X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Technologies Function

Originally posted by jaden10
    For one I have no problem explaining in detail what a hyperdrive is and the theory behind it.
    Please do.

and anyone who read my paper on Transporter Technology (I did have help writing that btw), know that I can put this down rather simply
    May we have a link?
    Last edited by Lord §okar; 08 August 2005, 04:54 PM.
    Lord §okar, Niles, Mark VI, etc: Dom Howard fan

Tama, Bosphorus, Istanbul Mehmet, Sabian, Zildjian and Remo

Bump.

Comment

There is no link he e-mailed it to those of us who asked. If you would like a copy you are to Private Messge him.

Owen Macri

Comment

Ok, but I'd still relish to opportunity to hear him describe exactly how the hyperdrive works.

Comment

I don't know about hyperdrives in Stargate but if its anything like Warp Drive in Star Trek, you have to "submerge"; the ship into a lower domain of space called subspace to avoid the relativistic time and energy effects on traveling at the speed of light. In theory in subspace the speed of light isn't the universal speed limit that it is here in our normal space.

The other theory is of hyperspace, which relates to the topology of the universe. In theory if universe had a "lower level"; which on every point of it relates to a point in our universe but has a shorter linear length (think hyperbola) when measured from our perspective, and if you could somehow enter hyperspace and travel in hyperspace then you would travel a greater distance in a shorter amount of time in comparision to traveling the same linear distance in normal space. Thats also assuming that at least a relativistic view of time is the same in both planes and bla bla bla...

I don't know if I got it all right, please correct me if I'm wrong.
          Condemnant quod non intellegunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord §okar
            Ok, but I'd still relish to opportunity to hear him describe exactly how the hyperdrive works.
            Indeed it would be an interesting post. I would enjoy reading as well.

Owen Macri

Comment

The collective reasoning of the majority of the Science and Tech forum think that hyper space works slightly diffrently. However, no one is right or wrong.

The Warp Drive however, is a little diffrent. Also known as the Alcubierre drive, the warp drive creates a bubble around the ship compacting the space in front and explanding the space behind, so it is not the ship moving faster than light it is space.

This is a picture of a warp bubble. or Alcubierre bubble, and here is a link to a Wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

Owen Macri
              Last edited by _Owen_; 11 August 2005, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Nettiquete demands that you do not link directly to remote images and instead provide a link to the article that contains them.

Given that hyperspace is name given to extraspatial dimensions it only seems reasonable that the hyperdrive allows one to step over the idiosyncrasies and distortions in local three dimensional topography by moving the ship through one or more of the seven extra spatial dimensions associated with standard space time.

Comment

Very well, the link didn't even work because I added a "=" in the tag by mistake. And either way, I included a link to the article that contained the picture anyways.

As for this "Nettiquette," a link would be appreciated...

Owen Macri

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Netiquette

Yes I can see they paid particular attention to flaming.

Comment

Thank you, but I don't see anything about posting images?

Owen Macri

Comment

So I see, there's an RTC article that has the whole netiquette... statute, I guess, all written down, here's an article regarding diret linking: http://www.wagsouth.com/netiq.html

Comment

I think that is a really big stretch. People put pictures and stuff on there websites so you and other people can look at them. Whether it is on there site or linked to their site, they offered the pictures, so you are completley entilted to show them to people. As for stealing bandwidth. Come on. Seriously who wrote this? People start website, most of the time, fully aware that they only have so much bandwidth, yet they still create their websites. What they are saying is insane. So, if you go onto someones site you are also using their bandwidth, and you are using it, so you are stealing as well. Whoever starts a website, offers its' contents and its' bandwidth to the general public, unless stated otherwise. Except for the bandwidth when you start a website you have to expect people to use your bandwidth where it is by directly viewing your site, or linking to it. It is not stealing what so ever.

That article has to be the absolute stupidest thing I have ever read in my life. I cannot believe someone would actualy believe it. I really can't I am not trying to be insulting, I really cannot believe someone would say something like that.

Owen Macri

Comment

Evodently you've never run a website and, therefore, can't know the frustration of seeing your months' bandwidth eaten up because some thoughtless... person has linked your picture to a page that is hit quite frequently. Some people with banners get money for every hit on their page, every time you hotlink that's their income going away, as well as their bandwidth. Even if the webmaster got none of those chagrins it's still bad manners.

People put pictures and stuff on there websites so you and other people can look at them.
                            They're not here for your website, they're there for theirs. So go to their site to look at them.

So, if you go onto someones site you are also using their bandwidth, and you are using it, so you are stealing as well.
                            Wrong. People intend you to visit their sites to read their content, they're not Photobucket.

Except for the bandwidth when you start a website you have to expect people to use your bandwidth where it is by directly viewing your site, or linking to it.
                            Linking to it is acceptable and encouraged, hotlinking images is condemned.
                            Last edited by Lord §okar; 10 August 2005, 01:12 AM.

Comment

If I had a website promoting pictures, I would very well expect people to hotlink to them, and I would not complain. Sure, you might loose bnadwidth a little faster, but who cares. Next month you will start all over again.

Posting a picture on the internet, is like putting a picture out on the street and leaving it. Anyone is free to take it because the street is public property, and you have left it there purposley. However, putting a picture into a safe, putting the safe on the sidewalk and chaining it to your front porch, with a camera inside showing the picture inside the safe on a screen on the outside, then you would obviously not want someone to take it, but only to view it. And there are ways to prevent hotlinking, and even to prevent copying images.

Owen Macri

Comment

Working...
                              X