This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Atlantis must not fail.

If you think about it wouldn't it be wrong if Atlantis bombed after the first season and SG-1 went on for another three or four. The whole Atlantis/lost city storyline would disappear and SGC would continue whatever as if Atlantis wasn't important.

If Atlantis failed the only way they could end it is if everyone got killed by the Wraith or if Atlantis got destroyed. They couldn't just come back to Earth, because wouldn't you think we go back sometime?

Not that I think it will it looks very good but Atlantis CAN NOT FAIL!!!

Atlantis could fail quite easily. There's nothing written anywhere that says it mandatorily MUST succeed or the entire universe will fall apart. Might be fun to imagine, but sadly, it's untrue. *sigh*

If Atlantis failed... you're assuming that the production team would get notification of cancellation in time to do something about it. That's a bad assumption to make. SCIFI could quite easily pull the rug out from under them with no advanced warning whatsoever. With luck, they might be told, "We'll air the eps you have, but that's it." But it could just as easily be, "By the way, you're cancelled. We won't be needing those eps you just filmed."

If they get SOME advance warning, TPTB might be able to cram something together, but how good it'd look would depend on the skills of TPTB and how much time they have.

Even if they're fully prepared and have plenty of time to wrap up the Atlantis arc, there are plenty of ways to leave things off. As you said, the whole team could be wiped out. Or they could return and just be absorbed back into the SG-1 universe without us ever actually seeing them. After all, we rarely see any team other than SG-1, so it isn't that far out to have them back but unseen. The only hiccup might be Weir, but I'm sure that'd be easy enough to sort out. Or, you could have them continuing on their merry way, having adventures we never get to see. TPTB could always drop a hint or two into SG-1, but they don't necessarily have to do that, either.

Or... you could gear things up so that the Atlantis team is backed into a corner and the situation is looking dire when a monumental discovery is made: evidence of an alien species even more ancient than the Ancients! There are signs that this mystery species might still be around- and might be able to help, but they're located in some impossible-for-the-human-mind-to-grasp other place. There's a one-in-a-million chance to find them using some impossibly old artifact. The team decides to take a chance. They step through the doorway/activate the device, and vanish. Roll credits. That way they're continuing the adventure (maybe) but not in any way that could affect things on SG-1. They're so far removed from the formula that they aren't even on the same shelf in the library.

Plus, of course, if TPTB ever wrote themselves into a corner, they could call on The Ones to appear out of nowhere and save the day. That sounds more like something for an SG-1 movie, though, especially if the casts get reunited.

Comment

I am pretty sure Atlantis will do great in their first season. SG-1 had a very strong first season compared to other sci fi shows I have watched. Some shows have had really bad first seasons (Enterprise, Voyager) to name a few.

Stargate is in its prime right now anyway...
      Lt. Ford to Dr Zelenka: "Is this some sort of payback for me beating up guys like you in high school?"
      - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Hot Zone

Dr. Beckett: "...Mom...I miss you terribly...*breaks down*...I can't do this!"
      - Stargate Atlantis: Season One - Letters from Pegasus

Sen. Kinsey: "Do you trust this man?"
      Col. Jack O'Neill: "...No..."
      Mayboune: *shrugs*
      - Stargate SG-1 - Chain Reaction

Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis I love science fiction

Comment

Originally posted by Stargate Agent
        Stargate is in its prime right now anyway...
        BWAHAHAHA!!!

Oh wait, you were being serious, weren't you? SO sorry! My mistake...

Comment

Pay no attention to Shadow, she's mega-cynical...

Fortunately I have no way of seeing if her complaints are justified, since (ironically, since its a CANADIAN show) I havent seen any eps past season 5 (not counting a few I watched on my friends digital cable...)

For fandoms sake I hope she's wrong for once...
          [email protected]
          http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
          One nation under dog
          There of which I stand alone
          A face in the crowd
          Unsung, against the mold
          Without a doubt
          Singled out
          The only way I know

Comment

Oh come now, JP, if I were all gung ho about Stargate, you wouldn't love me nearly as much. I'd be just as boring as everyone else.

Anyway, I agree that Atlantis will succeed. It might not reach the stellar levels of SG-1, but at the very least, it'll probably get renewed. I hope it does... for McKay's sake.

Comment

The Lone Gunmen was cancelled after about eight episodes, but that didn't hamper The X Files. They just carried right on with the original show and brought the Gunmen back into the X Files for a send-off ep to tie up the spinoff's loose ends.

Similarly, Atlantis might fail, but that wouldn't necessarily affect SG-1.

Madeleine

Comment

The Chris Carter creations past the first few seasons of The X-Files left a really sour taste in my mouth. Including The Lone Gunmen.

I'd like to see Atlantis succeed -- would be interesting to see how it ties into SG-1's main arcs as SG-1 comes to an end (9th season?), and then moves onto its own realm of a strange loneliness yet independence to shine by itself.

It's still too early to say. The last ep. of Angel stood on its own and didn't have to take on the weight of Buffyverse past. Now, if the SG Atlantis team ever came back to Earth (which, they of course will), it's natural to expect crossover. I mean, where else are they going to unload their info apart from the SGC? Even with secondary command bases in a new galaxy, Earth is still the home of these Tau'ri.

But it might be something like Star Trek: TNG and DS9. Voyager didn't have that op. for the most part because it was, well, very far away. But the very convenient nature of the Stargates makes it easy to have characters across HUGE physical spaces, and yet be able to rejoin up as necessary. Effective crossovers, at least in the early seasons of Stargate: Atlantis, would be a fantastic way to further solidify the fanbase.

I can't really think of many people who would watch Atlantis but NOT SG-1, for example. At least not initially.
                Lord TorleYu-wong Chong Techno - create a "Window of Opportunity"

get hooked, click here to listen to "The_Autistic_World_of_Torley.mp3" | dialup version
                more @ torley's techno music and anti-techno music blog

Comment

Even with a touch of the Buffyverse past inserted in the finale, i think it would still stand alone still greatly (From what i've read in articles and stuff that Joss Whedon wanted to do)

Yah, i would like to see some 'passing of the information' between the SGC and Atlantis base, even if its only a little cameo Even if Atlantis gets cancelled, i guess SG1 can still continue with the Atlantis storyline, but just not focused exactly on Atlantis.
                  Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowMaat
                    BWAHAHAHA!!!

Oh wait, you were being serious, weren't you? SO sorry! My mistake...
                    Stargate, in its prime, right now? PSH!

To me Stargate was in its prime seasons 3-5. Now its kinda going up and down throughout the seasons.
                    "...smart, funny, exciting, touching..." - Newsday

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W
                      The Lone Gunmen was cancelled after about eight episodes, but that didn't hamper The X Files. They just carried right on with the original show and brought the Gunmen back into the X Files for a send-off ep to tie up the spinoff's loose ends.

Similarly, Atlantis might fail, but that wouldn't necessarily affect SG-1.
                      THERE WAS A LONE GUNMEN SPINOFF!!!!!

THOSE GUYS RULE!

Oh. It sucked.

Never mind then...
                      [email protected]
                      http://underworld-x.com

I pledge allegiance to the underworld
                      One nation under dog
                      There of which I stand alone
                      A face in the crowd
                      Unsung, against the mold
                      Without a doubt
                      Singled out
                      The only way I know

Comment

Altantis can very well fail. If the team starts to look like a carbon copy of SG1, and they rehash the scripts, I for one aren't gonna keep at it as much.

To me, Stargate's prime began around mid season 3 to season 5. After they killed over Daniel, it became shaky, IMO.
                        Dark Helmet: So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.
                        Dark Helmet: No, it's not what you think. It's much, much worse!

Col. Sandurz: Prepare for light speed.
                        Dark Helmet: No, no, light speed is too slow.
                        Col. Sandurz: Light speed too slow?
                        Dark Helmet: Yes, we'll have to go right to...Ludicrous speed!
                        Col. Sandurz:Ludicrous speed! Sir, we've never gone that fast before. I don't think the ship can take it.
                        Dark Helmet: What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz...CHICKEN?!

Comment

Working...
                        X