This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stargate air pressure in space

me and my friend hungrytrash were wondering wat happens when a stargate in space opens up rite like does air go out or when u go back in does air go in?
    wat u people think
    sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

There is no air in space - space is a vacuum

I dont think that air travels thorugh the gate either
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Carter (Watergate)
      My research indicates that the gate actually has the ability to use density molecular structure and the force being exerted on the event horizon, to determine whether something’s actually trying to pass through.
      There ya go.

Comment

There was a similar discussion after the episode of sg1 called watergate aired. Why didn't the water flow trough the gate? The writes said that the gate can tell when something actually wants to travel through it, so going throught the gate requires some conscious efort, or some help from a consciousness.
        Otherwise it would have ben like an airlock with air flowing from atlantis base into the vacume of space (if the wormhole was going in the right direction that is.)
        Hope that helps.
        Andy "Chores!?! What are we, Amish?"
        Charlene Spencer "He's gotten so precocious."
        Citizen Joe

Comment

o i see thanx
          sooner or later the day comes when you cant hide from the things that youv'e done anymore-BSG adama

Comment

Although if air can't go through the gate, then when the Puddle Jumper goes through they should come out the other side with no air in it. But that's probably not taking into account a lot of things like Anchient tech and such.
            You go ahead, I'll be right behind you (In an F-302)
            And now for a completely unconnected series of random smilies:

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
              Although if air can't go through the gate, then when the Puddle Jumper goes through they should come out the other side with no air in it. But that's probably not taking into account a lot of things like Anchient tech and such.
              The gate is also designed to trasmit matter in discreet units (38 Minutes), so the Jumper and its contents are considered a single object according to the Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by Indum'kra
                You mean when I fly a Boeing airplane at 15,000 meters above the ground, the plane should have very little air in it and I should die because of the low air pressure?
                "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

This reminds me of the black hole ep, I think its becuase space alone dont have enuff power to pull air through the gate.
                  But in the black hole ep, the black hole added the power needed to pull air through the gate. So there for air can go through the gate as long as it has more power to pull it through.

Never forget the power of words, and how it can affect someone's life.
                  Always remember there's another person on the other side of the computer.

Comment

Originally posted by charger
                    This reminds me of the black hole ep, I think its becuase space alone dont have enuff power to pull air through the gate.
                    But in the black hole ep, the black hole added the power needed to pull air through the gate. So there for air can go through the gate as long as it has more power to pull it through.
                    That makes sense. A black hole uses gravitational forces (though gravity translating through a wormhole without disturbing its structure is a bit odd). The force that sends air into a vacuum is air pressure. Perhaps the air is somehow repelled from the event horizon, preventing normal air pressure from pushing it through.

Comment

or jus tmaybe the gate is programmed to just not let air, water and similiar matter pass by themselfs. Instead those matters have to be directly attached, or be inside other matter that is classified as transportable, like inside your lungs.

Comment

You know I think that a worm hole can go both ways.
                        For exp: say a black hole opens(its the same thing as a worm hole, Gets you from point A to point B)well whats to say a ship gets sucked into it, whats to stop it from using all its power to fly out? See stargate tells use you can only go 1 way through a worm hole.

I pray we never try to establish a real worm hole, becuase the gate has the "water" to stop it from sucking everything into it. We will most likely use something like a plate or something, well whats to say it dont have enuff power to pull it through. Then being it will all be new to us we might not know how to stop it...

back on topic:
                        air can go tho aslong as it has more power :*Wink*:

Never forget the power of words, and how it can affect someone's life.
                        Always remember there's another person on the other side of the computer.

Comment

Umm, no, a black hole is not the same thing as a wormhole.

A wormhole connects two regions of space together in a way that the connection is shorter then the distance of the regions.

A blackhole is a singularity, which means all mass in the object which formed the black hole is concentrated in a single point with the size of absolut null.
                          Around the blackhole the even horizon is located, which is sometime smistaken as the size of the BH, however, a BH does not have a size at all. The event horizon is just the region of space where the gravitonal forces are so strong that the escape velocity gets faster then the speed of light.
                          Once matter inside the EH would need to move faster then LS to leave the BH, which is not possible to our current knowledge.
                          However, reaching the EH in the first place isn't that easy either, since the closer you get to it, the bigger the tidal forces are on you, meaning that the BH facing side of your craft, planet, sun, atom, etc, gets much greater gravitational forces then your aft part, till the point where the titdal force just tear you apart.
                          when this happens depends on your size and structure, but it will happen at some point before you reach the EH.

And btw, the typical SCI-FI assumpmtion that magical a blackhole sucks everything in is also pretty bogus, since the actual gravitational force the BH will not increase just because its a BH.
                          Example, if our sun would be magical a BH from one second to the other, the solar system would just not care, since its gravitational force on the stellar bodies will be exactly the same as from the sun.

However, since a BH has no size, you can get much closer to its mass then you can with another body like the sun. And thats the point where the gravitational foirce of the BH gets higher then the original graviation on the surface of the body.

Comment

Originally posted by vandred
                            me and my friend hungrytrash were wondering wat happens when a stargate in space opens up rite like does air go out or when u go back in does air go in?
                            wat u people think
                            enough postulating!

my extinguished and nobull associapath, sir flatyoulance and i had loud and turdgid exchange over this poser, and empharticly comlcuded impotent distinkshun by farto bean naugh ty outcome of air thru gate butt pre-venting odious passing of gas

(Please someone delete this for me before I wake up Monday morning)
                            Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

Originally posted by Butterfly-Dreamer
                              There was a similar discussion after the episode of sg1 called watergate aired. Why didn't the water flow trough the gate? The writes said that the gate can tell when something actually wants to travel through it, so going throught the gate requires some conscious efort, or some help from a consciousness.
                              Otherwise it would have ben like an airlock with air flowing from atlantis base into the vacume of space (if the wormhole was going in the right direction that is.)
                              Hope that helps.
                              Conscious? Not really. The gate does one of two things. It either detects the average pressure around it and then adjusts the artificial 'event horzion' it creates so that something must exert a force greater than that to pass through, or it detects the density of the surrounding medium (in space, it would be extremely low, in water, relatively high.) and then ensures that whatever is going to pass through has a greater density.

MARKOV : We had to push the engines a little harder to get through the gate but I expected it was some kind of intuitive countermeasure intended to keep the water from flowing through the gate.

CARTER : It’s possible. My research indicates that the gate actually has the ability to use density molecular structure and the force being exerted on the event horizon, to determine whether something’s actually trying to pass through.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X