Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chevron locked or unlocked i don't know, do you?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chevron locked or unlocked i don't know, do you?

i have noticed that the gate on earth the chevrons move they move inwards then lock out, but on other gates the chevrons don't lock and on some planets they lock but other they just light up.

i thought this was just that the earth gate was different and that eithet the antartci gate was diffrent to the egypt gate can anyone explain the reason behind this?
    For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

The reason, I hate to say it, is that the producers have been inconsistent with the shows. And many times it has apeared diffrently. When the plot requires more time, the chevrons will usually lock.

Owen Macri

Comment

Nay, only chevrons on earth open and close, this is because the computer is unable to send glyph data directly to a chevron, it can only send signals like "rotate clockwise", "rotate counterclockwise", "stop" and "lock". The DHDs are capable of transmitting exactly the right data, when you press pisces it is immediately sent to chevron 1 and it lights up. On earth if you want to designate pisces you have to position the ring so pisces is undernead the top chevron and tell the gate "that one". The top chevron then opens, closes and chevron 1 lights up with pisces stored within it.

It's been remarkably consistent in that regard, too.
      Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Actually, we have seen chevrons lock off world before. I just can't put my finger on an episode.

Owen Macri

Comment

I assure you, we haven't.
          Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

I could swear I have seen it happen before, but I won't because the forum is rated PG. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

our chevrons lock and unlock b/c we dont have a dhd and we jerry rigged a system to work the gate and we have to have so much power to unlock the inner ring to spin now off world gates can "fast diel" by taping the symbols fast then activate the gate

Comment

Surely as we now have several large ships then we could just steal stargates from disused planets, such as the one where they sent Anubis in Chekovs body, anyway, this way each ship could have a stargate inside it and they could also steal a DHD to give to Earth. The ships Should have better gate rooms though with permanent machine gun turrets and use a force field for an Iris as well as the Titanium one like at the SGC.
                "I don't know what Irony means but I use it alot, Ironic isn't it"

"Sure there have been deaths and injuries in boxing, but none of them serious"

Bloke:Fat Penguin
                Woman:What
                Bloke:I just wanted to say something that would break the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Salas1
                  Surely as we now have several large ships then we could just steal stargates from disused planets, such as the one where they sent Anubis in Chekovs body, anyway, this way each ship could have a stargate inside it and they could also steal a DHD to give to Earth. The ships Should have better gate rooms though with permanent machine gun turrets and use a force field for an Iris as well as the Titanium one like at the SGC.
                  There's no reason to steal gates from other planets, unless of course we need them for other worlds that lack Stargates.

There's no need for gates on ships either. The only time they'd work is when you're near an established address, so you might as well just stick them on the planets where they're needed.

Earth doesn't need a DHD. Earth has a need to dial other galaxies from time to time, and you can't do that with a DHD unless you have a special control crystal installed. The dialing computer at the SGC does all that just fine. Sure, it's hacked, but it's better than a DHD in many regards.
                  Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Owen, if you could find that episode where the gate locks each chevron individually off-world, then that would be immensly helpful.

Also, I agree, in the early days, a dhd would have been better, but now our system is getting more advanced, it's quite cool. forinstance, we can travel to other galaxies, we can ignore stargate feedback data to get a lock anyway. The only problem is that the dialling system ignores 220 (?) of the possible 400 feedback signals, but once mcKay pointed that out i'm sure it was fixed. so, aslong as you're willing to sacrifice speed, the earth dialling system is excellent.
                    "I have a B.A., M.D., Ph.D and B.Sc. Maybe one day I'll get a J.O.B."

"A word to the wise ain't necessary -- it's the stupid ones that need the advice."

"He who laughs last didn't get it."

Comment

i think the episode to see the gate off world locking is i think COTG but don't quote me on that i will have a look but im pretty sure it was a early episode and im deffinately sure it has happend so the DHD analasis is outa the window.
                      For all the pollution woes on Earth, will the Human race end up taking those problems into space in the future?

We can all call our ships Sports Utility Ships to curtail the carbon emissions and hypersleep at night

Comment

Ok, well, when I have some time I will look over the episodes which I have on DVD.

Owen Macri

Comment

Originally posted by cozzerob
                          Owen, if you could find that episode where the gate locks each chevron individually off-world, then that would be immensly helpful.

Also, I agree, in the early days, a dhd would have been better, but now our system is getting more advanced, it's quite cool. forinstance, we can travel to other galaxies, we can ignore stargate feedback data to get a lock anyway. The only problem is that the dialling system ignores 220 (?) of the possible 400 feedback signals, but once mcKay pointed that out i'm sure it was fixed. so, aslong as you're willing to sacrifice speed, the earth dialling system is excellent.
                          Ok, well, when I have some time I will look over the episodes which I have on DVD.

Owen Macri

Comment

"Shades of Grey" In the end(DVD, end of track 4) when sg-1 go back to eath and Jack is watching them, while Sam dails, the chevrons light up one at a time
                            This is my sugnature!
                            Spelled wrong so no one steals it!

Comment

Light up, or physically, move forward then backwards again?

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X