PDA

View Full Version : earth ZPM, new theory for interface

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 09:18 AM
ok we know that our naquada generators are compatable with ancinet technolgy or at least atlantis and the rings/stargates, so why can we use multiple generators in a ZPM interface to better distibute(not sure if thats a correct term) the energy.
from what i can tell our interface it sloppy at best, esp. in atlantis, so if we created a ZPM shaped device; from what i can tell the ZPM is a big crystel or arangement of crystel (presumable with information or programing allowing the device or the thing its plugged in to to draw its power from subspace/time); and our naquadah generators interface with a crystel node, so if we created a node that was shaped like a ZPM so we can plug more NG in to the city, by using a ZPM node to interface the ZPM node to provide a more suitable interface between the two technology's.
basicly its getting an adapter for our technolgy to let us plug in to atlantis better, like going to europe from england :)

comments?
immhotep

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 09:25 AM
if we had the tech to make a zpm adaptor we could probably make a zpm

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 10:22 AM
no because im only talking about changing the way we plug the NG's in, now we use 1 crystel shapped node, plugged in to X socket, but if we made a ZPM shaped node then the NG's might become more compatable with ancient technolgy;
to make a ZPM ius a whole other story, if im correct and the ZPM crystel only contain information for a device to draw its energy from, we might be able to read that information and copy it on to another device that has an exact copy of crystels and the configureion of the crystels as a real ZPM........so really were just pretending to have a ZPM when we really dont, for both senarious.

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 10:24 AM
but just making the interface the same shape as a zpm interface wont necessarily mean it will work and how would we copy this information from crystal to crystal

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 10:25 AM
carter does it all the time, daniel said in lost city...............and it would help because the ZPM power distibutor is alot more efficent at powering atlantis that what we do, if we can plug ourselves in to that then we cna power the city alot better than we are at the moment.

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 10:33 AM
I don't see how where you put the power into Atlantis will make a difference. x Watts are x Watts.

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 10:38 AM
because at the moment our interface with atlantis is sloppy at best, but the ZPM powered t he entire city perfectly, watts are watts yes but you can lose power through resistance or sloppy wireing.........if i recall science lessons properly.

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 10:47 AM
because at the moment our interface with atlantis is sloppy at best, but the ZPM powered t he entire city perfectly, watts are watts yes but you can lose power through resistance or sloppy wireing.........if i recall science lessons properly.Yeah, but it's not the interface that makes a ZPM powerful. It's the fact that it exploits zero point energy which is several orders of magnitude more powerful than anything you could expect from a Naquadah generator.

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 10:50 AM
i know im not saying that we are going to get anything like the power of a ZPM, all im saying is that we could improve the efficentcy of the power we are delivering already.

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 10:55 AM
i know im not saying that we are going to get anything like the power of a ZPM, all im saying is that we could improve the efficentcy of the power we are delivering already.But all you'd be doing is adding in another potential source of inefficiency.

NG -> Atlantis

is more efficient than:

NG -> Some Adapter -> Atlantis

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 11:06 AM
Good point

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 11:41 AM
no but we still have an adapter, it more like this

NG -> single crystel node > secondary power distribution system > atlantis

with the ZPM adapter it would be

NG -> primary distibution through ZPM node >atlantis

we use the secordary not primary system to power atlantis with our NG, it however we could power the city with NG through a ZPM node interface then the city would get the power better because the primart system is a better system for distibuting power than wht we currently use.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 12:04 PM
Ok, yes, X watts does equal X watts, however X watts distributed over X amount of time does not equal X watts distributed over Y amount of time, with one, energy will be being forced into systems faster, and if the systems do not require it, they will overload.

What immhotep is trying to say, is that simply connecting a naquadah generator to atlantis' power grid, is not as easy as it sounds, right now, we bassically plug them in wherever we can find, using our primitive wiring, with wiring there is a slower energy transfer, and energy is lost. With a diffrent type of transfer say through crystals, the energy transfer rate is higher. So, the naquadah generator can produce X watts, but by the time the energy reaches the system in which it is being used, the energy will have been reduced to Y watts.

As for how we could copy information from crystal to crystal, which I don't really think is relevant, but whatever, it is very simple, a crystal stores information like a hard drive, except the information is stored as the structure of the crystal, all you need to do is copy the structure and molecular make up of the crystal.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 12:06 PM
If Owen is in favour then I will agree that it is possible

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 12:07 PM
Ok, yes, X watts does equal X watts, however X watts distributed over X amount of time does not equal X watts distributed over Y amount of time, with one, energy will be being forced into systems faster, and if the systems do not require it, they will overload.

What immhotep is trying to say, is that simply connecting a naquadah generator to atlantis' power grid, is not as easy as it sounds, right now, we bassically plug them in wherever we can find, using our primitive wiring, with wiring there is a slower energy transfer, and energy is lost. With a diffrent type of transfer say through crystals, the energy transfer rate is higher. So, the naquadah generator can produce X watts, but by the time the energy reaches the system in which it is being used, the energy will have been reduced to Y watts.

Owen MacriSo you plug the wires into the crystals, and you still have the inefficiency in the wires.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 12:18 PM
Where did I say anything plugging wires into the crystals, that pretty much defeats the point of using the crystals, as you have said. The crystals draw energy directly from the reactor a crystaline structure in the form of a wire to transfer energy would be fine and it is very achievable.

If Owen is in favour then I will agree that it is possible

lol, but seriously you should think about it and come up with your own conclusion, that's what makes it fun!

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 12:22 PM
lol, but seriously you should think about it and come up with your own conclusion, that's what makes it fun!

Owen MacriI dont doubt that his method is more efficient I am just not sure if it is possible to do it with our level of tech

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 12:26 PM
lol

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 12:31 PM
Lol, ok there is a good answer, and I can elaborate on it. All we would need to do is create custom crystaline structures, and possibly alter a few subroutines, it would be entireley possible, I don't doubt that the Atlantis crew could do it.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 12:38 PM
Lol, ok there is a good answer, and I can elaborate on it. All we would need to do is create custom crystaline structures, and possibly alter a few subroutines, it would be entireley possible, I don't doubt that the Atlantis crew could do it.

Owen MacriI know crystals can be grown - is there any other way to make them?

Also are the zpm crystals normal crystals?

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 12:43 PM
well that is a question, its probable that the ancient used the crystel tech first so may be either more advanced or different to our but i think ingenuity by the SGA team would overcome that pretty soon.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 12:48 PM
Well, you can create the molecular structure in a computer and then convert energy into matter based on that structure, so basically, a matter replicator.

The crystals are probably just strengthend, for safetey. I couldn't see any other diffrence that would be necesary, but then againt there is a lot we don't know about them.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 12:52 PM
How do you strengthen crystals?

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 12:56 PM
You could make them thicker and compact the molecules more, or even change the molecular sturucture of the crystal, to enhance it.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:01 PM
Wouldnt changing the molecular structure affect their purpose?

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 01:03 PM
Yes, and no. It very well could, if you alter the molecular stucture of a pineapple you can make it a slice of chocolate cake, but we would not alter the crystals that much.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:06 PM
Got it lol :)

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 01:08 PM
Ok, glad I could help.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:09 PM
So how much more efficient will this be - I dont mean like 9.45% I mean very efficient, a little etc.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 01:16 PM
Well if you factor in time and energy, and energy saved, and time saved, probably medium efficient, maybe very efficient, on a scale of one to ten, I would say, 6 maybe 7.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 01:23 PM

Owen MacriWhat's that but technobabble with no real backing? Subroutines for what? "Custom Crystalline Structures"? For what purpose, and how?

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 01:30 PM
Yes, and no. It very well could, if you alter the molecular stucture of a pineapple you can make it a slice of chocolate cake, but we would not alter the crystals that much.

Owen MacriNo you couldn't. Pineapples and Chocolate Cakes have different amounts of different atoms in them. There may be some of the constituent atoms required, but to rearrange them would take more effort and energy than could ever be justified in making a chocolate cake.

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:31 PM
ure right it is technobable but its not without backing, see three of us agree and your the one who doesnt; and seeings as you have 11 posts and we have between us over 8000 i think were in a better possition to judge the validity of technobablem which if i may remind you is a key factor in writing the show, as many could tell you.
immhotepI disagree number of posts has no bearing on knowledge

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 01:32 PM
ure right it is technobable but its not without backing, see three of us agree and your the one who doesnt; and seeings as you have 11 posts and we have between us over 6000 i think were in a better possition to judge the validity of technobablem which if i may remind you is a key factor in writing the show, as many could tell you.
immhotep

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:33 PM
Do you really have 3 PhD's If so what in, If not what qualifications do you have

I am just interested I dont mean any offense

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 01:37 PM
I am a chap - If you are insinuating that anyone here relies purely on the net then dont its impolite especially as you are a newbie

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 01:38 PM
ure right it is technobable but its not without backingYep, and when I asked you to clarify yourself, you avoided the matter.

See three of us agree and your the one who doesnt; and seeings as you have 11 posts and we have between us over 8000 i think were in a better possition to judge the validity of technobablem which if i may remind you is a key factor in writing the show, as many could tell you.
immhotepYep, but you three think Jaden works for JPL, and you're still wrong. This is the Science and Tech forum. For discussing Science and Tech, not making stuff up. Made up stuff belongs in Fan Fic.

To the chap or chappette who asked what qualifications I have, I have none formally. I'm self educated. I have a small library which I have built up over the years. That's the difference between me and most of the people on here. If I don't know something, I'll admit it rather than either make something up or scour Google to see what I can find that might make me look intelligent.

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 01:42 PM
I am a chap - If you are insinuating that anyone here relies purely on the net then dont its impolite especially as you are a newbieI wasn't implying anyone in particular did, but it is a common strategy amongst those who wish to appear brighter than they really are.

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
the science and tech thread is here so we can discuss the science and technolgy used within the stargate universe and how it relate to real world science, and also to discuss discovery in science that could relate back to stagate in some way, so in fact the entire section is about discussing made up science just in a way that is relevent to real world science.

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 01:44 PM
If you haven't noticed this is the Science and Technology section. The only reason that you see it as technobable is because you don't understand it, but in fact it does mean something. Yes, I would like to know what your phds are in as well.

The basic subroutines controling power transfer and extraction from the zero point module throughout the city. Custom crystiline strucures so we don't have a hundred of the big crystals they use in Goa'uld ships taking up a ton of room for no reason, by custom I mean in the shape of a wire or something like that.

Owen Macri

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 02:01 PM
oh and ull actually find that this forum and ajoining website has enough information/ is the primary source of information for most stargate based sites/web search results/fans; also most ppl on the website do have three PHD's and usually dont need to ask google, and if i dont know something btw i ask, and that would be why 40% of the GW threads/post are about.

immhotep

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 02:05 PM
Most people on this site do not. I am not posting on a board where over 50% of the members have three PhDs. I am posting on a board where, I would hazard to guess, that over 50% of the members are teenagers.

Qasim
August 3rd, 2005, 02:07 PM
Most people on this site do not. I am not posting on a board where over 50% of the members have three PhDs. I am posting on a board where, I would hazard to guess, that over 50% of the members are teenagers.Whats your point?

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 02:09 PM
Whats your point?
That immhotep just made something up off the top of their head to support their argument. I wish people would put more thought into their posts.

immhotep
August 3rd, 2005, 02:21 PM
ppl on this forum put more thought in to their post than alot of ppl put in to anything! and if 50% of the teens on this forum are half as smart as owne who is btw only 14 why were on the subject then they 1 day might have 3+phds, unlike you who is ' self taught' meaning i didnt go to uni i jsut think im smart cos i have alot of books and was bored one afternoon and decided to learn something.

Three PhDs
August 3rd, 2005, 02:58 PM
ppl on this forum put more thought in to their post than alot of ppl put in to anything!Start a sentence with a capital letter. Into should have been one word. Their "posts", not post. "a lot", not "alot". Again, into should have been one word. See, it appears they don't put a lot of thought into their posts. I'm not trying to make a fool of you, I'm not trying to disagree with you, I'm just pointing a few things out. I show you something, and it threatens what you had accepted before as the status quo.

and if 50% of the teens on this forum are half as smart as owneOwen

who is btw only 14 why were on the subject then they 1 day might have 3+phds,I would be happy if they did. I love it when people make an effort and improve themselves, and three PhDs is quite an accomplishment.

unlike you who is ' self taught' meaning i didnt go to uni i jsut think im smart cos i have alot of books and was bored one afternoon and decided to learn something.The fallacy of ad hominem says more about you than you could ever about me.

aAnubiSs
August 3rd, 2005, 03:35 PM
Self-taught people are often "smarter"/has more knowledge then the average college joe. This due to a self-taught person often has a genuine interest in the subject he's buying books and researching in. Your average college student does it to make alot of money after 4 years of partying :)

The most obvious way to show this is to look at the programmers and 3d-artists. The really good ones are almost always self-taught, or mostly self-taught. If you study programming in college much of the stuff you learned there will be useless when you start working. Someone that took a low level job at some random coding company will have alot of experience with stuff that's gonna be usefull though.

Just my .02

valha'lla
August 3rd, 2005, 03:57 PM
This due to a self-taught person often has a genuine interest in the subject he's buying books and researching in.

Well then again if ur gone take a subject for a few years espeically if its the only course ur taking then u r genually intrested it and by the books and do resarch on it. After all people learn things in differnet ways if u like to learn things on impulse in your own time or actually want to be taught and have a more structured way of learning its up to u its what ever suits u best.:D

Lord §okar
August 3rd, 2005, 05:16 PM
Oh man, I have got to come back to this thread later. *bookmarks*

Skydiver
August 3rd, 2005, 06:55 PM
Ladies and gentlemen

several things

first of all, this is a forum with a wide and varied membership. We have people from pretty much every continent, several countries and all walks of life. we also have members from a majority of the age groups, both genders and a wide representation of employments and educations

second of all, this is the science and tech section of a fictional tv show that is also a scifi show, which means that all tech involved requires a bit of a benefit of the doubt. If all the toys were real, we'd be watching Nova

third of all, the previous two requires that everyone playing here have a level of tolerance for thier other posters. Gateworld's main rule is to respect your fellow poster...and 'proving' that you're 'smarter' than others is not a sign of respect.

debate the topic all you want, but do not debate the posters. Do not insult your fellow posters, do not call them names.

And most of all, especially since this show is SCIENCE FICTION with an emphasis on the fiction, some elements of the show will never be proven, which means, at the end of the day, it's impossible for someone to be 'right' or 'wrong'

I invite everyone to chill out.

also, if there is someone on this forum that just bugs the dickens out of you, there's a cute little thing called an ignore option. don't be afraid to use it

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 07:04 PM
Thank you very much Skydiver. I really just wanted this to be finished. I don't blame you for deleting my last post, I know it was out of line, and I know I really shouldn't have posted it. Thank you.

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 3rd, 2005, 08:04 PM
I disagree number of posts has no bearing on knowledge
You got that right, but just in case they trot it out again:
http://www.gaters.net/member.php?u=775 - 4,501 posts
http://www.sg1archive.com/forums/index.php?showuser=1933 ~ 1,500 posts

_Owen_
August 3rd, 2005, 08:09 PM
Lol, only 4000+! Oh, the second link doesn't work, because you have to log in. Maybe you could post a screen shot instead.

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 3rd, 2005, 09:38 PM
oh and ull actually find that this forum and ajoining website has enough information/ is the primary source of information for most stargate based sites/web search results/fans; also most ppl on the website do have three PHD's and usually dont need to ask google, and if i dont know something btw i ask, and that would be why 40% of the GW threads/post are about.

immhotep
Everyone uses Google! :eek: :eek:

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I don't think we can say that everyone uses google, some people don't even have computers! lol.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 4th, 2005, 02:22 PM
I think he meant people with computers and the internet and was specifically referring to people on this forum

immhotep
August 4th, 2005, 02:55 PM
but if you searched the word telchak device in to google it would most probebly give you a link to gateworld, meaning even for google, were the primary source of info on the stargate & all thing contcerning it.
also if you said The fallacy of ad hominem to people on the forum they wouldnt understand for the most part, however if you mentioned the theory of anceint evolution, most would have a genergal grasp of what that means. reason, this is a stargate forum, meaning stargate knowledge is more relevent than any other type of knowledge, if you can relate it to the real world so be it, but SG knowledge is more imporant on this forum IMO, unless u stick to off topic where any knowledge counts.

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:08 PM
I think he meant people with computers and the internet and was specifically referring to people on this forum
I realised that... maybe. lol.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 4th, 2005, 03:10 PM
Lol, you are exactly right.

Owen Macri

_Owen_
August 6th, 2005, 03:28 PM
I am conitinuing a discussion about this subject in this thread, that was started in another thread, about this thread. lol.

Fair enough, but I don't see how it will change anything. It's like having a computer with a slow PCI bus and a fast processor. Slowing down the processor won't make the machine more efficient.

No, you are right, decreasing the power transfer rate won't make the system more efficient. Connecting the naquadah generators to the Zero Point Module terminals, makes the system more effective, decreasing the power transfer rate is simply something which you would need to do in order for this to work.

How do we know any of the crystal is excess? If it is, why haven't the Goa'uld or anyone else using the technology not realised this and reduced the amount used?

Ok, I think this is my fault for not explaining it properly, give me a couple minutes and I will put together some pictures.

EDIT: Ok, here is a picture, does this help?

http://img333.imageshack.us/img333/5606/naquadahzpmpowerdiagram4ft.th.png (http://img333.imageshack.us/my.php?image=naquadahzpmpowerdiagram4ft.png)

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM
No, you are right, decreasing the power transfer rate won't make the system more efficient. Connecting the naquadah generators to the Zero Point Module terminals, makes the system more effective, decreasing the power transfer rate is simply something which you would need to do in order for this to work.More effective in what way? Or at least, in what context?

Ok, I think this is my fault for not explaining it properly, give me a couple minutes and I will put together some pictures.

Owen MacriCheers, I'll wait for them. :)

_Owen_
August 6th, 2005, 04:32 PM
More effective in what way? Or at least, in what context?

With the current setup we have energy entering the power grid of Atlantis at random points, that probably weren't meant to recieve energy, Atlantis is supposed to be powered by three ZPMs nothing else.

Currently we have diffrent naquadah generators powering diffrent parts of the city, so if one stops working power to that whole section will go out.

If we hook the nauqadah generators into the ZPM ports, they will be providing power to an area that is used to accepting it, and will spread its' power throughout the city, more than three naquadah generators could be attached. Then the parts of the city which we are not occupying, we can cut off so we aren't wasting any power. As well, if one of the naquadah generators fails, power can be routed to those parts of the city from the other generators.

Cheers, I'll wait for them.

I have added the picture to my last post, if you would like I can repost. It is a thumbnail, you can click on it to make it larger.

Owen Macri

Qasim
August 8th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Could you please explain the pictures for people like me :)

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 12:44 PM
With the current setup we have energy entering the power grid of Atlantis at random points, that probably weren't meant to recieve energy, Atlantis is supposed to be powered by three ZPMs nothing else.

Currently we have diffrent naquadah generators powering diffrent parts of the city, so if one stops working power to that whole section will go out.

If we hook the nauqadah generators into the ZPM ports, they will be providing power to an area that is used to accepting it, and will spread its' power throughout the city, more than three naquadah generators could be attached. Then the parts of the city which we are not occupying, we can cut off so we aren't wasting any power. As well, if one of the naquadah generators fails, power can be routed to those parts of the city from the other generators.Yeah, but that's assuming a central base of power distributed to all other parts is more efficient than simply lighting up the little bits that you need. For example... a naquadah generator in the main core to power something at the outskirts of the city may have to go through several miles of whatever conductive substance the atlanteans used, facing resistance as it goes. It would make more sense to me for such a small task force given the relative size of the city to just take power to where they need it when they need it.

I have added the picture to my last post, if you would like I can repost. It is a thumbnail, you can click on it to make it larger.

Owen MacriYeah, but a smaller conducive path such as you have indicated is by no means any better. Take for example what would happen to a piece of copper wire thin as your shoelace if you were to put a few thousand volts through it.

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 01:48 PM
No, you are missing the point. Did you look at my picture? having a wire shaped crystilline sturcture instead of a bunch of akward shaped larger crystals, is not efficient because they take up too much room, the wire shaped crystal can be as big as you want it, but it is still more efficient to make it custom.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 02:39 PM
No, you are missing the point. Did you look at my picture? having a wire shaped crystilline sturcture instead of a bunch of akward shaped larger crystals, is not efficient because they take up too much room, the wire shaped crystal can be as big as you want it, but it is still more efficient to make it custom.

Owen MacriYou make one error, and that is assuming that the existing crystalline structure is that big for no reason. We've seen nothing to suggest that. You also assume (as a secondary point) that larger size is equivalent with inefficiency, which again we've seen nothing to suggest.

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 03:22 PM
When it comes to electricity, extra conduit width is actually more efficient since resistivity is inversely proportional to the diameter of the stuff you're trying to pipe it through.

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 03:43 PM
When it comes to electricity, extra conduit width is actually more efficient since resistivity is inversely proportional to the diameter of the stuff you're trying to pipe it through.I thought as much, just didn't wish to state it explcitly. Bless me father, it has been 9 years since I was in an electronics class.

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 03:55 PM
No, you are both missing the point, it is not the size of the crystal. A custom crystal that fit perfectly, would be more efficient than several pre-made crystals of assorted shapes and sizes tacked together. Did you look at the picture I posted, I thought that would have cleared up this misunderstanding.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM
No, you are both missing the point, it is not the size of the crystal. A custom crystal that fit perfectly, would be more efficient than several pre-made crystals of assorted shapes and sizes tacked together. Did you look at the picture I posted, I thought that would have cleared up this misunderstanding.

Owen Macri
So are we to assume that existing designs don't use custom crystals, and instead tend toward "random jumbly crystals"

Also, as Lord Sokar has pointed out, a random collection of large Crystals would have a lower resistance than a thin piece of crystal like your diagram, and hence would therefore be more efficient.

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 04:40 PM
No you are completley missing the point now. The crystaline wire can be as thick as you want it, but it will be "neater" with a custom crystal. I don't know how to explain it in anymore detail, perhaps someone else could take a shot at it.

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 04:42 PM
Of what relevance is its neatness to its efficiency? Crystals are not malleable, they're extremely brittle, so why would you put them in a wire prone to bending?

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 04:47 PM
Come to think of it, crystals are completely insulative materials, no free charges at all, so there's no way they could conduct electricity anyways.

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 04:59 PM
Aye, neatness has nothing to do with efficiency. We're not mising the point Owen, you are. A truly efficient conduit of power would be one massive block of crystal (if crystal conducted power at all).

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 05:03 PM
No, you are still missing the point, please look at my picture again, perhaps you will realise what I am talking about. Each of the little blocks are individual crystals.

They have used crystals in Stargate to transfer energy, so there must be someway that they can.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 05:07 PM
No, you are still missing the point, please look at my picture again, perhaps you will realise what I am talking about. Each of the little blocks are individual crystals.

They have used crystals in Stargate to transfer energy, so there must be someway that they can.

Owen MacriSmall thin wire-like crystals = high resistance
Lots of blocks of large crystals = low resistance

It's not hard to understand.

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 05:09 PM
Ok, think of it like this, try connecting two ends of a AA battery using screwdrivers, (no bendable ones). Now wouldn't it be far easier to simply use a wire, or a piece of tin foil. Does this help you understand?

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 05:20 PM
Ok, it's easier, but it's more efficient to use the screwdrivers.

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 05:23 PM
Ok, think of it like this, try connecting two ends of a AA battery using screwdrivers, (no bendable ones). Now wouldn't it be far easier to simply use a wire, or a piece of tin foil. Does this help you understand?

Owen MacriNon sequitir. A crystal, whether wire shaped or block is still as sturdy as ever. If this is what your argument has come down to, that a wire would be neater... well, fair enough, have wireshaped crystal, it won't be any more efficient (if anything, less efficient owing to the increased resistance of a thin conductor).

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 05:28 PM
For the last time, no one said it had to be thin, you can make it as thick as you want! And no it is not just neater it is more efficient, have you actually tried touching the two ends of a battey with screwdrivers it is nearly immpossible, and very difficult, the same is true with crystals you would have to strap them together or glue them together or something, but it would be far easier, and more efficient for a person you just use a single customized crystal the exact shape and dimensions that you need it.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 8th, 2005, 05:32 PM
For the last time, no one said it had to be thin, you can make it as thick as you want! And no it is not just neater it is more efficient, have you actually tried touching the two ends of a battey with screwdrivers it is nearly immpossible, and very difficult, the same is true with crystals you would have to strap them together or glue them together or something, but it would be far easier, and more efficient for a person you just use a single customized crystal the exact shape and dimensions that you need it.
Owen MacriEver used a camera? You'll note that the opposing ends of the batteries are joined by a tiny strip of metal, with no need for extensive wires or such. Seriously, how is your method any more efficient? By what logic do you satisfy that claim?

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 05:38 PM
Yes, I have used a camera and yes this is true in many other devices, however in this situation a strip of metal would be fine because it is connecting opposing ends of more than one battery to create a circut, try connecting the two ends of the same battery with some of those little metal strips. It is easier with a wire, therefore, more efficient for the person connecting the two ends of the battery.

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 08:15 PM
It is easier with a wire, therefore, more efficient for the person connecting the two ends of the battery.
No. Ease of construction/operation does not equate thermodynamic efficiency.

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
No, I am not talking about thermodynamic efficiency, I am talking about the efficiency of the construction.

Owen Macri

Lord §okar
August 8th, 2005, 09:12 PM
So this is all about... aesthetics?

_Owen_
August 8th, 2005, 09:18 PM
Aethestics, ease, and efficiency of creation. Yes, if "this" reffers to customized crystiline structures.

Owen Macri

Three PhDs
August 9th, 2005, 12:54 AM
So it'll look nicer, but it'll take more time to create and won't be as efficient at power distribution?

_Owen_
August 9th, 2005, 08:05 PM
For the last time, you can make the crystals as thick as you would like. It might take longer to make but it also may not with the Asgard matter replicators, the transporters could do it, as well as the Stargate.

Owen Macri