This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whatever happened to the secondaries?!

Hiya everyone, this is my first post, so I hope this question hasn't been asked already, but - is anyone else missing the old faces?

I know we're only a few eps in to season two, but I'd love to know what happened to characters like Stackhouse and Bates - the regulars we all knew in season one, and who are yet to put in an appearance.

The last we heard, Stack was out checking alpha sites and Bates was in a medically-induced coma, recovering from the beating he took from Bob.

Call me crazy, but it's the lesser characters like these guys which make the show, because it stops it from being all about the Pretty (Shep/Teyla), the Snarky (McKay, of course) and the Funny (Ford/Carson). They're just the characters in the background who make Atlantis a community and... I really miss them!

None of the secondaries in season two have appealed to me at all - especially not that irritating new Major they brought along from Earth - they'll never feel quite the same as those who have been there from the beginning, I guess, but we haven't heard anything of what happened to Stack and Bates. Was Bates sent home? Did Stack get Wraithed? What about Kavanagh (unless I missed something, he's not been around, either)?

Tell me it's not just me who is bothered by this. I actually feel a bit sad asking! Hehe.

Rosie.

Official Member of the Fellowship of Rainbow Defenders
    ...and the Lord said, 'Let there be F.O.R.D.' and there was, and it was good...

Originally posted by alfirin_kirinki
    Hiya everyone, this is my first post, so I hope this question hasn't been asked already, but - is anyone else missing the old faces?

I know we're only a few eps in to season two, but I'd love to know what happened to characters like Stackhouse and Bates - the regulars we all knew in season one, and who are yet to put in an appearance.

The last we heard, Stack was out checking alpha sites and Bates was in a medically-induced coma, recovering from the beating he took from Bob.

Call me crazy, but it's the lesser characters like these guys which make the show, because it stops it from being all about the Pretty (Shep/Teyla), the Snarky (McKay, of course) and the Funny (Ford/Carson). They're just the characters in the background who make Atlantis a community and... I really miss them!

None of the secondaries in season two have appealed to me at all - especially not that irritating new Major they brought along from Earth - they'll never feel quite the same as those who have been there from the beginning, I guess, but we haven't heard anything of what happened to Stack and Bates. Was Bates sent home? Did Stack get Wraithed? What about Kavanagh (unless I missed something, he's not been around, either)?

Tell me it's not just me who is bothered by this. I actually feel a bit sad asking! Hehe.

Rosie.
    Last Seasons secondaries:
    Zelenka (more to do this season Yay)
    Dr. Heightmeyer (in alteast 2 episodes this year)
    Bates (coma sent back to earth, might return eventually)
    Grodin (dead in "Siege Pt. 1")
    Stackhouse (vanished apparently most likely dead in the Siege)
    Markham (Blown up - "Brotherhood")
    Simpson (Blond scientist from 38 minutes - missing although she only ever had a few lines)
    Kavanagh (returning later this season)
    Miko (really hope to see again)
    Halling + Jinto (haven't appeared yet)
    Teyla's old lady friend from "Gift" (getting a mention if not an appearance this season)

This seasons secondaries
    Lorne( Marine from "Runner" first appeared in SG-1 S7 "Enemy Mine")
    Laura Cadman ("Duet" will return later)
    Hermoid (sarcastic Asgard)
    Novak (sarcastic Asgard's sidekick from "Siege Pt.3")
    Caldwell (captain of the Daedalus)

Of course were only 4 episodes in so plently of time for new secondary characters and for old ones to return, which I would love *hint*Miko*hint*

I do hope that TPTB keep up the Community aspect of the show, it makes it different from SG-1 which is all about the team. Atlantis is about the city and the people there, the recurring small characters really do bring the place to life
    Last edited by Steve_the_Wraith; 10 August 2005, 10:20 AM.
    sigpic

Comment

Bates has been shipped back to Earth
      gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
      so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
      love Torri

Comment

How do we know that? Was it mentioned?

Comment

I think one of the writers said it but it is true
          gumboYaYa: you are all beautiful, your words and openness are what make that shine. don't forget how much talent love and beauty you all have.
          so for now, peace love love love more love and happy, and thank you, thank you, thank you
          love Torri

Comment

How do we know that? Was it mentioned?
            From the Ask Martin Gero thread

Martin Gero a writer on the show (wrote Storm/Eye, Brotherhood, Siege Pt.1, and Duet) had a thread on these boards awhile back where he answered fans questions, unfortunately he had to stop because he was too busy writing killer storylines
            sigpic

Comment

Ah, pity.

I'm terribly for liking the dispensible characters, unfortunately. I still get all angst-ridden over Markham, and he was only in two episodes!

Tragic.

Comment

Ah, pity.

I'm terribly for liking the dispensible characters, unfortunately. I still get all angst-ridden over Markham, and he was only in two episodes!

Tragic.
                Markham was great. I loved how Weir mentioned him in "Letters From Pegasus" a great episodes
                sigpic

Comment

RIP Markham
                  love Torri

Comment

Originally posted by Steve_the_Wraith
                    Markham was great. I loved how Weir mentioned him in "Letters From Pegasus" a great episodes
                    Yeah, that always makes me cry.

I loved that Markham was obviously not a pilot, and just seemed half-terrified in the jumpers. Whether that was deliberate or just more evidence of Joseph May only ever acting with his eyelashes, I'm not sure, but his permanently wide-eyed 'OMG, SO GONNA DIE NOW' face was terribly endearing.

And it was actually Stackhouse's uncharacteristically out-spoken, 'He's just trying to get us home in one piece' line that really sold me on his character, as well. That and the moment in Suspicion in which he obviously bites his tongue instead of arguing with McKay...

You see? It's the secondary characters that make these shows.

They really need to bring back Stack.

I always thought he'd make a good replacement for Bates, because he's near enough the same rank (assuming Bates was a senior rank of sergeant) and he's been on Atlantis from the start. He's also very sensible and a Good Soldier.

Dammit... I totally ought to start a petition! lol.

Comment

I am sure Stackhouse will turn up sooner or later
                      love Torri

Comment

He'd better!

Comment

I just LOVED Grodin How could they kill him so quickly?? He should have died in a 5th season (or never)
                          !!!THE SUPREME PICTURE HUNTER FOR LABCOAT LOVE ASSOCIATION!!!

All the images in my signatures usually come from HERE
                          How do you like my new signature?

Comment

Yeah killing Grodin really pissed me off
                            love Torri

Comment

It did me, too, actually. I always tend to think of him as Weir's Gay Best Friend, which I'm sure he's not, but that's just how it always came across for me.

It was so sad when he died.

Poor Petey.

Comment

Working...
                              X