X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tsunami clue to 'Atlantis' found

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4153008.stm

A submerged island that could be the source of the Atlantis myth was hit by a large earthquake and tsunami 12,000 years ago, a geologist has discovered.

Spartel Island now lies 60m under the sea in the Straits of Gibraltar, but some think it once lay above water.

The finding adds weight to a hypothesis that the island could have inspired the legend recounted by the philosopher Plato more than 2,000 years ago.

Evidence comes from a seafloor survey published in the journal Geology.
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Yeah, I got interested too - until, of course you get to the very end of the article when it blows the theory out of the water completely and concedes that Spartal is probably nothing to do with Atlantis after all.

Don't you just hate news organisations that pump up a story with an exciting headline, lead you all the way through an article telling you one thing and then wait till the end to tell you it's a complete non-story with a one-liner that contradicts the entire article up to that point?

But the mapping of the island carried out by Dr Gutscher failed to turn up any manmade structures and also showed that the island was much smaller than previously believed.

This could make it less likely that the island was inhabited by a civilisation.
    They could have told us that bit at the start and saved me wasting a minute of my valuable life and a lot of digital bytes.

Albion
    Listen, we had General Ryan come on and do a little cameo for us, and he's a real live four star, one of the big guys. And I had to ask him point blank, because there's a certain irreverence that I bring to the character, and denseness, but while we were doing this scene, I just looked at him and said, "Do you have guys like me in...?" and he stopped me and said, "Yes, and worse, and you're doing a fine job, son."

Richard Dean Anderson

Comment

Working...
    X