PDA

View Full Version : AMAZING Atlantis Advertising!!!

KayMan2k
June 30th, 2004, 08:32 PM
I have been very pleased with SciFi's advertisements for SG-1 Season Eight and Atlantis Season One. I have been enjoying the humurous spins and not so much just showing clips. From the guy reaching into his refrigerator and seeing an event horizon to the Americal Idol spoof. BUT WHAT REALLY IMPRESSED ME was at my local Regal movie theatre tonight. I went to see Spiderman 2 (which btw was good), but when I entered the theatre I saw a 10 FOOT STARGATE with a poster styled in the usual SciFi wavy line thing with the premier date, time, and obviously channel. I never expected to see an ad for Atlantis in my local movie theatre.

Terra Atlantis!

Idun
June 30th, 2004, 09:02 PM
Wow the put one in the movies, didn't know theaters ever did that.

Guess they are doing the ad campaign right.

Klems
June 30th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Dude, get a picture. I want to see that!

KayMan2k
June 30th, 2004, 09:34 PM
I had wanted to take a picture and post it here, but I did not have a camera with me at the movie. I will go back tommorow with the digital. I have to go back anyway to speak with the manager of the theatre. I am trying to see if I can keep it when they are done with the promotion.

Darren
July 1st, 2004, 12:35 AM
Awesome!

Yep, Regal Cinemas is one of the sponsors for the "Get In the Gate" sweepstakes, I hear ...

Vesian
July 1st, 2004, 10:59 AM
I'll tell you this: If I hear Weir say "We may never be able to return home" one more time, i'm going to destroy my TV.

Ugly Pig
July 1st, 2004, 11:09 AM
I'll tell you this: If I hear Weir say "We may never be able to return home" one more time, i'm going to destroy my TV.
Better not watch the pilot, then. :p

KayMan2k
July 1st, 2004, 06:01 PM
I went back today and was able to sneak in a picture of the promotion. I wanted to take more pictures, but after this several security officers started coming towards my direction so I stopped. Apparantly, the theatre doesn't like the idea of cameras (I dunno, something to do with piracy...), but I just explained to them what it was for and left.

Whatever the connection between Regal Cinemas and SciFi/NBC Universal, the ad is certainly in a high traffic location and eye catching (considering you need to walk through it to get to many of the theatres).

EDIT: I have the image as 1600x1200 resolution but shrunk it down for the boards. PM me if you want the original.

Chevron_nine
July 1st, 2004, 07:16 PM
Wow, that's pretty cool. I completely misinterpreted your first post. Before I saw the picture I thought you meant when you walked into the theater there was a stargate being displayed on the theatre screen before the movie:o. This is much cooler.

Klems
July 1st, 2004, 08:49 PM
Sweet! Hey thanks for sharing.

Idun
July 1st, 2004, 10:09 PM
Wow, I would love to put that in my room

definately a nice decoration

petzke_42
July 2nd, 2004, 01:00 AM
Damn...I really want that. I never see anything cool :(

shockwave
July 2nd, 2004, 05:19 AM
http://www.scifi.com/atlantis/gallery/images/image_12.jpg

Atlantis on time square

Idun
July 2nd, 2004, 05:29 AM
Well maybe I could set that one up on my roof....

man somsbody is getin after it over there at the Scifi Channel Advertsing Office

Ugly Pig
July 2nd, 2004, 06:30 AM
Whoa, this is just insanely cool!! If Atlantis isn't a success now, I'm gonna eat my hat!

Teal'c
July 2nd, 2004, 07:37 AM
*runs off to NYC to steal the billboard* :D

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 08:18 AM
Wow. SciFi sure is blowing the top of with all this advertising. I wonder if you could get that gate from the movie theater after they are finished. Where did you say it was again? :D

PYRO
July 2nd, 2004, 08:48 AM
SciFi is whoring the Atlantis series in ads and stuff becuase its their last hope, StarGate: SG-1 is almost the only show that people bother toning into on SciFi (I like RiverWorld though.....) Since its [SG-1] almost over Atlantis is whats stands between them and being as non-watched as PBS. :D

David85
July 2nd, 2004, 09:53 AM
*runs off to NYC to steal the billboard* :D

Not if I get it first! :D

Sci-Fi is doing ok, they have those crap shows they show on Thursday that people seem to like. Plus if they need to they can always make another Stargate spinoff and just keep SG-1 on for the next 12 years. :)

shockwave
July 2nd, 2004, 10:11 AM
proposed spinn-offs: :D

stargate SG-13: starring the sg-13 team from heroes
stargate: alpha site: starring an off-world sg-team
stargate: the four races: prequel featuring the ancients, asguard, furlings, nox
stargate: the next generation: set in 2030 or so :p

Ugly Pig
July 2nd, 2004, 10:19 AM
stargate: the next generation: set in 2030 or so :p
But to avoid confusion with Star Trek, they should call it something else... I dunno, something like "Stargate Infinity", perhaps? Oh, and it should be animated. Yeah, that would rock!

Yeah.

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 10:35 AM
They could do "O'neill". Following the life of retired Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Carter after they leave the program, set up in NYC.

They also have that nifty little ship called Promethous, which could be retrofitted for Stargate: Exploration (Boldly going where Star Trek failed to go. :p )

langdonboom
July 2nd, 2004, 10:43 AM
I'd be into seeing a Stargate: The Next Generation! Maybe it could be set in the time that SG-1 travels to at the end of 1969, with cassie being there to greet them and all. Or even beyond that maybe similar in idea to the stupid cartoon, just not stupid.

Like what's an earth of the future like once the gate has been revealed, all the horrors of that have taken place and maybe calmed down... Earth is finally on par with the Tollan/Aschen level of tech.... I think that'd be awesome.

shockwave
July 2nd, 2004, 10:44 AM
But to avoid confusion with Star Trek, they should call it something else... I dunno, something like "Stargate Infinity", perhaps? Oh, and it should be animated. Yeah, that would rock!

Yeah.

totally forgot Infinity

in stead of SG: TNG, stargate 2030

and also

stargate prometheus: about the adventures of the prometheus crew, grace aliens as recurring villans

Anthro Girl
July 2nd, 2004, 01:39 PM
Since its [SG-1] almost over Atlantis is whats stands between them and being as non-watched as PBS. :D

Hey...I like PBS! :p

Speaking of adverts, I just saw a little flash animated ad on IMDB.com. First time I've noticed the little fishies...that was cool. :D

Wrathox
July 2nd, 2004, 01:42 PM
They should do like the Six Flags ride Stargate 3000

SGSlugger
July 2nd, 2004, 08:03 PM
Hey...I like PBS! :p

Speaking of adverts, I just saw a little flash animated ad on IMDB.com. First time I've noticed the little fishies...that was cool. :D

The little fishies are on the screensaver too. :cool:

David85
July 2nd, 2004, 08:12 PM
They could do "O'neill". Following the life of retired Jack, Sam, Teal'c, and Carter after they leave the program, set up in NYC.

They also have that nifty little ship called Promethous, which could be retrofitted for Stargate: Exploration (Boldly going where Star Trek failed to go. :p )

They didn't fail to go there, the problem is they jusy keep going where they already have gone and have gotten little done. I don't see any difference between Enterprise 200 years in the past and TNG. It's lame.

I hope it goes something like...

Now-
SG-1
Atlantis
5 years-
Atlantis
SG-1 Movies
10 years-
Atlantis and SG-1 Movies
A new show. I like the Jaffa rebellion idea as a TV movie series idea.
15 years-
The ship (will never spell/type it right) and some mini ones. I don't want one ship that would be like Star Trek I want to have a fleet like they do now with boats.
Future-
Stargate: Earth about the Stargate finally coming out to the public, but not right away. Something like another country (China) threatening us and we are forced to come out and give it to Nato ir something. No way we would ever give it to the UN. It would be like West Wing some times and the SGC others, then just mainly regular people and how we react to everything going on.

Balthazar
July 3rd, 2004, 05:14 AM
does anybody have clips from that american idol thing?

PYRO
July 3rd, 2004, 05:44 AM
Bah this is whats next:

StarGate: El Dorado

Atlantis spin-off, like 14 years from now. :D

Torley
July 3rd, 2004, 12:47 PM
Wowza... that is a really posh advert. I hope no one tries to jump through that (2D) gate.

prion
July 3rd, 2004, 05:02 PM
Scifi is pushing Atlantis because it must succeed. If it doesn't, the franchise dies.

They put a pretty bundle into that FIVE DAYS miniserise which tanked horribly; they even took out a full page color ad for it in the NY Times. Not cheap (however, they can write advertising on their tax returns) :rolleyes:

What Scifi wants is to get a huge audience for Atlantis - and hope it stays - so they can finish off SG1, which is a more expensive show to produce.

Ugly Pig
July 3rd, 2004, 05:04 PM
What Scifi wants is to get a huge audience for Atlantis - and hope it stays - so they can finish off SG1, which is a more expensive show to produce.
Waitaminute - Atlantis is cheaper than SG-1? Is that a fact?

prion
July 3rd, 2004, 05:19 PM
Waitaminute - Atlantis is cheaper than SG-1? Is that a fact?

Do I have a budget sheet? No, sure wish I did! But it's a known fact that in new shows, with relatively unknown cast members, they start a LOT lower than people who have been on the show for 5+ years. Once the MGM contract on SG1 ran out at the end of season 5, everybody renegotiated, and it looks like it's a yearly contract renewal, so the prices go up. Besides, the producers, in an article, said that both the actors AND crew are more expensive.

PYRO
July 3rd, 2004, 07:36 PM
Good to be a janitor.

KayMan2k
July 3rd, 2004, 09:16 PM
does anybody have clips from that american idol thing?

I've been trying to capture it from SciFi but I haven't seen the commercial recently.

KayMan2k
July 3rd, 2004, 09:17 PM
They should do like the Six Flags ride Stargate 3000

Agreed. Right now, Six Flags: Great Adventure has old dino 3D movie, they could tear that ride out and have plenty of space for SG3K ride. :)

KayMan2k
July 3rd, 2004, 09:18 PM
Wow. SciFi sure is blowing the top of with all this advertising. I wonder if you could get that gate from the movie theater after they are finished. Where did you say it was again? :D

Hehehe :)

Well, the manager said he wasn't sure if he needs to send the promo back to the advertising company or if he could give it away. If he can give it away, its as good as mine.

Chevron_nine
July 3rd, 2004, 09:27 PM
Agreed. Right now, Six Flags: Great Adventure has old dino 3D movie, they could tear that ride out and have plenty of space for SG3K ride. :)
Would there be any chances that that dino 3d movie is called Volcanosaur. One of the Six Flags owned theme parks here in Montreal said they would finally be replacing the old Volcanosaur movie with a new one. I got my hopes up hoping it would be Stargate 3000. Turns out it was replaced by Sponge Bob 3D:(

gange57
July 3rd, 2004, 10:44 PM
The promotions for Atlantis seem endless. You can't go ten minutes of watching the SciFi channel without seeing some type of advertisement for Atlantis, whether is a commercial spot or one of those pop-up ads during a program. In addition, I have heard radio ads; as well as commercials during broadcast TV, which is a rarity for a cable show. I wasn't aware of the movie theater promotions though. I hope Atlantis does well, but, I have always been skeptical of anything that is overly hyped. It looks like the SciFi channel is putting all their eggs in the Atlantis basket. I hope Atlantis succeeds because if it doesn't, this could bury the Stargate franchise. Maybe, someone could answer this question. Has any SciFi show ever been promoted as much as Atlantis?

KayMan2k
July 3rd, 2004, 11:01 PM
Would there be any chances that that dino 3d movie is called Volcanosaur. One of the Six Flags owned theme parks here in Montreal said they would finally be replacing the old Volcanosaur movie with a new one. I got my hopes up hoping it would be Stargate 3000. Turns out it was replaced by Sponge Bob 3D:(

It was actually called T-Rex: 3D, HOWEVER... the short movie was about rescuing a baby T-Rex from a volcano. So perhaps its the same flick just with a different name up north there. Six Flags: Great Adventure is in New Jersey. I haven't been there for a while, but now I won't be surprised (just dissapointed) if it is replaced by Sponge Bob.

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 05:00 AM
The promotions for Atlantis seem endless. You can't go ten minutes of watching the SciFi channel without seeing some type of advertisement for Atlantis, whether is a commercial spot or one of those pop-up ads during a program.
I just hope the casual SciFi viewers don't tire of it before it even airs... I know when some new show is being hyped with constant commercials for it airing while I'm watching TV, I tend to dislike it so much I don't even bother checking out the actual show.

Mio
July 4th, 2004, 06:11 AM
That stargate would look so good in my room.....

PYRO
July 4th, 2004, 08:20 AM
EVERY commercial during last fridays season 7 ending (again) were SG-1 season 8 and SGA. Mabye a few for Time Cop but thats it.

Anthro Girl
July 4th, 2004, 10:28 AM
Has any SciFi show ever been promoted as much as Atlantis?

It looks a lot like their ad campaign for the Battlestar Galactica mini-series. I remember the ads for BG starting at least six months in advance, if not sooner. By the time it started, it seemed to me that every other commercial was for BG. I had "issues" ;) with them tinkering with the original, so I didn't watch it, but apparently it did well enough for them to go with the series. I've seen an ad or two for that already and it doesn't start until January.

brandohall
July 4th, 2004, 11:39 AM
I just saw 3 Atlantis ads in a row nonstop

Anubis
July 4th, 2004, 12:23 PM
Three in a row? Now that's advertising

gange57
July 4th, 2004, 01:29 PM
EVERY commercial during last fridays season 7 ending (again) were SG-1 season 8 and SGA. Mabye a few for Time Cop but thats it.

Yea, last Friday night seemed to be a bit over the top. I understand that the premiere of S8 and SGA is a week and two weeks away, respectively. But, it did seem excessive. I swear it seemed like there was either a S8, SGA, or a "Get in the Gate" ad in every commercial segment. What's next? A Stargate infomercial? :eek:

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 03:10 PM
What's next? A Stargate infomercial? :eek:
coughLowdowncough :D

Nolamom
July 4th, 2004, 04:22 PM
coughLowdowncough :D
Good one U.P.!

Ugly Pig
July 4th, 2004, 04:32 PM
Good one U.P.!
Thank you. I'll be here all week. :D

JakeDeuxPointZero
July 4th, 2004, 09:46 PM
Wow... I am DEFINITELY deciding, right now, to go to my local Regal to see a movie... tomorrow! I HAVE to see this! And if I'm lucky (I have been in the past... I got my hands on a Left Behind: the Movie cardboard thingy, although admittedly, that was somewhat less popular...), I can get my hands on this baby to own... wow, I would love, love, love that!

As for the TV ads, I don't mind... just pumps me up more. What I'm pissed about, though... is that I leave to go out of town on July 9 and arrive after the 16th... yeah... so my hotel BETTER be one of the rare few that actually gets SciFi.

Balthazar
July 5th, 2004, 05:28 AM
dont get that stargate just make one of your own like these people http://digilander.libero.it/ussreunion/Stargate.jpg

bladeswin
July 5th, 2004, 07:46 AM
The advertisements for Atlantis are constantly on SciFi. Its good to see that they do have other more efficient advertising displays. I too would like to swipe that mock stargate...wonder if ones on ebay...?

J

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 07:49 AM
Advertisements can get a bit continuous. Like in the UK there are tons of ads for mobile phone ringtones about every other ad. They really take the mick

DAL SHAKKA MEL
July 5th, 2004, 08:35 AM
My freind just told me that when he went to see spider-man 2 (great movie BTW) saw an atlantis comercial ON THE BIG SCREEN! :cool: I would have killed to see that! :D

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 08:37 AM
It seems Sci-Fi really are trying to promote Atlantis more than SG-1. I know, it is a all new-show and they are trying to gather it's attention but going to the big screen must have burnt a hole in their pockets. From what I have heard, advertising on the big screen costs in the tens of thousands

Anthro Girl
July 5th, 2004, 11:13 AM
It seems Sci-Fi really are trying to promote Atlantis more than SG-1.
That makes sense. When SG-1 came to SciFi, it came with a fan base. They promoted it and paired it with Farscape, but had I not been watching it since the beginning, I wouldn't have started watching it with Season 6...I'm weird like that. ;) Atlantis is an opportunity to gain more fans and bring them on on the "ground level" of a story.

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 11:20 AM
I agree. It's to build peoples attention, from the start

Anthro Girl
July 6th, 2004, 12:41 PM
I just saw huge Atlantis banner ads on Yahoo! News while reading a wire story about politics! ??! SciFi is really pulling out all the stops on this one. I know banner ads can be targeted, but I've never seen a Stargate ad online anywhere other than at SciFi.com and in the last few days I've seen them all over. Wow! I hope/wonder-if it works.

Hyperspace
July 19th, 2004, 02:33 AM
Not as watched as PBS???? No, I think not...Scifi's success story of late began with its miniseries, aka Dune, Taken, Children of Dune, and Battlestar Galactica. Add in the increasing popularity of Scifi Friday lineup, plus the cheap and ratings worthy Scifi Pictures (some of which are critically atrocious, but bring in the eyeballs), then add Stargate as its new crown jewel TV series.

So SG:Atlantis keeps that crown jewel in place, hopefully. But Scifi has many other things than being just the "Stargate channel."

Chevron 1
July 19th, 2004, 04:32 AM
So SG:Atlantis keeps that crown jewel in place, hopefully. But Scifi has many other things than being just the "Stargate channel."

Just as long as it's not "Scare Tactics", I'm OK. (ducks to avoid getting zatted)

aAnubiSs
July 19th, 2004, 04:57 AM
They spend millions on advertising, they must have taken the money from their programmers :D