This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cyberstalkers who may be mods?

What do you do when you suspect you have a cyber stalker or harasser and circumstantial evidence suggests that they may be a moderator?

NOT IN THIS ForuM over on another !

It's just all this week and previously on and off I have had no replies to any postings I made or threads I started and this morning I ran a search criteria and found no traces of any of my postings and worse I found my mosT recent thread started yesterday had been deleted deleted

the subject of the thread a request for people to stop arguing and start taking action to do something about sam

i offered to designed logos gifs for pro sam fans thos efew who think the character is still fixable

the thread was deleted with no explanation given

could be people just have me on ignore - fine - that's their choice - but when your threads all disappear into cyber limbo with no trace left ?

and people start deleting them when they're not breaking forum rules ?

I gotta wonder if I have a stalker / harasser who's trying to reduce my online presence as some form of revenge for me running Sassy Gate - maybe in some wierd way they think they're helping the PTBs ?

is it possible to hack into a forum and do unauthorized deletes ?

worried Neith

ideas anyone ???
    Keep the science in SciFi!

if you go to your profile page you'll see a link that says all threads started by *your name*

click on it, i saw 5 threads.

http://forum.gateworld.net/member.php?u=428

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
    Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
    Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

Comment

Without knowing the context, it's impossible to say. It's one thing for you to say, "It was entirely on topic and friendly" but having not seen the post(s) myself, I wouldn't know. What YOU say is on topic and friendly could be seen as hostile and antagonistic to someone else. It does seem unusual that the Mods haven't warned you or otherwise been in contact, but personally, I think that jumping from "all my posts have been deleted" to "I'm being stalked" is a mighty big leap.

Also, while it's entirely possible that someone has either hacked in to delete your posts or has used genuine moderator proviledges to remove content, I doubt very highly that it was done purely out of spite. The only remotely plausible way I could see that as an option would be if there were only ONE moderator. But if you've been posting there for a while with no problems, then that may not be likely, either.

I have to ask... why are you asking US? Why don't you email the mods of the board in question and ask THEM what's going on? We can't exactly do anything about it and asking them may bring the problem to light- if indeed there is a problem.

edit: Just to clarify... I know nothing about this situation and I'm not about to pass judgement in ANY direction. It does seem, to me, to be bad form to come here to complain about problems on another board. And again I say: talk to the mods THERE. They are the ones who know what's going on. We don't.

Comment

Neith

problems on or with another board, belong on that board. people run their forums how they wish
        Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by neith4
          is it possible to hack into a forum and do unauthorized deletes ?

worried Neith

ideas anyone ???
          Yes it is possible, but its a bit self-flattering and rather paranoid to suggest anybody would exert the time and energy necessary to accomplish such a task, just to annoy you and delete your posts!

Yeesh.
          [email protected]
          http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
          One nation under dog
          There of which I stand alone
          A face in the crowd
          Unsung, against the mold
          Without a doubt
          Singled out
          The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
            Yes it is possible, but its a bit self-flattering and rather paranoid to suggest anybody would exert the time and energy necessary to accomplish such a task, just to annoy you and delete your posts!

Yeesh.
            Well, yes, there's that too. I was just trying to be polite. For once.

Comment

Shadow! Your losing your touch!
              [email protected]

One nation under dog
              A face in the crowd
              Unsung, against the mold
              Without a doubt
              Singled out
              The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
                Shadow! Your losing your touch!
                I prefer to think of it as a moment of temporary insanity.

Or is it a moment of temporary sanity??

Anyway, I've had times when I've felt I was being targeted and persecuted, but I never took such thoughts seriously unless I knew the person(s) doing it and knew that they really WERE targeting me.

We all like to feel special, but in truth, we're not. That whole "you're unique, just like everyone else" is absolutely right. Although sometimes I wonder if some folk really ARE unique...

Comment

Maybe a mod deleted it because you assumed everyone thinks that there's a problem with Sam!

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    I prefer to think of it as a moment of temporary insanity.

Or is it a moment of temporary sanity??

Anyway, I've had times when I've felt I was being targeted and persecuted, but I never took such thoughts seriously unless I knew the person(s) doing it and knew that they really WERE targeting me.

We all like to feel special, but in truth, we're not. That whole "you're unique, just like everyone else" is absolutely right. Although sometimes I wonder if some folk really ARE unique...
                    Dunno about the "temporary" bit! Anyway by this point im basically an expert in paranoia. Seriously, my computer plays "Everybody look whats going down" as its default startup sound! Although I wonder if its really paranoia, since I'm aware of it...
                    [email protected]

One nation under dog
                    A face in the crowd
                    Unsung, against the mold
                    Without a doubt
                    Singled out
                    The only way I know

Comment

"If everyone is out to get you, paranoia is just good thinking!"

And I'm not going to speculate on the content or implication of neith's posts beyond what I've already said. More of those crazy manners coming out of nowhere.

Comment

yes blush i know the posting sounded paranoid but like I had to ask ?

I figured I had to take the risk of seeming paranoid to find out if its possible ?

I did a full criteria search and nothing showed up and after i complained lo and behold and things getting wierder the deleted thread reappears - after I complained mind me - no explanatory messages - just the thread reappears -

is it any wonder I'm beginning to wonder about the possibility of cyberstalkers?

Granted maybe its just the server being sticky but I dont think threads are suppose to wander in and out of cyberlimbo?

It's just only a moderator is supposed to have the power to delete so its either a moderator or a hacker
                        and if I dont know which mod what happens if I complain to the wrong mod?

Personally I prefer definite proof its just the server

A sudden anonymous reappearance after I complained suggests human action to me - by the way when it did reappear I did post a thank you to whoever it was who rescued it

i really dont know what happened but if its human action i wish the person would stop doing it - like deleting a thread cos I offered to design some pro sam logo gifs is really petty! And if whoever you are happens to be lurking
                        I finished the gifs anyway so tuff luck - they're going up on the gallery next week !!!

Comment

It depends on what you consider to be "pro Sam" stuff.

Take it up with the mods there. It has nothing to do with us. And you still sound overly paranoid. It's possible the thread was "hidden" rather than deleted and the mods, as I said, would know more about that than we would. Instead of confronting them publically on the board, try PM'ing or emailing them.

Talk to several of them. That way, unless they're all in cahoots, one of them might know something. And NO I am NOT suggesting that it's a conspiracy.

Besides, if you end up talking to the one who is responsible (IF it's human action and not comp glitches) they may be willing to hash it out in privacy, off the boards.

And in case I forgot to say it, this really isn't appropriate to be discussed here. What happens on other boards STAYS on other boards. I'm staying as out of it as I can.

Comment

Believe me I dont want to drag you into it - I just wanted and needed some calm rational suggestions for further action - cos I dont want to invest energy in a hunt for the offender unless it becomes absolutely necessary!

Seriously suggestions such as those you gave me were what I wanted
                            and I thank you for making them?

I appreciate you being willing to suggest it at all

I needed the reality fix!!!

I'm happy to have the thread ended or closed if you want that ?

I certainly dont want whoever to have the satisfaction of making me look paranoid to gloat over

A final message to the Whoever cybertroll - trying to make me paranoid doesnt really work - I just go into analytic mode and run around asking tech QS trying to sort out what happened?

If anyone has had similar problems and would like to share solutions please email me off the board !!!

Comment

Beggin' your pardon, but from the sound of it, no one has to try and make you paranoid.

If the topic could move away from specifics and deal with general feelings of paranoia and persecution, that might work a bit better.

I don't necessarily think anyone is out to get me (except the squirrels) but I know that I tend to take comments against my beliefs/opinions VERY personally. Even if things aren't directed specifically at me, if they attack something or someone I believe in, it makes me upset. I see my beliefs as an extension of myself, so if you (general you) say that Luke is a stupid, meaningless waste of space, you may mean it as just a generic comment on a blink character, I see it as you implying that there's something wrong with ME for liking Luke.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinions (a fact I wish more people would remember), and I know that mileage may vary, but that's just the way my mind works.

Of course, Luke is probably a special case. But for a more generic example, there are those in fandom who seem to be of the opinion that "If you don't like the show, turn the TV off and get over it!" Fortunately, they're in the minority. Or, at least, those who VOCALIZE such thoughts are in the minority, but as someone who HAS turned off the TV in regards to Stargate, I can't help but take it a little personally when someone implies that I don't have a right to post to a Stargate board just because I don't watch the show anymore. I'm still a fan, even if I don't like the current direction of the show and it isn't as if I'm running around saying "STARGAT SUXX!!! UR LOOSERS!!"

But I'm wandering off topic. I guess I'd like to know if anyone else tends to do the same sort of thing: takes general statements personally. Actually, I know for a fact that people do that... I just wonder if anyone's willing to admit it.

As for general paranoia... I was a strange child. Strange and paranoid. I made a set of fingerprint cards for my parents in case anything happened to me. And at the tender age of... six, maybe, I went to see a production of Hansel & Gretel which used a real gingerbread house. At the end of the show, they invited all the kids up on stage to eat it. I refused to go because I knew the witch had poisoned it before she died. Strange, strange child. And as some of you know, I haven't changed much.

Anyone else done anything weird and paranoid?

Comment

Working...
                              X