This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We call them 'Ancients' NOW, but...

What were they called when they WEREN'T ancient?

Do these people have a name? Or have they always been "The Ancients"?

If they have always been the latter of the two, then the writers have some explaining to do to keep the cheeze factor down...IMHO, or course. :-)

I've always een wondering that myself... maybe they just never had a name.

Or maybe the name they gave themselves was too embarassing, so they call themselves the Ancients... I can think of a few names I wouldn't want to call myself.

Comment

Someone suggested in another thread (I forget which thread now) that perhaps they were called the Ancients, but the word ancient then had nothing to do with being old or anything, it was just the name of their race. As time marched on and their language mixed with ours, we took that name as a word to mean old because by then, they were old.
      Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

I think that may have always been their name. I'm uncertain why, but I just have that feeling
        __

__

Comment

Maybe they just wanted to be called the ancients, because it made them sound wise and powerful...
          or something

Comment

I think you may be right. Well, that's what I think. Besides, they are wise and powerful
            __

__

Comment

They're wise and powerful AND old.... I've always thought they were the first sentiant race or at least the oldest one still around. Maybe they were already quite old when the other races met them....
              NOX: dude, you are ancient.......

Comment

Here's my theory that I posted elsewhere also.....
                Atlantis is a city-ship that traveled to Earth long ago from elsewhere.
                The "Ancients" went about there plan to put stargates on lots of planets, start some colonies, etc. When they were done with our galaxy they left behind some outposts and went off to the Pegasus Galaxy... now
                spoilers.

according to the europe DVD preview... the ancients ran were going about their same plane putting in stargates and colonies when they ran into the Wraith who drove them back to Atlantis... the ship-city was under seige so for some reason instead of flying off they sank it and went thru the stargate back to the milkyway galaxy ....
                thus the race were already advance when they settled our galaxy thus the name "ancients".
                thoughts?

Comment

Atlantians?

Comment

Many languages / peoples' words for themselves can be translated as "human" or "people". We may never know what they called themselves (You know you can't get a strait answer from Oma Desala!) but may always know them by what others called them. If they were the first of the great races, then likely the other three would have referred to them as the "old ones" or the "ancients". Just a thought.
                    sigpic

Comment

Atlantians is a great name!
                      __

__

Comment

Originally posted by uknesvuinng
                        Someone suggested in another thread (I forget which thread now) that perhaps they were called the Ancients, but the word ancient then had nothing to do with being old or anything, it was just the name of their race. As time marched on and their language mixed with ours, we took that name as a word to mean old because by then, they were old.
                        This is probably the best theory I've seen on the subject yet. It would make perfect sense for their own name for themselves "Ancients" would come to mean "Old Ones" in the languages of those they came in contact with, especially in th SG-1 Universe where they had such a great influence.

Comment

Perfect name, because they'd probably know they were the first ones and they sprung life onto others
                          __

__

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis
                            Perfect name, because they'd probably know they were the first ones and they sprung life onto others
                            I think you missed the point, they didn't choose the name "Ancients" because they were old or the first or anything like that, it was just the name of their race. The word ancient came to mean old over time as it passed down through those they influenced. Of course, if we want to get specific, their name in their own language was Anquietas.
                            Cogito ergo dubito.

"How happy are the astrologers if they tell one truth to a hundred lies, while other people lose all credibility if they tell one lie to a hundred truths." - Francesco Guicciardini

An escalator can never be broken, it can only become stairs. You never see "Escalator temporarily out of service." It's "Escalator temporarily stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Comment

You're right. Thanks for placing that into account
                              __

__

Comment

Working...
                              X