Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Entertainment Weekly review of season 8 premiere!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entertainment Weekly review of season 8 premiere!

First, on page 70, there is a full page ad for the Get in the Gate sweepstakes. It shows the gate, underwater, little fishies swimming through, and distant shot of the city through the game, and the usual text about the contest at

http://stargate.scifi.com/

And, perhaps the most honest review of Stargate I have ever seen

page 89

"Season Premiere
    9-11pm
    Stargate SG-1
    No matter what I write about this show, it's going to end up on about 38 SG-1 message boards with people cursing my name for not saying enough nice things about their favorite program. Which I suppose is just what I get for being a Farscape fan."

SG1_Spoilme
    Stargate SG1 & Stargate Atlantis News & Spoiler group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sg1_spoilme/

So I am assuming he/she didnt like it. Or she is just lazy, and should get fired for not working for her paycheck.
    "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

I never really started watching Farscape, but what was so good about it, and what things do u think they like about Farscape that makes it better SG? I've always wondered...
      Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by petzke_42
        So I am assuming he/she didnt like it. Or she is just lazy, and should get fired for not working for her paycheck.
        Nah, I've seen this before. My local TV critic refused to review the first Trek movie because he didn't want to receive hate mail from rabid fans. I suspect critics today are the same way; sci-fi fans are some of the most obsessive fans out there = when it comes to writing hate mail - and the guy is probably right. Any critic who says they like Farscape is invariably flamed by SG1 fans

Comment

Yah, haha, i'm not sure about the critics liking Farscape and not liking SG1 as much bit, cause yah, never really cared and read much of it, haha... But i absolutely agree that the sci-fi fans are the most obsessive, haha, he-llo look at the Angel fans who tried to get the show to continue, although it was big, it didn't work since the WB didn't like the show, haha...
          Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

The creator said on SCIFI Wire, that he wanted to do a miniseries to finish up the show. Its like in the works or something. ANGEL was alot better than buffy in my opinion. Wednesday day was 8pm: StarTrek, and then 9pm: ANGEL.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

This has been covered on another thread, so I won't wax rhapsodic, but I'm not sure it's really true that Gaters flame Scapers, do you?
              Loads of us overlap, for one thing.

I think there's a certain segment of the sci-fi fan community (and I'm buggered if I know who they are...) that likes the *idea* of a fan war. But there just isn't one, and no amount of talking about it will create one.

About this silly "review", though--when I read it, I thought, "well, that's a good way to annoy the people you say are going to be annoyed"
              I know he's going for humor, but why list it as something to watch, but then not say why? If a reader were honestly interested in knowing whether or not to watch, his review provides no information at all. And that has nothing to do with Farscape.

Besides, there've been plenty of mixed reviews, and while the fans will naturally disagree with the criticisms, we're usually really excited to see the show talked about AT ALL. I, personally, haven't seen critics getting "flamed"--

But did you see his "Ocean's 11" "review"? It's about how Don Cheadle does an accent--not about whether or not it's worth watching.

So, he goes for a semblance of wit over reasonable commentary. His choice. He's witty on occasion. (That's as close to a flame as I'll allow myself ...

Maybe you're right, and maybe he's right--I haven't been involved with every fan community online, so I could be wrong--but the stereotype he presents just hasn't been my experience.
              "Frankly, we're not surprised when she starts pulling large bombs from skin-tight catsuits..."
              "Not only can Josette Simon really, really act, she gets the show's best introduction - she rescues Avon, announces he's the most beautiful man she's ever seen, then explains the only other man she's seen is her father, whose surname is, blissfully, Mellonby."
              "This is a future where the women are beautiful, the men are ugly, and the only drink is creme de menthe."
              --BBC CultTV's web review of Blake's 7 season 3 DVD (21.06.05)

Comment

I love both Farscape and SG1 - I find Farscape to be more consistent and (dare i say it) have more interesting characters, however there are way more SG1 episodes so its only right that given the amount of material there will be more holes to pick in SG1.
                Farscape is certianly very quirky and offbeat (i guess downright weird to some) which makes it less accessable i suppose, but stick with it and it has the same addictive qualitys as sg1

Having said all that I do find SG1, on the whole to be slightly more entertaining which is what counts.

Comment

Working...
                X