• Show
Clear All

Absolution (120)

ABSOLUTION

Episode: 1.20
    Original Air Date: May 12, 2005
    Story by Joe Hodkiss
    Teleplay by Alex Rubit

As Sivok claims that he's willing to help Colonel Grant and his team find the Ancient city Ultera before the Draque do, Grant logically doesn't trust the Draque Commander. However, right after speaking to Sivok the Colonel is visited by an old acquaintance, who tells him that listening to Sivok is his only chance of finding Ultera on time.

Visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage to download this episode, then stop back here for discussion.
    Outstanding
    27.27%
    Good
    45.45%
    Fair
    9.09%
    Poor
    9.09%
    Terrible
    9.09%
    Click on banner to visit the Stargate: Horizon homepage.

I really liked this episode, because it was an episode that was as much about Col' Grant's development as it was Sivok's. It was a really cool episode that really kept me guessing as to whether or not Sivok's intentions were good and pure or whether he was making some hidden agenda. It was great to see this slight bond that starts to form between Grant and Sivok as each character tries to figure out what he has to do in order to fulfill his destiny. This episode also had some great fights towards the end of it. It was a really enjoyable episode.
    Sheppard: ..."You guys do have names, right?"
    ..."Let me guess ... Steve?"
    <He was cool..for a Wraith!>

Comment

Good episode.

Not totally sure why, it might just be the way my brain works after so many years of X-Files, 24 and Lost, but at some point the question "Are the Nebulan the Furlings?" entered my mind...

Comment

Liked this one. Still think Sivok is going to betray us, but maybe not I guess we'll see
        Have A Nice Freakin Day!

Comment

Blimey, you're really powering through those episodes...

Comment

LOL lot's of down time at work today.
            Have A Nice Freakin Day!

Comment

Originally posted by Naonak
              Good episode.

Not totally sure why, it might just be the way my brain works after so many years of X-Files, 24 and Lost, but at some point the question "Are the Nebulan the Furlings?" entered my mind...
              The Furlings? Hmmm.

You do have to wonder, just how could the Nebulan Woman have used the term "fifth race," the exact same term the Asgard used in the episode "The Fifth Race?" Is this all just a coincidence. Or is there more behind it?

Is it possible that the Asgard, having been a part of the four race alliance, knew the Nebulan at some point? If so, how is that possible? And why did the Asgard never tell us anything about that? Granted, why should they?

But if the Asgard know the Nebulan, and they both tend to use the same terms, what does that mean for us? Does it mean that the writer of the episode was just trying to come up with a really cool reference to the SG-1 episode "The Fifth Race," the episode which kind of was the inspiration for Horizon. Or was there more behind it? Something really subtle which most people might have not given too much though at first, but which will pay off at some point later in the series?

Will we ever pick up on this mystery again? If yes, when will that be? Or is this something we'll never get back to, and leave you in the dark about? If that's the case, then why would we be so cruel?

Or is it possible that I'm just trying to confuse everyone by asking questions, delivering a possible answer, and then raising a new question? If yes, why would I do such a thing? Or do you think that this post of mine really does contain some kind of hidden clues and/or hints? If yes, just what exactly are they? And how should they be interpreted?

Oh yeah, and... glad you liked the episode.

Comment

Originally posted by McKay_help_us
                Liked this one. Still think Sivok is going to betray us, but maybe not I guess we'll see
                One thing's for sure. It might really be impossible to predict just what Sivok will do next.

Glad you liked the episode too. I think everyone was very happy about and fond of Sivok's development toward the end of the season. With this episode, he's really come a long way from the pilot, where he really started off as a typical, kind of two-dimensional bad guy. With this episode I think he's turned into perhaps one of the most complex characters of the series actually.

Comment

Alex has a knack for instilling confusion into the minds of others.

Sivok has indeed become a great character. As far as his future as a character, who knows? Does he die honorably in battle against the Enoly? Seems like a Sivok thing to do, but wouldn't that be wasted potential in the character? So maybe he remains on the side of good... But he does have past experience with evil and what not, so... Does he perhaps turn evil? But that would be expected of him.

Oh well, only time will tell.

You are really blowing through these, though.
                  Beyond the Horizon Lies the Gateway to a New Galaxy
                  Stargate Horizon, Co-Executive Producer
                  Latest Episode: 4.06 - "Eden"
                  Stargate Destiny, Fan
                  Latest Episode: 1.20 - "Alliances, Part One"

Comment

Review

Everyone that told me that the series really takes off after "The Enoly" was right, "Absolution" is another great episode.

Loved the Chase/Grant scene at the start. This series is getting very good at continuity. You could easily imagine another series just repairing the station in the space of one episode, but they're still working on it, showing how bad the Enoly hurt them.

Sivok's return is very much a welcome one, I wondered how long it would be before he showed up again. Trust is a big theme in SGH and again Grant is given the trust decision, one that he has gotten wrong a few times.

The Nebulons returning was another nice point, further confusing whether they're good guys or another set of bad guys, or even some super-complicated plan in which they're working with the Sentinels all along. Though, as someone else already suggested, at one point I just suddenly thought "Furlings!"

Sivok is a great character, is he good is he still bad? The ambiguity makes him fascinating. He certainly raises some interesting philosophical questions. I did wonder how his info is so up-to-date. I couldn't put my finger on it but something felt off about the information he provided.

David's gate missiles were cool. The action in this episode overall was really good.

A very good episode, with good character development, good action, and leaves more questions that are building towards the season finale.
                    I'm A Leaf On The Wind...Watch How I Soar

Comment

Jelgate's Two Cents
                      I don't know why but something just didn't feel right about this episode. Oh, wait I know the evening on the Draque planet was extended far too long. I also felt that the it was a bit corney about Sivok pretending to work for the Draque. It seemes kind of werid that an Enloy blast could remove the genetic tampering that the Ascenadants had put on the Draque. Now that that the bad is over, lets get to the good. I did enjoy the continuation on the look for the city Ultera and more into the depth of the Nebulan.
                      Questions
                      1) Why did the Nebulan call them the Fifth Race consider Thor called us the 5th race in Unending.
                      Favorite Quote
                      Grant:I think that in each and every of one of us lays the potential for evil, but also the potential for good.
                      Originally posted by aretood2
                      Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                      X