PDA

View Full Version : another "dual-use actor"?? SPOILERS "HOME"

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 06:09 AM
Did you guys see the new preview pics of Atlantis' episode called HOME?

It seems to me that its NARIM who's sitting on Earth talking to somebody. Now the preview gives some doubt as to whether or not the events are 'real' (ie "things aren't what they seem") so perhaps the whole thing is a fantasy or some mind-control thingy (which while old, might be cool) and so the fantasy could include Narim or the Tollans -- or maybe this is just another in-your-face recasting of an actor in a different role.

If that's what it is, its the most blatant one yet, I think. Second maybe only to having Don S Davis come back as a Jaffa or something.

What do you guys think?

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 06:11 AM
http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/108_02.shtml

That's the pic I'm talking about. Is Narim Dr. Weir's hubby???

Its gotta be a dual-use actor thing going on here.

Ugly Pig
July 1st, 2004, 06:17 AM
Yeah, it's the same guy playing a different character. It's not Narim returning. I kind of wish they wouldn't cast actors who have already played easily recognized recurring characters, but what are you gonna do...

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 06:22 AM
yeah, I mean -- I'm sure Gate-watchers have an above-average sense of imagination, but its really asking a lot of your audience to suspend their disbelief FIRST -- in space aliens, and then SECOND -- in the fact that one person can be two people.

Sheesh.

Aren't there any more good actors hanging around Vancouver??

shinyredpants
July 1st, 2004, 06:27 AM
yeah, I mean -- I'm sure Gate-watchers have an above-average sense of imagination, but its really asking a lot of your audience to suspend their disbelief FIRST -- in space aliens, and then SECOND -- in the fact that one person can be two people.

Sheesh.

Aren't there any more good actors hanging around Vancouver??

wait...wait..why is hammond in there?!?!?!

in the episode...

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 06:35 AM
Hammond is there because supposedly the Atlantis team gets back to Earth. So he must be the SG-1 cast member who gets to make the cross-over appearance.

Again, the spoilers hint pretty heavily that this might be a 'reset button' episode, in my opinion.

shockwave
July 1st, 2004, 06:40 AM
Narim is already the second recycled SG-1 actor, they've also casted Lt. Elliot (proving ground, summit, last stand) as Keras in Childhoods End

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 06:41 AM
I know, its just that Lt. Elliot didn't seem to me to be as big a character to recycle as Narim. I guess I just liked Narim a lot. Whatever.

I do hope they don't try to give us Don S Davis as a Jaffa though.

Iskandra
July 1st, 2004, 06:55 AM
I know, its just that Lt. Elliot didn't seem to me to be as big a character to recycle as Narim. I guess I just liked Narim a lot. Whatever.

I do hope they don't try to give us Don S Davis as a Jaffa though.
I don't mind "recycling" as long as the actor in question is not as easily recognizable as "Narim" - I have trouble remembering people's faces, and even I instantly thought "Hey, it's Narim!"

....and Hammond has successfully infiltrated a Jaffa meeting before! :D

Anubis
July 1st, 2004, 07:06 AM
It's actually quite annoying to see his face as someone else. We know him as Narim and I'll keep think he is

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 07:12 AM
not even a different hair cut or anything! I don't usually nit-pick anything having to do with SG, but man... THAT'S NARIM!

dpgiffin
July 1st, 2004, 07:16 AM
Does any one know Don S. Davis' role in Home?

And what do you mean by "reset-button episode"?

Anubis
July 1st, 2004, 07:18 AM
I agree. It's NARIM for goodness sake

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 07:34 AM
by RESET-BUTTON I just mean that it feels like they won't actually be "home" in the episode, that it might be some kind of fantasy or trick.... just inferrnig from the tag at the end of the description "all may not be what it seems".

My guess (though I hope I'm wrong, actually) is that we'll realize at the end of the episode that they didn't actually make it home and they'll still be stuck in Atlantis/Pegasus galaxy

David85
July 1st, 2004, 08:56 AM
"The episode will also see the first Atlantis appearance for Don S. Davis, who returns to his famous role of General George Hammond."

Yep looks like this episode is an AU ONE or something because we all know he isn't in charge anymore.

I really hate when they get this dual casting crap, there are 6 billion plus people on earth, find another one! I like the idea of one person equaling one charter on a franchise.

Anubis
July 1st, 2004, 08:58 AM
Glad to see the return of Hammond

Darren
July 1st, 2004, 09:41 AM
Hammond is still in charge. He's now over the S.G.C., Prometheus, Atlantis project, etc., as the head of a new "Homeworld Security" department.

David85
July 1st, 2004, 09:44 AM
He might still is in command of the Prometheus.

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 09:57 AM
Darren -- where did you hear that? Or are you speculating? It makes sesne that he'd be promoted to be in charge of all off-world dealings, which now will include the SG:A team as well as the SG teams.

TechnoBoY
July 1st, 2004, 10:44 AM
OMG! Just looked at the pics, then I was like OMG! Its Narim! Why would they recast a character that we already know well! WTF! He was in like 3 or 4 eps. Its not like some guy in costume we would never recognize.

Nostromo
July 1st, 2004, 11:15 AM
Now that is what I call, pulling a "Star Trek" on our A$$es!!! I hated it when they did it and I hate it even more when other do the same error. I mean if they have a fan based show like Stargate or Star Trek, those who watch them remember more or less the characters in them. Once they are slapped with a "Star Trek" (dead not dead/ not the same person yet the same) we loose respect for the show as it becomes pretty cheap...
I MEAN REAL CHEAP!

Don't no one tell me there isn't a hungry actor out there who needs a job, who will be able to pull it off just as well as the guy they used time and time again...

Tom Paris from Star Trek Voyager was Crushers friend in one of the Star Trek the Next Generation shows, when all of the sudden in stead of using the same character they use the same kid in the same Star Trek Universe.

Or like in Star Trek V the character St. John Talbot played by David Warner,
Portrays Talbot (ST:V), Gorkon (ST:VI), Gul Madred (TNG)
Character actor David Warner has played his share of villains, including St. John Talbot in Star Trek V: The Final Frontier, Chancellor Gorkon in Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and Gul Madred in the ST:TNG episode "Chain of Command, Part II".

Hey the list goes on and on... So...

Not too happy when people do that, unless you go and say, "HEY, I could not even recognize it was him or her". Then it is ok, like in Farscape... It took me a long time before I figured out that the voice of the Pilot in Moya was Bialar Crais! Cool stuff in Farscape!

Teal'c
July 1st, 2004, 11:27 AM
Hammond -> http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/108_10.shtml

I don't really have much of a problem with Garwin being back. I mean, how many times has Dion Johnstone been in SG-1? :P Twice without makeup! :P

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Garwin was the best actor for the part?! :P For God sake, David Hewlett was going to be playing Dr. Ingram until they started filming!!! :P

And Narim was in 3 episodes, the same as Lt. Elliot...

Teal'c
July 1st, 2004, 11:34 AM
Also, I just remembered, check the Poisoning the Well photos. Recognise Perna? (The Woman) She's Dr. Zenna Valk from Season 6's Cure :P

Anubis
July 1st, 2004, 11:46 AM
I noticed that too. However, he/she may be good for the part which I have to against point on but Narim? I guess if you start wathcing Atlantis you'll have to think differently

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 12:03 PM
I don't mind when I *notice* that its Jeffrey Combs in a Star Trek role again and again beacuse he's pretty adaptable, and he's always UNDER MAKEUP (except in the Vorta role). This strikes me as not like that at all. He's totally 'naked', and used to be a very important character. I don't care if he nailed the audition 1000%, its just sorta weak and almost disrespectful I'd say to have your audience have to 'play along' like that.

Though I'm betting he won't be playing the mush-mouthed/hush-toned man we saw him play as Narim, perhaps a saving grace as he'll 'seem' different enough (we'll see just how good an actor he is, I guess!)

KayMan2k
July 1st, 2004, 12:10 PM
Hammond -> http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/108_10.shtml

I don't really have much of a problem with Garwin being back. I mean, how many times has Dion Johnstone been in SG-1? :P Twice without makeup! :P

Did it ever occur to anyone that maybe Garwin was the best actor for the part?! :P For God sake, David Hewlett was going to be playing Dr. Ingram until they started filming!!! :P

And Narim was in 3 episodes, the same as Lt. Elliot...

I am sure he is a very good actor, but this argument is not about that. His appearence in this episode is nearly identical to his role as Narim, who is already a VERY recognizable character in the series. Unfortuntly, I don't think he should be acting in the SG universe without makeup unless it is as Narim. I am very skeptical about the episode... first he played Sam's love interest and then again with Dr. Wier? Imagination can only go so far...

Ugly Pig
July 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
Not the same thing. His "unmasked" characters were both one-offs, and with the ones with the heavy makeup you can't really tell that it's him unless you look for it. Narim was in several episodes, at one point without even a "previously-on" because it was expected that the audience would remember him!

dpgiffin
July 1st, 2004, 12:26 PM
on the Pic of Weir and Hammond.. does anyone else notice Weirs look of shock? She seems confused as to why Hammond is there, when she knows hes not in charge of the SGC directly anymore.

langdonboom
July 1st, 2004, 12:45 PM
yeah, its that shocked-look and the incongruity of Hammond back at the SGC, coupled with a few other 'shocked' looks in the pics and that hint about "all is not what it seems" that makes me think this is gonna be a dream-sequence or holo-something episode, or maybe another attempt at mind-control, etc.

Is it just me, or do other people get tired of episodes where actors are playing not their characters, but "mental projections" of something inside one person's head. There's no dramatic weight to these performances, when you know its not "them". I'm thinking of some Star Treks, I guess, but Changeling was one (though it was a good one since Daniel 'really was' there) and Grace, and I think a couple others. At least Stargate does them well (usually).

Anthro Girl
July 1st, 2004, 01:04 PM
"all is not what it seems"..."all is not what it seems"..."all is not what it seems"... Well, it never is, right? ;) I'll withold judgement on the story...

Since I don't watch much episodic television, seeing "Narim" again is a little bit of a shocker if he isn't really "Narim". OTOH, he's in SGA, not SG1. The theory is that SGA is going to pick up some new viewers who haven't necessarily seen the earlier seasons of SG1 (although with it taking up 16 hours of prime time programming on SciFi, I can't see how one could miss it! :p ) I have seen some of Garwin Sanford's other work and he is a fine actor and I'm glad to see him again.

I do remember Dana Elcar's appearance in the pilot episode of MacGyver was a totally different character (and a main one at that) than the character of Pete, who developed later in Season 1 and continued as a permanent and pivotal cast member until the end of the show. I guess the idea there is that 1) not as many people saw the pilot as eventually tuned into the series and 2) MacGyver didn't have the internet for fans to discuss, in detail, a given character and essentially keep them "alive" long after they've gone.

Anyway, that's just how I feel about it. What do you think? :D

David85
July 1st, 2004, 03:07 PM
The thing that makes be really mad is the fact he could become a regular guest star on Atlantis. He's a human with no make up and looks the same. I don't care if his chater is dead on SG-1, it's just lame. At least when Star Trek does it they are wearing tons of stuff, there is no reason for this besides the fact that TPTB are just lazy.

Ugly Pig
July 1st, 2004, 03:20 PM
At least when Star Trek does it they are wearing tons of stuff, there is no reason for this besides the fact that TPTB are just lazy.
I don't see how lazyness have anything to do with this. They probably simply thought he was the best actor for the part, and decided to disregard the fact that the character would have an exact double in the Stargate universe.

I think this is somewhat unfortunate, but I'm not gonna lose any sleep over it. And maybe, just maybe this new character will be portrayed so differently that we can forget that he used to be Narim as we're watching.

David85
July 1st, 2004, 03:37 PM
I doubtit. Six billion people and they have to cast him, seems like laziness.

Ugly Pig
July 1st, 2004, 03:45 PM

Don't be ridiculous. There aren't six billion capable actors in the world, let alone Vancouver. If TPTB when casting this role just went, "Meh, just get somebody we already have in our adress book" then yeah - they're lazy. Somehow I doubt this is the case. Who's to say the guy didn't audition along with a bunch of other actors and he happened to be the best? Or while casting the role, TPTB thought "Hey, the guy who played Narim would be perfect for this part" and gave him a call? Whatever the case, I sincirely doubt laziness had anything to do with it.

uknesvuinng
July 1st, 2004, 04:01 PM
Do you expect them to go to Cambodia and grab some kid working in a field and cast him on a show? They don't have 6 billion people to choose from, probably more like 20-50, and not even that many would show up to audition for a small appearance in new series.

Considering the crunch they went through just to get a main cast, they probably didn't go through the time-consuming efforts of holding an audition to go through the very small group of people that would actually show up to audition. So they make the logical decision of calling someone that's done the show before (so they know he'll work). Maybe they could have chosen someone else that had previously been under makeup, or simply wasn't as visible as Narim, but they didn't. And they probably have a good reason for it.

At any rate, it's science fiction, you're already accepting a TV-verse different from reality, it's not that hard to accept him as another character instead of thinking of him as an actor recast in a different role.

Nolamom
July 1st, 2004, 04:09 PM
Of course the big questions are: Does Sam know about him and that 'other' doctor? and...Where is the cat?

Roatbaum
July 1st, 2004, 05:02 PM
I am usually all about giving them leeway, tv show and all that, but I have to agree with the bulk of you. Not Narim, for cryin' out loud. He was a fairly pivotal character. Maybe all of Sam's dead boyfriends are just waiting in the wings for a second go. But, it could be a dream, or a hallucination or something.Ya never know.

Sela
July 1st, 2004, 05:22 PM
not even a different hair cut or anything! I don't usually nit-pick anything having to do with SG, but man... THAT'S NARIM!

I know what you mean. Anytime you reuse a highly recognised actor that close to the original characters he interacted with, it's gonna get sticky. Afterall, we've come a long way from The Original Star Trek when they did that all the time.

It would be different if there was some space between SG-1 & SG-Atlantis, but it's concievable that Carter could turn a corner and run into Weir kissing Narim. What are we suppose to do then? Just pretend it's not the same guy?

David85
July 1st, 2004, 05:27 PM
It would be different if there was some space between SG-1 & SG-Atlantis, but it's concievable that Carter could turn a corner and run into Weir kissing Narim. What are we suppose to do then? Just pretend it's not the same guy?

Thank you.

It's Weir's lover, that means when they figure out how to get to Earth we might see him a lot.

dpgiffin
July 1st, 2004, 05:56 PM
I remember a picture of Weir Kissing some guy though...?

sgeureka
July 1st, 2004, 11:44 PM
Okay, I don't know how big his role is going to be, but there's also the kid from 100 Days (I think) in the first picture from Childhood's End:

http://www.gateworld.net/atlantis/s1/graphics/106_01.shtml

Matt G
July 2nd, 2004, 03:41 AM
[QUOTE=Ugly Pig]Don't be ridiculous. There aren't six billion capable actors in the world, let alone Vancouver. [QUOTE]

Well maybe they should start hiring people from outside Vancouver at least! Seriously the more I think about it the more insane it sounds. Let me see...

If they had to do dual use you've got:

The guy who played Orlin
Alex Zahara(has dueled up with human roles in SG1 before and gotten away with it)
Martin Cummings(better known as Ames White in Dark Angel but guest starred as head bad guy in Forsaken)

That's just off the top of my head!

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 05:47 AM
Hey, we all know that there are never enough people who want to be actors to fill all the roles on TV and in the Movies. Its really a national and global crisis. Why can't we convince our children to take up the noble pursuit of the dramatic arts? Why are so many youngsters running from the spotlight that acting on TV and in movies provides? And what are producers going to do!? Everyone wants to grow up to be bankers and garbage men these days, and as we are seeing, its really taking its toll on our favorite TV show.

;)

susanmary_1
July 2nd, 2004, 05:48 AM
I've only just seen the photo/article on Gateworld and must admit that I will have difficulty viewing the actor as anyone else but Narim. Maybe it would be different if the character had been killed off in Stargate, but in my mind Narim is still out there somewhere fighting for the Tolan resistance and kicking Goau'ld ass! :D

shockwave
July 2nd, 2004, 05:54 AM
maybe Loki cloned Narim and hid the clone on earth :p

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 05:59 AM
yes, Loki. Maybe the Tollan are the missing link they've been looking for.

Pegosaurus
July 2nd, 2004, 06:37 AM
I have carefully avoided most of Gate World and this forum lately because no matter how hard I tried last year it was almost impossilbe to avoid Spoilers and I felt it took away so much for me. I wanted to to go inot Atlantis and season eight spoiler free, but this one jumped out at me.

Like most of you, I have no problems reusing actors who have had minor roles, or who are cast in characters that are very different, but ...

THIS IS NARIM!!!! I'm not buying it, I'm not trying to buy it, and I once again find myself insulted by TPTB that think I will.

Since this ep is in the can and can't be changed I can only say, that as far as I'm concerned, this show has already jumped the shark and it hasn't aired an Episode yet.

What a shame. I had hoped with Brad at the helm this kind of stupidity would be avoided.

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 06:46 AM
well, as much as I share your irritation, I dont think this means the show's jumped the shark.... though it may be approaching the ramp.

I'll still be watching -- though I will skip the commercials on my DVR!!

Teal'c
July 2nd, 2004, 06:55 AM
I have carefully avoided most of Gate World and this forum lately because no matter how hard I tried last year it was almost impossilbe to avoid Spoilers and I felt it took away so much for me. I wanted to to go inot Atlantis and season eight spoiler free, but this one jumped out at me.

Like most of you, I have no problems reusing actors who have had minor roles, or who are cast in characters that are very different, but ...

THIS IS NARIM!!!! I'm not buying it, I'm not trying to buy it, and I once again find myself insulted by TPTB that think I will.

Since this ep is in the can and can't be changed I can only say, that as far as I'm concerned, this show has already jumped the shark and it hasn't aired an Episode yet.

What a shame. I had hoped with Brad at the helm this kind of stupidity would be avoided.
Well, I'm seeing that soap operas aren't the only shows where people can't tell the difference between the character and the actor.

I hate to break it to you, but he ISN'T Narim! :P He's Garwin Sanford!

You have no problem accepting reuses of actors, but this you do. You know that Courtney Stevens was in three episodes of SG-1 (The same as Garwin Sanford) and is going to be in Atlantis now? Do you not mind that Weir doesn't look like Jessica Steen anymore, but instead Torri Higgonson?

What is there "to buy"? He's an actor playing a character for the first time on a show. If that insults you, I don't want to know what this post wil do to you :P

Jumped the Shark? That's the most rediculous thing I've heard. You're actually saying that Atlantis has reached it's peak, before it starts and is going to go downhill when it starts, because they cast Garwin Sanford? Well, maybe you should just not bother to watch the show then.

I'm sure, had you not been so weak willed and kept away from the spoilers, that you would not have noticed he was Garwin. Perhaps you would have sat there thinking "Hmm... he looks familiar..." and that would have been that, but I guess you'll have to not watch the show now, because you've been insulted.

I'm afraid there is only one kind of stupidity here, and it is not on the part of Brad and co.

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 07:00 AM
Its always lame when they have to reuse actors that have already portrayed a role in a PARTICULAR SHOW. Its also always lame when a show will switch characters without any mention of the switch (Darren in Bewtiched, anyone?). At least Rosanne had the good humor to make a joke of the Becky switching.

Sure, we can play along and ignore our bull**** detectors when we see a person that in the context of the fantasy the show portrays SHOULD BE a certain character, and should be recognized by people that way.... but again, its about making an extra effort to maintain the seemlessnes of the fantasy. That's the issue. We all watched old Star Trek and allowed ourselves to be swept away by bargain-basement special effects, but would you like it if Stargate went back to using optical printing and miniature models for all their space battles?? Its the same thing to me.

Don't mess with my fantasy! That's all I ask.

Anthro Girl
July 2nd, 2004, 07:37 AM

Uh, no. Laziness would have been:

HAMMOND: What's wrong, Dr. Weir?

WEIR: I miss my boyfriend.

FADE OUT

That would have been lazy. ;)

In the last few weeks, I've seen Colm Meaney in Mystery, Alaska, Con Air, The Commitments, an episode of MacGyver, an episode of Deep Space 9, and two episodes of ST:TNG - one where he is not the Transporter Chief and one where he is. (During the last one, my husband - who has watched all of the same stuff I have - said "Now, where have I seen that guy before?" :rolleyes: ) Now I understand he's to be in at least three episodes of Stargate: Atlantis? Oh, the horror of good parts going to talented actors! :p Yes, I realize that these are different shows (except for ST:TNG), but it's not like everytime I see him I think "Oh gawd, that's the pilot from Die Hard 2!" ;)

The episode hasn't even aired yet and the spoiler (which I'm sorry I read in the first place) indicates that it's bound to be hinky. I'm glad Garwin Sanford is back since I like him a lot as an actor and don't get to see him much. If they can take a nose hair clipper and make me believe it's a controller for memory recall device, then they can cast anybody they want. :D

David85
July 2nd, 2004, 08:59 AM
Why don't they just reuse the actress that plays Dr. Fraser!?! Or maybe we could get the actor that plays Sam's Dad to do a role on Atlantis too!

Maybe it will be a one time thing and they kill him off like how they always did for Sam. :D

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 09:01 AM
yeah, I really liked Terryl Rothery a lot! Let's bring her back as Sam's sister who appears all of a sudden.

shockwave
July 2nd, 2004, 09:03 AM
they could bring back that guy that replaced Daniel in season 6 in a guest role on atlantis :D

and Apophis also, certainly we've forgotten him by now

MartoufMarty
July 2nd, 2004, 12:02 PM
when i see that episode i'm just going to be thinking, 'NARIM!!!'

can't see him as someone else. he's always gonna be Narim in my eyes.

Shipperahoy
July 2nd, 2004, 01:26 PM
I'm usually not very nitpicky when it comes to Stargate. My feeling usually is that as long as I'm entertained than I can overlook any inconsistencies but I have to admit the recycling of actors is the one thing that bugs me. Just because I spend the entire episode either going "I know I've seen him/her before" and then I spend the entire episode racking my brain trying to remember which episode. Or if it's someone like Narim who is oh so very easily recognizable I'll spend the whole episode going "But that's Narim!".

I'm glad that it doesn't seem to bother a lot of people. I wish I could just make myself forget that it's the guy that played Narim when I watch that episode. Who knows though. Maybe I'll watch the episode and love it and it will end up being one of my favorites. I'll just have to wait and see.

TechnoBoY
July 2nd, 2004, 03:55 PM
If they had to pick somebody from SG1 already I just wished they would pick somebody we dont know as much. I hope it wont bother me when I watch but it probably will. They always have Jaffa extras and stuff. There has to be more actors in Vancouver to choose!

Ugly Pig
July 2nd, 2004, 04:20 PM
They always have Jaffa extras and stuff. There has to be more actors in Vancouver to choose!
Jaffa are clones! :D

Torley
July 2nd, 2004, 10:46 PM
Its always lame when they have to reuse actors that have already portrayed a role in a PARTICULAR SHOW. Its also always lame when a show will switch characters without any mention of the switch (Darren in Bewtiched, anyone?). At least Rosanne had the good humor to make a joke of the Becky switching.

Ah, but there are terribly good examples that prove the exception to the rule! One of them is Jeffrey Combs, who has portrayed a small handful of characters on Trek WONDERFULLY. Oh, and count in Vaughn Armstrong too! He's all over Trek like cuteness on a kitten.

So it depends on the actor in question... some actors are quite versatile, and obviously, on a sci-fi show, makeup helps. :)

I'm for bringing Dr. Frasier back through an alternate reality. Teryl Rothery is such a loveable doctor. YES, the SG-1 mainverse's doc died meaning something, so this doesn't diminish her at all. After all, it is really a different character. It's *NOT* implausible within the show's premise at all. Would even make sense to have her guest for a few more episodes, not as a doctor but in some other role (as the alt-Frasier isn't very accurate with a syringe!) :D

Pegosaurus
July 4th, 2004, 04:31 PM
As I've said, I have no problem with reusing actors it's just that Garwin Sanford played a LARGE part, several times and with that, I will have trouble.

And yes I can tell the actor from their parts. I have seen Garwin in several other shows, noted "That's Narim!" and went on to enjoy his work. But those shows weren't in the same franchise.

It's a tribute to Garwin that he did such a good job bringing Narim to life that some of use are having problems with this.

And yes, I guess what upsets me the most is that I really feel that TPTB are insulting my intelligence, or assuming that I'll forgive them anything, or can't be bothered to do it right, or what ever. I just feel cheated.

David85
July 4th, 2004, 05:55 PM
They figured "New show new person, same actors". I would be like using Sam or Jack down the road in some Stargate spinoff, we aren't that dumb. Captain Kirk is Captain Kirk on all Star Trek shows.

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 09:20 PM
I think the produces want it to feel like Atlantis isn't just a spin-off... they are actually interconnected to SG-1.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 09:42 PM
They say everyone has a twin... ;)

And like I like to say, when in doubt:

MULTIVERSE :)

shockwave
July 9th, 2004, 01:55 AM
somehow, I feel they're also going to recycle martouf :S

VirtualCLD
July 9th, 2004, 07:54 AM
A little old but,

In the last few weeks, I've seen Colm Meaney in Mystery, Alaska, Con Air, The Commitments, an episode of MacGyver, an episode of Deep Space 9, and two episodes of ST:TNG - one where he is not the Transporter Chief and one where he is.

I'm suprised you only saw him in one episode in DS9 because he's a main character who shows up in almost every episode and his name is in the opening credits. Plus, the character in TNG and DS9 is the same exact character and therefore, the actor is playing the same role. He had a slightly recurring role in TNG, but he got the opportunity to play a main character in DS9 so the Startrek PTB wrote in a transfer of duty from the Enterprise to DS9 for O'Brian.

Back on topic:

I admit it's a little odd to do this and can throw your disbelief for a loop, but it's no different than watching a play with only four actors and 12 roles. So each actor plays a different character, but the audience can suspend their disbelief (or not) based on the actors' performance. (Although theatre is often presentational and TV is more representational.) I will, like many others, reserve judgement untill I see the show.

As for not enough actors, about 10% of actors are employed (as actors) at any given time, so there should be plenty, but if the actor who played Narim liked the experience and wanted to come back, and if the TPTB also liked him, then it's not unreasonable to see him return to play a new role. (If they're really desperate for actors for a small walk-on role, I'd me more than willing to volunteer :) but that's not the case and that's not how it works).

So the dual role irks me a bit, but it's no big deal, I can live with it.... mainly cause I have no choice.

sshspooky
July 9th, 2004, 12:34 PM
i can't believe people are so bothered about this. the actor was good, he can play different roles, he can play this one. oh wow two characters look similar, why does that matter again? personally i think the makeup department have done a good job to make him look different enough, and the actor himself with how he plays the role and his movement on the screen and the voice he gives the character is what will make this character seperate.

stop going mental because the PTB decided to cast an 'already proven in this franchise' good actor another role to play. you should look forward to seeing the actor on our screens again.

Stargate Agent
July 10th, 2004, 05:15 PM
Yea there is nothing wrong with the guy coming back to play a different person. Although it is a little annoying because you get used to seeing an actor play a certain person and what him to stay that way.

I really hope Narim comes back in SG-1 the Tollans were a very cool race I hope they didn't get wiped out!!

Ugly Pig
July 10th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I really hope Narim comes back in SG-1 the Tollans were a very cool race I hope they didn't get wiped out!!
I have a feeling that the actor being cast in a different role is a sure sign that Narim isn't coming back. Wouldn't want to confuse the new viewers, you know... (Better to just confuse the old ones!) :D

Lugal
July 11th, 2004, 05:14 PM
Did you guys see the new preview pics of Atlantis' episode called HOME?

It seems to me that its NARIM who's sitting on Earth talking to somebody. Now the preview gives some doubt as to whether or not the events are 'real' (ie "things aren't what they seem") so perhaps the whole thing is a fantasy or some mind-control thingy (which while old, might be cool) and so the fantasy could include Narim or the Tollans -- or maybe this is just another in-your-face recasting of an actor in a different role.

If that's what it is, its the most blatant one yet, I think. Second maybe only to having Don S Davis come back as a Jaffa or something.

What do you guys think?

So they can have 2 Dr. Weirs but they have to recast Narim as her husband? :rolleyes:

shockwave
July 12th, 2004, 01:27 AM
actually her ex-boyfriend, I think

SGTLopez
July 12th, 2004, 02:10 PM
Well, I'm seeing that soap operas aren't the only shows where people can't tell the difference between the character and the actor.

I hate to break it to you, but he ISN'T Narim! :P He's Garwin Sanford!

You have no problem accepting reuses of actors, but this you do. You know that Courtney Stevens was in three episodes of SG-1 (The same as Garwin Sanford) and is going to be in Atlantis now? Do you not mind that Weir doesn't look like Jessica Steen anymore, but instead Torri Higgonson?

What is there "to buy"? He's an actor playing a character for the first time on a show. If that insults you, I don't want to know what this post wil do to you :P

Jumped the Shark? That's the most rediculous thing I've heard. You're actually saying that Atlantis has reached it's peak, before it starts and is going to go downhill when it starts, because they cast Garwin Sanford? Well, maybe you should just not bother to watch the show then.

I'm sure, had you not been so weak willed and kept away from the spoilers, that you would not have noticed he was Garwin. Perhaps you would have sat there thinking "Hmm... he looks familiar..." and that would have been that, but I guess you'll have to not watch the show now, because you've been insulted.

I'm afraid there is only one kind of stupidity here, and it is not on the part of Brad and co.

Oh that made my day. http://www.freebmw.net/obyone/Emoticons_Threads/Forum%20Pics/01%20-%20Smilies/lol.gif

greytop
July 21st, 2004, 06:01 PM
How about Shane Meier? He played Garan in 100 Days. He is in the Atlantis ep. Childhood's End, playing Neleus.

Hohenzollern
July 21st, 2004, 09:00 PM
That's him, also in Rising watching video of Dr Weir, etc.

Kinda bugs me...but he changed his voice somewhat from teh Narim character. Eh...what ya gonna do.

Kelso
July 21st, 2004, 11:13 PM
on the Pic of Weir and Hammond.. does anyone else notice Weirs look of shock? She seems confused as to why Hammond is there, when she knows hes not in charge of the SGC directly anymore.

I don't know why she would be shocked. Gen. Hammond clearly has three stars in that pic, so it's unlikely that he is commanding the SGC. He would naturally be present there from time to time in his new role with Homeworld Security.

Oh, and I'm glad that the Narim actor is back. I liked him, and am ready to see him tackle a new character in the Stargate Universe. Anyone else see him in the pilot of 'The 4400' on USA?

langdonboom
July 22nd, 2004, 06:25 AM
Uh, Teal'c, I'm not saying I don't realize that Garwin Sanford isn't "really" Narim, thank you very much.

I'm just saying re-using an actor that has already been cast (in a show where that isn't a component like SNL or something) it asks the audience to suspend their disbelief even further than actually neccesary in creating a fanatasy world. So it takes responsiblity off the creators and puts it onto the fans. That's why it sucks, and makes people like me pissy about it. Not because I don't think Garwin Sanford can't play any other role ever -- in fact I was glad to see him in the 4400 on USA! But how'd you like it if they cast RDA as the lost Emporor of Atlantis or something. So its not black-and-white, its on a continuum.

Also I was dissapointed beacuse I would have liked to see the Tollan back, which his re-casting makes doubtful.

Tok'Ra Hostess
July 22nd, 2004, 06:44 AM
So it takes responsiblity off the creators and puts it onto the fans.

Yes, it's a burden, but one I am willing to bear. ;)
Garwin played a Tollan, now he's playing a human from Earth. Makeup isn't the only thing that can hide an actor's face. I say give the guy a chance to convince us that he's some guy who looks a lot like some other guy we once knew.

But how'd you like it if they cast RDA as the lost Emporor of Atlantis or something.

Ooh! Ooh! I'd love that! That would be cool! :D :D :D

Also I was dissapointed beacuse I would have liked to see the Tollan back, which his re-casting makes doubtful.

Ah, but this is sci-fi; maybe Narim will come back, and he and Sam and Weir and the new guy that looks a lot like Narim will have some adventure together. :D

VirtualCLD
July 22nd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Again, not seeing the problem here with an actor playing two roles. This is what an actor does, they act (now there's a leap of logic)! If they could only play one role, them they wouldn't be much of an actor, now would they? This is done in theatre all of the time, even in the SAME performance, if necessary (as I mentioned earlier). The fact that he changed his voice a bit is evidence that he is playing a different character. It should help any viewers who saw him as Narim be able to distinguish between the two characters. I highly doubt the two characters would have the same accents and habbits, so the actor is obviously doing his best to portray them differently.

langdonboom
July 22nd, 2004, 07:02 AM
But this is not repetory theater, this is TV. Much different.

I have to say, (as I think I posted somewhere else) that it was to Garwin's great credit that the way he held himself, spoke, sat, were all very non-Narim, and showed him to be the capable actor that he is. So it wasn't such a big deal. But there are plenty of other "fan burdens" to carry (uh, space ships?) that doing this dual-use thing just seemed sorta.... ungood. But I'm over it.

So now what do we talk about?