This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack being general

While it might be a good promotion for Jack, for the show, I think it will have lost one of its major elements. Jack's character is a gung-ho, 'dumb', comical type of guy. He is one of the major elements of the show that keeps it going, because you have his comical attitude getting in the way of Carter's and Jackson's 'smartness' that does kinda drag the show along when they start doing the techno-babble stuff. Just seeing Jack's face when they start babbling as well as his comments brings a laugh to me. Now, with him being taken out of the main group, we aren't going to see this effect very often, basically only in briefings and other side shots in SGC. Its not going to be the same show, as it will be more technical than comical/action packed. The team had a really good mix with Jack, Daniel, Sam and T'ealc. Jack was comical, Jack and T'ealc was the action and Sam and Daniel were the smarts and level headed thinkers of the team. And to remove Hammond from the show is a real big kicker. He was the level-headed, cool-headed, non-emotional decision maker that made all the right moves. With Jack taking over, he will not have that kind of decision making, as it will more be break out the nukes and will allow his emotions to make most of his decisions.

I do have a comment about your whole post in general, but its the last part about Jacks emotions i really want to comment on right now. The way Hammond operated the SGC was with emotions as well, even when he didn't have the back up he needed from the president, he himself went through the gate and did the job himself, saving SG1 and the other teams. I think Jack would do the same job, throughout the years, yes they have only showed the sides that they wanted us to see, but i think now Jack will think more leveled, but if he didn't react the sameway he has always been throughout the years, they would have died a long time ago. Although i do understand theres a lot of changes and stuff, the show will probably still be the same SG1 it always has been, with things removed and added. But yes, we haven't seen Jack in charge of the SGC yet, so i'm just speculating
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by Rhyus
      Jack's character is a gung-ho, 'dumb', comical type of guy.
      He didn't used to be stupid, ever. He used to be very sharp, always on the ball, just rather sarcastic and witty. I thought that was great.

I don't find 'dumb' to be comical anyway. *Witty* makes me laugh, *dumb* makes me wonder what the heck is going on with this chap who's supposed to be saving the Earth etc.

I'm not a fan of people 'playing dumb' when they're actually pretty bright. Jack has to be pretty bright, or there's no way he could be a colonel. I welcome the promotion to General, it makes me hope that Jack will be more like the old Jack who used to take things seriously and not pretend to be a complete idiot for no reason.

Madeleine

Comment

I just hope the writers don't over-evolve his character. He is definately the take-charge, immediate action sort of guy and though he'll have to make those types of important decisions as general I can't imagine him ever conforming to a desk job. My other concern is we will see less of the original team together. We're loosing Hammond and that sucks in itself. Anderson's shooting time might be reduced but if the show becomes too focused on just the remainding three his absence (both from the set and from the team) will be accutely noticed. His witty sarcasm is a necessary dynamic.
        "Woo-hoo! Sorry, I got caught up in Teal'c's enthusiasm."--Jack, "Tangent"

Comment

I wonder if his witty sarcasm will change when
          he is left behind when sg1 goes through the gate.
          He hides behind that witty mask so well that i
          think it would be great to see behind it and
          peek into the real O'neill, a good move putting
          him in charge of the SGC.
          ......TARA......

Comment

Possible "New Order" SPOILERS
            His personality is not going to change once he takes over the SGC. The personality of Colonel O'Neill is based off Richard Dean Anderson's personality and he is a very funny, witty guy. Plus, if anyone watched that clip from the Late Late Show with Craig Kilborn, you could see Jack being his old self.
            Rocky

Comment

I think thats before he is promoted, right? (Talking about the clip ) From the looks of it, i think it was New Order 2, but thats just a guess.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                I think thats before he is promoted, right? (Talking about the clip ) From the looks of it, i think it was New Order 2, but thats just a guess.
                Yeah, I think it was from before he was promoted too, but it just seems to me that he'll stay the same. The clip from Conan also seems very "O'Neill-ish"
                Rocky

Comment

I'd like to see Jack wear Simpsons attire off-duty in just ONE episode! That would be hilarious. Or maybe a Homer bobblehead on his desktop while he's doing desk work.
                  Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                  more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Originally posted by Torley
                    I'd like to see Jack wear Simpsons attire off-duty in just ONE episode! That would be hilarious. Or maybe a Homer bobblehead on his desktop while he's doing desk work.
                    Me too, but wouldn't the producers of the Simpsons have to approve that? I'm sure they would, but it could be that there are too many legalities involved. Does anyone know for sure?
                    Rocky

Comment

Ok, maybe 'dumb' wasn't the correct word, but, he does 'act' like he doesn't know anything, even if he does. I forgot the episode, but, the scene was Sam, Jack and Hammond. Sam was trying to explain something and Jack jumped in and explained the workings of the wormhole, which, Sam said that he was right about. For the rest of the scene, each time you saw Jack, he kept saying, "I was right." If my memory serves me right, I think it was Red Sky from 5th season. Yes, I know Jack isn't stupid, as he can pilot jet fighters along with the X302. And, he has even had a chance at piloting a cargo ship and I think he even had a turn at a mothership once. And to be able to pilot any of those craft, you have to have brains. But, when I was talking about being 'dumb', I was talking about all those times that Sam or even Daniel starts explaining things in real detail and you see Jack and it looks like their words are hurting his brain. But, in the end, Jack knows exactly what is happening. But, with him taking over as General of SGC, either they are going to focus more on doing base shows or they are going to do the missions without Jack present for most of them and it is going to not be as good. I have a feeling that things are going to become more techno-babble or not as gung-ho as before with Jack in charge of SG-1.

Comment

Not if they report in as they are suppose to. just cause you don't see him don't mean you can't here him. he can do that over the phone. Hammon did it all the time. Here you but don't see him.

Comment

According to spoilers, it sure seems like they are going to first deal with Jack getting comfortable in his brand new chair, with the handy dandy red phone But i'm going to have to see the episodes first before i can judge

Comment

Originally posted by littlemigueljr
                            But i'm going to have to see the episodes first before i can judge
                            Without a doubt Miguel (if that's your real name), while it's all right to speculate, it really bugs me when people nitpick things with out even seeing them There is actually an Atlantis nitpicker thread over in the Atlantis forum. It makes no sense. So, let's all wait tell July 9th, after "New Order" premieres, before we judge.[
                            Rocky

Comment

People can speculate and guess, but i think what the person is doing is gathering the past references to Jack's character being 'not to smart', and even said a thing about 'dumbness', but we haven't seen Jack as leader of SGC yet, which is a big change to what he used to be doing, well maybe not 'big', since he was the leader of SG1.

Comment

Working...
                              X