PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Horror Movie

D.C.
July 1st, 2004, 10:28 PM
What's your favourite horror movie?

Anthro Girl
July 1st, 2004, 11:16 PM
Umm...what's yours? :)

Honestly, I like too many of them to choose. However, I'd have to say either The Thing (1982) or Braindead...or both, since they really aren't of the same genre. ;) If I had to choose one that wasn't sci-fi, supernatural or zombies, I'd pick Silence of the Lambs.

p.s. We could really use a Zombie Smilie. :eek: just doesn't cut it!

Wrathox
July 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
From Dusk Till Dawn

Elwe Singollo
July 1st, 2004, 11:20 PM
I would say an asian horror movie, its one of my favorites because i'm totally scared of clowns, and a supernatural clown was in it. Other than 'IT', this asian horror movie was pretty scary.

D.C.
July 2nd, 2004, 04:22 PM
Dawn of the Dead was awesome. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 2nd, 2004, 04:35 PM
Yah, although i was dissapointed in some of the deaths, that didn't involve zombies... But other than that, Dawn of the Dead was great :)

D.C.
July 2nd, 2004, 04:37 PM
The chainsaw one or the shooting? There's lots of cool horror movies though. I thought The Ring was pretty good. (It was pretty stupid the first time, but good the second time once you knew what too expect. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 2nd, 2004, 05:07 PM
Both the Chainsaw and the shooting, that just made me say "what the hell". Haha...

D.C.
July 2nd, 2004, 05:22 PM
I thought they were both awesome. The chainsaw one was unexpected, until seconds before it happened. :)

majorsal
July 2nd, 2004, 05:35 PM
What's your favourite horror movie?

I guess my fave would be The Haunting. Here's info if anyone's curious: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0057129/ . THE best scary movie I've ever seen!

Sally :D

Elwe Singollo
July 2nd, 2004, 05:37 PM
Yah, the Haunting was pretty good, but it had something that most 'american' horror movies don't, 'low death count', haha...

D.C.
July 2nd, 2004, 05:39 PM
The Haunting from a few years ago? That was okay... What did everyone think of House on Haunted Hill. I think it was pretty atmsopheric. :)

KorbenDirewolf
July 2nd, 2004, 05:47 PM
Can't decide.. Either The Evil Dead or The Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn. Would say the whole Evil Dead trilogy but Army of Darkness wasn't as good as the others.

Erm.. Which House on Haunted Hill? The one with Vincent Price was pretty good.

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 03:11 PM
The new one. It's not the greatest movie, but it has a really awesome atmosphere. :)

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Ringu was pretty scary, so I'll give my vote to that although this new one Ju-On: The Grudge looks terrifying - damn albino kids!

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 04:29 PM
The American Remake of The Grudge? Or the Japanese one, im not sure which one :)

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 05:32 PM
The Japanese one. I've only seen the trailers for both, but the American trailer pales in comparison..pales..hah..I thought I read the Japanese version will be appearing in a few theatres in select locations at the end of this month.

I'm sorry, I should have made it clearer. I think the american one is trying to be a shot for shot remake though.

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 05:35 PM
Really? That could be cool if the Japanese one turns out decent. I don't like the cast of the U.S. one, though. :)

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 05:47 PM
Yeah the U.S. cast is too "I Know What You Did Last Summer"-ish for my tastes. They casted for a teen scare flick rather than a psychological horror ala The Ring

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Yeah, I agree. There's nothing wrong with a teen horror movie, but I'd prefer something more like The Ring. :)

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 05:55 PM
Yeah, I agree. There's nothing wrong with a teen horror movie, but I'd prefer something more like The Ring. :)

Yeah I don't mind a teen horror film when done well, like Scream. But would much prefer seeing something akin to The Ring - like it's sequel out in November. I hope it is better than Ringu 2, I don't remember much from that one, but I remember not liking it as much as the first.

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 06:43 PM
Well it's apparently completely different, with the exception of it being the same director. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 07:04 PM
I love the cast :) It has the independance day dude, one of my favorite actresses, SMG :), Jason Behr, i'm happy with them :) The difference between this American remake of a Japanese movie is that it'll be remade by the same Japanese crew, plus American actors/crew, so yes, me will be happy:)

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 07:09 PM
It could be decent, I'm not really a fan of anyone on the cast, though. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 07:11 PM
I wasn't really a fan of anyone in SG1, but yah, i watched the first episode a very long time ago, and i got grown to them :) I mean, like, is there something wrong the actors in the grudge remake?

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 07:15 PM
Well like Agent said earlier, the casting resembles one of those teen horror movies. Anyone know if the casting in Japan is similar to the U.S.?

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 07:19 PM
How so though, just because the main character was in 'I know what you did last summer' ? Hahah... I'm not sure about your question though :)

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 07:21 PM
It's cause the cast is made up of people you'd usually expect to see in a teen horror movie. One has even been in a teen horror movie, and probably others have been as well. Even though this movie might not be a teen horror movie, it's casting indicates that it will be. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 5th, 2004, 07:24 PM
In most horror teen movies, or at least American ones ;), theres always 'sexual' things within the movie, but this movie deosn't seem to be 'teen' at all, maybe the actors yes, but hopefully we'll see when it comes out... in Octobor :(

AgentX
July 5th, 2004, 07:59 PM
but this movie deosn't seem to be 'teen' at all, maybe the actors yes

I think that's my main problem with the casting. The actors seem to be most familiar with Teen movie material, and that's their comfort zone. I just fear that they wont be able to break free of that and bring anything to The Grudge. But I will be willing to give them a shot...all the way in October...

D.C.
July 5th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I'm looking forward to The Ring more, though. :)

D.C.
The sequel that is. :)

Elwe Singollo
Yah, i understand what your saying, it happened with many of the actors of 90210, haha... Well, i'm just saying that SMG can bring more than a 'teen movie' feel', she has done Scooby Doo, Scream 2, I know what you did last summer, did many guest spots on a variety of shows, some comedy movies, and especially, my favorite, BtVS :) So i for one believe her range of acting skills will bring 'something':) I'm not sure about the other actors though.

Anthro Girl
July 6th, 2004, 01:14 AM
I really liked Army of Darkness, but for entirely different reasons than I liked Evil Dead. I don't consider any of the Book of the Dead trilogy to be horror movies...don't know why. They just aren't scary enough. They're too silly to be scary. Psycho...now that was scary! :D

Dawn of the Dead (the original Romero version) is awesome and I can't wait for the new DVD release.

Elwe Singollo
July 6th, 2004, 02:44 AM
Do u like the original phsyco, or the newer one?

Anthro Girl
July 6th, 2004, 09:28 AM
Do u like the original phsyco, or the newer one?
LOL! I totally forgot they made a newer one and I've never seen it, so obviously I meant the original. Besides, the newer one was an copy of the original, including mistakes and musical score (not re-recorded...the original), so I don't see the point. :p

Elwe Singollo
July 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM
What do you mean its just a copy of the original with the same musical score and mistakes? I'm not sure i understand:rolleyes:

Anthro Girl
July 6th, 2004, 02:47 PM
What do you mean its just a copy of the original with the same musical score and mistakes? I'm not sure i understand:rolleyes:
Keep in mind that I haven't seen it yet and I am a big fan of Gus Van Sant. From what I've read (and I loved the original, so I read about the remake) the 1998 Psycho is intentionally a scene-for-scene remake of the original 1960 Hitchcock version. It was filmed on the same location at Universal, runs the exact same length of time, uses the same score (I was wrong about them not re-recording it) and essentially the same script. Van Sant even copied, on purpose, the mistakes in continuity such as the appearance and disappearance of blood stains in the shower. It is in color, however. Oh, and the actors are different. ;)

I'm sure it's an interesting experiment in filmmaking, which is what Van Sant himself says it is. There are things that couldn't be done then that can be done now (lighting, filming techniques, etc.). I like the original, so I haven't had any overwhelming desire to see the 1998 version. If you know about the original, the only reasons I can see for watching the 1998 version are a) an aversion to B&W film (for shame!), b) because you're a Vince Vaughan or Anne Heche fan (I'd suggest Swingers or Wag the Dog instead), or c) a film buff/student, which is why I suspect I'll eventually watch it...right after I watch Hitchcock's version again. ;)

D.C.
July 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
I didn't know that it was a scene for scene remake. I saw it a couple of years ago and thought it was pretty decent... I've never seen the original movie before. :)

D.C.
July 6th, 2004, 04:05 PM
BTW. You should definately see it if you liked the original. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 6th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Thanks for telling me and making it more clear :) Yah, you should see it, its a nice remake :)

D.C.
July 6th, 2004, 04:28 PM
Anyone going to see the new Exocist movie in cinemas? I thought it would be stupid, but the trailer at http://www.apple.com/trailer is pretty good. It looks like it could potentially be cool. :)

AgentX
July 6th, 2004, 05:02 PM
I'm not sure if Horror in August is a good move. I didn't think that much of the original The Exorcist when it was re-released in theatres in 2000 (or 2001), it definitely wasn't the scariest movie ever, so my viewing of this new one is in question.

Elwe Singollo
July 6th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I saw the trailer... It didn't look so good to me, i wasn't a big fan of 'The Exorcist' either, so thats probably why ;) But anyway, the trailer seems like its going to be less scary than the original, but oh well :)

Jane
July 8th, 2004, 11:27 AM
My favs are Resident Evil and The Ring. :eek:

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 03:06 PM
If you watch 'The Ring' more than once, it kinda looses its scary effect, although thats what happens when you rewatch a horror movie, haha...

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 03:14 PM
It loses the scary effect, but I don't think it loses its intrigue and appeal. I have seen The Ring 6 times and Ringu 4, and always make sure to catch them when they are on.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I've rewatched The Ring as well. I thought it was better the second time. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 03:33 PM
You can also see things you missed the first time on repeat viewing, and with a movie as deeply layered as The Ring it helps.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Yeah, even though you know the scares, it still has an awesome atmosphere. :)

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 04:02 PM
It loses the scary effect, but I don't think it loses its intrigue and appeal. I have seen The Ring 6 times and Ringu 4, and always make sure to catch them when they are on.
Ringu... Now there's a film I want to see. I've only seen the American remake, which was okay but it sure as heck wasn't anywhere near as scary as I thought it would be after everything I'd heard.

One reason why I'd want to see Ringu, though, is that the lead character is apperantly played by the female lead from GTO (the live-action version, that is) and I am a huge GTO fan. Hmm... Not sure anyone reading this thread will know what I'm talking about, though... :o

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 04:19 PM
The Japanese Original isn't too different from the American remake, but i think Ringu is scarier, probably because its set in Japan, and horror that is set in Asia, is scary, but not always serious, haha...

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 04:29 PM
I think the main difference is that Ringu goes more in depth into the backstory of the girl, and her mother. Well at least that's what I found was the more interesting part of the different footage.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 05:34 PM
What was the backstory like in the Japanese movie?

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 05:36 PM
They explained why everyone was scared of the girl and her mother, they showed the first time (Sadako/Samara) she killed someone with her thoughts, and her psychic powers. It was a little scene but I really enjoyed it.

Was it Sadako? I thought for sure that it was, but now I may be getting it confused with the thousand paper cranes girl.. mmmm

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 05:40 PM
Cool. How'd she kill the person?

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 05:46 PM
With her 'phsycic powers', that the Japanese version had :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 05:47 PM
With her mind. If memory serves me correctly they are all at this demonstration of the mother's apparent psychic power. She repeatedly draws the same chracters that a man behind a screen draws. One reporter yells and calls her a demon because of her ability. Then a small commotion occurs. Admist this that reporter dies with that weird look on his face, and the mother looks at her daughter and screams why did you do this and all that. Various looks of fear are exchanged and the scene ends.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Heh, I knew it was with her powers... I was wondering the specifics of the scene though. That sounds pretty cool. I liked how Samara was mysterious in the U.S. version, but that scene sounds like it would have been cool. :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 05:52 PM
The U.S. sequel should be pretty cool. It's apparently about the back story. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 05:53 PM
Cool, I haven't really read that much about it - but I think hearing about the backstory would be really interesting.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 05:56 PM
It's also cool how it's by the same director. It would have been good to see Gore Verbinski do the sequel as well, but if you're going to change the director, at least there changing to the original one. :)

It'll be interesting to watch without spoilers. I wonder if Samara's origin is going to change. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 05:57 PM
I'm just glad they got Naomi Watts to be in it again. She was fantastic in the first one.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Yeah, she's a pretty cool actress.

http://www.cinescape.com/0/Editorial.asp?this_cat=Development+Heck&obj_id=39222&aff_id=0 - You can find stuff on the sequel here, but it may have some spoilers. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Sounds positive. November is still so far away though - but for a good psychological horror I can wait it out.

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 06:53 PM
I'm looking forward for the sequel :) Heres yahoo movies premise of the sequel...

Premise: Following the events of the first movie (in which mysterious video tapes seemed to cause people who saw them to die seven days later), investigative reporter Rachel Keller (Watts) and her son Aidon (Dorfman) move away from the big city life of Seattle to the small town of Asheville, Oregon. Soon enough, however, Rachel discovers a case in which those pesky tapes seem to be up to their seven-days-later-you-will-die shenanigans, even as developments arise which threaten her relationship with her son. Returning to Seattle to investigate the case of Samara Morgan (the ghost girl from the first movie), Rachel begins to uncover secrets behind the entire phenomenon... (Baker plays a coworker at Rachel's newspaper; Van Camp plays a teenage girl whose boyfriend died after seeing one of the video tapes.)

:)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that. I wonder when we will see the first look at a teaser trailer. A teaser should be soon, the teaser trailer and actual trailer for The Ring was freaky.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 08:25 PM
Yeah, I know. I think that's why I thought the movie sucked the first time I saw it... The trailers made it look really awesome and mysterious. The movie was awesome and mysterious on the second viewing though.

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 08:52 PM
I think movies like The Ring are the way to scare people, and are the true horror films of the 21st century. Films like that remake of Texas Chainsaw Massacre are just not that a) scary b) interesting and c)enjoyable.

28 Days Later was also good, but not exactly "Scary. As. Hell." like they said it was. It relied too heavily on loud noises to get jumps.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Dawn of the Dead was an awesome remake, though. I haven't seen the original though, so it was pretty much like an entirely new movie. (It's apparently different from the original as well. :))

Yeah, 28 Days Later was decent, but I wouldn't rank it on the same level as movies like The Ring and Dawn of the Dead. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 08:57 PM
Well 28 days later is a foreign movie with a lower budget, you have to give them applause for that :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 08:59 PM
Dawn of the Dead was an awesome remake, though. I haven't seen the original though, so it was pretty much like an entirely new movie. (It's apparently different from the original as well. :))

And here's where we differ. I saw Dawn of the Dead (2004) and I thought it was horrible. Everything about it was just a means to show the most gruesome deaths, and people eating people. The higher the blood spurted the better the film!

I haven't seen the original either, and believe me after seeing the remake, I won't be.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:00 PM
Yeah, but budget doesn't neccessarily make the story better. :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:01 PM
AgentX: Heh, it's my favourite movie of the year so far. :) I'm definately going to get it on DVD when it's released. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:01 PM
Than i would say 28 days later had a better story than Dawn of the Dead then :) Buts that just my judgement :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:04 PM
AgentX: Heh, it's my favourite movie of the year so far. :) I'm definately going to get it on DVD when it's released. :)

I buy plenty of DVDs and I think this one will definitely be skipped. But I have a friend who is of the same opinion as you. I remember being excited about seeing it... and then when I watched it :S My friends all were in agreement. Craptacular :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:05 PM
That's cool. I prefer the mystery of Dawn of the Dead. Something happened, no one knew how it started, and it looks like it's spanning across the world. 28 Days Later felt like it was contained in England and we knew the origin of the outbreak. 28 Days Later probably developed all the characters more, and was a different sort of movie. They were more of a family. The characters in Dawn of the Dead were forced to get along to survive. Some were friends, some stuck around for safety in numbers. I preferred Dawn of the Dead. :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:07 PM
I buy plenty of DVDs and I think this one will definitely be skipped. But I have a friend who is of the same opinion as you. I remember being excited about seeing it... and then when I watched it :S My friends all were in agreement. Craptacular :)Maybe it's just not your type of movie. It's cool how there are different types of horror movies though. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:11 PM
They were more of a family. The characters in Dawn of the Dead were forced to get along to survive. Some were friends, some stuck around for safety in numbers.

And eventually they all got eaten on an island. AWWWWW :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Heh, true. At least the dog survived. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:19 PM
I would have liked to have seen more about the backstory, so I guess I am the opposite of you. Diseases and outbreaks really interest me so I I would ahve wanted to see what was going on in the rest of the world and such and such.

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, I like backstory as well, but I thought for this type of movie it was good that the characters didn't know what was going on. It would have been cool to see what happened around the world as well, though. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:30 PM
Yeah people eating each other in different languages. Maybe that will be on the DVD released in October (R1)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Heh, yeah... the director's cut. :) I guess the characters in 28 Days Later didn't know how the outbreak started, even though the audience knew. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:34 PM
What is so 'entertaining' about the ending after the ending (the end credits)? I thought it was just... No!!! Haha..

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
It was pretty suprising and unexpected. The ending before the credits is pretty much your normal type of ending and this just added to it. It also gives some incentive to stay through the credits. :) It's not something you see very often... Although the camera stuff was sort of like the Blair Witch Project. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:36 PM
What is so 'entertaining' about the ending after the ending (the end credits)? I thought it was just... No!!! Haha..

I'm thinking it was to reward people who stayed through the credits, or to punish lazy people like me who couldn't move after that abomination of a movie. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Well i was happy with the 'standard ending' haha... Too bad i stayed through the credits... :( Haha...

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:38 PM
Both endings were good, though. :) One's the happy ending, one's the sad ending. :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:39 PM
The trailer for Dawn of the Dead was pretty awesome as well. :)

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:41 PM
The trailer for Dawn of the Dead was pretty awesome as well. :)
I'll give you that. It was pretty good, and made me excited for the actual movie.

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:45 PM
I thought the whole 'little kid' at the beginning of the trailer freaked me out when i saw it, haha... Mini Zombie!

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:47 PM
The visual effects wasn't added to the girl in the trailer, as well. She looked even more screwed up in the movie. :)

D.C.
July 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM
What do you think of the Final Destination movies? :)

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:48 PM
Didn't they just make the scene darker? Cause in the movie, its morning, but in the trailer, its at night (or it seemed like it), but yah, that little girl's face was mest up, pretty badly, haah...

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:53 PM
What do you think of the Final Destination movies? :)
I actually liked those, not scary, but entertaining. The first one was good and it actually had somewhat of a plot. The second one was much like Dawn of the Dead, lets see how we can get the next character to die. But the deaths in FD2 were just so much better. The pane of glass, the razor wire on the fence. For mindless, gratuitious dismemberment Final Destination 2 can't be beat.

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 09:54 PM
I thought the deaths were really gruesome, especially how that one person died in the elevator, and one of the characters who died in the car because of the stupid airbag thats supposed to be saving!

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM
I thought the deaths were really gruesome, especially how that one person died in the elevator, and one of the characters who died in the car because of the stupid airbag thats supposed to be saving!

Indeed. Gruesome, hilarious. Same thing.

Elwe Singollo
July 8th, 2004, 10:38 PM
I kind of got mad that the character from the original movie didn't survive... That was just a bad move imo...

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 07:37 AM
I didn't care about any of the chracters enough to actually care if they lived or died. In the span of two movies they didn't have any sort of character development. But I'm not complaining, I didn't want character development.

Elwe Singollo
July 9th, 2004, 10:41 AM
Well yah, i didn't want any either, well maybe i did, but thats not what i wanna talk about, i wanna talk about how annoying it was that they thought it was over, which was stupid, because is it ever over, but anyways, then out of nowhere, boom, she gets incinerated, i think that was stupid... I thought the movie could have ended nicely before the black dude died, haha...

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 10:45 AM
Movies these days try to lure the viewer into a false sense of security regarding the safety of the protagonists. I agree with you I find it tiresome. I'd rather have a definite ending, rather than left thinking "so...is it over now?"

Elwe Singollo
July 9th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Yah, that annoying thing happened in the movie Existenz, where at the end, they didnt know if they were still in a game or not. Which was stupid;)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 11:02 AM
Ya know another good horror movie that I failed to mention. Aliens. That was some scary stuff. Much, much better than the original. A bad horror movie with a cool scene was Ghost Ship. Where in the first couple minutes a thin razor wire slices through all the guests on the deck. That was gruesome.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that scene is ****ing awesome. The rest of the movie pretty much sucks. Aliens is an awesome movie as well. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 03:40 PM
I saw the first Alien when it was re-released this past year and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. I mean, it was ok - a bit boring, and definitely not frightening. The second one, with the queen and the showdown in that sublevel. That was fantastic. I wonder if Alien Vs. Predator will be any good.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 03:42 PM
It could be decent, it's by the Resident Evil person... If you liked that movie, you'll probably like this movie. I don't think it'll be that good though, but it could be. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 04:12 PM
I haven't seen Resident Evil but it didn't look good. I don't much care for Predator, and don't even think it's a fair fight. So I doubt I would go see AVP

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Yeah, it's probably more of a Blockbuster rental. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 05:11 PM
I can't remember the last time I rented a movie.

There's another Japanese Horror movie being released in selective cities for American audiences. "Dark Water" about a mother and her daughter in a house that is haunted, and the ghost is targeting them. It doesn't sound scream inducing but when have the Japanese gone wrong?

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 05:12 PM
I'm not a fan of foreign movies. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Oh they are some of the best though. I don't mind the subtitles. I am fully capable of reading and watching. There's a movie called Battle Royale, which I really wanna see, but can never find one with English subtitles. From what I heard that's a freaky movie.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM
I like watching movies. It's too much of a hasstle reading subtitles. I'm not a fan of dodgy dubs as well. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Dubbing is quite bad and just too distracting. I haven't seen a horror movie dubbed, but I can't imagine liking it. If I am laughing at the dubbing job how could I be terrified.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Even in U.S. films when a character speaks another language or something and it's subtitled... I don't like that, either. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 05:50 PM
Ah...oh....well then - guess you'll just have to be content with Dawn of the Dead :)

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Hey, shut up. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 05:58 PM
:)

An upcoming movie that looks like it could have some horror moments is The Village. That does seem worth watching. I thought parts of Signs (done by the same guy M. Night Shamalyan) were freaky and gave me a scare, so here's hoping The Village does too.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 06:00 PM
That's my most anticipated movie. We've just started getting trailers in Australia for a movie called Godsend, that I've never heard of before? Have you heard of it or seen it? It looks like it could be decent. :)

AgentX
July 9th, 2004, 06:06 PM
Godsend came out in Early may I think. It was lost in the shuffle with Van Helsing and Troy I believe - so no one really saw it. It did look creepy, but I didn't hear great things about it, and no one I know wanted to see it, so I didn't go.

The Village is the only movie that I am waiting for this summer. Now that everything else is gone.

D.C.
July 9th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Yeah, it looks like it's going to be awesome. :)

The premise for Godsend looks pretty creepy.

Ugly Pig
July 10th, 2004, 08:37 AM
I like watching movies. It's too much of a hasstle reading subtitles. I'm not a fan of dodgy dubs as well. :)
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Dubbing is evil. :mad:

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 09:06 AM
I wasn't sure what Godsend was about, because i saw little advertisement on TV, was it about a kid who died or something? But hes like 'still alive'?

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Yeah, dubbing is bad. :)

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 03:09 PM
It's about some kid who's killed in an accident, his parents get him cloned, and something happens with the clone when it turns the same age as the original kid. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 03:56 PM
It looks like The Ring 2 isn't coming out this year. It has apparently been pushed back to 2005 for an, as of now, unknown reason. Probably because it just recently started filming, but that sucks as I was looking forward to it.

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 03:58 PM
The person originally attached to direct dropped out, that's when they got the Japanese director. That could be why it could be pushed back. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 04:45 PM
They knew about the director change long ago, and still set a Nov 2004 release date. So I don't think that's it. Now what's coming out in november that's scary...nothing's tha's what. UGH

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 05:07 PM
You've got House of Wax in October, but that could potentially suck. (It's by the same people who made House on Haunted Hill, Thirteen Ghosts, Ghost Ship, and Gothika. :))

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Isn't that with Paris Hilton? No thanks, I'll pass.

I guess the only horror movie this scary season I'll be seeing is that US remake of The Grudge. :(

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 05:20 PM
I think she's just got a small role. For some reason they're making it out like she's the star of the movie. :) I think it'll be a rental movie though. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 05:34 PM
House of Wax doesn't even sound like a good horror movie title. Is it about crayons or something? :)

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 05:39 PM
Heh, it's got a pretty screwed up premise. It's based on an old movie. Some guys wax museum burns down and his hands are disfigured. He decides to rebuild his collection by killing people and covering them in wax. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 05:46 PM
HAHA.

Seriously, whats the premise :)

That does sound hilarious, I'm guessing it knows that it's not gonna be a hard core horror so it's going to play up the campiness of it all. At least i hope so.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Heh, it's got a pretty screwed up premise. It's based on an old movie. Some guys wax museum burns down and his hands are disfigured. He decides to rebuild his collection by killing people and covering them in wax. :)Sounds interesting and not interesting, haha... I mean, 'does he have to kill' the people? haha..

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I think it might. They were originally thinking about making it a 3D movie with glasses and stuff. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
So does the 'disfigured hand' person just become crazy after the burning down of the building, and start deciding to kill people for his new collection or something? Or what is his 'motive' for wanting to kill?

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 06:05 PM
Cause we are back in the 1950's now, 3D Glasses are the 'it' thing :)

Isn't is motive to remake the statues in the House of Wax, but is too disfigured so he kills and saves time.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 06:07 PM
Thats just something i wouldn't want to watch, but one of those 'straight-to-video' kind of movies :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Straight to Video indeed, which is what I think is a route a bulk of the horror films are going these days. Not too many Horror films have box office success these days, save for a couple exceptions.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 06:59 PM
What horror movies had recently come out in theaters (including last year), i don't remember much :eek:

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 07:02 PM
Dawn of the Dead, House of 1000 Corpses, Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alien (Director's cut). I think a new version of Halloween also came out. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Dawn of the Dead, House of 1000 Corpses, Cabin Fever, Freddy vs. Jason, Texas Chainsaw Massacre, Alien (Director's cut). I think a new version of Halloween also came out. That's all I can think of off the top of my head.House of 1000 corpses did bad, so did Cabin Fever, and im' not so sure about Alien Directors Cut. I do know DotD, TCM, and Freddy vs Jason did good in the box office, for horror movies that is. I dont know, most of these horror movies weren't even good :S

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Apparently the secret to boxoffice success when dealing with horror films is to make sure they are a remake. Aside from The Ring and the Scream trilogy, I can't think of many other original horror films to do well. I haven't seen Freddy vs. Jason, but from the reviews and info I have read I don't know if it should truly be classified as a horror, it sounds more action than anything else.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Apparently the secret to boxoffice success when dealing with horror films is to make sure they are a remake. Aside from The Ring and the Scream trilogy, I can't think of many other original horror films to do well. I haven't seen Freddy vs. Jason, but from the reviews and info I have read I don't know if it should truly be classified as a horror, it sounds more action than anything else.Isn't the ring a remake? Freddy vs. Jason is what i call an action comedy, with an attempt to make it scary, haha...

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 07:30 PM
I don't like the Scream trilogy. I think Godsends a horror movie as well. It can be added to the list :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 07:31 PM
True The Ring is a remake, but it's a remake of a Japanese movie - that's fairly recent. One that not a lot of American audiences would have seen, so I wouldn't classify the Ringu --> The Ring transistion as the same as Texas Chainsaw Massacre (197?3)--> Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003)

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 07:32 PM
http://www.angryalien.com/

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 07:34 PM
What do you think the creepiest horror movie is?

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 07:48 PM
I don't know The Ring, Ringu, Scream. I watched a film when I was 9, Candyman. That freaked the heck outta me. Creeped me out big time

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Heh, I remember that one.

What do you think of Urban Legend? It's probably the best sort of Scream copying-type of movie. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:07 PM
The first Urban Legend was actually pretty good. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. Final Cut on the other hand... yeah the less said about that one the better.

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:08 PM
I agree. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Another movie that I watched as a young child that scared me at that time was "The Graveyard Shift" I think it was about some house that had lots of zombies, and then there was "The People Under The Stairs" (or something akin to that) that had me quickly runnning up steps.

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:27 PM
I don't think I've seen either of those. What's the second one about? :)

Ugly Pig
July 10th, 2004, 08:28 PM
Well, since we're talking about horror movies I'll mention that I recently saw the original Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time. Is it me, or is this movie extremely overrated? I mean it was not scary, made little sense towards the end and the final scene was just plain stupid (and it felt tacked-on). Well, that's how it came across to me, anyway.

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:30 PM
I think I've seen it, but not for a while. Maybe it was more scarier when it was released? :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Well, since we're talking about horror movies I'll mention that I recently saw the original Nightmare on Elm Street for the first time. Is it me, or is this movie extremely overrated? I mean it was not scary, made little sense towards the end and the final scene was just plain stupid (and it felt tacked-on). Well, that's how it came across to me, anyway.

The whole series is overrated. The only film that sort of gave me a fright was the fourth one: "The Dream Warriors" or something like that. I always thought Halloween, at least the earlier ones, were scarier than both the Nightmare on Elm street series and the Friday the 13th series.

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:35 PM
They're all slightly overrated. I think Freddy Kruger is the best villian though. :)

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:43 PM
My list goes: Mike Myers, Freddy Kruger, Jason Voorhees (sp?). If I had to meet someone in an alleyway I would rather meet Freddy than Mike. I think it's Mike's face paint. Spooks me out majorly, and that large knife is such a simpler and cooler weapon than that glove of Freddy's

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Freddy's got supernatural powers though.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 08:47 PM
I like Michael Myers better than Jason for some reason, haha... But although the Freddy movies aren't scary, the villian is what makes me scared, haha...

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:48 PM
I think Mike is more real than Freddy, so that vaults him past the supernatural powers that Freddy possesses. The scariest villan is one that could exist. Not a totally unbelieveable one. IMHO

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:49 PM
Yeah, none of them are really scary. I don't think I've seen a movie with Jason in it apart from Freddy Vs Jason and Jason X. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Every Jason movie has horny teens in all of them, and thats why Jason kills them, isn't that stupid? Haha...

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:51 PM
littlemigueljr: Heh, that is pretty stupid. :)

D.C.
July 10th, 2004, 08:52 PM
AgentX: You've got a point, but still I think it would be creepier if a serial killer could get the victims while they're dreaming. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Yah, that does make me pretty freaked out about going to sleep, haha...

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:53 PM
Many movies made in the 80's have horny teenagers. But they do make good chainsaw fodder. :)

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 08:54 PM
In Jason X, i forgot if they had any, but if i remember, they had a hologram of two naked girls in a camp site, then Jason stuffs them in their sleeping bags and starts throwing them around, i was like, is that supposed to be funny? Haha...

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Wasn't Jason X the one where he was a cybernetic version of himself, and he was onboard a ship or something? The premise seemed a little out there for my taste.

Elwe Singollo
July 10th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Wasn't Jason X the one where he was a cybernetic version of himself, and he was onboard a ship or something? The premise seemed a little out there for my taste.Yah, it shouldn't have ever been made, haha...

AgentX
July 10th, 2004, 09:09 PM
I don't think anyone saw it, so all things considered it wasn't :)

I have seen a couple lists of top horror films and The Silence Of The Lambs appears on them, I would have put it at the top my horror list, but I don't really consider it horror. More thriller/suspense.

Elwe Singollo
July 11th, 2004, 03:24 AM
I don't think anyone saw it, so all things considered it wasn't :)

I have seen a couple lists of top horror films and The Silence Of The Lambs appears on them, I would have put it at the top my horror list, but I don't really consider it horror. More thriller/suspense.I think horror movies that are based on true stories scare me, not really the actual movie, but that is actually happened. I've always thought The Silence of the Lambs was both Horror and Suspense/Thriller, and it would be on the top of almost anyone's list :) Well maybe not 'everyone', but a lot of peoples :)

D.C.
July 13th, 2004, 10:10 PM
So are you a fan of serial killer horror movies or other type of horror movies. (Zombies, The Ring, and etc. :))

Elwe Singollo
July 14th, 2004, 12:20 AM
I think i'm a fan of both, because yah, both are scary in their own way, like the serial killer kinds, the thing that scares me is that it can happen, and the 'zombie/ring/etc' kinds are just sometimes freaky because it looks so real :)

D.C.
July 14th, 2004, 01:53 PM
I think I like the other type of horror movie better. :)

Uncle Dick
September 26th, 2004, 09:04 PM
Shriek If You Know What I Did Last Friday The Thirteenth

I suppose it's more of a spoof than a true horror film, but I love it anyway.

Also, Lost Highway, if you consider it horror at all. Robert Blake plays a disturbingly convincing satanic-type person.

*RA
October 7th, 2004, 12:47 AM
Halloween 4, 5, & 6. Completly Freaky if you ask me.

CultTVGirl
October 7th, 2004, 08:17 AM
I love horror movies - definitely my favourite movie genre.

My faves are the Scream movies. I even like the third one! ;)

But I also love Final Destination, The Faculty, Idle Hands - most of the teen horror flicks in fact.

Elwe Singollo
October 8th, 2004, 09:15 PM
My faves are the Scream movies. I even like the third one! ;)
Whats wrong with the third movie?! Cause i liked that one, haha...

AgentX
October 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
I thought the third was better than the second.

Elwe Singollo
October 8th, 2004, 09:51 PM
I was kind of happy though, that they didn't make a fourth movie, because i thought the 3rd one ended the trilogy good. I also thought the 3rd one was better than the 2nd one, although the first one had like the typical blonde girl who dies, which is why i think the 2nd one was better than the 1st one, haha... That almost made no sense... Oh wait, it did a little, haha...

CultTVGirl
October 9th, 2004, 02:12 AM
I thought the third was better than the second.

I liked Scream 2 better, mainly because it had lots of Liev Schreiber in it (aka Cotton Weary) and then in number three they killed him off really quickly. I'm still upset about that. :(

But the first movie is still my favourite. And I'm also glad they stopped at three movies. Making another might have been stretching the idea a bit too far (though if they did make one, I know I'd be first in the queue to see it!).

Sela
October 9th, 2004, 06:34 PM
There are so many that I saw and don't ever want to see again. Like the old Dracula films from England. They scared me at the time and I really don't want to relive them. A lot of them were made when I was much younger and are probably pretty campy now a days. But when they come on, my nine old hackles start to rise on the back of my neck and I quickly turn the channel. The adult in me tries to calm the child in me, but as always the child doesn't listen. ;)

Just the sound of the original Alien trailer "music" makes me want to scream. I've never had a trailer scare me before I saw the movie, but that one did. The movie lived up to the trailer.

Just a few days ago, I saw "The Forgotten'. The trailer was interesting but not scary, but in the last 30 minutes of the movie I sat with my hands over my eyes peeking through them. I hadn't done that in a film in ages! It scared the fire outta of me! I wasn't the only one, either. A women a few rows behind me screamed at the first of the main shocking scenes. Everyone in the theatre nearly had a heart attack. LOL! I'm dying to see it again, but it's going to take a while. I'll probably catch it on DVD.

D.C.
October 9th, 2004, 06:41 PM
Cool. Sounds good. :)

DownFallAngel
October 9th, 2004, 07:08 PM
The revised Texas Chainsaw Massacre (the one with Jessica Biel)

or the upcoming SAW

D.C.
October 11th, 2004, 02:00 PM
I wonder when the teaser trailer for The Ring 2 will be released.

D.C.
November 13th, 2004, 07:53 PM
I saw The Forgotten at the cinemas yesterday. (It just opened in cinemas in Australia) It was awesome... Everyone in the cinema jumped when the detective was 'abducted', and nervously laughed afterwards. Also I jumped when I saw the NSA car coming directly at the main characters before they even noticed. :) Really well shot.I'll probably get it on DVD as well. It's sort of similar to The X-Files, but different. It's an awesome movie. :)

Vapor
November 14th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Dang, where did this thread come from?

So, um, I'm typically not really frightened by horror films, but I still find them fascinating, so you could say I'm a fan of the genre.

Okay, so I'm a pretty big "Nightmare on Elm Street" fan, and the original and the seventh film, "Wes Craven's New Nightmare" are probably my favorites out of the bunch. Wes did some great work with those films. "Freddy vs. Jason" was pretty fun as well.

The new "Texas Chainsaw Massacre" was fantastic, and I still haven't gotten it on DVD yet.

The original "Exorcist" was also a good one.

X-Man
November 17th, 2004, 03:28 PM
I've seen waay too many horror flicks to choose 1, but "The Eye" by the Pang brothers comes close.

Watch it and don't sleep for a week.

Last decent one at the cinemas had to have been a screening of "Ring" (God, I sound pretentious!) at my local UGC. Packed to the gills, and very fun audience!