This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis time

I was wondering how many hours is there in an Atlantis day?

sigpic
    Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
    Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

You'd have to ask Rodney if hes not too busy eating or sleeping
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

It's probably 24 hours/day. We did come from earth and are still accustomed to the typical 24 hours. Plus when the ancients seeded life, they probably picked planets who had typical days and years, people need that kind of stability.
      Und was ich sar war Menschlichkeit...

Und was ich sar war Dummheit
      Menschlicher Neigung entsprechend
      Tiersches Verhalten

Learn to swim, I'll see you down in Arizona bay,
      Vicious

Comment

There's more than 24 hours.

From Runner:
        LORNE: We haven't heard from them since 26:30 Atlantis Standard Time.

I'm not sure but I think there's 28hrs in an Atlantis day.

Comment

I'd bet at least 33 hours, probably more. There was still a lot of light filtering through the exterior Gatrium windows when that message was recieved, so I'd bet that it was mid- or late-afternoon.
          sigpic
          http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
            I was wondering how many hours is there in an Atlantis day?
            The time of the day shouldn't be too far from 24 hours/day. I estimate it should be within a factor of 2, i.e. 12 hr/day to 48 hr/day.
            If it were 240 hours/day, you would be heated by the sun for 120 hours continuously, and then cool down for the next 120 hours continuously. It will be hellish weather: extremely hot days and extremely cold nights.
            If it were 30 minutes/day, you should feel the centrifugal force.
            Last edited by lethalfang; 26 August 2005, 06:57 PM.
            "Thermodynamics is the only physical theory of universal content which, within the framework of the applicability of its basic concepts, I am convinced will never be overthrown." — Albert Einstein

Comment

I thought it was nearly the same size as earth (The Storm) so it would then have around 24 hrs in a day, possibly slightly more or less. 28hrs doesn't seem a bad guess

Comment

Size of planet doesn't have anything to do with how long a day is on that planet. It all has to do with how fast a planet is rotating on its axis. Two planets the same size that are rotating at different speeds would have different length of days. OTOH, if two planets that are of different sizes were rotating at the same speed, the length of a day on the two planets would be the same.
                Keep Carson. Keep Elizabeth.
                Keep Atlantis.

Lemming #14
                -Clueless Lemming Cretin-

Image by Cailliath

Comment

Im sure i heard somene say 36:00 hours atlantis time but that seems a little extreme.

Lantia home of Atlantis, Lost City of the Ancients

Anyone else going Portsmouth University in the summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring
                    Size of planet doesn't have anything to do with how long a day is on that planet. It all has to do with how fast a planet is rotating on its axis. Two planets the same size that are rotating at different speeds would have different length of days. OTOH, if two planets that are of different sizes were rotating at the same speed, the length of a day on the two planets would be the same.
                    Very true, a day on Jupiter (at least at the visible 'suface') is a little more than 23 hours. I'd say Atlantis' planet (does it have a name?) is similar to Earth, but rotates more slowly (perhaps slightly smaller or a little older)

Comment

Originally posted by Night Spring
                      For life to be present on a planet (either live on it or evovle on it) it has to have certain requirements. Temperature, atmosphere and so on. If the planet must rotate about the same speed as Earth to be able to have liffe present on it if it is nearly the same size as earth. The days are probably longer as the water was freezing in siege part 3 when ford was in the water.

Comment

How come they have watches running on Earth time?

sigpic
                        Gate City - My humorous Stargate site made when I was young, enjoy!
                        Previously known as False hope who was previously known as McKay's girl

Comment

I suppose it would be easier than replacing everybodies watch, plus they are all on the same time if you said dial back at 12:00 the person on the other side (assuming it is a human) would have a watch running on the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by McKay's girl
                            How come they have watches running on Earth time?
                            Because when the actors finish there days work, they return to earth time.
                            The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Whatever planet you’re on, (unless of course it’s some prison hell moon like SG1-313), there never seems to be enough hours in the day.
                              Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

Working...
                              X