PDA

View Full Version : dhd on atlantis

lam7664
July 1st, 2004, 11:50 PM
is there a dhd on the atlantis gate or does it have a computer and does the dhd control the sheild which works like a iris around the gate

hail_jack
July 2nd, 2004, 01:49 AM
Its quite possible; in fact I think it said something about it on some of the spoilers, Maybe Atlantis was supposed to be the Ancients "pride and joy" and therefore they placed their newest technogoly in the city (just like a certain ancient city we saw in the beginning of Season 7) maybe that included a new type of dialing out device-a computer

Maybe put some spoiler warnings though, a lot of people seem to be pretty touchy about them

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 06:13 AM
what certain Ancient city are you talkign about that we saw at the beginning of Season 7? I thought the world they mistook for the Lost City was just a mistake. Was it really and Ancient city and I forgot?

Teal'c
July 2nd, 2004, 06:39 AM
The Atlantis gate uses an Ancient computer to dial up, which would also control the energy shield. The Puddle Jumper has its own DHD/dialing computer too.

Anubis
July 2nd, 2004, 06:51 AM
Hehe. Sounds cool and technical! :D

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 07:15 AM
Hopefully this computer will let the team unlock some nifty new features of this new gate network. You can see it for a breif moment in a trailer when Weir orders McKay to dial the gate.

Jprime
July 2nd, 2004, 07:17 AM
The Atlantis gate uses an Ancient computer to dial up, which would also control the energy shield. The Puddle Jumper has its own DHD/dialing computer too.

But the DHD is an Ancient computer in its own right, supposedly many times as complex as ours, and much more powerful.

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 07:35 AM
I guess we're working with levels of Ancient. If the Milky Way gates (the SG-1 gates) are billions of years old, I guess that means the Ancient tech on Atlantis is only.... a few hundred million years old??

I mean, if they'd been aroudn for millions of years, imagine how much old and conflicting levels of tech must still exist. Eventually, they evolved past the need for any of it and became Ascended. I wonder how much of that we'll see in Atlantis.

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 09:37 AM
I guess we're working with levels of Ancient. If the Milky Way gates (the SG-1 gates) are billions of years old, I guess that means the Ancient tech on Atlantis is only.... a few hundred million years old??

I mean, if they'd been aroudn for millions of years, imagine how much old and conflicting levels of tech must still exist. Eventually, they evolved past the need for any of it and became Ascended. I wonder how much of that we'll see in Atlantis.

Tech-wise, Atlantis was suppossed to be the Ancients' baby joy. Presumably, it's filled with all of the Ancients most advanced and up-to-date tech.

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 09:39 AM
so atlantis was the 'final stop' for Ancient tech? After that is when they all asecnded? Though we will have to learn abuot the plauge, too! When did that happen in the time line of Atlantis leaving earth and becoming abandoned in the Pegasys galaxy...?

David85
July 2nd, 2004, 10:51 AM
Hopefully this computer will let the team unlock some nifty new features of this new gate network. You can see it for a breif moment in a trailer when Weir orders McKay to dial the gate.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed it. It looked pretty cool with push buttons.

Chevron_nine
July 2nd, 2004, 11:24 AM
WHat about the other gates in the Pegasus Galaxy. Will they have the standard DHD? Maybe it will have a big blue button rather than a red one:) Now that I think of it, what do the other gates look like? I think I read the Gate in Atlantis is the only advanced gate, and the other will be normal, but will they have blue chevons? on the atlantis advertisement posters, screensaver, press edition preview dvd, Stargate from that theatre etc. all have a normal gate but with blue chevrons.

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 11:35 AM
I'm hoping that all of the gates in the Pegasus galaxy will be advanced. The DHD is probably just a compact movable computer -- similar to the DHDs in the Mikly Way. I hope that they get rid of the big red button though. I think that the promo-gate looks similar to the old gate is because they didn't have a prototype of the new gate to picture.

Erik Pasternak
July 2nd, 2004, 11:53 AM
In my opinion, the Atlantis DHD should look quite similar to the SG-1 DHD. The differences should be:

1. Different symbols (because the Gate has different symbols).
2. Instead of a big red button, there should be a big dark blue button (think about it, on SG-1, the chevrons are orange, and the button is red, which is a darker shade of orange)
3. They should remember to only press six symbols before the center button (not really a difference in the way it looks, but it really bugs me)

rihannsu
July 2nd, 2004, 11:55 AM
Are they going to have to try a different formula to account for stellar drift like in SG1?

Guess we'll see McKay drawing a diagram during the premire.

Ugly Pig
July 2nd, 2004, 12:06 PM
Are they going to have to try a different formula to account for stellar drift like in SG1?
Why would they? The DHD is supposed to compensate automatically.

rihannsu
July 2nd, 2004, 12:09 PM
Ah, I see! So the DHD negates the need for any formulas. :cool:

Good to know.

David85
July 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM
Ah, I see! So the DHD negates the need for any formulas. :cool:

Good to know.

Unless the Atlantis one breaks too. :D

greytop
July 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
In one of the promos I have seen the DHD looked completely different than the one in SG-1. Maybe it is just the one in the city proper. The DHD in the puddle jumper would have to be different the ones in our solar system, ours would be to big in the puddle jumpers. :)

Chevron_nine
July 2nd, 2004, 01:34 PM
3. They should remember to only press six symbols before the center button (not really a difference in the way it looks, but it really bugs me)It's SEVEN symbols then the button acts like a send button. The only time I've seen them dial less buttons is if the camera switches focus during dialing, or if the camera only cuts to a view of a person dialing after they have already started. The Point of Origin is definately one of the symbols on the DHD's and it looks different on each planet.

Ugly Pig
July 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
The Point of Origin is definately one of the symbols on the DHD's and it looks different on each planet.
Which doesn't really make sense when you think about it. Since each DHD is different, where's the need for a PoO button? The DHD could simply have been programmed to automatically add it to the end of the address when you push the center ball. :)

Chevron_nine
July 2nd, 2004, 02:02 PM
Which doesn't really make sense when you think about it. Since each DHD is different, where's the need for a PoO button? The DHD could simply have been programmed to automatically add it to the end of the address when you push the center ball. :)
The same can be said for the entire gate system. Why have a POO at all? Just have the gate always send a POO signal when ever it's dialled. That is, unless there's some other use for the gates we still don't know about.

Kaloo
July 2nd, 2004, 02:25 PM
well cheveron 7 is always PoO.(even when 8 are dialed)

po134
July 2nd, 2004, 02:35 PM
http://www.strategie-expert.com/all/space2.JPG
Let's take a look of a picture that I took from a teaser [Official no spoiler here plz] it seems we've create an homemade interface from the ancient DHD device for the mother gate [The gate on Atlantis city seems to be a "mother gate" wich can be used on both gatenetwork ;)]

This device seems to be very cool and we'll probably see the same device on Atlantiscity cause this actual device seems to be bring back from the advanced outpost found by SG-1 :D

I'm very exciting to watch the lowdown next monday !

** I apologize for my bad level of english but u know i'm from Quebec and I don't listen in my english class very much yet :P

Chevron_nine
July 2nd, 2004, 02:58 PM
well cheveron 7 is always PoO.(even when 8 are dialed)Actually it's not:p it's always the last one. I suggest you re-watch The Fifth Race.

uknesvuinng
July 2nd, 2004, 04:19 PM

I made a post on the topic of POOs in another thread, which would explain the need for the POO button:

I don't think that's[unique gate symbol always the POO] been stated as an abosolute on the show. If anything it's just a handy rule of thumb that helps them figure it out. The A (or as the Ancients called it, "at"), has been shown on at least 3 gates that I can think of right now. It's on the Alpha (Gaza) and Beta (Antarctic) gates, as well as the Bedrosian gate ("New Ground"). It's only acted as a POO on earth, suggesting that the POO depends on where the gate is (which actually is the physical point the wormhole originates), rather than a "unique" symbol to each gate (which would make the POO entirely redundant and the term POO rather inaccurate). This makes the gates only semi-interchangable, as a gate will only work on planets for which it has the POO. However, this greatly increases the address space of the gate system without increasing the number of symbols to be entered to dial an address. Unique symbols were, for the most part, kept on the planet to which they corresponded [as POOs]. When moved though, the symbol still represents the location of that planet, however it would be used in a destination instead of working as the POO.

Implied is the fact that DHDs are interchangable in the same way. For the most part, original DHD/gate pairs are still together, but the DHD doesn't know the gate's POO until you punch in the last symbol.

BTW, as far as everything I've seen about Atlantis, the Atlantis city gate is the only one with blue cheverons and pretty lights; all of the others are the same gates as in the Milky Way.

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 07:00 PM
If you ask me, that seems a little bizarre to make each DHD unique to a certain Stargate. If the big red button doubled as the point of origin, then the Ancients could just mass produce the DHDs, without having to worry about modifying each one -- which makes more sense to me.

I thought that the Atlantis team discovers a "new gate network". Now is it new in the sense of destinations, or new in the sense of stargates? I'm hoping the latter -- much more storylines then.

uknesvuinng
July 2nd, 2004, 08:32 PM
If you ask me, that seems a little bizarre to make each DHD unique to a certain Stargate. If the big red button doubled as the point of origin, then the Ancients could just mass produce the DHDs, without having to worry about modifying each one -- which makes more sense to me.
It doesn't make DHD's unique to a gate, it just limits interchangability. However, if the POO just becomes a gate identifier, it's function becomes far more limited. It's quite redundant, as the gate doesn't need to be told "who" it is in order to dial. The show indicates though that the gate needs to be told "where" it is so the unique-as-POO system leaves out vital information in the dialing address. A system could be devised so the gate could automatically figure out where it is, but the extra processing would drain more energy and probably cut the lifespan of the power sources.

I thought that the Atlantis team discovers a "new gate network". Now is it new in the sense of destinations, or new in the sense of stargates? I'm hoping the latter -- much more storylines then.

I'd much prefer they didn't get a "new" gate, beyond the one in the city. The idea seems rather cheesy to me. I can see the reason for a different gate in the city, since the city is designed to travel between galaxies, and the gate is integrated into the city, but the only difference between Pegasus gates and the Milky Way gates should be the symbols. Beisdes, the gates still haven't been fully explored yet. We don't need new gates, there's plenty left in the ones we've got.

Torley
July 2nd, 2004, 10:31 PM
Unless their Stargate in the city gets destroyed after the Wraith take it over or some other incoming attack... c'mon, you know, the invasion is inevitable! :)