This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Real science

I was wondering if a ZPM generates more than 1.21 Jiggawatts. Obviously lightning has enough power to make the shields in Atlantis work and the Delorean work so what's the go??
    Why don't all the stargate scientists get Uranium or a Mr. Fusion and power it with some compost.

rofl.....cause if they did there would probly be less stargate atlantis

Comment

To power the shield it took several extremly conectrated burst of lighting all around the city, and it was only able to sustain the shield for a short amout of time. Obviously the combined power from the lighting strikes is more than a nuclear reaction, otherwise they could power the shields with a naquadah reactor.

Owen Macri

Comment

You mis-titled the thread and it is also a duplicate thread. The thread where we were already discussing this is called, "how much power does the ZPM produce?"

Comment

It is quite similar.

Owen Macri

Comment

and I may be wrong but its Gigawatts right?
            My Blog - - Raise The Fist

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
              To power the shield it took several extremly conectrated burst of lighting all around the city, and it was only able to sustain the shield for a short amout of time. Obviously the combined power from the lighting strikes is more than a nuclear reaction, otherwise they could power the shields with a naquadah reactor.

Owen Macri

Also Owen don't forget while it did take several extremly concentrated lightning strikes, they did need to store enough power to get the shields to run for the time required.

On the same subject, being it took SO MUCH power from the lightning to get the shield generators to run for about 10 seconds, it gives us a idea of how much power a ZPM can store. 1.21 gigawatts * 7 strikes *10seconds *6 10 second intervals *60 minutes *24hrs *3500yrs and that is your answer, well not quite, but in sheer watts it should help. which if my math is correct (Most likely not) is well over 256 billion gigawatts of energy which would be enough to power this planet with everything running for about a 1000 years without any concern.

Comment

Originally posted by DHD
                Also Owen don't forget while it did take several extremly concentrated lightning strikes, they did need to store enough power to get the shields to run for the time required.

On the same subject, being it took SO MUCH power from the lightning to get the shield generators to run for about 10 seconds, it gives us a idea of how much power a ZPM can store. 1.21 gigawatts * 7 strikes *10seconds *6 10 second intervals *60 minutes *24hrs *3500yrs and that is your answer, well not quite, but in sheer watts it should help. which if my math is correct (Most likely not) is well over 256 billion gigawatts of energy which would be enough to power this planet with everything running for about a 1000 years without any concern.
                You do know that watts mean joule per second?

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                  You do know that watts mean joule per second?
                  actually being I am not big into electricity I can't say I did. But thank you for your correction.

Comment

I am not sure your calculations are corect, where did you get the figure of seven strikes and the figure of ten seconds. As well, the amount of energy in a lightning strike will vary between strikes.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by DHD
                      actually being I am not big into electricity I can't say I did. But thank you for your correction.
                      Didn't you say you were a Scientist friend of Jaden before?

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

My country alone uses about 6 Tarawatts, i think 256 billion does not come even close to the power required for eurth

Comment

Originally posted by Owen Macri
                          I am not sure your calculations are corect, where did you get the figure of seven strikes and the figure of ten seconds. As well, the amount of energy in a lightning strike will vary between strikes.

Owen Macri
                          When you watch the episode 'The Eye' the shield is up for almost 10 seconds. And yes while lightning energy varies, I was going by what he said earlier on. So on that number.....

Comment

he also forgot to multiply with 365.25

Comment

Originally posted by aAnubiSs
                              he also forgot to multiply with 365.25
                              Thank you, As I said before I am not big into Electricity. But that only amplifies it up even more.

Comment

Working...
                              X