This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kas
    Thanks Hurley... that's really good to know.

---

Going back to the Mitchell calling Daniel Jackson issue for the moment, the more I think about it, I forgot to mention the trigger.

Mitchell went into see Daniel introducing himself on a more casual first-name basis as did Daniel. It wasn't until Daniel said, "I know we owe you one..." that Mitchell had a flashback and changed his demeanor. "Listen Jackson, I don't want you to stay because you think you owe me one." Mitchell's tone snapped into officer mode at this point. Then he says, "Unless of course, you're considering it." Giving a slightly lighter tone but a way out none-the-less.

This was a really fantastic scene acted by the two men... Watch Daniel's indecision - written all over his face - as he reflects on the debt. It was Mitchell's intent to extend a little distance between them, to give Daniel the choice. He wants a team that wishes to work with him and not from any sense of obligation. Ben's switch in tone and manner here were fantastic. From this, I feel that Mitchell's definitely waiting for Daniel to offer to take it to a more informal level again when he's ready and of his own free will. (Fits right in with this season's theme! ).

Wow good catch!Will have to go back and rewatch but that's very subtle but also very logical!

Comment

A thought.......

Jack always said, "Sweet."
      Teal'c always says, "Indeed."
      Cameron will always say, "Wicked."

What do you think?

Comment

Originally posted by BritAngie
        Wow good catch!Will have to go back and rewatch but that's very subtle but also very logical!
        Thanks Angie, it was subtle and beautifully acted. Let me know your impression when you've rewatched it.

Greytop: I agree, that seems to be Cameron's catch phrase - also, a generational thing...giving him the more appropriate slang for his age?
        Along with the "THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
          Along with the "THAT'S what I'm talkin' about!"
          I thought Jack also said that.

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
            I thought Jack also said that.
            I've heard that said by people, but for the life of me, I can't recall him using that phrase or emphasis. Jack would more likely say "see!" etc... I would like examples of where Jack actually used this phrase because I really don't remember him having done so.

Of course it's been a while since I've seen some seasons.
            Last edited by Kas; 10 August 2005, 02:18 AM.

Comment

I have a question. Is anyone else bothered by the way Mitchell has had hardly anything to do since the first episode? And that this Friday's ep is another Vala ep, which probably means he won't have anything to do yet again? I'm starting to wonder why they hired this guy if they're not going to put him to work. Why is his name first in the credits? Doesn't that signify the person with the biggest role? So far, his role has not been very big. I'm confused and not a happy camper. Anyone else?

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass
                I have a question. Is anyone else bothered by the way Mitchell has had hardly anything to do since the first episode? And that this Friday's ep is another Vala ep, which probably means he won't have anything to do yet again? I'm starting to wonder why they hired this guy if they're not going to put him to work. Why is his name first in the credits? Doesn't that signify the person with the biggest role? So far, his role has not been very big. I'm confused and not a happy camper. Anyone else?
                I just think that they are being diplomatic and introducing the character into the show carefully. This is a long established show with many differing fanbases... taking over the lead was a very big step. They are wanting us to grow into the character as they do (they'd already had their fingers burned when they tried to incorporate Jonas) ... I have personally loved the way we have got to know more about Cameron Mitchell each episode. Yes, we have reached the stage now where we want to know more...want to see him have more airtime to develop the character...and we will. The team will be reformed soon and from spoilers, some big episodes are coming up for Ben as CM soon. I wouldn't have said that he's had nothing to do exactly... he was around quite a bit in TTTB... We will see him come into his own once he's successfully 'Got the Band back together'.

I think this was the correct way to introduce his character. The poll on this site bears that out... he's been successfully incorporated into the show and this is the important thing with such a long-running show with massive fanbases. He's liked and accepted. We'll definitely see more of him over this season, never fear!

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
                  You can find the transcripts on : scifigate.net
                  Thanks, Hurley! I'll be checking it out today!

BTW, tell your friends to stay out of the metal alien thingy!

[and if your forum name isn't from Lost, boy, do I look stupid! ]

Comment

Originally posted by Kas
                    Going back to the Mitchell calling Daniel Jackson issue for the moment, the more I think about it, I forgot to mention the trigger.

Mitchell went into see Daniel introducing himself on a more casual first-name basis as did Daniel. It wasn't until Daniel said, "I know we owe you one..." that Mitchell had a flashback and changed his demeanor. "Listen Jackson, I don't want you to stay because you think you owe me one." Mitchell's tone snapped into officer mode at this point. Then he says, "Unless of course, you're considering it." Giving a slightly lighter tone but a way out none-the-less.

This was a really fantastic scene acted by the two men... Watch Daniel's indecision - written all over his face - as he reflects on the debt. It was Mitchell's intent to extend a little distance between them, to give Daniel the choice. He wants a team that wishes to work with him and not from any sense of obligation. Ben's switch in tone and manner here were fantastic. From this, I feel that Mitchell's definitely waiting for Daniel to offer to take it to a more informal level again when he's ready and of his own free will. (Fits right in with this season's theme! ).
                    Excellent catch! And to take it a step further... I bet Mitchell had a lot of sympathy when he was injured and I don't see him as a man that wallows in self-pity. When he saw that Daniel might give in because he thought he owed Mitchell, well, Mitchell didn't want the pity vote. So, besides wanting to give Daniel free will, he didn't want to play the sympathy card.

However, he wanted this team together so bad, that he did give it a fleeting thought when he said, "Unless..."

Comment

Originally posted by greytop
                      A thought.......

Jack always said, "Sweet."
                      Teal'c always says, "Indeed."
                      Cameron will always say, "Wicked."

What do you think?
                      I think it's wicked! I hope you're right!!!
                      But he can let go with the "THAT'S what I'm talking about" any time now. I realize it shows his enthusiasm, but it could get annoying. I think it's okay unitl he gets the team together, but once they are together, that WILL be what he's talking about and he can move on. Hopefully.

Comment

Originally posted by ChillinTheMost
                        I don't see him as a man that wallows in self-pity. When he saw that Daniel might give in because he thought he owed Mitchell, well, Mitchell didn't want the pity vote. So, besides wanting to give Daniel free will, he didn't want to play the sympathy card.
                        Absolutely agree. I doubt that Mitchell would have been up, fit and walking let alone ready to lead an elite team, if he had the self-pitying type of personality. Reminds me of reading the Real Life Air-Force Ace, Douglas Bader's, biography... overcoming the loss of his legs, fighting to survive, learning to walk again and then being accepted back into the RAF, let alone keep escaping POW camps!

Mitchell has this same type of character and you're spot-on, he doesn't want anyone joining him purely from sympathy.

Wow, I think it's amazing the amount of character depth they've managed thus far... really looking forward to seeing Mitchell rounded out and where they take him... We still don't know his kryptonite!

Comment

Chronicling Mitchell:

901 – Avalon, Pt I

Tangibles:

Background – Lt. Colonel Cameron Mitchell.
                          ...In dog fight over Antarctica, he helped take out Anubis’ fleet.
                          ...Impeccable service record; outstanding leadership skills
                          ...Wanted to join SG-1, under direction of Lt. Col Carter; wanted to work with the best and learn from them [of all possible posts open to him, he chose SG-1]
                          ...Was ordered to create new SG-1 under his own leadership

Receives the Medal of Honor: Carter: The Congressional Medal Of Honor is the highest award for valor in action against an enemy force that can be bestowed upon an individual serving in the armed services of the United States Of America. On behalf of the President...

Family Background: Has an Uncle Marvin – unless he was just saying that for effect

Intangibles:

Has respect and awe for SGC and SG-1: the way he touches the Stargate when he first sees it; his orders to protect SG-1 at all costs during battle

A little self-doubt at being suddenly put in charge of a team that doesn’t have the best players on it: from his conversation with Sam: “What if the world needs saving ‘cos I screwed up ‘cos you weren't here in the first place?”

Some type of earlier relationship with Sam Carter.

Some people see a physical likeness between Mitchell and Daniel Jackson: Vala: “…I know nothing about your fair planet, other than it seems to have a rather interesting, if somewhat limited, gene pool.”

Is enthusiastic when working with Jackson and Teal’c.

Leadership skills: Keeping the team focused: Aboard Prometheus: “Alright! Excuse me kids.”
                          In the caves: “Don't make me separate you two.” [Of course, these could also be frustration at the bickering of Vala and Daniel.]

Wry sense of humor: To Teal’c, who doesn’t respond to Mitchell’s joke: “Maybe it's just me, but I'm digging this rapport we've got going between the two of us.”

What the others think of him: After the “Bullets bounce!” Teal’c smiles. Hazing the newbie or approval of his reaction? Or merely laughing at the reaction? When the roof starts lowering, Teal’c asks, “Are you still having fun, Colonel Mitchell?” I think Teal’c is amused by Mitchell’s enthusiasm. It’s been a while since this team has felt that, I think.

Quotes: sometimes, it's just the delivery...

“Actually, it's still kinda SG-Me”

"Wow! Politics really does suck everywhere you go."

"Oh Walter. Doesn't look like we're getting the band back together."

Dave: "People call me Dave." Mitchell: "It say's here, that's your name."

“Whoa! Whoa! Whoa, man!! Bullets bounce!” [the delivery and hand motions of bullets ricocheting made this quote funny.]
                          Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 10 August 2005, 08:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks, Hurley! I'll be checking it out today!

BTW, tell your friends to stay out of the metal alien thingy!

[and if your forum name isn't from Lost, boy, do I look stupid! ]
                            You don't look stupid! I will transmit the message ( and it's a wise advice)
                            I'm not able to make a long speech about Mitchell because of my pathetic english (it's not my first language) but I do appreciate to read all your posts.
                            Considering the lack of sreen time and the fact that TPTB doesn't seem to know yet who is exactly Mtichell, I think B.Browder do a really fine job.
                            Perhaps, I will be able to say more later (if I find a good dictionary.)
                            Last edited by Hurley; 10 August 2005, 08:00 AM.
                            "We will do as I say" Bra'tac

Comment

Family Background: Has an Uncle Marvin – unless he was just saying that for effect
                              There was an older lady in his flashbacks in the hospital that I believe may have been his mother. And I do believe that he has an Uncle Marvin because of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hurley
                                You don't look stupid! I will transmit the message ( and it's a wise advice)
                                I'm not able to make a long speech about Mitchell because of my pathetic english (it's not my first language) but I do appreciate to read all your posts.
                                Considering the lack of sreen time and the fact that TPTB doesn't seem to know yet who is exactly Mtichell, I think B.Browder do a really fine job.
                                Perhaps, I can say more later (if I find a good dictionary.)
                                You're doing fine, Hurley! Speak out about anything, we'll figure it out. Heck, I've had a harder time trying to figure out the posts of some people that I assume English is their first language!

Yikes, Greytop, I forgot to mention his Mom!!! Thanks for adding that. I wonder if we can assume that since his dad wasn't there that he has died? [I know there could be tons of other reasons, too.]

As for his uncle, I don't doubt that he probably has uncles, but I'm not sure if he threw in that comment to make his point. I can see making it up, but he probably didn't. I think there is a slight possiblility that it's like his comment that he flunked fencing, which I seriously doubt happened.
                                Last edited by ChillinTheMost; 10 August 2005, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X