This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genetically Modified Food.

I was Reading this Article in AOL about Genetically Modified Foods. Should We mess with Nature? My opinion is that we always have. We have done so for a long time, we used the stone to kill the Lion, and we turned the Iron to Steal, but because we needed it. Do We REally Need Purple Carrots?
    http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/7...itebeam6aw.gif

Are SEEDLESS Watermellons Genetically Modified or is it a Different Specie of Watermelon?

Comment

They are actually just a different species (if that's the correct term) of watermelon. And, seeing as this relates to Stargate in no way whatsoever, I kindly ask those wonderful mods to move this thread into "Off-Topic Chatter."
      Rocky

Comment

Yo Mods!
        [email protected]
        http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
        One nation under dog
        There of which I stand alone
        A face in the crowd
        Unsung, against the mold
        Without a doubt
        Singled out
        The only way I know

Comment

It has to do that some people think that God Created Everything and we should not change it.

Comment

WHICH god? It seems to me that there have been a number of gods on Stargate. However, if you're talking about gengineering, you most likely want Nirrti. She's the Gene Queen.

Be that as it may, genetically modified food still has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with Stargate and I would have thought that even YOU would realize that.

Another theory ruined.

I have no problem with gengineered food. I think it will likely be a saving grace at some point in the future. Provided it is properly utilized.

Comment

It reminds me of SeaQuest. Meat products were basically outlawed and all the food was hydroponic (sp?) reproductions of eggs and meat and cheese. It could happen. Someday we could all be eating dehydrated astronaut food.

It was, is, and always will be GREEN

Comment

I dont have a problem with it at all. By having engineered food we wont need to have to kill animals wont need as much farm land and we could also have more population and not have to worry about all of the hunger problems. I just wonder how good it will taste hopefully it gets a better reaction then carter did.

Comment

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!

Oh wait, wrong movie...

Comment

Purple carrots aren't genetically engineered, they're a natural strain that actually predates the orange kind :-P

Seedless watermelons aren't genetically engineered, seedless fruit tends to be a cross of two strains that are sufficiently different to each other to make the offspring sterile. Like a horse and a donkey are both equine and have offspring which are sterile.

Madeleine

Comment

I've never had a purple carrot, but I like purple better than orange. Generally speaking.

Comment

Blood oranges are another yummy yet weird foodstuff.

In a way we already employ genetic altering: Selective Breeding. We've been doing it for hundreds of years, ensuring the strongest and yummiest survive, I call it Delectable Darwinism.

Its not exactly gene splicing or altering, since we never directly interfere with the code, we let the animal (or plant) do THAT themselves, but we provide the repoductive process with the best genes to choose from, increasing the chance that the results will be favorable, sine the offspring of an animal is created using 1/2 of the DNA from one parent ans 1/2 from the other.

Can't remember if its EXACTLY like that with plants, but they are also subject to selective breeding (Gregor Mendel was doing it when our great-graddaddies were still in diapers!).

I remember a while back I saw selectively-bred or gene-engineered blue crayfish on a pet website....
                        [email protected]

One nation under dog
                        A face in the crowd
                        Unsung, against the mold
                        Without a doubt
                        Singled out
                        The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                          Like a horse and a donkey are both equine and have offspring which are sterile.
                          Like a mule you mean?
                          [email protected]

One nation under dog
                          A face in the crowd
                          Unsung, against the mold
                          Without a doubt
                          Singled out
                          The only way I know

Comment

Originally posted by Shipperahoy
                            It reminds me of SeaQuest. Meat products were basically outlawed and all the food was hydroponic (sp?) reproductions of eggs and meat and cheese. It could happen. Someday we could all be eating dehydrated astronaut food.
                            Anybody here remember "Space Sticks"?When I was a kid in the 70's ,"Carnation" brand foods came out with these these things that looked a bit like "Slim-Jims" but were chocolate {& lord knows what else flavoring}.
                            My best recollection was that I thought they tasted "9-kinds-of-nasty"![that's something a friend used to say & I still use it on occasion].
                            nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

I'm not sure if seedless watermelons are a young fruit (seedless aren't always seedless) or if they are a graft of a freak of nature (like some seedless orange strains). I like them, but they're no good in spitting contests.

Technically speaking, we've been genetically-modifying fruits, vegetables and animals since at least the development of agriculture, if not earlier. However, we've been doing it within the biological confines of species, i.e., selective breeding. It's with the advent of genetic engineering that things have gotten, IMHO, odd. Normally, a mouse would not be able to breed with worm, but now we have mice with nematode genes that produce fatty oils beneficial to humans. I won't get into the argument only to say that I am 100% comfortable with the fact that chopping onions makes my eyes water. The only reason I can think of to genetically-remove that little side effect from the onion is to pay for the research that went into discovering that it could be done...hmmmmm....
                              Urgo: I wanna live, I wanna experience the universe and I wanna eat pie!
                              O'Neill: Who doesn't?
                              - Urgo, Stargate: SG-1, Episode 3.16

"Let's be real here. It should be fun. We're not saving lives, we're entertaining them."
                              - RDA, Stargate SG-1: The Lowdown

some assembly required, batteries not included, action figures sold seperately
                              once done, cannot be undone...
                              brought to you by Anthro Girl, Grand Pooh-Bah of the SFA

Comment

Working...
                              X