Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, What Is Star Trek

http://www.syfyportal.com/features.php?id=146

So, what is Star Trek? I can sum it up in a single word: Exploration.

That's right. Exploration. But not the kind of exploration you're thinking. It's not the planet of the week. It's not some crazy bumpy-head aliens. It's the exploration within ourselves. It's exploring who we are, what makes us unique, what is our true potential.

Star Trek has gotten lost. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga for some reason forgot what true Star Trek was, and went simply with a glorification of the elements ... the ship, the captain, hell, even the Vulcan. You want to know why Star Trek got stale? Because while it tried to explore other planets and other cultures, it stopped it's main exploration: the exploration of ourselves.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

i strongly agree!
    Thanks!
    Jordan

my page
    My LJ
    From now on, our name will be 'Tenac'.

Comment

I definity agree
      sigpic

Comment

That's so true. The thing about TNG is that even while the cynic in me couldn't buy into the near perfection the human race had acheived and their overall focus being solely a quest for knowledge, it was admirable and inspiring. It definitely made me wonder about future possibilities and what humans could trul accomplish if they just stopped being so selfish. It dealt with and critisized many current issues in our society in a way most people could handle.

Although I'm not a huge fan of DS9 those qualities were still a part of that series. I loved Voyager but it kind of dipped in and out in regards to maintaining those same ideas, but given the premise I wasn't surprised by that. Enterprise however, seemed to be completely lost. I never, for a moment wanted to be a part of their world or share their experiences.

When you simplify the problem in such a way it's not hard to understand why Enterprise failed. But at the same time, there's hope. If they can get back to that, the franchise can be rescued.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshAngel
          When you simplify the problem in such a way it's not hard to understand why Enterprise failed. But at the same time, there's hope. If they can get back to that, the franchise can be rescued.
          I agree ST was about the future and ENT was never far enough in the future

ST was never about first contacts it was about the good that could come when a relationship had been built up and was meant to remind of what good we can do on Earth

It was a show that transcended gender issues, race and ignorance and that was part of the lure for me
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

I absolutely agree.
            sigpic

Comment

Man, you don't even want to know what I think of Mssrs. Berman & Braga. They destroyed the entire franchise with their horrible characterization, clearly don't care at all about the show, and then have the audacity to claim that they've lost the 'fan base'?? FYI: they lost that all by themselves.

Well, I guess you got my earful about B&B. But I think they are hypocrites who never cared about the spirit of the franchise, and they write terrible scripts!

[/rant]

~Sarah

(The aforementioned accusations are merely the tip of the iceberg. I could say much more, but I will refrain for the health of the forum.)
              Call me Sarah . . .
              • Anti-plaid (pro P.L.A.I.D. )
              • Songwriter, screencapper, canon shipper, and fan of minor characters
              • Trek forever!

Comment

Originally posted by startrekempress
                Man, you don't even want to know what I think of Mssrs. Berman & Braga. They destroyed the entire franchise with their horrible characterization, clearly don't care at all about the show, and then have the audacity to claim that they've lost the 'fan base'?? FYI: they lost that all by themselves.

Well, I guess you got my earful about B&B. But I think they are hypocrites who never cared about the spirit of the franchise, and they write terrible scripts!

[/rant]

~Sarah

(The aforementioned accusations are merely the tip of the iceberg. I could say much more, but I will refrain for the health of the forum.)
                i totally agree with the post above i hate them for killing what was on
                For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Working...
                X