This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fun with English

Between the complaints about the abuse of language here and a discussion we had at work concerning the novel Ella Minnow Pea, I figured I'd start up a fun, pointless thread for people to post their favorite "English geek" jokes, book recommendations, mistakes and whatever else strikes folks' fancy.

First off, if you do like language and haven't read Ella Minnow Pea , what are you doing?? Go buy, borrow or steal a copy right now! It's loads of fun and by the end of the novel (as various letters are struck from the English language) the lengths people have to go to in order to complete sentences is pretty hysterical.

The book calls itself a novel in liopgram and a lipogram is a body of work that purposefully excludes a particular letter (or letters) of the alphabet. Here's a reall cool, creative example that my boss found on spinelessbooks.com (and yes I do realize the irony of it containing grammatical oversights):

Mary Had a Lipogram
    by A. Ross Eckler

mary had a little lamb,
    its fleece was white as snow
    and everywhere that mary went
    the lamb was sure to go;
    he followed her to school one day
    that was against the rule
    it made the children laugh and play
    to see a lamb in school

mary had a little lamb
    with fleece a pale white hue
    and everywhere that mary went
    the lamb kept her in view
    to academe he went with her
    illegal and quite rare
    it made the children laugh and play
    to view a lamb in there

polly owned one little sheep
    its fleece shone white like snow
    every region where polly went
    the sheep did surely go
    he followed her to school one time
    which broke the rigid rule
    the children frolicked in their room
    to see the sheep in school

mary owned a little lamb
    its fleece was pale as snow
    and every place its mistress went
    it certainly would go
    it followed mary to class one day
    it broke a rigid law
    it made some students giggle aloud
    a lamb in class all saw

mary had a pygmy lamb
    his fleece was pale as snow
    and every place where mary walked
    her lamb did also go
    he came inside her classroom once
    which broke a rigid rule
    how children all did laugh and play
    on seeing a lamb in school

mary had a tiny lamb
    its wool was pallid as snow
    and any spot that mary did walk
    this lamb would always go
    this lamb did follow mary to school
    although against a law
    how girls and boys did laugh and play
    that lamb in class all saw

The first one is "straight", but the others are all done excluding a particular letter.

There's also something called a liponym, which is the same idea, only excluding an entire word. Imaging Carter giving a lecture on Stargate physics and not being able to use the word wormhole. Of course, knowing Carter she'd come up with some highly technical alternate term for it, but it'd still be fun.

Difficult! But looks like a great deal of fun. I need more Fforde books!
    sigpic

Comment

Like Gladys ? That had no e's in it, an especially hard one since they're the most common.
      [email protected]
      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
      One nation under dog
      There of which I stand alone
      A face in the crowd
      Unsung, against the mold
      Without a doubt
      Singled out
      The only way I know

Comment

Funny you should mention that (unless you checked the site). There is actually a novel out there somewhere which is written to exclude the letter e entirely. It was origionally written in French and then translated into English and neither edition contains the offending letter.

[edit: or do you mean to say there's another book out there with no e's? I know there's something called Gadsby...]

The book is called La Disparition or A Void and it's by George Perec. It actually sounds like an interesting premise. It's about the disappearance of a man, but it takes place in a world from which the letter e has disappeared, although none of the characters in the novel seem to notice. I may actually have to look it up some day...

Oh, and I got this from the same site as the "Polly owned one little sheep" thing.

This is a lipogram. I

am building it word by word for you. It has a formal constraint. It is missing that tiny thing that allows most words. So I can't say much about my guts—or anything—which is good. What I would say most quickly I can't say at all so I won't. Much is off limits. All atrocious, lofty pronunciations of truth must go. Also, any lyrical, alluring romanticism is way out. I simply can't go out of control and drip insidious stanzas about gold sunlight glinting off of a fish pond or crimson zinnias rustling on a hill or birds flying through an indigo sky. I can't wax cynical vicious factual indignant arrogant or optimistic. So I won't discuss my mood. I won't talk about your hair. Good thing. You wouldn't want to put up with all that anyway. It might rub you a wrong way and I wouldn't want that. I can almost list what I won't put into words. But not all of it. I will just put it this way: you thwart my ability to not think. Why can't I just stop?

Cautious, rapt, wildly happy, his mind stuck in clouds,
        a typist bangs away most slowly.

Comment

Ha. Just looked through the spinelessbooks.com site more thoroughly and it looks like they have all of Gadsby online.

Comment

Hm...the Georges Perec book has even been translated into German (I got it on my bookshelf over there...) -I bet that must have been the worst transalting job ever - I don't know about French but, in English and German "e" is the most common letter....

Thanks to bling for the great sig!
            Proud Hussy of Babylon (tm) and resident linguist
            ~CELLO!~
            ~Proud member of the official Dr Radek Zelenka Fan Club!~

Comment

It would be interesting to see what would come out if both e and t were excluded from a piece of work.
              sigpic

Comment

Probably a garbled work with lots of "th"s and "winr"s
                "When all else fails, there's always delusion." - Conan O'Brien

Comment

Working...
                X