This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Humans?

This has been bugging me ever since I thought of it in the shower this morning. Why would the Ancients fly to another galaxy....and seed human life instead of their own? It seems like a lot of trouble to go through, you know, seeding a whole other race, than just making Ancient babies everywhere. So now you've got this race who has spread humans around the universe, which I'd say is a very big influence in our "natural" development. But then when they ascend, they aren't allowed to be involved anymore. It just seems wierd.
    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

yes thats been buggin me aswell like when they come to the milyk way they come to spread life and they left when there was none then the humans evolved millions of years later...wierd stuff

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Humans are the 2nd evolution of the ancients and the ancients seeded life in the MW and the PG around the time humans were supposed to start evolving in the SG universe.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ColdZero
        This has been bugging me ever since I thought of it in the shower this morning. Why would the Ancients fly to another galaxy....and seed human life instead of their own? It seems like a lot of trouble to go through, you know, seeding a whole other race, than just making Ancient babies everywhere. So now you've got this race who has spread humans around the universe, which I'd say is a very big influence in our "natural" development. But then when they ascend, they aren't allowed to be involved anymore. It just seems wierd.
        Call me stupid, I will turn and look in response, but…

Where they not originally humanoid before their ascension?

Are we not actually ‘babies’ of the ancients? Would it not natural for a higher life form to wish to seed the universe with its ‘young’ that some day they may learn how to ascend?

Is it not so much that they ‘aren’t allowed to be involved’ as they ‘choose not to be’ (though they have on exception). Much as if ‘God’ were to constantly be overtly intervening in our lives after giving us free will?

“the very young do not always do as they are told”

Feel free to correct any of my misinterpretation of the universe.
        Help! I'm standing up and I can't fall down!

"Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." (PB)

Comment

Originally posted by ColdZero
          I always thought the primary reason Ancients seeded humans is so that they wouldn't die off from the plaque.

It could be that ancients has very long life span but very low reproduction rate, which means they cannot fight a disease very well. Humans can repopulate very fast, makin our survival rate against plaque much higher.

Or perhaps all of the ancients are plaque carriers, even if they didn't die from it, and they needed to start from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by Dimeron
            I always thought the primary reason Ancients seeded humans is so that they wouldn't die off from the plaque.

It could be that ancients has very long life span but very low reproduction rate, which means they cannot fight a disease very well. Humans can repopulate very fast, makin our survival rate against plaque much higher.

Or perhaps all of the ancients are plaque carriers, even if they didn't die from it, and they needed to start from scratch.
            The last bit was stated by anubis in threads I think as being the reason life was seeded again in the MW by the ancients. Don't know if that applies to the PG as well.
            sigpic

Comment

Just any idea but it may just be convienience. Cause ancients re-seeded life in the MW right. But there is evidence on earth proofing we did evolve here. So we could be a "naturally" occuring race from wotever life was reseeded on the earth.

Now when atlantis left maybe we had started to evolve (I can't remember of the top of my head when dinosaurs died and humans started evolving, so this may throw my idea right out the window), therefore maybe the ancients notcied us evolving, and realised our potential. Therefore they seeded that life in the PG, as that was wot was evolving on earth when they left. (I have no idea if this makes sense :s) That would explain why there are humans in the PG. As the ancients took us with them, as they thought the pegasus galaxy was void of life. After all the ancients didn't spread humans around the MW, the gou'ald did that, we did only evolve on earth.

Ok course the problem I have with all this anyway is in "Before I sleep" why was jonas surprised that we were the second evolution of their form. After all regardless of why they choose humans, they'd just spread us round the bloody pegasus galaxy. You'd have thought they's have looked at the life they created and gone "Hmm they look surprisingly like us!, just a thought.

Of course this doesn't explain humans in the ori galaxy, just luck I suppose!

Comment

Perhaps the plague had something to do with it; humans perhaps being more resistant, or at least curable? That answer probably skews the timeline, but it's all I've got.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

Originally posted by tomchris45
                  Just any idea but it may just be convienience. Cause ancients re-seeded life in the MW right. But there is evidence on earth proofing we did evolve here. So we could be a "naturally" occuring race from wotever life was reseeded on the earth.

Now when atlantis left maybe we had started to evolve (I can't remember of the top of my head when dinosaurs died and humans started evolving, so this may throw my idea right out the window), therefore maybe the ancients notcied us evolving, and realised our potential. Therefore they seeded that life in the PG, as that was wot was evolving on earth when they left. (I have no idea if this makes sense :s) That would explain why there are humans in the PG. As the ancients took us with them, as they thought the pegasus galaxy was void of life. After all the ancients didn't spread humans around the MW, the gou'ald did that, we did only evolve on earth.

Ok course the problem I have with all this anyway is in "Before I sleep" why was jonas surprised that we were the second evolution of their form. After all regardless of why they choose humans, they'd just spread us round the bloody pegasus galaxy. You'd have thought they's have looked at the life they created and gone "Hmm they look surprisingly like us!, just a thought.

Of course this doesn't explain humans in the ori galaxy, just luck I suppose!
                  The ancients existed for millions of yrs, fitting into the timeline (humans broke from monkeys like 4 million yrs ago). They used the device in threads to produce life in the MW and Aunbis states that was done after everything (not the ancients) were wiped out by the plague. They picked humans and we look like them because we are them. As you said we are the 2nd evolution of the ancients. There is probably a similar device in the PG. As for Jonas in before I sleep, who was he? You mean Janus? He wasn't suprised, he was the one that said it.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dr Weir
                    Humans are the 2nd evolution of the ancients and the ancients seeded life in the MW and the PG around the time humans were supposed to start evolving in the SG universe.
                    exactly....they didnt sead in this galaxy they left it for another

Mckay: Size doesnt matter

Sheppard:thats a myth

I like farris wheels,college football and a good cup of tea.

Comment

Pegasus galaxy humans were seeded to preserve the ancients image. The Milky Way(earth) humans "naturally" evolve without the ancients noticing at all until Dr. Weir went back in time(before i sleep) which the ancients were very surprise.

Comment

Plague resistant life forms I would not argue with, but why life forms that would take 4 million plus years to evolve to the point humans are at in SGA? Why not life that would evolve into Ancients in mere hundred or thousands after the plague danger had passed. Are these goals mutually exclusive? You wouldn't think it beyond their technological abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeStrain
                          Pegasus galaxy humans were seeded to preserve the ancients image. The Milky Way(earth) humans "naturally" evolve without the ancients noticing at all until Dr. Weir went back in time(before i sleep) which the ancients were very surprise.
                          in the stargate universe humans on earth and in the milkyway were created by the ancients to be the 2nd evolution of ancients, we did not evolve on earth(in the stargate universe anyway )
                          The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Well, tptb had to explain human life SOMEHOW!! (Tee-hee! )

But, really, we are the 2nd evolution of the Ancients. Afterall, what were the Ancients before ascension but advanced humans (Ayiana in "Frozen"). As we continue to evolve, we, too, can become advanced humans!! JMHO
                            Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

The SG timeline:

The plague strikes the milky way between 10 - 5 million years ago. This Decimates the Ancient empire, most die or ascend

Some Ancients left the MW for Pegasus, finding no life they start seeding human life, eventually defeated by the wraith

Atleast a few Ancients survive in the MW and build the "weapon" at Da'Kara. They seed life throughout the MW,but they themselves die out

As to why humans instead of Ancients, well I can think of 2 reasons. According to the Ancient hologram in "Rising", they seeded humans so they could grow and in time exchange "friendship and knowledge" this seems to imply that human life was kind of an experiment in evolution, to give life a fresh start and see what the humans would become. The second more practical reason is that humans breed like rabbits and it wouldn't take long for a significant population to grow.

BTW what do you think "seeding life" involved, IMO itwas something like the monoliths in 2001:A Space Odyssey - "helping" along evolution.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X