PDA

View Full Version : Who IS Thor?

Jafana
June 30th, 2004, 01:08 AM
I was just wondering, who does the voices of the Asgard?
Particularly Thor.

I couldn't see any credits for them. Is there some way of finding out?

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 01:11 AM
For a minute, i was like, "How could you not know who Thor is?!" but then again, read your question in ur post, haha... Thor is voiced by Michael Shanks, who also plays Daniel Jackson :) But i think you know that already :)

Jafana
June 30th, 2004, 01:19 AM
lol, i deliberately made the title a little gasp worthy..

but are you serious? MS really voices thor?? wow. i would never have picked it?

whats your source?

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 01:23 AM
Gateworld :) Haha... And imdb.com, good enough sources?

Jafana
June 30th, 2004, 01:25 AM
hehe, yeah,
but i meant WHERE did you find this..
i want to read it ..

whats the link?

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 01:28 AM
Specifically... Haha, ook, here from gateworld, http://www.gateworld.net/omnipedia/characters/t/thor.shtml,
and here from imdb.com, http://imdb.com/title/tt0118480/ :) hope that helps :)

Jafana
June 30th, 2004, 01:30 AM
excellent thanks

i'll have to go and watch those eps and try and see if i can pick it..

who would have thought?

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 01:33 AM
I didn't notice it was him either, another fun fact is that Teryl Rothery voices another Asgard buddy, Heimdall :)

Nolamom
June 30th, 2004, 03:36 AM
And Peter DeLuise does the voice of Loki...

Jprime
June 30th, 2004, 06:33 AM
And doesn't Teryl Rothery do Heimdall's voice, as well as his (possibly her) stand-in for CGI?

Nolamom
June 30th, 2004, 08:31 AM
Yes, LittleMiguelJr already mentioned her.

AbydosTraveller
June 30th, 2004, 08:34 AM
Talk about things I didn't know... I'm pretty good about picking out voices, but I didn't think THAT!

It's a little interesting, "Who is Thor?". I was ready with some Viking mythology... ah, ruin my fun.

They call me Tim
June 30th, 2004, 09:45 AM
It also tells you who does the voices on the DVD commentaries...which brings me to something that I thought of once...I think that MS leaving the show was all hype or giving him an option to work on another project. I say this because one: for a man that left a show he was on it a whole lot...and second, Thors voice never changed which means that MS was still really involved...CONSPIRACY :p

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM
Did you notice how the character still guest starred in the season he wasn't a regular? Haha...

aschen
June 30th, 2004, 10:05 AM
It always confused me why Thor was the supreme high commander of the Asgard.

As a mythology nut, some of the show's discripensies kinda bother me, but I can always look by.

Technically Odin should be the supreme high commander, but Thor is just as good. :D

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Maybe Odin passed away?

uknesvuinng
June 30th, 2004, 10:32 AM
Thor is Supreme High Commander of the Asgard Fleet, not of the Asgard themselves. Odin (who's appearance may or may not have happened in "Red Sky") is still likely the ruler of the Asgard.

On the voicing topic, I recall MS appearing in the end credits as the voice of Thor in some episodes. MS also played Machello in "Holiday".

Torley
June 30th, 2004, 10:36 AM
Who initially did Thor's voice in the earlier seasons? I don't think it was always Michael Shanks. Interesting to note that in "Fragile Balance" as per the Gateworld episode guide info, it was at one point going to be Odin instead of Loki in that episode. Maybe we'll finally see Odin nearing the end of the series!

Really, the Asgard have become good at bluffing -- ever since that whole Protected Planets Treaty thing and perhaps even before that. I wouldn't be surprised if Thor WAS Odin, or if they were using a scheme similar to the handmaids in Star Wars Episode I to hide their true ruler... ;)

SGSlugger
June 30th, 2004, 10:44 AM
The voice of Thor, and the design of him has changed a little bit over the course of the series.

Teal'c
June 30th, 2004, 03:50 PM
I'm pretty sure every episode credited MS as the voice of Thor.

Also, Chris Judge did the voice of the Unas in Demons and the giant alien in Crystal Skull.

Torley
June 30th, 2004, 03:55 PM
Hm, that's strange because Thor sounded different during earlier episodes. Maybe it's because they were improving the computer voice-changing effects too.

Oh yeah, the Thor computer graphics look HORRIBLE in earlier seasons, especially when he walks, but I mean that in a cute way.

What's that episode again where a Goa'uld cargo ship crashes and you can see computer-generated debris and rocks fly over the lower-left side of the screen? If you look carefully, some of the rocks DISAPPEAR into thin air *poof* like that! :)

Teal'c
June 30th, 2004, 04:04 PM
Hm, that's strange because Thor sounded different during earlier episodes. Maybe it's because they were improving the computer voice-changing effects too.

Oh yeah, the Thor computer graphics look HORRIBLE in earlier seasons, especially when he walks, but I mean that in a cute way.

What's that episode again where a Goa'uld cargo ship crashes and you can see computer-generated debris and rocks fly over the lower-left side of the screen? If you look carefully, some of the rocks DISAPPEAR into thin air *poof* like that! :)
Thor was a puppet! Always! Except when walking, which was only twice I believe (Fair Game and Small Victories)

And don't make fun of one of my favourtie crashes of all time! :P (It's Last Stand BTW)

Torley
June 30th, 2004, 04:07 PM
OHHH was that the one... thanks... haha... well it was a good crash, but I just found it odd -- I thought my eyes were imagining things at first. But, you know, pop rocks. Haha. :)

Anthro Girl
June 30th, 2004, 04:30 PM
I'm sure MS has always been the voice of Thor since he made his appearance as a Roswell Grey. However, I just checked my copy of Thor's Chariot and there is no voice credit for Thor given anywhere... :confused:

I believe Martin Wood said something in the Revelations commentary about Teryl Rothery being the body double for Heimdall for the CG markers...something about her being about the same size as an Asgard. :D

Jafana
June 30th, 2004, 11:54 PM
I'm sure MS has always been the voice of Thor since he made his appearance as a Roswell Grey. However, I just checked my copy of Thor's Chariot and there is no voice credit for Thor given anywhere... :confused:

I believe Martin Wood said something in the Revelations commentary about Teryl Rothery being the body double for Heimdall for the CG markers...something about her being about the same size as an Asgard. :D

rofl - ohh I so cant wait for my box sets to arrive (im getting 4 and five within the next two weeks)
i'm gonna be spending far too much time listening to the commentaries.
but yes, in heros it struck me when Janet was in her cams how very very tiny she is.

Torley
July 1st, 2004, 01:18 AM

Unholy Goa'uld dung! That explains Heimy's style of walking!! :eek:

Elwe Singollo
July 1st, 2004, 01:33 AM
Yah, she looked funky walking, haha...