PDA

View Full Version : The Gates possible spoiler

LordHart
August 28th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Okay now, I've just had enough time to get through the first episode. I'm pretty sure you've been asked this before, but when dialling back to Horizon... how do they know which gate they're going to go through?

For instance, if the Valiant goes through the big Stargate to another gate... when they dial back, how do they know that they aren't activating the smaller gate, to have the Valiant get stuck or something in the gate... and vice-versa with them wanting to activate the small gate, only to come through the gate into space? It can't be that only small gates activate small gates, and big ones activate big ones, because the first episode has them activating the big gate with a small gate.

Erik Pasternak
August 28th, 2005, 03:30 PM
The spacegate and the stargate in Horizon have slightly differing addresses.

Alex Rubit
August 28th, 2005, 03:31 PM
Okay now, I've just had enough time to get through the first episode. I'm pretty sure you've been asked this before, but when dialling back to Horizon... how do they know which gate they're going to go through?

For instance, if the Valiant goes through the big Stargate to another gate... when they dial back, how do they know that they aren't activating the smaller gate, to have the Valiant get stuck or something in the gate... and vice-versa with them wanting to activate the small gate, only to come through the gate into space? It can't be that only small gates activate small gates, and big ones activate big ones, because the first episode has them activating the big gate with a small gate.

That's a good question, and the answer is actually quite simple. The Spacegate has a different gate address than the regular Horizon gate. The addresses are similiar, but different. Both the large gates as well as the regular gates are part of the same network; so you can dial a Spacegate from a regular gate, and vice versa.

Erik Pasternak
August 28th, 2005, 06:08 PM
That's a good question, and the answer is actually quite simple. The Spacegate has a different gate address than the regular Horizon gate. The addresses are similiar, but different. Both the large gates as well as the regular gates are part of the same network; so you can dial a Spacegate from a regular gate, and vice versa.
Ha. I beat you. :P

Alex Rubit
August 28th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Ha. I beat you. :P

Hey. I didn't notice that before. That's truly shocking.

Elite Anubis Guard
August 29th, 2005, 03:14 AM
Hmm, you'd have thought the ancients would have had a safety to stop someone dialling a big gate and walking through!

lionel_pendergast_rocks
August 29th, 2005, 07:52 AM
yeah, uh exactly how do they dial the big gates? onboard dialing comp?

Erik Pasternak
August 29th, 2005, 08:43 AM
yeah, uh exactly how do they dial the big gates? onboard dialing comp?
A panel was found with the spacegate, and later installed in the Valiant. The Vorians have reproduced them, and those have been placed in the gliders.

andrelage
August 29th, 2005, 01:54 PM
but if the gates are close to each other as in the scripts mention that the big gate orbits the horizon station then surely both gates would have the same gate address!

Alex Rubit
August 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
but if the gates are close to each other as in the scripts mention that the big gate orbits the horizon station then surely both gates would have the same gate address!

They do have very similar addresses, since they both were located on the Vorian homeworld, which thus far has been the only planet to have both "types" of gates on it.

Basically the Ancients made sure they'd have different addresses - even though they're located that closely to each other - to allow someone to chose which of the gates they're dialing.

Alex Rubit
August 29th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Hmm, you'd have thought the ancients would have had a safety to stop someone dialling a big gate and walking through!

It's not any different from the Atlantis gate network, where I don't believe you can tell if you've dialled a gate in space or a gate on a planet until a MALP has been sent through.

But either way I wouldn't step through a gate without having an idea of what to expect on the other side. ;)

LordHart
August 29th, 2005, 02:54 PM
But either way I wouldn't step through a gate without having an idea of what to expect on the other side. ;)
But that'd be fun. Stepping through the Stargate thinking you're going to be facing a legion of Jaffa, to find out you're going to be facing a harem of beautiful naked women... or both! :eek:

lionel_pendergast_rocks
August 29th, 2005, 05:04 PM
i think he means space or planet. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
August 30th, 2005, 12:49 AM
It's not any different from the Atlantis gate network, where I don't believe you can tell if you've dialled a gate in space or a gate on a planet until a MALP has been sent through.

Ye but then again that was just one type of Gate. So far as we know, these Spacegates where gates built specifically for Space. Also I don't remember this stuff being said in the scripts? Is it gonna be written into "The Connection"?

Erik Pasternak
August 30th, 2005, 07:27 AM
Ye but then again that was just one type of Gate. So far as we know, these Spacegates where gates built specifically for Space. Also I don't remember this stuff being said in the scripts? Is it gonna be written into "The Connection"?
The problem in "The Connection" has nothing to do with the spacegate. As to the solution, well that's either a different story or not. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
August 30th, 2005, 07:32 AM
I meant the stuff regarding the panel for the spacegate....for that matter, does horizon have an actual DHD, I cant remember.

Alex Rubit
August 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM
I meant the stuff regarding the panel for the spacegate....for that matter, does horizon have an actual DHD, I cant remember.

The Spacegate control panel on the Valiant was first seen "Awakening" as they dial up the gate. Horizon doesn't have a DHD; the gates are controlled from the computer in the control room (very much like at the SGC).

Elite Anubis Guard
August 30th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Hmm, didn't they find one on the Vorian homeworld? Would be interestin to see em need a DHD!

Alex Rubit
August 30th, 2005, 08:47 AM
Hmm, didn't they find one on the Vorian homeworld? Would be interestin to see em need a DHD!

It's very possible that the Vorians did find a DHD with the gate. However, they didn't use it when first dialling their Stargate (most likely they didn't know what it was).

lionel_pendergast_rocks
August 30th, 2005, 01:41 PM
which kind of realates them to us, again.

SG_Gundam
September 2nd, 2005, 06:52 PM
W00t!! First post here in a LONG LONG time.

Thats weird that I've never realized that Horizon never uses a DHD. Cuz I thought they always did. Guess I wasn't paying much attention. Alex, you need an episode that either reveals the whereabouts of the DHD or brings it to Horizon. That would defenetly be an awsome story bonus. :D

Alex Rubit
September 2nd, 2005, 07:21 PM
W00t!! First post here in a LONG LONG time.

Thats weird that I've never realized that Horizon never uses a DHD. Cuz I thought they always did. Guess I wasn't paying much attention. Alex, you need an episode that either reveals the whereabouts of the DHD or brings it to Horizon. That would defenetly be an awsome story bonus. :D

Hey, SG_Gundam! Nice to see you back here as well.

There's no DHD on Horizon, but plenty of them on the other planets of course. An episode that reveals where the Horizon/Vorian DHD is is something that I'm sure will happen eventually. It's only been one season so far. We're just getting started. ;)

SG_Gundam
September 2nd, 2005, 07:57 PM
Thanks. Do you have it moved to Horizon or does it stay where it is??

Alex Rubit
September 2nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Thanks. Do you have it moved to Horizon or does it stay where it is??

Hm. First we'll need to reveal where it is. ;)

Elite Anubis Guard
September 3rd, 2005, 02:18 AM
On the Vorian homeworld? In the cargo bay of Horizon? In Christines toilet?!!!

Alex Rubit
September 3rd, 2005, 11:27 AM
On the Vorian homeworld? In the cargo bay of Horizon? In Christines toilet?!!!

It's in my garage. But I haven't been using it for some time now, so maybe I'll take it back to Horizon the next time I get there.

Elite Anubis Guard
September 3rd, 2005, 01:19 PM
Totally off topic but....you changed your name? And Erik?

Erik Pasternak
September 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
Totally off topic but....you changed your name? And Erik?
Yeah, Alex and I both changed our usernames here in anticipation of this. :)

Elite Anubis Guard
September 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Didnt think you could.....http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/wraith/wraith30.gif

Erik Pasternak
September 3rd, 2005, 02:27 PM
Didnt think you could.....http://www.thescifiworld.net/img/smilies/stargate/wraith/wraith30.gif
You can't...Darren can. :)