This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Campaign for real science

Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of going into threads hoping to discuss and debate matters scientific only to see people talking complete technobabble and worse so talking like it's real and authoratitive. Can we have some sort of consesnsus here so threads aren't ruined by people putting forward their own unscientific ideas with no backing as fact?

Now with added lesbians.

Originally posted by Three PhDs
    Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of going into threads hoping to discuss and debate matters scientific only to see people talking complete technobabble and worse so talking like it's real and authoratitive. Can we have some sort of consesnsus here so threads aren't ruined by people putting forward their own unscientific ideas with no backing as fact?
    hmmm... i got the impression that GW was to discuss differant opinions on SG and to have a little fun, guess im wrong
    The doctor told me Im insane, thank God! its so much better then being outsane!

Comment

Most of our technobable, or that of Owen Macri and myself is actually correct. Whether you udnerstand it or not isn't really our problem we see questions we answer them and yes we will use terms which relate to the science behind stargate be it real or fictional science. If you want to debate a scientific matter be prepared to read the jargon that goes with it.

Comment

Trust me, Three PhDs(Bose) usually knows what he's talking about.

And yes much(most) here in technobabble

Comment

Most stuff in here is technobabble because 1: Its a show and people tend to go by what science is in the show whether they understand it or not.
          2:most of the science in the show is not real( and is SCIENCE FICTION!!!), which means everyone does not understand it completly or just not understand it atall.

People have the right to express their opinions whether true or not.

Comment

Just because one doesn't understand something 100% that doesn't "allow" one to make up some technobabble to explain it.

It's supposed to have connections to real science. Otherwise it'd be called fiction, or fantasy. But it's called SCIENCE Fiction.

An opinion is not a theory is not the truth.

Comment

I enjoy alot of the discussions on here, particularly the more "fiction" related science fiction aspects as they are more fun........

And seeing as a heck of alot of Stargate "science" is based on theoretical science (and therefore may not be 100% correct) and has no practical application as yet, its fun talking techno with a touch of babble. Of course that's only my opinion. If I wanted to talk real "non science fiction" science I'd find somewhere else to talk about it, but seeing as I personally don't then GateWorld it is for me.

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                An opinion is not a theory is not the truth.
                people are entitled to a theory aswell.

I dont wanna have any arguments in GW, so im gonna back off, im gonna stand up and be a man and say im sorry for my carry-on. *eoin kicks himself in the but for bad behavior*
                its getting late now and im really tired.

Comment

A theory is based on math and observation. Most of the "Theories" here are based on techno babble. Subspace this subspace that.

Comment

Becasue the simple fact is that subspace is a vital part of stargate physics, if you don't like talking about subspace science then stay away from the stargate boards. They are based on the science of Stargate which sounds like technobabble to anyone who doesnt understand it.

Comment

I hope this isn't taken the wrong way, as it is not meant that way, but could you give an example of what you would like to talk about? Also, as Esquin has said, subspace plays a part in Stargate science, not going to say all of it, but it does in some. Hence you will hear it used for some (although not all) reasons.
                      "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

I was talking science here long before you joined the forum.

I have no problems talking about subspace, but when people answer everything with either subspace and phasing in and out of subspace and phasing particles non-stop I get bored.

There are many things that could be discussed. how Naquadah functions, weapon yield, basic shield principles, alternate power sources...

Comment

I hope you did not take offense to my last post. I know that you have been talking science long before I joined, I only joined this month. Could you tell me more about Naquadah such as it's boiling point, melting point, freezing point, how it reacts with other elements. For I know just about nothing about Naquadah except that it helps increase the yield of weapons, used in staff weapons and stargates and is part of the genetic makeup of Goa'uld.
                          "Those who sow the wind might reap the whirlwind."

"Only God knows everything and he works for the Mossad."

Comment

Originally posted by eoin
                            Most stuff in here is technobabble because 1: Its a show and people tend to go by what science is in the show whether they understand it or not.
                            2:most of the science in the show is not real( and is SCIENCE FICTION!!!), which means everyone does not understand it completly or just not understand it atall.

People have the right to express their opinions whether true or not.
                            That is something I completly agree on, And I have been dealing with it extensivly and in a overt manner. Stargate IS science fiction, but like ALL Science Fiction there is a inkling of the real world physics. BUT as some people find it necessary they love to start problems based on it. But as I have said before, if you want to start a arguement of factual science in a fiction enviroment, go ahead, the only thing it will get anyone is pissed.

Comment

The point of this forum to my way of thinking is not intellectual self-abuse, but rather education. For the most part the people that come to this board are for the lack of another word neophytes, people with a smattering of interest in the subject and little else. They come here to learn and not to be pontificated to. If the science her is not to your level, or liking then I suggest that you augment your forum experience by participating in the many newsgroups that are made up of professionals, and academics.

This argument was brought up in another thread; when I challenged several assertions of so-called non-science I was met with a deafening silence. So I am going to repost them here.

In short stop stamping your feet, and answer the questions:

What's the point though? Why have a forum with a bunch of people with little or no scientific knowledge or training running around all making up their own ideas without any evidence of well thought out ideas about how something works?
                              For you there is no point, at least until you learn that people don’t all ways use language the same way you do. How else do we learn?

… How does it lose them? By what means? Crystal shell? By what means do the electrons draw energy into the shell? Or did you just make this up on guesswork? Man I hate how little real science there is on gateworld.
                              Ever hear of a “Piezoelectric crystal” where electron flow is created by applying pressure to the crystal. Some types of crystals react to heat, which is why there is such a thing as crystal ovens in older types of radio equipment, where frequencies had to be held stable. It then stands to reason that even if not so far discovered there could be a crystal material that could, when heated, cause enough of an electron differential within its structure to create a sizable current flow.

If I’m not mistaken apply heat energy to any atom and it becomes more energetic, in some cases moving electrons to higher valence bands.

As to electron loss, maybe you don’t lose electrons but you lose the energy driving them to heat, through resistance. So even in a circuit comprised of super conductors there is still resistance however small. I take it you’ve heard the term electrical resistance, however it works.
                              Last edited by EMSPARKS; 20 August 2005, 04:11 AM. Reason: Advanced dyslexia

Comment

Working...
                              X