This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 8 opener TV Guide mini-review--SPOILERS

Came home and found the new TV Guide had arrived. It's for the week after next, July 4 to July 10, and it has one of those mini-review blurbs for the season opener. It's by TV Guide's main critic, Matt Roush. I could be wrong, but I think that he was a big Farscape fan, but had never really watched Stargate. He wrote:
    "Thanks, Sci Fi, for sending a "Stargate for Dummies" manual to help prep me for the two-hour premiere of the popular fantasy-adventure's eighth season. Even without the cheat sheet, I could tell the show was hurting without Richard Dean Anderson as Colonel Jack O'Neill, who sits out the first hour in a frozen coma. When he revives, using knowledge from the Ancients to help the kindly Asgard aliens fight off the Replicators (see what a quck study I am?), his dry wit gives a hyperdrive boost to the earnest, plodding interplanetary intrigues."

TV Guide reviews are usually 0-10 (when they bother to rate them). The opener got a 6.

Well, heck, at least he liked Jack!

J.
    "He's an amazing man. After everything he's done, he's still modest. Quite self-effacing actually. He even likes people to think he's not as smart as he is. Bottom line, he's an incredibly strong leader who's given more to this program than any man has given to anything I can imagine."

I still think the premiere will be great, even with this mediocore review ...
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Yeah, Matt Roush has always been a big fan of Farscape. I've always had the impression he sees Stargate as a fairly mediocre scifi show.
      Life is hard...and it's harder if you're stupid

Comment

Yah, i've gotten a feeling that he wasn't a big ole 'Stargate' fan. But oh well

Comment

Well his title is critic and that's all he was doing, being critical.

I never put much faith in someone else's opinion, becuase everyone is different and everyone views things differently.

Chevron Nine - A Stargate Atlantis Fan Site

Check out Chevron Nine's exclusive new interview with Stargate Atlantis director David Winning

Comment

Yah, look at Ebert and Roeper, they are horrible critics, haha, but thats my opinion, to them, they probably they think they are the best at it, but yah, there is my opinion too

Comment

Well I guess to be good, you have to say everything is bad

Nah critics have favorites just like everyone else, so when they see something that appeals to them they will rate it high, no matter what everyone else likes.

It's just their opinion, and you know what they say about opinions

Chevron Nine - A Stargate Atlantis Fan Site

Check out Chevron Nine's exclusive new interview with Stargate Atlantis director David Winning

Comment

I never listen to opinions... heck, it's two hours of a new Stargate; this guy doesn't understand the thrill. Just having Jack unfrozen is good enough to make me want to watch it.

I'm not bashing on Farscape or anything, but even a great show like that doesn't quite make the cut at my "Stargate-level"... but then, who's going to listen to my opinions when I never listen to anyone elses?

Comment

But since that Tv guide critic loved my Buffyverse, he does have a little spot on my nice side Haha...

Comment

I stay away from anything that even remotely mentions "Buffy"... strange personal views ... even if that's not what was being talked about.

Comment

So you don't like anything buffy related? I wasn't clear on what you said

Comment

Dude... sarcasm is SUPPOSED to be there in critiques of shows and all, but this guy sounded REALLY bitter. I don't know what about, but it was kinda weird.

Comment

Lot of bitter critics out there with motives that are clearly NOT helpful to the reader. They just want to vent -- but hey, you got blogs for that But like Donald Trump has famously said, critics often write to impress each other. And let's not forget Ebert couldn't exactly make it as a screenwriter, but he's a good critic. Look up people's backgrounds on the Net and you'll get a better idea where they're coming from. Whatever that means. I know the world is messed up because of the number of "serious" literary critics that take pot shots at the genius work of Stephen King, who is truly a writer who a LOT of people can relate to. Just goes to show that criticism more often than not reeks of snobbish elitism, ewww!

Stargate SG-1 is one of those rare shows that combines the highbrow with lowbrow.
                          Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                          more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

BTW, I can't help but think of a quote like the following by Matt Rousch:

"The ratings [of Farscape] never seemed to be that dire an issue, though, until Sci Fi acquired the long-running Stargate SG-1, which apparently outdrew Farscape by a sizable margin. (Don't ask me why; I gave up watching that show years ago when it was on Showtime. But don't attack me. I have a pretty full viewing plate.)"

Bitter? I dunno, but I bet he'll be tuning in to watch Claudia Black
                            Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                            more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Hes really bitter AND factual

Comment

Working...
                              X