This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Materials

I'm trying to understand the different attributes of the various important materials in the Stargate universe. The ones I really want info on are Naquadah and Trinium with their strength comparison to Steel.

But, now...for some questions that have to do with materials and some that don't.

Where do Naquadah and Trinium fit into the Periodic Table of Elements?

Why isn't there any antimatter engines? I mean, antimatter reactions produce 100% energy, that would be more powerful than even the Asgard Nuetrino-Ion engines.

Is Trinium naturally found on Earth?

For the ship, the O'neil, what were the three metal/material combinations that the Asgard mentioned?

How can a Stargate be destroyed using that Mark IIV thing when it instantly turns like...anything into energy?

Originally posted by Myst_Lore
    I'm trying to understand the different attributes of the various important materials in the Stargate universe. The ones I really want info on are Naquadah and Trinium with their strength comparison to Steel.

But, now...for some questions that have to do with materials and some that don't.

Where do Naquadah and Trinium fit into the Periodic Table of Elements?
    Somewhere in the Island of Stability.

Why isn't there any antimatter engines? I mean, antimatter reactions produce 100% energy, that would be more powerful than even the Asgard Nuetrino-Ion engines.
    Depends on how much antimatter you were annihilating with matter, wouldn't it? I mean, a single Asgard Neutrino-Ion Generator puts out "1 billion kilojoules per second" according to Thor in Nemesis, which would mean 4 of them would put out 4 tera watts of power. That's slightly more than the entire power useage of the United States in 2001, and that's just one Asgard ship.

Is Trinium naturally found on Earth?
    No. Apparently their only supply of Trinium comes from PXY-887.

For the ship, the O'neil, what were the three metal/material combinations that the Asgard mentioned?
    Carbon, Naquadah and Trinium.

How can a Stargate be destroyed using that Mark IIV thing when it instantly turns like...anything into energy?
    The gate itself would be vaporized, so the wormhole woundn't have any way of keeping itself open.
    The only reason it didn't work in Beachhead was due to the prior protecting the gate.
    Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

where did you get your info on the USA's energy consumption?? and has it got info on other countries??
      The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
        where did you get your info on the USA's energy consumption?? and has it got info on other countries??
        You can go here if you want http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/index.html although the information isn't always up-to-date (i.e. for America it gives 2002 energy info).
        "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Accidental double post, my bad, I have to learn not to click the send message button so many times.

Comment

Thank you so much for the info you have presented me with. But is there any chance you can give the me the strengths of Naquadah and Trinium compared to steel? Also, one added question. Do Naquadah or Naquadria reactors give off any bi-product that isn't translated into energy? Like how coal gives off CO2.

As for the antimatter proposal. I have been tweaking with an engine design for quite some time. It works out like this:

[Any fusion or reaction that gives off a stable bi-product]
            (Cupling to direct power to ship) (Bi-product to main reactor)
            [Antimatter reactor. Takes the bi-products of the matter and antimatter and collides it producing 100% energy compared to the about 1% energy given off by normal fusion. The engine is encased by Naquadah were the radiation and heat given off by the reaction is transferred into energy and supplied into a energy resevior to power Sub Light drives and Hyperdrives.]
            (cuplings) (Anti-Bi-Prodcut to main reactor)
            [Any fusion or reaction that gives off a stable anti-bi-product]

A good choice for the fusion reactors that power the antimatter reactor is a normal Duetrium reactor or any fuel that can give off more power. The only problem would be to create the anti-versions of whatever isotope your using. I'm sure the Asgard can help with that.

Comment

Trinium is 100 times stronger than steel i believe and naquada 30 to 40 times stronger though that is just speculation.
              No bi-product for a naquada/naquadria reactor has been mentioned in the show but there is a likelhood that it is a neglidable(sp?) amount.
              I do not now much about anti-matter, so all i can say about youre reactor is good luck.How would you produce that much antimatter? I heard it was quite difficult to make by modern standards.
              Rimmer: "What's this? Learning drugs? They're illegal, matey! Where did you get them? I'm afraid you're in very serious, grave, deep trouble, Lister. Where did you get them? I want names, I want places, I want dates."
              Lister: "Arnold Rimmer, his locker, this morning."
              - Rimmer and Lister, Balance of Power from Red Dwarf

Ambassador: I hate you English. With your boring trousers and your shiny toilet paper and your ridiculous preconceptions that Frenchmen are great lovers. I'm French and I'm hung like a baby carrot and a couple of petits pois.
              - Nob and Nobility from Blackadder

Comment

If Jarnin is correct, in saying that the Asgard Neutrino-Ion Engines release one billion kilojoules per second, then I have calculated that the same amount of energy that the Asgard Neutrino-Ion Engines release in one second could be equaled with a combination of 6.6712819039630409915342894985 kilograms of matter and 6.6712819039630409915342894985 kilograms of antimatter. I have calculated that one billion kilojoules of energy can be released from 13.342563807926081983068578997 kilograms of matter.

Owen Macri

Comment

From what I have read, one kilogram equals 89,875,517,873,681.77 kilojoules so I would think it would take less than that to get the energy needed to the asgard engines. Now before anyone complains, I am not saying what I read is right, it is just what I have read.
                  "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                    If Jarnin is correct, in saying that the Asgard Neutrino-Ion Engines release one billion kilojoules per second, then I have calculated that the same amount of energy that the Asgard Neutrino-Ion Engines release in one second could be equaled with a combination of 6.6712819039630409915342894985 kilograms of matter and 6.6712819039630409915342894985 kilograms of antimatter. I have calculated that one billion kilojoules of energy can be released from 13.342563807926081983068578997 kilograms of matter.

Owen Macri
                    My calculations have you out by quite a bit Owen.

c^2 = 299,792,458 (m/s) * 299,792,458 (m/s) = 89,875,517,873,681,764 (joules)

1,000,000,000,000 = One Billion Kilojoules

89,875,517,873,681,764 / 1,000,000,000,000 = seconds per kilo at 100% efficiency

-> 89875.517873681764 seconds
                    -> 24.97 hours.

Or approximately 1 day, 58 minutes per kilo of matter/antimatter.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Sorry, it was late when I did those, and I cannot remember if I squared the velocity of light. I have a feeling I don't. I realized that, this morning after I woke up.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                      X