Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daily Life on Atlantis (a.k.a. the Atlantis Barber thread)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daily Life on Atlantis (a.k.a. the Atlantis Barber thread)

These are just a couple of questions that have been bugging me for a while, mainly because that in the timespan of more than a year of watching atlantis, we never get to see on how daily life really works on Atlantis in greater detail.

Whereas the SGC on earth is basically a normal military base on earth, which will have no problem sustaining itself with supplies and basic life necessities, the Atlantis is an outpost of non-human design (Ancient, if you will), and may have a very different take on supporting human life on the other side of the galaxy.

Now, within the show, Atlantis has been shown to provide breathable atmosphere for human life and sufficient power generation from the portable naquadah generators as well as any non-ZPM power generation on the city (be it solar, ocean currents, wind, nuclear, anything the ancients came up with to power the place without using ZPMs). However, the show never touches on important aspects such as fresh water supply and food, at least not explicitly. We can assume several cases for food and water supply, since it is very unlikely that the initial supply carried through the gate on the first expedition would sustain enough water for the entire crew for indefinite amount of time, on the assumption that a person needs 1 gallon of water a day, which equals to 36500 gallons of water for one year supply for an expedition team of 100 people, not including Teyla's people. Here are my theories on how they sustain daily life on Atlantis in terms of food and water supply:

a) The ancients need a constant fresh water supply and somewhere in the city there is a fresh water plant that recycles and produces fresh water off the ocean (very doable even with current human technology, I'm certain the ancient design would be very elegant).

b) They shipped tons of water and MRE through the gate during the first expedition, and Daedalus ships fresh water supply on its subsequent visits. This is very realistic, although I am sure Col. Sheperd would be tired of eating MREs all the time. But on the very latest episode there is a scene which involves dining and salads were present, indicating that the Atlantis may have fresh supplies of vegetables from somewhere (Earth or otherwise). I would love to see how the kitchens are set up in Atlantis, be it human portable kitchen/mess hall or a very neatly designed Ancient stove.

c) The atlantis team trade supplies from offworld traders and other civilizations for water and food, which have been done several times during the episode. In fact, they may simply just trade with the Athosians who are agrarian in nature, who are living on the mainland of the planet where Atlantis is located. Assuming similar conditions to earth, it is very likely they have a good supply of fresh water for agriculture and daily life needs.

Now that food and water have been taken care of, I would like to move to another subject: personal hygiene. It is mentioned couple of times by various characters that they are going for a quick shower and what not, but they never show the designs of shower and toilet for personal needs. Are they using earth modified restrooms, or the Ancients have already provided personal "refresher" rooms on their living quarters - very plausible in reality. And a bathroom designed by the Ancients would be a very interesting subject to discuss in a random episode, for example of holographic mirrors, health detectors, and I highly doubt they still use toilet papers in a civilization as advanced as theirs.

Final subject on my thread - barber shop. On SGC, since it is located on earth, finding a good barber on a missile silo is not unheard of, and the personnels can always drive home to get some haircut. But on an outpost like Atlantis, I don't think they can gate home at a whim to get a crew cut. Considering how the Atlantis expedition team have their hairs properly maintained, we can safely assume that one of the personnels of the expedition team has hair styling skills that is being utilized by the the rest of the expedition members. It would probably make an interesting episode and character, too. The Atlantis barber, rooms across from Dr. Beckett.

I hope you guys enjoy my theories on living on Atlantis. I'll think of some other ideas that are being taken for granted by most people.

You are right, there are some things they have not fit into the show yet, to me, it seemed like they had really tried to cram a lot of stuff into the first season to try to explain everything, and just didn't have time for the little stuff. But you are deffinetly right, they really should have showed some of the stuff. Atlantis would have needed the same devices that we need to maintain ourselves, physically from the outside and most of the inside, the Ancients are the same as us, just their brain chemistry has evolved more.

Owen Macri

Comment

I agree. And I realize that while there are far more important stories to tell about the wraiths and different crisis and story arcs, I think it does not hurt to include snippets of how daily human needs in Atlantis are being handled.

Another thing worth mentioning is sewage system and garbage disposal. The former I assume just releases waste to the ocean, while garbage disposal in a city such Atlantis might be quite trivial (incenerator, recycling, etc). However, do the expedition team figure out how to use them (assuming they exist), or they just fire off garbage bags offworld via the gate? (you can send more things beyond bombs and MALPs over the gate, ya know).

Comment

I agree, a scene here and there would not have hurt.

Owen Macri

Comment

I think regards sustainability, one of the criteria for the task force sent to Atlantis was probably that you had to have more than one skill/function, to get the most use out of the smallest team. I imagine they also took quite a bit of farming equipment and people trained to use it... if they didn't simply take the Marines and put them through a crash course in farming/building etc. In fact, they probably had everyone go through an intensive survival skills course. Even the military personnell who might have been through something similar already. They could also have trained people how to do things like fly too, since you can become a pilot in under two weeks if you want to.

Now with added lesbians.

Comment

It seemed as though most of the crew were scientists. This seems partly logical, seeing as it is bassically a giant mound of new technology which they are exploring.

Owen Macri

Comment

Somehow I don't think they would be into farming that much, considering the bulk of the expedition team are scientists and soldiers, with a bit of medical personnels attached along with them.

I would think the Athosians provide the agrarian support of Atlantis, as mentioned explicitly by Teyla and Dr. Weir in one of the episodes when the Athosians moved to the mainland and began their agricultural work (they are agricultural civilization, after all).

I would bet that Atlantis accomplishes its need on food and water mainly through trading and supplies harvested from the mainland produced by the Athosians, and if that is the case I would love to see some marines on puddle jumpers doing milk runs picking up food from the mainland and back, since it seems to be the main mode of transportation on Atlantis.

This may sound off topic, but did anyone figure out why the SGC does not provide the Atlantis team with zat guns? They work tremendously well against most opposing forces, although the wraith guns seem to do the same trick as well.

Comment

Yes, I agree, taking farming equipment was probably illogical, they didn't even know if there was land, and they had limited time, because they didn't know how long they could keep the wormhole open, even though it could have been calculated. So they would probably only take was was absolutley necesary.

Owen Macri

Comment

they said in the pilot episode that the city has a desalinization plant in it so that answers that for the water. as for food weir has mentioned in intruder that the athosians (yea i spelt that wrong) make alot of food and im assuming its from there crops on the mainland.

Comment

Yes, I thought I recalled them saying something about desalinization, but I didn't want to say anything because I wan't sure.

Owen Macri

Comment

sorry i need to correct myself (i just checked to make sure my statement was right). it wasnt in the pilot it was in the next epsiode "hide and seek". they said that the city started to desalinize water and store it in tanks big enough to supply the whole city.

Comment

I don't know, I personally thought that the first episode of Atlantis was a bit unrealistic due to the fact that the only supplies the expedition brought with them was a server and anything that they can carry.

If i were in charge of the expedition I would bring the entire SGC armoury with me . Refeer to The Eye, during that quick glimpse into the armoury, you will see a box with a dozen rounds of P90 mags, a box of C4 and come rockets. That armoury IMO, is even smaller than the one on Prometheus. BTW does anybody wonder how they store their P90 mags while their vests even though it was specifically designed to hold M16 type mags?

In addition I would bring with me crates of computers and equpiment. Since it would be clear that once the wormhole shuts down, the will be no help. Which means that Atlantis must be self sustating for at least a year, IMO. Meaning that I would bring mountains of medical supplies, Xrays, CAT scanners, etc along with MREs and water.

Also I'd take at least a dozen generators with me.
                        ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Well they have at least 8 naquada generators:
                          5 powerin the city
                          1 ditched through gate in Hide and Seek
                          1 sucked by the energy being in Hide and Seek
                          1 Blown up in Hot Zone

Plus the ones they connected to the gate in Letters from Pegasus, as well as various others taht I forgot.

Comment

Oh, well either way, I knew they said it! lol.

Owen Macri

Comment

Did anybody catch that small message on the Canadarm picture in McKay's quarters in Duet? What does it say?
                              ...but courage, and a steadfast resolve will prove the most valuable assets in this undertaking...well, good luck to you all. *Beams out*

CONNECTION: TERMINATED

Comment

Working...
                              X