Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise: Keating Couldn't Break Producers' 'Stranglehold' On Reed

http://www.trektoday.com/news/230805_01.shtml

Dominic Keating (Malcolm Reed) told a radio talk show host that he was happy to have had a four-year run on Star Trek: Enterprise although he committed himself to a seven-year contract if the show had lasted, and when asked whether there would be an Enterprise movie, said, "I would eat my hat, if I had one."

Though the actor met with Brannon Braga a few times to discuss developments in his character's arc, he said that none of his story ideas were incorporated into the show. "Brannon and particularly Rick were very much masters of their own domain," he explained, noting that they did not wish to give up their "stranglehold" over the creative direction of the series.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Good interview, thanks for the link.

Its a bit of a shame, he was the only character that was British and the most interesting thing we ever learned about his character was that he was allergic to Pineapple!

I think we all have to admit that most of the story ideas went to that Southern nit Tucker, he stole the Reed/T'Pol storyline and most of series three and four. The last episode wasn't about Archer, the Federation, Enterprise or any of what the show really meant. It was more about highlighting to biggest jerk chauvanist characters in Trek: Riker and Tucker (notice the similar names). Even in the future, it seems dudes like that give us regular Guy's bad names.

But yeah, Reed did rule, pity that they didn't give him more screen time because he was an interesting character that we din't really see much. I stopped really watching Enterprise because it stopped being a show about the main characters and more a docu-soap on Tucker and T'pol.

My Two Shillings anyway.
    "You get Two Hippies playing Drums on a lawn, the next thing you got is a College!" - Eric Cartman

"Nice!" - Jack
    "Well the Ancients like to fly in style..." - Daniel

Comment

We keep hearing all this stuff about things being done badly

But IMO Enterprise was always doomed to failure because only a miracle could have made it a good series
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg
        I stopped really watching Enterprise because it stopped being a show about the main characters and more a docu-soap on Tucker and T'pol.
        Thank you for typing that so I didn't have to. If I had any energy I'd write a treatise on the failure of Enterprise and title it Good Ships and Bad 'Ships.

We also learned about dear Lt Reed that he can take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Heisenberg
          Good interview, thanks for the link.

Its a bit of a shame, he was the only character that was British and the most interesting thing we ever learned about his character was that he was allergic to Pineapple!

he wasen't allergic to pineapple, in fact pineapple was one of the few things he could eat, as in the bday cake that hoshi took forever to find out.

this is i though about B&B and this just confirms it, they are selfish pricks who if they dont get their own way they throw a hissy fit.
          that isnt the right thing for them to have done, ideas from the acotrs helps the show as it makes them feel comfortable in the role meaning a good show, enterprise proved this theory and what was said by DK in the interveiw.

B&B should frigg of the mexico from now on they killed the franchise badly, and i and im sure many other fans will hate and despise them from now on.
          For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

They should put him in atlantis and call him Grodin Mk2.

Advice For The New Millenium: A watched torrent never downloads.

Comment

Isn't Trip going to be in Atlantis soon? I heard a rumour....
              BSG convert....

Comment

Spoiler:
                Yes - in the episode 'Michael'
                love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstar
                  he wasen't allergic to pineapple, in fact pineapple was one of the few things he could eat, as in the bday cake that hoshi took forever to find out.
                  He *was* allergic to pineapple. Hoshi was trying to get info from Dr Phlox about Malcolm and any possible favorite foods he might have mentioned. Of course Phlox wouldn't divulge, Dr/Patient privelege and all that. He threw her a bone tho, saying that Malcolm was getting injections to desensitize him to bromelin (sp?), an enzyme in pineapple. Hoshi figured anybody who got regular shots to eat a certain food must really like that food, hence the pineapple birthday cake.

Comment

Reed is the best example of terrible character developement on Enterprise. For 3 years we learn very little about Reed. The only "plot" he was in was the peeing contest with Hayes. Then in the Fourth season they made Reed a spy. Why because he is British and all Brits are spies?
                    Seriously why couldn't Hoshi and Reed have had a ship? There were a lot of hints that they cared for each other. The Trippol relationship was OK but some character development outside of the three main characters would have made the show a lot better.

Comment

I tired to like Enterprise, I really did Scott Bakula is one of my all time fav actors, but the chemistry of the show just didn't work for me, and I was never all that interested in a prequel
                      Seems like B&B's stranglehold on the show just suffocated it faster - getting some new talent and ideas might have done a world (or is that universe ) of good....

Comment

Originally posted by kiwigater
                        I was never all that interested in a prequel
                        Me neither
                        love Torri

Comment

I´ve always suspected that Berman and Braga were the reason that Star Trek was going down the toilette. They are control freaks, which wouldn´t be so bad if it weren´t for the fact that they are talentless control freaks.

Hopefully Paramount will wait until their contracts with those two expire before going and making another series, then they can get talented people to helm the project.

Comment

The article says:

He was unsure what Berman might be working on at Paramount but said that if Star Trek returned, it would be under the direction of Viacom's Les Moonves, who now runs Paramount Pictures and UPN: "If he does reinvent it, it will have his paw mark on it."
                            Who is Les Moonves?
                            love Torri

Comment

Working...
                            X