PDA

View Full Version : Season 8 opener TV Guide mini-review--SPOILERS

DarkQuee1
June 26th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Came home and found the new TV Guide had arrived. It's for the week after next, July 4 to July 10, and it has one of those mini-review blurbs for the season opener. It's by TV Guide's main critic, Matt Roush. I could be wrong, but I think that he was a big Farscape fan, but had never really watched Stargate. He wrote:
"Thanks, Sci Fi, for sending a "Stargate for Dummies" manual to help prep me for the two-hour premiere of the popular fantasy-adventure's eighth season. Even without the cheat sheet, I could tell the show was hurting without Richard Dean Anderson as Colonel Jack O'Neill, who sits out the first hour in a frozen coma. When he revives, using knowledge from the Ancients to help the kindly Asgard aliens fight off the Replicators (see what a quck study I am?), his dry wit gives a hyperdrive boost to the earnest, plodding interplanetary intrigues."

TV Guide reviews are usually 0-10 (when they bother to rate them). The opener got a 6.

Well, heck, at least he liked Jack!

J.

Elwe Singollo
June 26th, 2004, 07:36 PM
I still think the premiere will be great, even with this mediocore review ...

keshou
June 26th, 2004, 08:47 PM
Yeah, Matt Roush has always been a big fan of Farscape. I've always had the impression he sees Stargate as a fairly mediocre scifi show.

Elwe Singollo
June 26th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Yah, i've gotten a feeling that he wasn't a big ole 'Stargate' fan. But oh well :)

Idun
June 26th, 2004, 09:19 PM
Well his title is critic and that's all he was doing, being critical.

I never put much faith in someone else's opinion, becuase everyone is different and everyone views things differently.

Elwe Singollo
June 26th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Yah, look at Ebert and Roeper, they are horrible critics, haha, but thats my opinion, to them, they probably they think they are the best at it, but yah, there is my opinion too ;)

Idun
June 26th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Well I guess to be good, you have to say everything is bad :S

Nah critics have favorites just like everyone else, so when they see something that appeals to them they will rate it high, no matter what everyone else likes.

It's just their opinion, and you know what they say about opinions :p

AbydosTraveller
June 26th, 2004, 11:27 PM
I never listen to opinions... heck, it's two hours of a new Stargate; this guy doesn't understand the thrill. Just having Jack unfrozen is good enough to make me want to watch it.

I'm not bashing on Farscape or anything, but even a great show like that doesn't quite make the cut at my "Stargate-level"... but then, who's going to listen to my opinions when I never listen to anyone elses? :rolleyes:

Elwe Singollo
June 26th, 2004, 11:30 PM
But since that Tv guide critic loved my Buffyverse, he does have a little spot on my nice side :) Haha...

AbydosTraveller
June 26th, 2004, 11:33 PM
I stay away from anything that even remotely mentions "Buffy"... strange personal views :rolleyes: ... even if that's not what was being talked about.

Elwe Singollo
June 26th, 2004, 11:36 PM
So you don't like anything buffy related? I wasn't clear on what you said ;)

the dancer of spaz
June 28th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Dude... sarcasm is SUPPOSED to be there in critiques of shows and all, but this guy sounded REALLY bitter. I don't know what about, but it was kinda weird.

Torley
June 29th, 2004, 02:32 AM
Lot of bitter critics out there with motives that are clearly NOT helpful to the reader. They just want to vent -- but hey, you got blogs for that :) But like Donald Trump has famously said, critics often write to impress each other. And let's not forget Ebert couldn't exactly make it as a screenwriter, but he's a good critic. Look up people's backgrounds on the Net and you'll get a better idea where they're coming from. Whatever that means. ;) I know the world is messed up because of the number of "serious" literary critics that take pot shots at the genius work of Stephen King, who is truly a writer who a LOT of people can relate to. Just goes to show that criticism more often than not reeks of snobbish elitism, ewww!

Stargate SG-1 is one of those rare shows that combines the highbrow with lowbrow.

Torley
June 29th, 2004, 02:43 AM
BTW, I can't help but think of a quote like the following by Matt Rousch:

"The ratings [of Farscape] never seemed to be that dire an issue, though, until Sci Fi acquired the long-running Stargate SG-1, which apparently outdrew Farscape by a sizable margin. (Don't ask me why; I gave up watching that show years ago when it was on Showtime. But don't attack me. I have a pretty full viewing plate.)"

Bitter? I dunno, but I bet he'll be tuning in to watch Claudia Black ;)

Elwe Singollo
June 30th, 2004, 11:42 PM
Hes really bitter AND factual :)

Moonshayde
July 2nd, 2004, 01:29 PM
Eh, go figure. Everyone has their own opinion. I will just wait to see it myself :)

catscan
July 4th, 2004, 11:30 PM
People seem to like being critical of SG-1, but it's my personal experince that if I get someone to actually sit down and watch a good episode of SG-1? They're hooked. It's hard to do that with most other Sci-Fi.

I think a lot of "hard core" Sci-Fi fans hate the fact that SG-1 has fun with it's self.

Ugly Pig
July 5th, 2004, 05:15 AM
People seem to like being critical of SG-1, but it's my personal experince that if I get someone to actually sit down and watch a good episode of SG-1? They're hooked. It's hard to do that with most other Sci-Fi.
People I've talked to tend to think SG-1 is some crappy nerd show without even having seen it. What's so frustrating is that in a lot of cases they're people who would probably love it if they ever gave it a try. :(

July 5th, 2004, 08:32 AM
this just spoiled me so good!!! i'm positive i'm gonna love the opener!!!! :P I'm already loving it. Everything is going just like i wanted it to go!!! :D

Anubis
July 5th, 2004, 09:44 AM
The pre-advance clips and avdertising has been a bit much as far as I've heard, and I doub Sky will do this much

Jeff O'Connor
July 6th, 2004, 03:24 PM
I still say it's going to rule. It looks like it's going to rule, and hey. It's two hours of Stargate SG-1. I'd watch a two-hour version of "Grace" if it were more SG-1. No, actually, I... well... I don't know.

Benj
July 7th, 2004, 04:40 PM
Just in WHSMITH and flicking through the various cult magazines and i saw am amazing photo from i think the premier of a supersoldier stepping through the gate and attacking the sgc as teal'c stares in disbelief and an airman is sent flying. only small thing i know but it looked brilliant, like a scene out of Terminator 3 if it had been done well. i have high hopes for this season.

Ugly Pig
July 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM
SPOILER! regarding the scene described in the previous post

I believe that scene is from Avatar, the fifth episode of the season.

They call me Tim
July 8th, 2004, 09:18 AM
I never listen to critics...for one, I got a kick out of this one last year when the season opener occurred...the article told about how SG-1 would never last because they have no writing talent and just copy things from Lucas' Star Wars...now of course this was the episode where Carter and O'neill flew into the inside of Anubis' ship and destroyed the power core much like in RotJ...even citing O'neill's comment, "I thought we were going with Red Leader on this one..." as proof that SG-1 sucks......now, I laughed at this because it was obvious from the start that this person had never seen the show before or they would know that SG pokes fun at all Sci-fi...it was great

GhostPoet
July 8th, 2004, 11:16 AM
Critics get paid to find the negative in everything.
Unless they have a biased opinion on something.

Anubis
July 8th, 2004, 11:18 AM
That's the entire idea of them. They just dis everything that people do

Vyse
July 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM
The thing I love about stargate is that they make fun of the same old Sci-Fi cliches while following them. They don't try to hide the cliches, they love to laugh at them. Like how Shrek makes fun of the typical fairy tale formula. Stargate is also great at continuity, unlike other scifi shows **cough enterprise cough**. Stargate is a terrific show, besides I never agreed with the reviewers at TV Guide anyway.

AgentX
July 8th, 2004, 02:03 PM
I don't put too much stock into reviews especially regarding Science Fiction, where most shows are an acquired taste.

I find that I disagree with most of what TV Guide says, so I tend not to look at it much.

Selmak
July 8th, 2004, 08:23 PM
TV Guide has Matt Roush... and Matt Roush doesn't like stargate... so I don't like TV Guide.

Torley
July 8th, 2004, 09:31 PM
Hahaha... interesting sense of logic.