This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

blocking the gate

quick question to block the gate and stop an incoming wormhole most people bury the whole gate, and in one ep, carter moved the iris a few millimeters back to block in coming wormholes.

so my question is do you guys think u need to block the whole gate to stop a worm hole or could u get a way with just having something in the way or evey just put duct tape all around the inside?

i know it wouldn't work well from a story point of view but if u only need something in the way they could build like a gate jack and put it on the gate when they go exploring so one one can gate in/out unexspectingly.

I think it has to be completely buried - the kawoosh would easily rip through duct tape

Why would they need a gate jack when they have the iris

How exactly does the burying thing work?
    gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
    so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
    love Torri

Comment

I would say, based on the evidence, and my interpretation of the speech, that any solid matter, within the ring of the gate will stop the event horizon from forming, you wouldn't even need to put duct tape all around the outside, just a stick through the middle.

Owen Macri

Comment

the iris was moved closer to the event horizon to stop high powerd particals from reapearinmg on the other side of the iris not only will solid matter not reintergraet but not even energy particals
        "only two things are infinate the universe and human stupidity and im not sure about the universe"

-albert einstein

Comment

No, in "48 Hours" they moved the iris deeper into the gate to prevent the gate from activating at all. As well they did something similar with the beta gate, and its' permanent iris.

Owen Macri

Comment

yeah i was thinking to use off world, while exploring a planet they have a team wait at the gate all they would need to do to stop someone running away through the gate or something is throw a stick or make something that only the SG teams can take off the gate to stop people from using it.

i know jack has held the gate open just with his arm, in the one where the asgard where taking back all the stolen tech from the rouge NID. but we really havn't seen any evidance either way to say how much matter needs to be in the way to stop a connection. because air is always in the way and that is matter. so it has to be more then air

Comment

Well, yes, specifically, it would be only solid matter, because liquids and gasses would be pushed away. As well, this is disproven in the show, with the constanticity of having gates in the floor.

By the way, constanticity is a new word I have made up. It is the action of something happening constantly, if a man walks down the street every day, he walks with constantisity. Yay, I like making up words. lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

thats a good new word u got there, its much better then 'always' lol

your right about some of the gates being partly buried to help them stand up. either that means u need more matter in the gate then that little bit at the bottom or placement of the solid matter is important like there is a certin part in side the ring that emits the umm demeterializer/worm hole thing (my grasp of scientific words is amazing)

Comment

Owen once again you have with you new words shown us the way.

Now my own related question. The iris stops matter reintegrating ebcasue there isnt enough room, therefore in theory at least wouldn't you be able to achive the same thing using a piece of paper? yes paper is weaker but it would still stop matter integrating right?

Comment

By the way, constanticity is a new word I have made up. It is the action of something happening constantly, if a man walks down the street every day, he walks with constantisity
                    We have a words for that already; consistently, frequently, regularly, etc.

In "Memento" we see what "burying the gate" really means, the ring is hardly even filled with material there's just a large block of rock at it's centre which seems to be sufficient. I suppose that having a small amount of solid matter within the ring is adequate for blocking purposes, but within reason, of course, you don't frequently see connections being denied because there was a bug sitting on the inside of the gate. Ramps/pedestals etc. passing inside the ring don't stop wormholes, either.
                    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Originally posted by AsgardCarnage
                      thats a good new word u got there, its much better then 'always' lol

your right about some of the gates being partly buried to help them stand up. either that means u need more matter in the gate then that little bit at the bottom or placement of the solid matter is important like there is a certin part in side the ring that emits the umm demeterializer/worm hole thing (my grasp of scientific words is amazing)
                      Lol, I knew I was forgetting something... Oh well, constanticity would beat those words in a word competition any day. What is "always," or "frequently?" Come on, those words are just acheing to lose! lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Comment

Lol, oh calm down, we are just having a little fun. It makes people far more cheerful to include a note of fun in there discussion. Try it some time. I guarantee you, it will work. If I was a doctor, I would write you a perscription for some happy pills! lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

we arn't talking about blocking matter coming thought once a connection is made, i'm saying how much matter is needed to stop a worm hole from connecting in the first place. are we sure a bug can't stop it.

would the ancients allow any creature to be killed just because someone dialed a gate from another world?

Comment

i think the bug would stop it. but you can have the gate part buried because the kawoosh doesnt come outta the whole gate, does it? just the centre.

"Lose it. It means go crazy. Nuts. Insane. Bonzo. No longer in possession of one's faculties. Three fries short of a happy meal, WACKO!!!"

Comment

Working...
                              X