This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a touch of complaining if you dont mind

yes...so i may be fueling the fire with this one...but lets just not have any evilness in this thread shall we? Complain about this...complain about that...just dont make the mods angry because they do a bang up good job all the time! Sometimes people just need to complain...get your anger vented HERE.

might i say...i'm tired of all the the massive amount of "listing" threads that have come up lately...

a few at a time is great, but i'm away for a week and i swear half of the threads are "whats in *insert name here's* backpack" this "what would you do" that...

and while a couple are fine now and then...its becoming too much o.o;;;

of course my complaining will do no good, and making this thread may not be a good idea...but i did at least throw it in off topic chatter!

oh to make things fair, i'll complain about something else. I find all the coverage about mary-kate's eating disorder quite unnerving...its a very private thing and its like food for the ants *i like to call them journalists*. Take it from someone who knows alot about eating disorders *and i wont go any further into what i know about them and dealing with them* its only making her feel worse...not better...

also, going to a place for a month is a good start...but no one gets over an eating disorder completely...not the mental aspect of it.

of course though, if i was mary-kate, i would have fired my publicist or not had it announced in public at all...

I would also like to complain about my stomach...it hurts...*sob*

Daniel: No Jonas, I will NOT play pass the mustard with you.
    Jonas: What about pass the mayo?
    Daniel: ...okay, but dont tell Jack.

This whole obsession with how celebs live their life is sick.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
      This whole obsession with how celebs live their life is sick.
      It really is sick...i mean some of them like the attention, but my word...I feel bad for celebrities, i mean they're just like you and me for the most part...suure they make millions of dollars and we go see their movies but everyone needs their down time, and no one is perfect either!

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants
        might i say...i'm tired of all the the massive amount of "listing" threads that have come up lately...
        THANK YOU! Thank you thank you thank you! Yes, it has been driving me right up the wall and down again. Of all the bloody useless things to be clogging up the Gen Discussion areas, those are, IMO, the absolute worst. I don't care if there's a remote excuse of it being on topic because it's about Stargate, it's completely worthless as a discussion thread because there is no discussion!! It's just list after list after list of inane items, 99% of which the characters wouldn't be caught dead with anyway. Stargate Hangman is technically on topic since it's about Stargate, but it's in Off Topic, so why aren't the backpack things?

When they first started, those stupid threads drowned out everything else. Hell, even the shipper and thunk threads couldn't keep up with them and gods forbid anyone post about a REAL subject because it'd get lost in the mess. It's getting marginally better now, but the cursed things still aren't going away.

What about the alphabet game? Technically, that's on topic, too, since everything posted to it is about Stargate and was said/featured in Stargate, but it's in OT, too. Why? Because it's a GAME. Like the backpack stuff, all it does is LIST things, but however on topic the material may be, it's still in Off Topic where, I believe, it belongs.

At least if they're in Off Topic, they're easier to ignore and they don't drown out the real, on topic DISCUSSIONS taking place.

As for the obsession with celeb lives, it's sick. But then, humanity itself is a pretty sick species. Highly voyeuristic, generally speaking.

Comment

Yes I miss the good old days when I could actually contribute ideas, and posts were actually longer than a single sentace. Don't worry though, the word games are just a fad and will pass. I hope
          [email protected]
          http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
          One nation under dog
          There of which I stand alone
          A face in the crowd
          Unsung, against the mold
          Without a doubt
          Singled out
          The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Jprime
            Yes I miss the good old days when I could actually contribute ideas, and posts were actually longer than a single sentace. Don't worry though, the word games are just a fad and will pass. I hope
            Some "fads" last for YEARS. I'd prefer not to have to put up with that tripe cluttering up an otherwise very nice section for discussions.

And don't get me started on those one-line conversations... grrrr.... And I'm not talking about the occasional one-line additions, but the actual, for lack of a better word, "discussions" back and forth which serve no purpose but to drive up post counts and then the deeply philosophical things like, "me too!" or "that's cool!"

I'm beginning to turn into an absolute nazi about on topic-ness...

Seriously, though, if you wanna talk about something silly, or you want to start a pointless little game or find out more about your fellow posters, what's so difficult about starting an Offworld thread??

Comment

someone should make a list with topics we wish not seeing again

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                Some "fads" last for YEARS.

Seriously, though, if you wanna talk about something silly, or you want to start a pointless little game or find out more about your fellow posters, what's so difficult about starting an Offworld thread??
                I completely agree. (Oh dear, shouldn't have said that.) The games are fun and all, but there's WAY too many of them! I think the whole alphabet has been gone through... (has it yet?) And, while the backpack games were a fun little way to make fun of the characters -- and I'm guilty of participating in them -- there really are TOO MANY. And of course they have to do with Stargate, but in so many ways they are not Starate. Related, but... no.

As for Stargate Hangman... Boy, do I love that... !

Comment

If they're in an offworld section, like off topic chatter, I have no problem with that because that's why the section is there. What I DO have a problem with is these trite, meaningless little list things being passed off as legitimate conversations when they're anything but.

As for the backpack things, I mean, jeez. Why not "What's in Siler's backpack?" or "What's in Luke's backpack?" or "What's in jaffa warrior #3's backpack?" Enough is e-bloody-nough. Either take them to off topic or let the cursed things DIE. Please! For the love of fluffy puppies and all CONVERSATION-loving people in Gen Disc, let's be done with it already. One way or another. *sigh*

Comment

I haven't looked at any of the backpack threads or games, but all I can say is thank goodness the new forum format makes it easier to mark an entire section as "read".

As for the Olsen kid...never understood that obsession anyway and don't think I ever want to. I also don't watch television news outside of parts of the local broadcast and some of the political talking-head shows. However, from the print media, I got the impression that the story wasn't "leaked" as much as it was "released". Now, maybe it was released in order to trump the media who probably would have dug it up (they were in the middle of promoting a movie). In other words, she may not have had the choice to keep it private. Given the intense - and I would say unwarranted - media attention, I think they took the high road on this one. Anorexia is a very serious diseas that affects mostly women and it can be deadly. The glaring public eye of celebrity placed upon the Olsen sisters has done its part to perpetuate the stereotypes that can aggravate the disease. By going public with it, the Olsen sisters may actually help a few of their fans...if the media lets them.
                    Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                    O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                    - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                    - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                    once done, cannot be undone...
                    brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Originally posted by shinyredpants

a few at a time is great, but i'm away for a week and i swear half of the threads are "whats in *insert name here's* backpack" this "what would you do" that...

and while a couple are fine now and then...its becoming too much o.o;;;
                      I'm not sure what the problem is. Some people like them. Heck, a lot of people like them, judging by the number of posts. They might not be as deep and meaningful as a discussion on theevolution of the goa'uld or whatever, but they're fun for those of us who post there, and there are some really witty ideas that I'm glad I saw, they cheered me up.

Originally posted by Shadowmaat
                      As for the backpack things, I mean, jeez. Why not "What's in Siler's backpack?" or "What's in Luke's backpack?" or "What's in jaffa warrior #3's backpack?"
                      Perhaps because no one wants one. A thread exists because someone wants it enough to start it.

Enough is e-bloody-nough. Either take them to off topic or let the cursed things DIE. Please! For the love of fluffy puppies and all CONVERSATION-loving people in Gen Disc, let's be done with it already. One way or another. *sigh*
                      Why? As I've said, plenty of people like them. It's a fine line between Stargate-related stuff and off-topic stuff. We feel that the 'Lets M' type threads are wordgames, plain and simple, but the backpack threads are a chance for people to *say* something about their favourite characters. It might be trivial and silly, but it's just Stargate-related enough that we've left it in the GD folder. True, it's a close call, but why does it matter so much that there have been four popular threads recently which were close to the line? People having fun here is a good thing, IMO, and no one's getting dragged into the thread and walloped until they read it in full and / or post .

And don't get me started on those one-line conversations... grrrr.... And I'm not talking about the occasional one-line additions, but the actual, for lack of a better word, "discussions" back and forth which serve no purpose but to drive up post counts and then the deeply philosophical things like, "me too!" or "that's cool!"
                      Some people are more confident and eloquent than others. Some people find discussion easier one sentence at a time. It's not how you do things, and it's not how I like to discuss stuff either, but it's still legitimate. As is saying 'me too'. It might be all a poster can think of. Yes it's a trivial sort of thing to say but that's not really grounds for asking them to keep quiet. (I've done the 'ITA' thing myself, I'm sure). And sometimes it's a nice way for the postee to get a bit of a filip.

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                        Some people are more confident and eloquent than others. Some people find discussion easier one sentence at a time. It's not how you do things, and it's not how I like to discuss stuff either, but it's still legitimate. As is saying 'me too'. It might be all a poster can think of. Yes it's a trivial sort of thing to say but that's not really grounds for asking them to keep quiet. (I've done the 'ITA' thing myself, I'm sure). And sometimes it's a nice way for the postee to get a bit of a filip.
                        Like me for instance. I've probably been guilty of one sentence answers from time to time but that's mainly because I'm not very good at big dicussions. I'm a fairly quiet person in RL and seem to be that way online too. I do try to avoid 'me too' answers though.
                        Oh honey. You say potato, I say vodka!

http://neuralgianostalgia.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Spaceminx
                          Like me for instance. I've probably been guilty of one sentence answers from time to time but that's mainly because I'm not very good at big dicussions. I'm a fairly quiet person in RL and seem to be that way online too. I do try to avoid 'me too' answers though.
                          Me too! Just kidding.
                          Actually, sometimes a one sentence answer is all that is required. As much as I appreciate the posters who can put together lovely long posts, I'm generally not one of them. That is not to say that I don't wish to contribute, it's just that my contributions are small.
                          sigpic

Comment

I'm pretty loud, and seem to have a big gob here at GW! lol I crept up to the rank I did in about a month and a bit. Longer than I expected. I sometimes share the odd longer post but only if I include quotes to make my post seem longer than it really is!
                            __

__

Comment

Mmmm yes...controversy...i live off it...

er...anyway!

i'll admit, i've been known to write the occasional one liner *proabably more than once* and i've been known to wander off topic every now and then as well too. Though i dunno, i try to stay on topic as much as possible in a thread.

Now while i do not understand the shipper and thunk threads *oh except the thor/heimdall thread but that really wasnt so much about them as it was about Nott* there are only a couple that i see and i usually just ignore them...

I dunno...i guess i see the "whats in who's backpack" stuff a game, and i dunno i kinda feel that any sort of game should be in off topic *but i'm not a mod, so its not up to me*. buut...some may not consider it a game...i really dont know, its hard to say.

like i said, i'm just venting...i'm not really expecting any action to be done, and even if others think action should be done well...like i said its not up to me...i just know others feel the same as i do and it seemed like they needed to vent about it as well =)

Comment

Working...
                              X