X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scifi revises season finale dates SG1 SGA

The Futon Critic

http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/newswire.cgi?id=6964 reports

It all begins on Friday, September 16 at 8:00/7:00c with the two-hour summer finale to "Stargate SG-1's" ninth season ("Prototype"/"The Fourth Horseman, Part 1"). The following week on September 23 at 8:00/7:00c look for spin-off "Stargate Atlantis's" two-hour summer swan song to its second season ("Aurora"/"The Lost Boys"). And that same night, "Battlestar Galactica" closes the first half of its sophomore season at 10:00/9:00c ("Pegasus").

Look for all three series to return in January for the latter half of their respective 20-episode seasons.

.....so, two eps of SG1 one week, two of SGA the next.

I think its a great idea
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

This is definitely related to CBS's scheduling of their new scifi series "Threshold" on September 16th. It's normal time period is 9PM, but I think they are doing 2-hours from 9 to 11 on the 16th and moving to their regular slot on the 23rd.

I think SciFi feels that if they can schedule finales on both weeks, they may be more competitive.

Comment

Was just reading on the main page about Sci-Fi changing it's schedule to double up it's final SGA and SG1 episodes before the hiatus. BSG remains the same, with just one episode as normal, rather than two, back to back.

So...what does this mean? If anything? Does it denote a lack of confidence in SG1 and SGA from Sci-Fi? Are they getting bored with them? Worried about viewer nos. and trying to bump them up?

Or does it signify nothing much at all?

I know zip about the inner mysteries of US TV networks <g>, so I'm curious as to what was likely to have prompted this shift. If anyone out there knows.

Albion
        Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Its better this way because you can watch the whole ep so no waiting - I think fan pressure made them change their mind
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

There's a thread down at

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthrea...ewpost&t=15932

on this topic, with MediaSAvant's advice

Comment

Yes, thanks, Prion - I'd just spotted it myself. I rarely venture that far down the forum so I keep having to get my head around the fact that there's actually a folder on the forum that contains all the stories I read on the site's main page. I'll get there eventually.

Interesting.

Albion
              Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Hmmm, that kinda makes the term "cliffhanger" moot, doesn't it? I like the suspense of waiting.....I'm wondering why they decided to do it this way.
                On fighting:
                Farrah: "A swordsman does not fear death, if he dies with honor."
                Dr. Who: "Then he's an idiot."

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant
                  I think SciFi feels that if they can schedule finales on both weeks, they may be more competitive.
                  I don't think SciFi needs to be worried about "Threshold". I've read some online reviews and none of them have been good. In fact, the show has been called, "half-baked" and plain ole, "bad".

When all else fails, change channels.

Comment

Sorry, but I'm having a hard time seeing this as anything other than Scifi trying to protect Atlantis from any sort of competition. My own purely wild speculation is that Threshold doesn't stand much of a chance beyond the first few episodes. Certainly the two hour premier is bound to bring the show its highest ratings.

Perhaps if either Atlantis' or SG-1's ninth episodes had anything remotely resembling major story tie-ins with their respective summer finales I'd be able to see the switch as something more than a defensive move. But that doesn't appear to be the case with either show. No, this is Scifi once again offering SG-1 up as the sacrificial lamb so that Atlantis can be spared. I like both shows. Atlantis is now mature enough and capable enough of a show that it should be able to stand on its own merits. At the very least, it should be given the opportunity to do so. Stunt scheduling like this is unneccesary and doesn't really help either show in the long run. It just pisses me off to see SG-1 get shafted like this again.

I understand where Scifi is coming from. SG-1 has proven itself to have the most stable, reliable fan base of the Sci-fi Friday shows this season. It has seen the smallest ratings decrease this year, while enduring drastic cast and story changes. Galactica's first season ratings have suffered a precipitous drop off, and Atlantis' ratings have seen movement both ways, making it unpredictable. Odds are that SG-1's ratings will fluctuate or suffer the least from the new competition. And, Scifi can now (misleadingly) plug two-hour summer finales to compete with CBS' advertising of Threshold.

Still, the move seems disrespectful to both SG-1 and Atlantis to me. It shoves SG-1 into the role of network work-horse, standing in front of any bullets being fired at Scifi's Friday night dominance. And it implies that Atlantis isn't strong enough to withstand competition. Surely, if Scifi WANTED a nine week summer season, then they would have stuck with the two-hour season premiers which have always garnered tremendous ratings in the past. It's just more poor planning and decision making all-around at Scifi again, only this time they've got more shows to screw up with. Of course, Tripping the Rift is safe, which is what's really important, right?

Comment

So the mid-season finale is a cliffhanger for both shows, right? So the 2nd hour of these showings is pt 1 of 2...or are parts 1 and 2 of 3 being shown?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by FoolishPleasure:
                        I don't think SciFi needs to be worried about "Threshold". I've read some online reviews and none of them have been good. In fact, the show has been called, "half-baked" and plain ole, "bad".
                        True, but they're still clearly worried that the show's premiere will effect their first-run Sci-Fi Friday ratings. And while Threshold's ratings may dwindle as the show progresses into the winter, the first few weeks, which are those that line up with Scifi's line up, are going to be the show's highest rated. Unless, of course, it turns out to be a breakout hit. Then Scifi will really be in trouble.

Comment

Folks, its still a cliffhanger. Episode 9 and 10 will run together and episode 11 will run after the break. It is Episodes 10 that has the cliffhanger that will be resolved with Episode 11.

For SGI we will get Prototype and Four Hoursemen Pt 1 before the break, establishing a cliffhanger, and get Four Horsemen Part 2 after break, resolving the cliffhanger.

The same goes for Atlantis, get Auroa and Lost Boys (which is basiclly a part one) and The Hive (basiclly part two) after break to resolve the cliffhanger.

Comment

Hey, I really rather happen to LIKE Tripping The Rift. And it's on Friday anyways, so why even bring it up. If you don't like it then just don't watch it. It's as simple as that.

Comment

Originally posted by FoolishPleasure
                              Originally posted by MediaSavant
                              Not everybody reads such reviews, and might therefore end up investing an episode or two before bailing. Network dramas usually have bigger budgets and supposedly higher burden to meet in terms of quality... so even I will tape the damned thing to reach my own conclusions.

However, if you've got the links to said reviews, FoolishPleasure, I'd be appreciative. A few reviews, especially if it is a well detailed and rational pan, and/or from a reviewer I've come to trust, are always welcome.

Comment

Working...
                              X