Review of "Avalon, Part Two"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of "Avalon, Part Two"

In regard to Lex's review of "Avalon, Part Two," and in particular this paragraph:

http://www.gateworld.net/sg1/s9/reviews/902.shtml

"There's barely anything to complain about here, and really only one thing bothers me. The comment from Vala about not hearing squishing sounds or screaming when Daniel thought Teal'c and Mitchell had been crushed is incredibly insensitive considering how Daniel's parents died. Of course she didn't know, but the writers did. Maybe they just forgot. Daniel looks horrified by the whole situation."

I realize that Lex, as a fan of Daniel Jackson/Michael Shanks, views the SG1 episodes as though the series was REALLY titled The Daniel Jackson Show, Starring Michael Shanks as Daniel Jackson (and some other actors, as other characters on the show, who are only there to let us know who wonderful Jackson is)...

But it REALLY is Stargate SG-1, and the writers realize that as well. Bad stuff happens to good people. It's how they respond to the bad stuff that forms their character, forges their psyche, and enables them to handle the NEXT round of bad stuff, because there's always tomorrow.

I've never understood how a character with such a healthy self-esteem as Daniel Jackson -- a character who ignored the ridicule of his peers, and continued his theories of the Giza pyramids -- a character with such a strong sense of conviction -- insisting to Gen. Hammond that he be allowed to join SG1 because he HAD to --

would attract so many fans who insist on over protecting him.

Of course Daniel looks horrifed by the whole situation -- one of his best friends, Teal'c, is in jeopardy. And he has to put up with Vala's dithering...

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter

I just read the review, and it kind of mystified me, too, as I didn't see many of things Lex did, particularly Mitchell developing into a fine leader. I don't see him developing into anything. He's a set piece. Then again, I didn't realize that Lex thinks the show should revolve around Daniel. Now the review makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by scifiannie
      I didn't realize that Lex thinks the show should revolve around Daniel.
      I didn't realise it either, and Lex is one of my close friends.

Seriously, not everything that you read on the internet is true

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
      X