This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SGA Season 2: Tone

Well I finally saw Condemned, and while overall it was okay, I totally felt like something was missing. So I watched The Runner, Duet and then Childhood's End again on TMNonDemand (sort of a built in Tivo thing - more on that later) and I realized what it was, why none of Season 2 has made me feel the way Season 1 did... TONE. The tone of the show has totally changed.

I was never a die-hard SG1 fan, but I've watched my fair share of episodes and I think it has a more general appeal because it's a pretty light show. (Now there may have been darker episodes that I just haven't seen so don't get crazy). But SGA is (was) different.

When I first saw the premiere of Atlantis, I was impressed. When I saw the Wraith I leapt for joy (the first female wraith is still the best one I've seen yet). When Sheppard shot Sumner I knew I was hooked. It was serious, it was dark, it was witty (not just funny) it was just... so damn good.

So far Season 2 has yet to create that feeling. And I don't think it has anything to do with the actual stories. The Superford story line is quite dark and has the potential to be quite disturbing, I mean he is killing wraith and then gutting them for that enzyme. But in "The Runner" this was completely overshadowed by McKay whining (though that didn't really bother me) and the introduction of Ronan (which I've complained about elsewhere). Ronans character also has the potential to be pretty dark (instead of just monosyllibic) but I'm probably being a little early in my judgement of him and should "wait and see."

As I said above, it really hit me last night (the tone of the show) because the episode was dealing with some pretty serious subject matter. A prison as a feeding ground, criminals ready to do anything to get off "the island." When I first read the spoiler for it, I was excited. It seemed like it was going to be an Eloi, Morlock kinda thing, you know "what cost is too great for freedom?" and all that. And while it sorta was on the outside, the inside was kinda hollow for me. There were still some great moments, I loved Shep's "I'm not scared, I'm lazy" and the Can/Am banter (albeit brief) about capital punishment.

I also liked when McKay got called on his "I can't fix it" ploy - As a side note: that is probably the most important and revealing character point we've seen about Rodney yet, hats off to the writing team on that one.

Anyways, I saw the ratings for Friday nights episode and they're up (2.1), so maybe I'm alone on this. I also know the saying "if it ain't broke..." and it seems that most people are extremely happy with the current season. But that doesn't mean I can't hope right? Some of the plotlines for upcoming episodes seem to be a little less fun(ny) - not that I don't like to laugh of course.

And at least we'll always have The Defiant One, Poisoning the Well, Thirty Eight Minutes, Childhood's End, Siege Part 1.... (sigh)

Thoughts?
    Last edited by birdieey; 16 August 2005, 07:21 PM.
    b.

I never really felt that the first season was very dark, myself, so the tone seems to be more of the same in season 2. Actually, if anything, the intrusive effect of the SuperFord story--that feeling that the Wraith aren't just some far-off threat, that they can strike at home and take one of our own right out from under us--has injected a highly dramatic and creepy overtone in this season that wasn't there before. The relative bubble of safety that existed in season 1 has disappeared. But even that's minor. I've always viewed SGA as a fun sci-fi romp, just like SG-1. The villains are very over-the-top and goofy, the protagonists are quirky and flip, and the plot holes occasionally loom large, but all in all it is, first and foremost, an entertaining show. Besides, as a comic fan who lived through the "grim & gritty" period of the '80s, I tend to view "dark" stuff as cliché and boring anyway, like those angsty teens who listen to Nine Inch Nails in their darkened basements.
    Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
    Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
    Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
    Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCorpulent1
      I never really felt that the first season was very dark, myself, so the tone seems to be more of the same in season 2.
      Really? I thought the whole suicide when you turn 25 thing was a little dark, and Sheppard killing Sumner. Don't get me wrong, I don't want the show to be depressing, I just thought that last season felt a little more real.

And I don't listen to NIN in my basement, I listen to them in my bedroom (that has black painted walls).

------------
      AA (angsty adult)

b.

Comment

Heh, I listen to NIN too. And furthermore, I was one of those angsty teens lo so many years ago.

The suicide at 25 thing was serious, sure, but it was dealt with in a way that kept it light, in my opinion, partly because of Sheppard's irreverence about just about everything. SG-1's early seasons had a much more serious tone than anything SG-1's later seasons or SGA have put forth. Bottom line, when I think of words to describe SGA, the first one that comes to mind is "fun." I enjoy seeing the characters do what they do and while the situations are sometimes serious, the characters themselves tend to remain very flip about it, which lightens the mood. That's just me, though.

Comment

I thought The Defiant One was pretty dark.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
          Spoiler:

Comment

The Defiant One was down right scary (for me atleast). It is my fav SGA ep to date.

Perfecto!

Comment

season 1 they seem to be making more enemies than allies.
              Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Very true.

5th Season of Supernatural Premiering September 10th!
                Spoiler:

Comment

Hm, true, I think the whole idea of the wraith a little spooky common, half human things that can suck the life outta you with they're hands?! that's gotta be at least a little intimidating..

Stargate Gateworld RPG. All are welcome!|Jim Andersons Bio.

Comment

and also all the enemies were so arrogant and selfish, caring about themselves only without looking at the bigger picture.
                    Hallowed are the Xander. Love, Worship, and Rep/Green your all-powerful, omniscient God!

Comment

Originally posted by Ascended Times.2
                      Hm, true, I think the whole idea of the wraith a little spooky common, half human things that can suck the life outta you with they're hands?! that's gotta be at least a little intimidating..
                      That's all stuff that you personally apply to the concept in your mind. I'm talking about the visual of the Wraith. They're goofy-looking, with their mouths stuffed full of oversized teeth (and you gotta wonder just why the hell a species evolved from toothless bugs that feeds through its hands would have teeth in the first place). At least, that's how I feel about them.

"The Defiant One" creeped me out a bit because of Nyan's (can't remember his SGA name ) character arc in it. He went from a young, energetic guy who was full of life to having to deal with the fact that he would die slowly and painfully right there. The human element of it and how he played it were creepy. But the millennia-old Wraith? Cool for the implications that it provides for the show, but not particularly scary to me.

Comment

I think classifying how 'dark' something is depends on each particular person. I myself have found S1 and the first a couple of S2 fantastic. I'm not too bothered what it contains, as long as its enjoyable. For instance if they where to loose a little humour but replace it with some great action sequences im not bothered.

Anyhow, I personally havn't noticed a difference anyway lol.

Comment

i didnt think any of the ep in season one were dark expt the storm and the eye

Comment

I agree the tone is somewhat altered but I don't think it's because the writing or the stories have changed. I think it's the sense of being able to breathe for a moment as the sense of impending doom is over or at least suspended.
                            The whole first season they were under threat of imminent death, either from the city itself or the Wraith. It was about surviving. Now it's about living so the constant tension isn't there. Now there are individual stories that aren't tightly tethered to the arc, so it's more like SG1... before season 9 anyway.
                            If they do things as I expect I think things will continue to build as the season continues. I look forward to it.

"You know what would make a good story? Something about a clown who makes people happy, but inside he's real sad. Also, he has severe diarrhea." - Jack Handy

Comment

Working...
                            X