This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PoO's

Alright, this may swound stupid to alll of you, but....when an SG team goes to an unexplored planet, and then they come back how do they know what the PoO is for that planet? Is there some way of claulating it from the other 6 symbols in the address?

Its the symbol that they have never seen before as its unique to that gate
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

o ok, thanks a lot.

Comment

It's also always on the same place on the DHD IIRC.

Comment

have they ever said how they get the PoO? like ours looks like the sun above a pyrimid.

like we know the other 6 symbols are constylations but why do u even need the point of origin? u would only need that to plot the course from an external view point, in which case it would need the 6 symbol placment of the planet it is dialing from as well unless the symbol for the origin is just a representative of coord's the gate already knows.

after reading that again i'm not sure i'm explaining my self well, why do u need a point or origin the gate knows where it is and if it dosn't the symbol dosn't mean anything if u can move the gates/dhd's from world to world with no problem (unless when moved u have to reset the point of origin to its current location)

Comment

The reason I think that you need a PoO is to tell the 'gate when to activate. There are 8- and possibly 9-chevron addresses out there.
            Say the address 1-2-3-4-5-6 goes to Grandma's planet, while 1-2-3-4-5-6-7(eight chevron address) goes to another. When does the 'gate know to open the event horizon?
            JACKSON: ...I mean isn't that why we're doing this, all of this? The Stargate program, the budget? Isn't it so we can go and meet new races, gather advanced technology and possibly learn about ourselves in the process?
            VALA: Oh, come on! you do it to meet women.
            MITCHELL: She has a point, sir.
            LANDRY
            : I've been thinking I need to get out on an offworld mission or two.
            Get FireFox! Browse with Tabs!
            Stargate Omega, Now a vBulletin!
            Mmm... Green...

Comment

dont they push the big red button in the middle to activate?

Comment

The whole Point of Origin and plotting a course thing is a load of rubbish anyway.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Originally posted by Three PhDs
                  The whole Point of Origin and plotting a course thing is a load of rubbish anyway.
                  Whyfor you say that?
                  sigpic

Comment

I guess he's either talking about that it's possible to determine a position with less than 6 points, or that the PoO should've been entered when you pushed the orange/blue ball in the center.

Comment

aAnubiSs is right. The big red button is or at least should be the PoO symbol, or an equivlent. The reason being simply that there are only 38 symbols on the DhD and 39 on the gate. So the DHD is missing a symbol and naturally it would be the point of origin.

Comment

I reckon all youse are a bunch of politicians, arguing and agreeing and whatnot. This is the way it was from the very start, the Stargate movie, and if the writers of the series decided to change the way the whole thing actually works, well they'd be pretty damn stupid wouldn't they. All they are trying to do is get the series to work around the movie, and here's you guys going on about PoO's in the DHS's big crystally thingy and constellations and god knows what else. Yeah that's right Three PhD's i'm talkin ta yoo. I personally reckon they've done a good job and I commend them, and if youse haven't seen the movie, well maybe you should. Full Stop.
                        Sheppard: And a nice Delorean...
                        McKay: Oh please, dont even get me started on that movie.
                        Sheppard: I like that movie!

Comment

Originally posted by SeaBee
                          Whyfor you say that?
                          Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                          I guess he's either talking about that it's possible to determine a position with less than 6 points, or that the PoO should've been entered when you pushed the orange/blue ball in the center.
                          Almost right. Yeah you don't really need that many points, and also the whole system is flawed because it relies on cartesian co-ordinates, which are useless in a system where everything's moving relative to everything else. There's also the glaring error that all the constellations they dial in appear on teh DHD or dialling computer as tehy do on Earth today... even though the DHD is thousands of years old and none of those constellations would have existed at the time, oh and they only look as they do from Earth and none of the other planets.

Originally posted by A-bomb
                          I reckon all youse are a bunch of politicians, arguing and agreeing and whatnot. This is the way it was from the very start, the Stargate movie, and if the writers of the series decided to change the way the whole thing actually works, well they'd be pretty damn stupid wouldn't they.
                          They changed other things. I also don't consider putting a mistake right "Pretty damn stupid".

All they are trying to do is get the series to work around the movie, and here's you guys going on about PoO's in the DHS's big crystally thingy and constellations and god knows what else. Yeah that's right Three PhD's i'm talkin ta yoo. I personally reckon they've done a good job and I commend them, and if youse haven't seen the movie, well maybe you should. Full Stop.
                          I've seen the movie, and shown it to be flawed above.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

Yes, the point of origin, is unique to each gate, so each gate has 38 symbols that are the same, and one that will be diffrent on every gate. They somehow memorize all of the common symbols, and then they can identify the odd one out. Possibly, the point of origin is always in the same spot on the DHD as well.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                            X