This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you can't fight what you can't see

Firing weapons while cloaked, this may be the key to victory, if try can find out how to do this with their ships, Fire there weapons circle around and fire again(they have to keep moving because I think their position will be revealed when firing because the wraith will see where the projectiles are coming from). The PJ’s have this ability but I’m not sure if they can fire while cloaked

PJs can fire when cloaked as seen in rising.
    Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
    Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
    - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
    - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

Ignoring for a sec or two that to be genuinely cloaked you'd also be unable to see anything out yourself either.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Spoiler:

Maybe we could rig a PJ to the shields of the Daedelus to cloak it like they did with Atlantis in "Seige 3". An invisible Daedalus with all its weapons would be pretty swish....................but I'm sure Hermiod would have some choice words to say about it!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
          Ignoring for a sec or two that to be genuinely cloaked you'd also be unable to see anything out yourself either.
          Care to expound further on that statement, please?
          On fighting:
          Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
          Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
            It's quite simply, a realistic cloak could't make you invisible without also rendering you unable to see. Light has to interact with your eyeball for you to see and a cloak preents this. The same think goes from sensors. To prevent sensor beams bouncing back to origin, you would have to be unable to pick up your own sensor rays.

This is of course ignored in most Sci-fi.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Lida
              Certainly:

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

I always liked how th Invisible Man invisibility handled that. The Quicksilver not only bent visible light around Fawkes, making him invisible to the eye, but it also allowed him to see in the higher frequencies of light that didn't get bent around him.

-IMF
                "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

Originally posted by IMForeman
                  I always liked how th Invisible Man invisibility handled that. The Quicksilver not only bent visible light around Fawkes, making him invisible to the eye, but it also allowed him to see in the higher frequencies of light that didn't get bent around him.

-IMF
                  All frequencies of EM follow the same path through spacetime, bend one and you bend them all.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

All frequencies of EM follow the same path through spacetime, bend one and you bend them all.
                    I don't think so. As I understand it, the frequency and wavelength of EM radiation are very germaine to how much or how little they are refracted by a given material. The way visible light is effected by water is very different, for instance, than Infra red, or gamma rays, or radio waves, or microwaves. As Quicksilver is meant to be a refractory substance, it's not inconceivable that it would effect different types of EM radiation differently, allowing partial transmission of some frequencies.

It should be noted that he didn't exactly see well when Quicksilvered. He lacked color perception, for instance.

-IMF
                    "There's not a little boy born who wouldn't tear the world apart to save his mummy... and this little boy can." --The Doctor.
                    "The plastic tips at the ends of shoelaces are called Aglets. Their true purpose is sinister."--The Question.
                    BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I don't think so. As I understand it, the frequency and wavelength of EM radiation are very germaine to how much or how little they are refracted by a given material. The way visible light is effected by water is very different, for instance, than Infra red, or gamma rays, or radio waves, or microwaves. As Quicksilver is meant to be a refractory substance, it's not inconceivable that it would effect different types of EM radiation differently, allowing partial transmission of some frequencies.

It should be noted that he didn't exactly see well when Quicksilvered. He lacked color perception, for instance.

-IMF
                      Blah blah yeah you're right in so much as that the refractive properties of a wave are related to its own wavelength, but the difference between infra red and ultra violet is so slim that you bend one you bend 'em all. Not to mention that the mere act of bending them at all means that there's no other path through spacetime for any light to take regardless of wavelength.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Blah blah yeah you're right in so much as that the refractive properties of a wave are related to its own wavelength, but the difference between infra red and ultra violet is so slim that you bend one you bend 'em all. Not to mention that the mere act of bending them at all means that there's no other path through spacetime for any light to take regardless of wavelength.
                        Huh? I'm not following you. What does "paths through spacetime" have to do with refraction?

Anyway... This is a VERY interesting article about practical cloaking in development at the University of Pennsylvania. I remember seeing this earlier this year, and I went and looked it up again. It still needs work, but it's very cool.

-IMF
                        BAD WOLF!!!

Comment

I just thought the ancient ship cloak worked just like our current stealth technology, by simply absorbing incoming waves and there are no sharp edges so the waves don’t detect an object , only they had some micro cam which transmitted an image on both sides so you see what's on the other side but in reality you look at a video image

The last time I checked the stealth bombers of today can fire while in stealth. So there should be no problem implanting the micro cams

It will work like that, kind of, I may be wrong about the stealth tech of today but WHO REALLY KNOWS how it works, everything is all hush hush , maybe a little is public but I think most things are still classified

Comment

Eh, It is TV. There is such thing as magic...

As for modern cloaking, I do find it very interesting, although I don't find that having tiny cameras broadcast their image to the other side of the cloak seems too practical. Damage one camera, and the cloak is detectable.
                            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
                            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
                            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
                            LANDRY
                            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
                            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
                            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
                            Mmm... Green...

Comment

Huh? I'm not following you. What does "paths through spacetime" have to do with refraction?
                              When light is refracted, its path changes. You follow?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Working...
                              X