This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Omnipedia 2.0

Hey, Omnipedia enthusiasts! I would like to take a moment to thank you for all of your patience these past few months as we have delayed updates. But now it's time for rejoicing!

Darren has spent a considerable amount of time developing a Content Management System tailor-made for the Omnipedia! Existing entries have been transferred into the CMS, and it'll make it considerably easier to add new ones! (In fact, if you take a peak now, you'll find 5-6 new entries for each incomplete section!)

Some of the benefits of Omni 2.0:
    More updates more often- We will be dishing out entries far more often than what you are used to. Once we are caught up with past and present entries eventually we will reach a point where the Omnipedia will only need to be updated on a New Episode basis, and that time won't be extremely far off. Get ready for a ride, you die-hards!

"Link Here" feature now for ALL entries- The CMS automatically applies the "Link Here" feature to every entry, even new ones, automatically! That way you won't have any difficulty referencing any entry in online discussions from now on.

Accurate Counting- "See:" entries no longer count toward the tally of TOTAL entries OR section entries. We took a bit of heat a while back for adding every single entry to the final tally, so now what you see as the total number of entries is indeed only the items with actual content.

Actors' Web sites- You may be surprised who has a Web site! We've gone through and added Official Actor Site links to about 50 of the Character's entries so far. If you come across a character's entry where the corresponding actor doesn't have a Web link next to their name, and you KNOW the address to their official site, use the built-in "Contact the Editor" form on the left of the main menu and I will plug it in! Keep in mind that not every actor has an official Web site . Domains also shift frequently, so if you come across a dead link, be sure to notify me – especially if you know where the Web site is currently located.
    Last edited by David; 31 July 2005, 05:22 AM.

Has this been done? The omnipedia seems the same to me
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

New entries have been added to each section to give you a small taste of what's to come in the next few days.

"Races" is now updated through "Lost City, Part 2."
      Miscellany will follow next with more than 130 entries ready to go.
      More than 100 images have been updated to DVD quality, particularly Season Seven items.
      Last edited by David; 31 July 2005, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I think a topic devoted to the Omnipedia's publishing schedule would be a great idea. That way there is one topic for all the updates etc and everyone can find it and find out when the latest updates will be added etc without having to ask, also might stop loads of topics popping up about when it will be updated etc.

Look forward to seeing the updated Omnipedia.

Comment

I think you should also add a form where people can submit corrections
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by David
            New entries have been added to each section to give you a small taste of what's to come in the next few days.

"Races" is now updated through "Lost City, Part 2."
            Miscellany will follow next with more than 130 entries ready to go.
            More than 100 images have been updated to DVD quality, particularly Season Seven items.
            I must say I am looking forward to the new omnipedia. We appreciate what you do for us. It must be really hard trying to document everything from season 1 till 9 but it takes a lot and a lot of time !!
            Lord Zedd

Comment

A thread detailing updates would be great.

Comment

Originally posted by _Anubis
                It must be really hard trying to document everything from season 1 till 9 but it takes a lot and a lot of time !!
                To be honest I've been documenting entries for three years come this spring. Even after all that time it's still complicated keeping everything straight. The more that goes up, hopefully the more that will straighten out!!

Comment

An interesting thing just happened:

From the energy vortex article, I clicked the "FORUM" link, which directed me to the address www.gateworld.net/index.php, which does not exist. Anyway, I just figured that I'd better mention it.
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                    I think that is a great idea... and not just for the Omnipedia but for the main site as well. I know of a couple of places on the main GateWorld webpage that there are spelling mistakes or grammatical errors or simple cannonical errors.

It would be great if there was a form or simply a link where we could email Darren about the correction.

For instance if you click on SG-1 at the top of the page you are brought main SG-1 page with links and descriptions for all 9 seasons of Stargate. Well under Season 8 it says:

"Changing is in the air at the S.G.C., as Jack O'Neill steps into the big shoes following General Hammond's reassignment. Old enemies prove they can't be written off so easily."

That should obviously be "Change is in the air..." Simple stuff like that could easily be caught and reported! Also in the Primer it says the Stargate was built thousands of years ago when we know it was built millions of years ago... I know Darren is already aware of that one as I pointed it out in another thread.

But it would be great if there was some kind of system for reporting errors. But not to get too far off topic, it's great to see that the Omnipedia will start getting new entries.

Thank you for all your hard work David and Darren!

Ace
                    "Good Morning Dr. Silberman. How's the knee?" - Sarah Connor 1994

Comment

Originally posted by qasimjavid
                      Already done! The Contact the Editor form contains a drop-down option where you can submit an Error Correction

Comment

Originally posted by Ace
                        I think that is a great idea... and not just for the Omnipedia but for the main site as well. I know of a couple of places on the main GateWorld webpage that there are spelling mistakes or grammatical errors or simple cannonical errors.

It would be great if there was a form or simply a link where we could email Darren about the correction.
                        http://www.gateworld.net/feedback.shtml -- or click the "Write To Us" link at the bottom of the GateWorld home page. Thanks! Corrections are always appreciated.
                        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Miscellany 2.0 is now up and available.
                          132 brand new entries.

Ready to go: The Avalon Trilogy
                          On deck: Siege III - Runner

Comment

Great work thanks a lot

If somebody thought that some piece of information was missing would you be open to them writing a short paragraph that you could add to the omnipedia or would you prefer that they notify you and you do it yourself.
                            love Torri

Comment

We would prefer that you just write down the entry you're looking for. I don't want to give too much away but at some point down the road Darren and I are plannng to go ... bigger with the Omnipedia than an on-line database (If he wants to say more he can), and if others have written material it will make things very, very hairy.

Comment

Working...
                              X