trying to get to Earth, but he knows that there is an irus protecting it. So he finds an SG team, and watches them from a distance. When they are about to leave, he follows them to the gate, and he waits until they leave. Then just before the wormhole closes, he just walks up to it and steps through.

He arrives on the other side, and starts to examine the gate. Everyone is freaking out, pointing weapons at him, but he just continues to work on the gate. Soon he baffled to see that there is no DHD in this gateroom.

The SGC questions him, and he tells them of the Ancients long in hiding. He is friendly, and after learning of the destruction of Anubis, he offers to help them update their Stargate network map, and even goes on a trip to get the components needed to fix their DHD (the one that exploded when their retrieved Teal'c from the buffer memory). He also tells Amanda Carter what ALL the electrical codes mean that the DHD provides.

The conflict of the story is that Anubis and Baal has been looking for this man. He is the only Ancient that leaves the Ancients hiding place, and he is the only one who knows the Stargate network so intimately. Ball tries to capture the man during his expedition to retrive the DHD parts for the SGC, but in the end, the SGC actually get their goodies (for once, and not having their goodies vanish to satisfy some plot line), and the man leaves and goes back home.

Anyone like that idea?

aAnubiSs
July 3rd, 2004, 01:27 PM
Amanda Carter?=))))))))

Anubis
July 3rd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Strange idea. Althoug I like the though of seeing a planet with them on

Teal'c
July 3rd, 2004, 02:47 PM
Tollan? The dead Tollan? The dead Tollan not part of the Four Races? :P

And since the gate network maintains itself automatically (Avenger 2.0) your idea is unfortunately debunked :P

Lostinmyownvoid
July 3rd, 2004, 09:11 PM
Also you mention the anceints in hiding there are no anceints in hiding ALL the either died or ascended(To the best of my knowledge this has been said in the offical canon). To me it looks like "Nikadiemus" came up with simple "mary-sue" fanficition idea and tried to pass it off as good idea for an episode.

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Quite right, the Tollan are destroyed and blown away, or at least we are certain they are.

The gate networks autmatically confiqure themselves. Like if there's a problem like in Avenger they usually sort themselves out

PYRO
July 4th, 2004, 08:04 AM
BTW Off topic, I suppose the .....the....Al'kesh that Jack took is siting somewhere in Area 51..? I think it is (the bomber that makes the BIG explosians)

shockwave
July 4th, 2004, 08:31 AM
the hyperdrive of the Al kesh is currently used by Prometheus

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 09:13 AM
Quite right. So it's probably not functional properly but will still fly...slower

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 02:03 PM
It would be cool if the Tollan came abck. Just like Nariam and a hand full of rebels. They contact the Tokra and they head to the beta site, and aid in the help of earth or something. They were good allies.

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 02:12 PM
They were good allies.
When were the Tollan ever good allies? :D

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 02:23 PM
They weren't an enemy, and thats all that mattered. Although the other parts of the tollan government didn't like the earthians, Nariam, and that old looking chick/judge did. Also, they did give us the blueprints to the ion cannons (which we should have made some of them by now). Not to mention they came to us when Skarra was in danger of being that Goa'uld forever.

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 02:41 PM
They weren't an enemy, and thats all that mattered.
The last time we saw them, they were plotting against us. Granted, it was against their will, but...

Also, they did give us the blueprints to the ion cannons (which we should have made some of them by now).
Did they? I thought they were just planning on giving us the actual cannons. Either way, they only did it because they knew the cannons were useless against Anubis' new shields.

Not to mention they came to us when Skarra was in danger of being that Goa'uld forever.
By Skaara's request, IIRC.

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM
Well if your planet and its people were about to get completely eradicated, you think you would just say no? I think they (Tollan) had something up their sleeves to counter the effects of the will of the Goa'ulds.

Also, they gave us the entire blueprints. I think its just that we didn't have the resources to build the cannons. I think the SGC still has them.

You're probably right about Skarrra.

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 03:40 PM
Well if your planet and its people were about to get completely eradicated, you think you would just say no?
Probably not, I'm just saying they never really gave us anything without having an ulterior motive for doing so.

I think they (Tollan) had something up their sleeves to counter the effects of the will of the Goa'ulds.
Certainly didn't look like it...

Also, they gave us the entire blueprints.
If you say so. It's been a while since I watched Between Two Fires and I might have forgotten/missed that part.

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 04:27 PM
Well sam shows Hammond the Blueprints in the conference room. I also remebered why they don't have any cannons on Earth. Sam said that they were to complex for humans to make, and that backwards engineering one would take way to long. She said that only the tollan could make them.

Also, if the tollan could build their own gate, I think they could have had something up their sleeve. Like forcing the wormhole to open up somewhere else, like maybe on the orbiting mothership?

Mio
July 4th, 2004, 04:42 PM
Nah, having a wormhole without a gate is just silly...and I'm sure it could be shot down with just a few sentances of technobabble.

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
I'm not talking about manifesting a wormhole out of thin air. I mean if they had a stargate on the ship. Maybe they could force the wormhole through the ring transports, both of them being the same technology almost.

Teal'c
July 4th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Sam said that there was no way they could backward engineer the Ion Cannons, they were too advanced. That's why they went back and asked for thirty-odd more :P

DownFallAngel
July 4th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Didn't they ask for 36 total or something?

Positively Kanyon
July 4th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Sounds like an idea I had for a fanfic a small while back.

Visit http://www.stargatearmada.cjb.net if you want more information. The character I had envisioned for this story is similar to your "maintenance man" but his role was more of an accidental thing and how he comes to know so much about the gate system... I know what happens, but if I told you then that would ruin the surprise of the story. If you want any hints... Go watch "Red Sky" very carefully!

uknesvuinng
July 4th, 2004, 09:23 PM
Sounds like an idea I had for a fanfic a small while back.

Visit http://www.stargatearmada.cjb.net if you want more information. The character I had envisioned for this story is similar to your "maintenance man" but his role was more of an accidental thing and how he comes to know so much about the gate system... I know what happens, but if I told you then that would ruin the surprise of the story. If you want any hints... Go watch "Red Sky" very carefully!

The idea reminds me of a short humorous fanfic I read a while back. The 9th cheveron was used by guy that travelled through the gates in a repair van and had the last name O'neill. It definately wasn't an episode-worthy fanfic, but I seem to recall it making me laugh.

Nikadiemus
July 4th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Ok, ok, I have returned.

#1) I apologize for the "Amanda Carter" mistake, I was typing real fast. Samantha Carter / Amanda Tapping.

#2) I meant to say that the maintence Ancient said knew the Tollan, before they "bought the farm". He does know the Asgard and the Nox. I was also going to mention that he had helped the Asgard move their homeworld and their gate. I forgot to say that before, but thats a mute point since season 8 is almost out now. (LETS NOT RIP ON THAT.)

#3) WE ARE WAY OFF THE TOPIC!

#4) As for the cannons, I think the SGC would have a better chance of making the space defense net that Daniel saw in his dream with the Harsisus (spell?) child.

#5) Did anyone like my idea?

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Generally, posts get carried way off topic but they can slowly go back...

g.o.d
July 5th, 2004, 07:36 AM
I'm sure you all know Starcraft.I think it's much better idea that this mechanic:-)Dark Templars :D

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 07:38 AM
Not sure about a better idea

Aadizookaan
July 6th, 2004, 10:51 PM
Didn't they ask for 36 total or something?
The conversation asking for the precise number of Tollan Ion Cannons went something like this:

Travell: How many do you require?
Jack: (sheepishly) 30...
Daniel: (correcting Jack) 8...
Jack and Daniel: 38
Daniel: Total

DeLancey
July 8th, 2004, 10:55 PM
I kinda like the pitch myself, I could see something similar been done as a 'lighter' episode kinda like Window of Opportunity..
As for the other stuff;
- The SGC does seem to have plans for the Ion Cannons but the tech [at that stage] was way ahead of their understanding. That said, they now have a [mostly] functional Hyperspace generator design so those things might not be that far off.

- *Season 7 finale spoiler*-> We have an Ancient defense system on Earth so we may not need them anyway.

- I hope some of the Tollan survived and I can think of one or two possibilities

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:18 PM
If they did get them, I wonder what the public would have done when they see them!

Kaloo
July 9th, 2004, 01:32 PM
They are cloakable

Anubis
July 9th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Oh yes, I forgot about that

po134
July 9th, 2004, 03:16 PM
ok foreget the idea of update the DHD and replace it with "burry stargate" wich are in a world in destruction for example or just repair the DHD wich are destroyed ... but I'm sure it won't happen cause it's a too crazy idea and the ancient have decide to "quit this existence plan" then they no longer interfer with the mortal ! :cool:

BringerOfLight
July 9th, 2004, 03:26 PM
I think the idea that the Ancients are going to make an appearance has been soundly debunked. The Ancients are certainly not in the Milky Way and their presence in the Pegasus galaxy was destroyed by the Wraiths.

override367
July 9th, 2004, 07:14 PM
Well we don't know for sure that all the tolan were wiped out, we just have a pretty good idea.

It is possible Anubis captured some as slaves with the intent of reading their minds with his spikey-ball thing and never got around to it, their could conceivably be at least a few left in some ghoul'd prison somewhere (I mean, it would be downright stupid to not take at least a few of them alive with what they know)

I just want a few tolan to show up because they were so smug and annoying that some humility would suit them :)

They also weren't very wise for being so smart, I mean... couldn't they have used those phasing bomb things against Anubis' ship?

Fifth
July 9th, 2004, 07:26 PM
What about the person that ascended and then deascended because he was in love with Carter? I guess he really isn't a human ancient, but the point is, what is the difference between a real ancient and a non-ascended ancient?

Jarnin
July 10th, 2004, 12:14 AM
What about the person that ascended and then deascended because he was in love with Carter? I guess he really isn't a human ancient, but the point is, what is the difference between a real ancient and a non-ascended ancient?

The "real ancients" would be the ancient humans that built the stargates and colonized our galaxy and others. That was what they did. They'd travel from galaxy to galaxy, increasing their knowledge and their civilization, building stargates as they went. Ayiana (Frozen) was one of these ancients.
Apparently they were afflicted by some sort of "plague" (possibly they Wraith, possibly not), which was going to wipe them all out. So most died out, and some learned how to become ascended beings. Ayiana (Frozen) was one of these ancients (minus the learning to ascend part).

As for one of these beings being alive and well now, it's possible but probably not in any of the galaxies we're familiar with in the show. The idea is that the ancients moved to a galaxy, take a few dozen million years building stargates and colonies, and then each colony would build a city-ship and travel to a new galaxy and start over again.
If 100,000 ancients travel on a city-ship, and it takes, say, 100 years to double their population (they're in no hurry), they'd have enough people to fill 10 city-ships in 1000 years. 100 ships in 10,000 years. 1000 ships in 100,000 years, 10,000 ships in 1 million years.
Our galaxy belongs to a group of galaxies known as the Local Group (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_Group). The Local Group includes 30+ galaxies, is roughly 10 million light years across, and is itself part of a larger object known as the Virgo Supercluster (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgo_Supercluster). The Virgo Supercluster includes 100+ galactic groups and clusters, which means it could include 3,000-10,000 galaxies.
If the Ancients (as they were) are still around, you'll find them out there somewhere :)

The "ascended ancients" would be the ancients that learned how to ascend to a "higher plane of existance".
There seems to be two factions of ascended beings; those that follow the rules, and those that don't. Oma Desala is a rogue ascended being, apparently for showing lesser beings how to ascend. Orlan (Ascension) was banished for teaching a lesser race how to make weapons, but was later allowed to rejoin "the others".
We haven't actually met an ascended being that wasn't a rogue, and we probably never will, since they have rules about that. Every being that is ascended by Oma Desala is considered rogue, so they never get to meet any of "the others".

Hope that helps :)

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 12:22 AM
Good explantion and theory about them

g.o.d
July 10th, 2004, 03:58 AM
wow, excelent theory!

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 04:44 AM
I agree. That is one of the best I have read. Been good for a fanfic

g.o.d
July 10th, 2004, 08:31 AM
wow, wikipedia.It's an excellent site:-)

Ancient
July 10th, 2004, 08:47 AM
They are cloakable

they arent cloakable the nox jsut used their power to hide things to hide them form the ha'tak inorbit, when they were painted by the go'uald during triad

Anubis
July 10th, 2004, 09:52 AM
I though that too but wasn't certain. They wave their hand and hide something! So cool

Ancient 1
August 11th, 2004, 12:56 PM
Quite right, the Tollan are destroyed and blown away, or at least we are certain they are.

The gate networks autmatically confiqure themselves. Like if there's a problem like in Avenger they usually sort themselves out
Maybe you still need someone to go around every 5 million years or so to account for stellar drift....or do the DHDs do that?