This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Neelan_Liquor
    I agree with Hurley in that, being Ben Browder fans, we're more attuned to his performance than the average Joe (so to speak) and that's probably why we noticed him becoming ill. I actually started to believe that he was showing symptoms during his call to the SGC. It was just more obvious when Lam finally arrived.
    You are both probably quite right. Being used to Ben's work and subtle, natural acting makes us read his body language. Neelan, I'm totally with you on the having slight symptoms during the call and beginning to present (seemed distracted, slightly sweaty and just little things in the speech pattern when listing the symptoms and saying "we're all OK" ), but in that scene on Lam's arrival it was just so obvious and pronounced that you knew for certain. I'm just surprised that so many didn't see it, but I've read reports saying he didn't fall down, faint or be carried off, so perhaps some people have to visualise a more flamboyant style rather than the subtleties of someone becoming feverish, before absorbing the information?

Your theory on the immunity situation certainly makes a lot of sense, although Lam didn't know if it's the same virus. However, it had similar pattern of behavior etc, so it could be from a similar family and offer the immunity. However, I wondered about Vala as she wasn't exposed to that, but likewise assume the remains of the symbiote effect would have offered her protection, at least for a period of time.
    Last edited by Kas; 14 August 2005, 11:08 AM.

Comment

"Did I miss any thing?" Mitchell said (it could been what did I) at the end of the episode TPTB. It shows that he wants to know what in the loop.

Also this was at the bottom of Page 2.

Comment

Page 2 - sacrilege!

That's a very good point Greytop. Wow, one little sentence gives us another character revelation. Good call.
        Yes, as well as wanting to learn about everything as background etc, Mitchell wants to be fully informed and part of the loop when it comes to everything that is going on. He's certainly not going to be a passive force.

Comment

Page 2 again. I have to do something.
          I've just read the reply of Joe Malozzi to ShardsofGlass'post on the "Ask Joe Malozzi Thread". What can I say, exept :to have to wait until the 8th episode to see some character development for someone who is supposed to be the lead character, it's quite preposterous !
          Last edited by Hurley; 16 August 2005, 02:03 AM.
          "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
            Page 2 again. I have to do something.
            I've just read the reply of Joe Malozzi to ShardsofGlass'post on the "Ask Joe Malozzi Thread". What can I say, exept :have to wait until the 8th episode to see some character development for someone who is supposed to be the character lead, it's quite preposterous !
            I have been very patient, understanding their reasoning, but they are going overboard being too cautious. I was dismayed to read that from Mazzolli because you are virtually mid-season - due for the very long hiatus - and so many are still saying they don't know, this character...haven't seen him really lead etc... For a new, lead character this does seem a little extreme. Whereas Claudia, as Vala, has had a chance to demonstrate a Wow factor, Ben has not been able to do this. However, he does have 15 more episodes and a permanant integral character, so hopefully, now the new season set-up has been done, he'll get a chance to develop Cameron Mitchell.

There is a good discussion to understand viewers' viewpoints going on at this thread Hurley - if you want to take a gander:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15248

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
              I have been very patient, understanding their reasoning, but they are going overboard being too cautious. I was dismayed to read that from Mazzolli because you are virtually mid-season - due for the very long hiatus - and so many are still saying they don't know, this character...haven't seen him really lead etc... For a new, lead character this does seem a little extreme. Whereas Claudia, as Vala, has had a chance to demonstrate a Wow factor, Ben has not been able to do this. However, he does have 15 more episodes and a permanant integral character, so hopefully, now the new season set-up has been done, he'll get a chance to develop Cameron Mitchell.
              Yes, exactly what I think!
              There is a good discussion to understand viewers' viewpoints going on at this thread Hurley - if you want to take a gander:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=15248
              Thanks. Interesting. Obviously, we aren't the only one to want more Mitchell. I also understand why some people believe this careful introduction is a good think, but it's just too excessive. THIS IS GETTING RIDICULOUS, GUYS!

P.S : I have to precise something : If I've written Joe Malozzi instead of Joe Mazzoli, it's not because I'm mad with the poor guy. Ok, perhaps a little, but it's totally unconsious, I swear! (cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head! )

Comment

Yeah, it is a bit difficult to appreciate a character that hasn't been given much to do yet. I totally understand why Ben was frustrated with his lack of character development. Especially after doing a role like John Crichton which was ALL character develpment.

Good point on the other thread though, that this is the biggest difference between a plot-driven show like Stargate and a character-driven one like Farscape.

I think they actually try to put too much stuff into some of these SG eps, so we end up with eps feeling too short or cut off without appropriate epilogues. There's just so much stuff going on in some eps, that 44 minutes just isn't long enough, but making it a two-parter would be too much time, so we feel like something was left out at the end of the ep.

I think we'll see more Ben next week, with the band back together. And I think Joe's answer was just the short way of saying we'll be seeing more Ben in general, but in Babylon he'd be front and center. It's hard to wait for that, especially knowing that a lot of fans still don't know whether or not they even like the character just because they haven't seen him do enough to decide.

And page two is just... IMPOSSIBLE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
                  P.S : I have to precise something : If I've written Joe Malozzi instead of Joe Mazzoli, it's not because I'm mad with the poor guy. Ok, perhaps a little, but it's totally unconsious, I swear! (cross my heart, smack me dead, stick a lobster on my head! )
                  No, it's my bad Hurley... His name is Mallozzi... put it down to this thumping head I have today!

Originally posted by Neelan
                  Good point on the other thread though, that this is the biggest difference between a plot-driven show like Stargate and a character-driven one like Farscape.
                  Very good point...and they've had a lot to do to kick-start this new set-up, so hopefully, the time is near for Mitchell to take up the military reigns... I mean, they now know, in no uncertain terms, the power and threat that the Ori can deliver.
                  -----

Bringing up another Cameron Mitchell saying:

"How about we pretend I didn't say that?" TPTB to Lam and the same "How about we pretend I didn't say that" in Avalon 1 to Sam.

Mitchell seems to be a guy who doesn't mind expressing his inner feelings, literally conveying his emotions, thoughts and fears even though he may instantly regret doing so! LOL!
                  I've a feeling that we may be seeing a lot more of this phrase as he appears to be a spontaneous soul, not only speaking whatever is on his mind but thinking quickly what to do and reacting to the situation as it presents itself. I like this, his being able to react quickly and intelligently to whatever presents. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of it... I also really like the aspect that he is able to speak of his emotions; his fears etc rather than doing the 'let's bottle everything in' type of personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                    Well, I've been reading some comments in the episode thread now that I've seen it and I must say that I'm amazed that many people are commenting on the fact that Mitchell was sick and that it was out of the blue with no indication... I can't understand this for, as I posted above, I knew he was effected from the moment he greeted Lam on her arrival. He was a sick man! Obviously, I knew he wasn't going to die, but then that isn't the Ori's aim - they want conversions, not deaths....
                    Well, it went over my head and I stare at Mitchell whenever he's on the screen and replay all his scenes. I'll definitely be looking for it next time I watch, though! Good catch!

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                      No, it's my bad Hurley... His name is Mallozzi... put it down to this thumping head I have today!
                      OK, just repeat after me : MALLOZZI, MALLOZZI, MALLOZZI, MALLOZZI, MALLOZZI, MALLOZZI ...

"How about we pretend I didn't say that?" TPTB to Lam and the same "How about we pretend I didn't say that" in Avalon 1 to Sam.
                      I really love these scenes. So touching.

Mitchell seems to be a guy who doesn't mind expressing his inner feelings, literally conveying his emotions, thoughts and fears even though he may instantly regret doing so! LOL!
                      I've a feeling that we may be seeing a lot more of this phrase as he appears to be a spontaneous soul, not only speaking whatever is on his mind but thinking quickly what to do and reacting to the situation as it presents itself. I like this, his being able to react quickly and intelligently to whatever presents. Looking forward to seeing a lot more of it... I also really like the aspect that he is able to speak of his emotions; his fears etc rather than doing the 'let's bottle everything in' type of personality.
                      I think it's another big difference with Jack's character.
                      Last edited by Hurley; 16 August 2005, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kas

Interesting. Taking that a step further... Mitchell says what he is feeling, and then the line "How about we pretend I didn't say that?" is not so much regret that he said it, but a way to let the other person that they don't need to respond. Like, "There. I put it out there. But I don't want to put you in the uncomfortable position of having to respond." Like when he sort of told Sam that he was going to screw things up. I think he wanted her to know this, but if he hadn't added the "...I didn't say that" part, it would almost be incumbent upon Sam to build up his confidence or pay him compliments. And he wasn't fishing for compliments, he just wanted her to know how he felt.

And, of course, now I can't remember why he said that to Lam. I remember that he said it, but I can't remember why.

Comment

Well, didn't Lam as the doctor ask Cam how he was feeling? When she did, he said "tingly." I think he was embarassed to say he felt tingly because it's not very macho and it's a little weird, could be sexual, so he told her to pretend he hadn't said it.

Comment

Ah, that's right, although it's weird that he said it there. I would think that "tingly" would be a good descriptive phrase to tell your doctor after an illness/injury/whatever. Unless, he was worried that she'd keep him in bed and he wanted to get up and get to work, but that does't really follow, I don't think.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                              Interesting. Taking that a step further... Mitchell says what he is feeling, and then the line "How about we pretend I didn't say that?" is not so much regret that he said it, but a way to let the other person that they don't need to respond. Like, "There. I put it out there. But I don't want to put you in the uncomfortable position of having to respond." Like when he sort of told Sam that he was going to screw things up. I think he wanted her to know this, but if he hadn't added the "...I didn't say that" part, it would almost be incumbent upon Sam to build up his confidence or pay him compliments. And he wasn't fishing for compliments, he just wanted her to know how he felt.
                              Very, very good point. I like it... Definitely makes sense when you put it in that context. I notice they quickly said "OK" and knew that they didn't have to say anything further - you're spot on.

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                              Well, didn't Lam as the doctor ask Cam how he was feeling? When she did, he said "tingly." I think he was embarassed to say he felt tingly because it's not very macho and it's a little weird, could be sexual, so he told her to pretend he hadn't said it.
                              This could also relate to those spoilers we've all seen
                              Spoiler:
                              had a past history
                              or not! Perhaps, he thought she may read a sexual connotation into his description and her proximity. It goes full cycle with what Vala said to Daniel when she was 'cured' by the ORI. She felt all 'tingly' and said "don't worry, I'm sure it's not because of you" or something like that. LOL! So, I'm pretty sure that we can assume that the 'healing' power causes that - a sensation all in the nerves/electrical type stimulation...
                              Mitchell could just be trying to ease the situation which we would read as normal for someone coming round, but he may feel the need to make light of if those spoilers are true.

Thoughts?

Comment

Forgot that Vala was tingly after she was "restored", but good point. It's gotta have something to do with how they were both healed/restored.

Originally posted by Kas
                                Mitchell could just be trying to ease the situation which we would read as normal for someone coming round, but he may feel the need to make light of if those spoilers are true.

Thoughts?
                                They're NOT spoilers... they're speculations! As soon as Joe Malozzi (or another ptb) says there WAS history there, it's going to remain speculation. Can we get off of the wife-swapping?

Comment

Working...
                                X