This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mitchell Confusion

Don't take it wrong, I like Cameron Mitchell lots. I just have some confusion about him.

We know that Cameron came to the SGC and was told to pick out his team to create a new SG1 and he didn't know that.

If Cameron didn't know SG1 had disbanded of the original members, did he think he was coming to replace Sam Carter as leader? How would that be working with her on SG1?

Did Cameron know that Sam had left the SGC and was no longer leader of SG1 but didn't know that Teal'c and Daniel had left too. Was he expecting to be leading them but not have Sam Carter around?

It just doesn't make sense and it makes me wonder because Cameron seems not so arrogent that he would expect Sam Carter to be stepping aside for him as leader of SG1.

Is anyone else as confused by this as me? Or did I miss something that explains it all?
    This post was written by LastMag

("last mag." is my favorite Jack O'Neill quote from the episode 'Thor's Hammer')

When Mitchell came to SGC, he thought he was *joining* SG-1. But Landry told him, "no, you're leading SG-1." That's when Mitchell said, what about Carter, and Landry told him that Carter had left, and so had Daniel and Teal'c. So Mitchell thought he was joining the old team, but found out there was no old team anymore. Which meant he had to find a new team, and by the way, he's the new leader too.

Comment

Right. Mitchell just wanted to join the team. He must have known that O'Neill wasn't on the team, but I think he did expect him to be heading the SGC. When Landry told him that he had to pick his team, Mitchell thought Landry wanted him to start a new team, SG-27, or whatever. Then this conversation:

Mitchell: General, I'm here to join SG1.

Landry: Colonel, you're here to lead SG1.

Mitchell: Uh, what about Lt Col Carter?
      Then he is told that Carter, Teal'c and Jackson have moved on.

He definitely expected to be working under the leadership of Carter and just be one of the guys on the team.

I'm not sure I see the arrogance that you do, at least, not in conjunction with the SGC or SG-1. He expected to learn from Carter, Teal'c and Jackson and was upset that that wasn't happening. He even showed his insecurity of working without them when he talked to Carter and asked her, "What if the world needs saving, 'cos I screwed up 'cos you weren't here in the first place?" He also seems very willing to learn to Daniel, asking him questions and trying to understand the answers, so he's not arrogant to him. At least twice he's told Teal'c that his ideas are "genius", and he's actively trying to convince everyone to come back. I would think if he was arrogant enough to think he should automatically be put in charge that he would be arrogant enough to think he could do it with an entirely new team.

Maybe if you could give me some examples of what you mean?

You might be referring to the flashbacks, but I see that as partly because he was their leader, and, well, aren't most pilots a bit arrogant?

Comment

seems not so arrogent
        I think LastMag meant that Mitchell was NOT arrogant in his expectations. He didn't expect Sam to step aside for him, in fact he was surprised that he would be leading.

I hope we see a lot more character development for Mitchell. I'm liking the relationship between him and T'ealc very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Egraine
          I think LastMag meant that Mitchell was NOT arrogant in his expectations. He didn't expect Sam to step aside for him, in fact he was surprised that he would be leading.

I hope we see a lot more character development for Mitchell. I'm liking the relationship between him and T'ealc very much.
          Yes, that is what I meant. That Cameron didn't seem to have that kind of arrogence to me.

ShardsofGlass and Chillinthemost: thanks for the information. I guess I missed that exchange. I'll have to watch the episode again, what a chore that will be

("last mag." is my favorite Jack O'Neill quote from the episode 'Thor's Hammer')

Comment

I am liking all his relationships so far - I hope he has a good rapport with everyone
            gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
            so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
            love Torri

Comment

I, too, am enjoying the way Mitchell is interacting with the other members of the "old" SG1. I think, if it does turn out that he becomes the leader of SG1, he would make a good one. He is smart, knows when to defer to others, is not arrogant, has a great sense of humor, and is definitely brave. What more could you ask for? And, don't say O'Neill - that's not an option anymore .

Oh, and he's sexy as hell!! (Just a personal requirement ).
              Teal'c--what's with the hair?

Comment

Originally posted by Egraine

You are correct, Egraine. I read that wrong. Sorry, LastMag!

I also like the relationship between Teal'c and Mitchell. I like that they didn't jump right into Teal'c giving Mitchell his complete acceptance. I'd like to see their friendship grow due to mutual respect and really liking each other, not just because Mitchell was one of the pilots that helped save SG-1.

Comment

Originally posted by sgatelvr
                  I, too, am enjoying the way Mitchell is interacting with the other members of the "old" SG1. I think, if it does turn out that he becomes the leader of SG1, he would make a good one. He is smart, knows when to defer to others, is not arrogant, has a great sense of humor, and is definitely brave. What more could you ask for? And, don't say O'Neill - that's not an option anymore .

Oh, and he's sexy as hell!! (Just a personal requirement ).
                  Yep, to all that. Including the sexy part. Especially the sexy part.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                    You are correct, Egraine. I read that wrong. Sorry, LastMag!

I also like the relationship between Teal'c and Mitchell. I like that they didn't jump right into Teal'c giving Mitchell his complete acceptance. I'd like to see their friendship grow due to mutual respect and really liking each other, not just because Mitchell was one of the pilots that helped save SG-1.
                    No problemo

Teal'c and Cameron, yes that's character duo I want to see exploration in too. Teal'c holds a lot of loyalty and respect for O'Neill and that's gonna be a tough act for Cameron to follow along in. I just want Cam to be himself and I think Teal'c will come around to see him as a worthy warrior too.

I like Cameron's bit with Daniel too. He really thinks highly of our dear Dr. Jackson and that is pretty cool in my book. I think the admiration has Daniel a bit selfconscience though, not quite sure how to gracefully accept it. Cameron will win him over though, I've got my money on that

Comment

The development of the Mitchell/Teal'c interaction should prove to be pretty interesting. I'm looking forward to how it turns out.
                      Thornbird: I'm Major Robort Thornbird. And you are?
                      Jack: Captain James T. Kirk of the starship Enterprise.
                      Thornbird: Your dog tags say otherwise.
                      Jack: ... They're lying.

Comment

Same here. Loved that scene with the bouncing bullet in avalon. Think we could see a lot of Teal'c messing with our new guy a little. Will make for great entertainment.
                        sigpic
                        MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                        "...phu...ah..."
                        "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                        Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by LastMag
                          No problemo

I like Cameron's bit with Daniel too. He really thinks highly of our dear Dr. Jackson and that is pretty cool in my book. I think the admiration has Daniel a bit selfconscience though, not quite sure how to gracefully accept it. Cameron will win him over though, I've got my money on that
                          I like the Daniel/Cameron relationship. They're like guys who could have gone to the same college, and been in the same frat. Seems to me like they'd have similar cultural points of reference, being that they appear to be about the same age, yet they are quite different.

It seems to me that Cameron has run some sort of interference for Daniel with Landry, like he's hanging around to "explain" Daniel's POV to the General. Of course, the general already gets it but I almost feel like Cameron's looking out for Daniel, in a way. Daniel strikes me as the absent minded professor type whereas Mitchell is much more the "people" person and he's trying to keep things running and people getting along and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by esoap524
                            It seems to me that Cameron has run some sort of interference for Daniel with Landry, like he's hanging around to "explain" Daniel's POV to the General. Of course, the general already gets it but I almost feel like Cameron's looking out for Daniel, in a way. Daniel strikes me as the absent minded professor type whereas Mitchell is much more the "people" person and he's trying to keep things running and people getting along and the like.
                            I get that vibe too. I think Daniel is pretty high up on Cam's list, and he wants Landry to understand him and not get quite so frustrated with Daniel's ramblings. Cam already seems pretty fluent in Daniel-speak.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongo's Girl
                              I get that vibe too. I think Daniel is pretty high up on Cam's list, and he wants Landry to understand him and not get quite so frustrated with Daniel's ramblings. Cam already seems pretty fluent in Daniel-speak.
                              both of you are right on the bulls eye! Cameron has fit in better with both Teal'c and Daniel better then expected!! Even our beloved Jack had rough moments with both in the beginning. it seemed that it took Jack almost 5 seasons before he could completely understand everything Daniel was saying-- in Daniel's own unique yummy language!! LOL!!!! it was a riot watching Jack get confused somtimes by what was being said, But--- i like this Cameron understanding-looking out for Daniel---- and his trust and respect for Teal'c just as much. the show seems to be flowing more smoothly because of it. at least to me.
                              as for Cameron being sexy--- please Ben Browder is one of the nicest , sweetest and funny piece of eye candy to come down the path in awhile!!!!! loved him in Farscape--and love him here!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X